Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01 pm

I've decided to try intermittent fasting. Same calories as normal, but eating in a smaller window than I have been. I will let my body determine on a daily basis what that window looks like - but I am going to try to eat only between noon and 8 pm, with alternate days being noon and 4 pm. Maybe this will kick start some fat burning. I have been slowly adjusting my macros to the point that I am HFLC. I haven't been consistent at the low carb but I am focusing on that now. I'm tracking in MFP as it keeps me more focused on eating clean and healthy.

Talked to mom. Her fish died. She's sad. She thinks she trained it Smile I think its cute - and maybe it is trained, who knows? She said when she goes to the bowl and talks to it it comes to side of the bowl, and then if she blows on its tail fins it will swim backwards. Mind you, she has a healthy case of MD so its hard to say exactly what she sees the fish doing. Smile Either way - it brought her joy and she misses it. My sister said she is going to get her another one.

The weather is finally cooling down! We have had a ridiculously long stretch of high 80's to high 90s! Pretty much the entire months of July and August. I will get back to my daily walks now that the temps will be more comfortable.

Hubby will go up to the lake and bring the boat him this weekend. It needs a good cleaning! We are having issues with the water pump and for some reason the batteries are draining sooner than they should. There are "house" batteries that run stuff like the fridge and lights and outlets. Then there are engine batteries. Its the house batteries that keep running low. Hopefully hubby can figure it all out before next season.

Hubby talked to the builder that is going to rebuild our shop. Turns out she's been down with a severe case of shingles for the past 2 weeks. Poor guy! He even had it inside his mouth! He said he will be over next week to talk to us about the start date and the process of demo. We are ready to get this project underway. We've been trying to find a builder and settle things with the city and county for almost 3 years now. At least we have the cash saved and if all goes well we won't go over budget.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:12 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Tomi I would definitely take care of the wiring issue post haste.  That is a fire issue and based upon the other items, it sounds like a tinder box.  Then slowly tackle each item as you can.

Truth be told - the entire place could burn to the ground and I wouldn't care. I'm living in the house that hubby bought with his ex, and I sleep in the bedroom that they shared. I'm not exactly emotionally attached to this house. The only thing I worry about is all the records for the business that are here. I have a back-up for Quickbooks on CD that I keep in my purse at all times just in case something happens. I'd hate for hubby to lose all his stuff from India though........... that would be horrible. But - it's all just "stuff". We can't take it with us so I really don't attached to material things. Except maybe my Jeep Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:10 pm

The temp has finally dropped below the "this is hell" level Smile I walked this morning, but just a short distance. I think my phone said 1/2 mile. I just wasn't feeling the energy. I felt that "drain" happen and was feeling a bit light headed so turned around and came home. I got the business stuff done and started some squash baking.

With my eating schedule as it is I am not eating dinner with hubby. I don't like that, but I also don't like eating dinner at 7:00 pm. I'd much prefer to eat earlier so my tummy isn't still full when we go to bed at 10. I'm still getting the bloat and slight pain after I eat, so the earlier the better for comfortable sleeping.

I am using up the Einkorn flour by making bread for hubby. He loves it and I love the smell in the house! I did eat a small bit of the loaf I made last week, but since I decided to go for it on the keto diet again it is easy for me to turn down his offers for a "bite".

I'm trying to stay around 30 grams of net carbs. I have MFP set at 10% carbs, 60% fat and 30% protein. I think hard core keto is less carbs and more fat - but this is as low as I'm willing to go for now.

Overall I'm feeling better. Certainly better than I was in October of last year when I had no choice but to quit my job at the clinic. But still far from where I hope to be by October of next of year. I'm 3 months into the anti-viral meds, 6 months into the seriously strong vitamins and other supplements. My last labs looked good, but I'm wondering if we should do another urine analysis to see if there is an improvement in absorption. I will ask NP about this next week. It might not hurt to do another urine and stool analysis to see if there are any changes. My gut is still very sensitive and I must keep my diet very strict.

I am writing most of this just as a mental exercise for myself -- not so much for informing any readers of what is going on. It helps me to go over it often so I don't fall into the "hurry up and get better" pit.

My life is very small right now due to my health issues. I can go a week or two without ever leaving home except to go for a walk or an errand run to the store and/or bank.

I watched a show called "Afflicted" on Netflix. It is about chronically ill people who have things like multiple chemical sensitivity, electromagnetic sensitivity, chronic fatigue, or a combination of multiple autoimmune disorders. It is astounding the money they spend to try to even diagnosed - and then to find a treatment! Hundreds of thousands of dollars! Almost all of the "alternative treatments" are not covered by insurance. One guy was a personal trainer - very fit, very active, very outgoing and full of life - then one day he felt "off" and that began his downward spiral to the point that his is completely bedridden and can barely move. They gave him a dx of chronic fatigue (ME/CFS) said to have been brought on by a car accident he was in at the age of 17. It took about 8 years for his body to completely break down to the point where it could no longer function. The medical community is beginning to recognize that physical or emotional trauma can manifest in these types of disorders. But they don't yet know what to do about it, how to treat it, or how to help the patient regain their life.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:00 am

Amusing story about the pet fish, I hope a new one will bring similar delight to your mom. Glad you are feeling a little better.

Emotional and physical health are definitely linked in mysterious ways.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:12 am

I had pet fishes for years. They even went camping with me.

One time the bowl fell over due to wind and the tent. I got back to the tent in time to save my fishy.

When my AZ friends left town I almost asked for another fish from their waterfall ponds. I then decided I didn't need that responsibility any longer.

Glad your sister is getting your mom another fish.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks, Annieh! It sure does feel better to feel better Wink

Pam - what a funny story!!! I'd kinda like mom to get a cat - a nice, gentle senior aged cat that can lay on her lap and love her.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:29 pm

My son is shutting me out. Not sure why. Since our "issue" on the 4th of July I have not spoken to him except for a very brief phone call when he told me he was "dealing with other things" and "could we talk later?" Later has not come. There has been one text concerning the cell phone plan to which he responded "I'll keep that in mind". I sent him a text this morning but so far no response. I'm worried - but can't do anything. He's an adult and maybe he just needs mom to back off. But - this mom's heart is hurting. He is my only child.

The intermittent fasting is working pretty well, although I am feeling hungry in the evenings. I used to have a small snack around 8:30, and usually a little something in the afternoon. I'm trying to end the snacking habit. So, I'm having my protein drink at noon, maybe a little bacon around 2 and then dinner at 4:00. Dinner is 6 ounces of protein, a low carb veg, and lots of fats. I do feel good about what I'm doing - I think its helping me stay clean and focused. My gut is happy and my energy is stable. Sleep could definitely be better. Seems I remember having sleep issues with going low carb, so I'm hoping if I stick it out that will fix itself. I hear such great things about HFLC eating, I really want it to work for me. I may not be in ketosis, doesn't much matter to me. I don't think a true keto diet would be best for me right now. If I can average 50 grams of carbs a day I will be happy with that.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Happy to hear your shorter eating window seems to be working so far
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:05 pm

When I worked in a long term care hospital and mostly cared for patients on ventilators, many of them had fish. Obviously the staff cared for them as the patients could not, but we enjoyed it. They all had names, and yes, they had distinct personalities and characteristics. They were surprisingly good company, responsive to attention and quite beautiful.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:36 pm

well, I hope the next fish brings her just as much companionship and joy. Smile We have a Koi pond with both Koi and regular goldfish and there is one fish that is a real character! I think he has a food addiction! He will stop and look right at me when I come to feed them - and he gets all excited and is the first one to start eating! Needless to say - he is also a tubby little guy!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:15 pm

We had a really good weekend! Hubby and a friend went up to the lake early Saturday morning and brought the boat home. It was a sad thing to see the boat in the driveway - but I was also kinda relieved. Having summer come to an end is a welcome thing this year. Sunday afternoon we cleaned it up and brought in all the "stuff" that we keep on the boat to make it livable over the summer. Saturday afternoon we snuggled on the couch and watched 4 hours of "fails" videos on Youtube. Yes - four hours! Smile and we laughed and laughed! It was fun! We sat together on the patio for many, many hours as well. We love being together. Smile I am a very blessed woman to be sharing my life with this man.

Food was good. I strayed slightly from my eating window, and didn't track or count carbs at all. I think I will better at this if I let the weekends relax a bit.

I see NP on Thursday. I feel like I've not had much improvement lately - but then, it could be so slight that I haven't noticed. My gut does seem to be better - but my energy level seems to have settled into a no growth period. I might need more an additional anti-viral. The CMV does not respond to Valcyclovir according to a study I read. I printed it out to ask NP what she thinks about it.

Gotta payroll numbers to the accountant today and clean up some business stuff on my desk. Its a beautiful day outside! I wish I had the energy to go for a bike ride.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Tomi I’ve actually notice quite a bit of improvement with you. Go back a few months and see all the stuff you’ve been doing lately.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:02 pm

^1+
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:29 pm

Oh yes - definitely improvement since I started the antivirals!  But I feel like things have stalled a bit.  Maybe I'm expecting too much too fast?  (my MO!)
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:54 pm

Hubby is having dinner with youngest daughter tonight for her 26th birthday - which was Friday. She ran in the relay called Hood to Coast on Friday and Saturday. It goes 199 miles from Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood to Seaside, Oregon. She had 3 legs with a total of something like 20 miles. My nieces husband also did the run. Oldest daughter was a volunteer at one of the service stops for water and bathroom, she did this as her birthday gift to her sister.

I heard from my son today. His text said he was fine and there was no need to worry. I'm still wondering why he's become quite distant - but I won't press. He needs to come to me when he's ready. At least I know he's okay. He's supposed to be getting his own cell phone plan by the end of the month so I needed to ask about that and he said as soon as Dennis releases the number from our plan then he will take care of it.

So he's okay and I need to stop being the worrying mom and let him be.

Back to HFLC in my eating window today. I didn't track today but I would estimate I had around 50 or 60 grams of carbs. More than normal - due to Coconut milk in my protein drink, and a few cashews (yes, I did say I wasn't going to buy more - but I did) I made gluten free salmon cakes for dinner, with just a little gluten free oat flour to give it body. I had about 10 grams of carbs from that. The cakes were wonderful! I made a sauce with avocado mayo and spicy brown mustard. I had 1 cup of squash with a blob of butter and cinnamon.

We've decided the front yard shrubs need to be replaced. Its mostly rhodies out front - and probably 80% of them are in ill health. When we had to move back the front lot line due to the park development and the need for a walk path in front of our property - we needed to move several of the rhodies and azaleas, and they were not tenderly moved. Sad Almost all of the azaleas have died. So - I have a new project to work on. Researching what to plant. Smile We need easy to care for shrubs that won't grow more than 4 -6 feet tall. We want to do lots of Japanese Maples - with a variety of sizes and colors. I also want to plant a Dogwood. We need some low growing evergreens and some flowering bushes. The area is mostly shaded, but very poor soil. So, I think this will require digging holes big enough to fill in with good healthy dirt.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:34 am

Tomi, we all progress at our own rate.  I remember when you wished you had the energy to do more than nap on the couch and do one thing a day.  You have come a very long way.  It is hard when it feels like things have stalled, but remember this is when your body is healing and getting ready for another "wellness" spurt.

I hear you about your son.  I have found that they reach out sporadically, so I remind myself that they are men and are busy with their lives.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Kathy - you're right. As always, patience is not my strong suit. I will settle in and try to remember that my body is healing.

I have increased my digestive enzymes and my gut is happier. Smile

We are losing an employee - J has been with us since 2011. He's been a great employee and will be missed. I'm feeling very sad about this, but happy for him and his new direction. So we've moved our p/t guy up to f/t and he's happy about that! Smile So, everyone wins. Plus, our overhead is now less. Just not sure we can manage with one less man. Might need to hire someone before next spring. We won't hire just anyone - hubby needs to know them personally, and know that they will fit into the family.

I'm loving the cooler temps! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 am

Sorry to hear you lost an employee. I can so relate. We just hired a new guy and I’m hoping he’s a good fit.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:54 pm

NM - I hope your new guy works out. Smile

I'm not feeling my best today. My gut is off again - who knows why? and I'm not sleeping. I will be asking NP for a script for sleeping pills. Hubby has threatened to call her himself if I don't ask this time. My appt got moved to next week.

I still haven't resumed my daily walks. My energy is just not there and being away from home when the tank runs dry scares me, so for now I am just trying to get movement around the house and yard. Its better than nothing.

Well - the 2 grown kids that have been on our cell phone plan for the past 18 years are now officially on their own! For some reason this brings me a feeling of relief! Its just the final step in having them be adults and self-sufficient. My son could have been on his own plan several years ago - but since oldest step daughter kept asking for more time I didn't think it was fair to cut off one and not the other. We told them last year was the break - but she asked for one more year cuz she said she couldn't afford her own plan. So - now its done and I'm glad. They have been paying their portion since they started working but still --- it is just easier this way, and makes them completely financially independent. At 32 and 29 years of age, I think its time. I got very tired of having to monitor the data usage, cuz they would forget to use WiFi.

Its strange that all 3 kids are still single. None of them are dating anyone right now. The youngest just turned 26, and she is the only one who has had a serious relationship where marriage was a strong possibility. Oldest step daughter still has not been in a long term relationship, and has only really dated 2 guys for a very short time each, and she was not too keen on either of them. My son has yet to have a healthy relationship. He seems to attract women who are emotionally unstable. Oldest step daughter is the only one of the 3 who wants babies, and it is not looking promising for her. But, as I've said before, I wouldn't be "grandma" to her child anyway - she barely claims me as her step-mom. Whatever......... I've finally reached the point of not caring. You can only chase after someone's love for so long and then you realize its never gonna happen. Of course - its still hurts a bit, I just don't hope anymore. Life is too short to worry about such things.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:56 am

I tried some "gluten free" stuff over the past few days - scale is up 6 pounds. Bummer!

Sleep last night was very bad. Consequently my energy level today is very low. My visit with NP can not come soon enough! I long for restful sleep. I think tonight I am going to skip the skullcap and Best Rest because it seems that neither one are doing any good.

Will be doing some more research on HFLC eating. I'm obviously not doing it right.

I have a friend coming over today. Smile

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Hooray for offspring becoming self sufficient, it is no surprise to me that your feeling is of relief.

As for still being single, I believe that is fairly usual for this generation.

Enjoy your friend's visit and may your energy increase again.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:19 pm

If the GF stuff was pasta and desserts, I have learned I need to avoid them if I want to drop weight.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:23 pm

I too do not do well on GF stuff. Seems to me corn tends to be a culprit for me and most GF stuff is made with it. I have to avoid all grains.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:15 am

gluten free waffle mix. and yes, I've had this happen before. I seem to be hard headed and don't learn my lessons easily. Rolling Eyes

The visit with my friend was loads of fun! Much laughing and a few tears. Smile Love my friend.

Having a lot of fibro pain tonight. I keep going out in the front yard to stand in the cool grass cuz my feet on fire and my legs are throbbing. Sad Will they ever find out why and how to treat this stupid disorder? There is absolutely NO reason for the pain and burning, but it certainly is REAL.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:10 am

I may be repeating the obvious, but Just remember that GF just means no wheat, rye, barley. It is still loaded with other grains and corn, all of which bring on a ton of carbs. I'd try no grains or corn at all, see if it also doesn't help with your fibro pain also. IMO no bread, cakes or pies, no pasta, are the starting points for low carb. Check your cooking oils also and dump corn, canola, soy. I'd also drop all soft drinks, seems to me to be a big enabler of poor eating.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next