Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:45 am

Okay - not a fan of the pecans. They are rather tasteless, a lot like walnuts without the bitterness. I much prefer my cashews!

Today was rough - after my shower at 3:00 my energy tanked a little. Then I ate at 4:30 - salmon with cooked cauli and broc, topped with colby jack and a little avo mayo. I also took 2 keto electrolyte capsules. About 2 hours later I was falling asleep on the sofa, feeling light headed and nauseated. I had 3 quick dashes to the bathroom. I believe the magnesium is to blame for the waterworks. There is only 35 mg per capsule. But, every single time I've taken it I have the same result. It acts like an ex-lax! So, I just ordered plain potassium and Himalayan Pink Sea Salt. I went to bed at 8:30, dozed for just about 30 minutes then woke up and have not been able to fall asleep again. I've taken skullcap and melatonin. And 2 tylenol for a slight headache. It is now 12:40 am. What the heck??? I feel very sleepy - but am unable to fall asleep.

I've had this "keto flu" stuff everyday this week - starting last Friday. I am not happy about it. I need to figure this out if I'm going to continue the eat this way. It seems to come and go.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:33 am

"During the first few weeks of your keto lifestyle, whenever you develop a headache, lethargy, nausea, dizziness or other symptoms, drink a glass of water with half a teaspoon of salt stirred into it. This simple action may alleviate your keto flu symptoms within 15 to 30 minutes. Feel free to do this twice a day or more, if needed.

Or for a tasty alternative, drink consommé, bouillon, bone broth, chicken stock or beef stock — and stir in a spoonful of salted butter, if you like. Or, if you’re using low-sodium bone broth or stock, add a pinch or two of salt.

In addition, make sure you’re drinking enough water. The larger you are, the more water you’ll probably lose in the early stages of keto, and the more you’ll need to replace. A good rule of thumb is to drink a minimum of 3 liters of fluid every day during the first week of your keto diet."

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/flu-side-effects
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:13 pm

thanks, Lovebird!!! I did the salt water yesterday, and took Tums for the nausea. I probably need more water. I have organic chicken stock - will drink that today. I also have beef broth.

I'm having all those symptoms accept sugar cravings and irritability.

I was awake until 3:00 am. At 2:30 hubby woke up and saw me trying to stretch, as my hip muscles were tightening up and giving me a restless leg type thing. He got me up and we sat in the hot tub for about 20 minutes. Went to bed and fell right to sleep until 8:15. I'm dragging today, but am thankful for the 5 hours of sleep! gonna try to nap as need be.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:34 pm

Sorry about your sleep last night. I too had difficulties and mine was not from keto. Smile

Hopefully tonight will be better after you’ve concentrated on water and broth.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Went to bed at 9:00 - asleep by 9:30 and was up multiple times to potty. Slept until 6:30. Nine hours is my magic number.

I've decided to up my carbs a bit to see if that helps with this horrible yuck that is hanging over me. When I was eating 30-50 carbs I didn't feel this way - but when I dropped to 20 or under I started feeling like crap. Maybe thats just too low with all the other stuff my body is dealing with at the moment. I'm adding salt, I've been taking the electrolyte pills. I ate a whole avocado yesterday. I'm drinking lots of water and broth. Its not helping. For breakfast ate 3 eggs with bacon and added salt. I'm still feeling weak and nauseous. I really don't like this and if I can't fix it I'm ending my keto diet. I thought I would be feeling so wonderful by now - but I feel like crap! Hubby is a bit frustrated with it all.

The shop got broke into last night. They took 2 small outboards motors - one was a junker. They left behind a box of stuff - probably removed it from the trunk of their car and forgot to put it back in before the left. Maybe the police can find them cuz there are papers with names and other information in the box. Little bastards!

The weather has cooled again - thank goodness!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:33 pm

So sorry Tomi. I'm sure that smart move of leaving those items behind will be their downfall and help the police to catch them. At least nobody got hurt.

Tomi wrote: For breakfast ate 3 eggs with bacon and added salt. I'm still feeling weak and nauseous. I really don't like this and if I can't fix it I'm ending my keto diet. I thought I would be feeling so wonderful by now -

Why didn't you add some sweet potato to that breakfast meal? Back off of the keto limit of 20 and go up a little in carbs while cutting back on the fat until you feel good again. Talk to your doc about it and see what she has to say. You deserve to feel good. *hugs* You could ease back in later by slowly lowering your carbs again. Can't imagine feeling like that for a whole week and not throwing the towel sooner, you're a tough cookie! You'll get there.

Happy to hear you reached your magic sleep number last night. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks, Lovebird! I don't have any sweet potato or I would have done that. Smile I did eat about 3/4 cup of rice for dinner last night. My house is pretty clean of carbs right now. Hubby bought some grapes last night and I will have some in a while. If I am "fat-adapted" by now then I should be able to up the amount of clean carbs and back off on the fat without causing weight gain, bloat or anything like that.

As for the break-in, the police went through the box and it was just garbage. There were a few used syringes so its a good thing hubby didn't go digging through the box! The police said there was nothing in the box that could lead them to the tweakers who broke in. The good thing is they didn't really take anything of an value. Both motors that were taken were stock inventory - used junk. Not customer motors. So we aren't liable to replace anything - thank goodness. The worst we are out is the gate lock. Hubby will replace that for about $50. He says they make one that is impossible to cut. We've decided to go back to a monitored security system. Why is there this element of "evil" that makes the rest of us have to be on high alert all the time? I grew up in a small town where we never locked our homes or cars. At least not until I was in high school -- then things started to change. Actually hubby's brother still lives there and he never locks his house.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:17 pm

I agree with LB, go back to 30-40 grams of Carbs and see how you feel.

Sorry about the break-in.  Glad it was not too bad financially.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:17 pm

thanks, Pedidoc Smile Thats what I'm going to do. I've adjusted the settings on MFP to 50grams of carbs. I am feeling better today - at least so far. Smile

Hubby came home and said he realized the other missing outboard was a customers so we are out about $500 to replace it. We won't make a claim cuz it will just make our rates go up. Insurance is such a racket!

I'm calling a local security company on Monday to get a system installed and set up the monitoring. Hubby got a recommendation from a friend of his who owns an auto repair shop in the same area of town.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Sorry about the breakin.  Leaves you feeling uneasy I'm sure.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:29 pm

I’m going to agree with the others about upping the carbs a bit. Some people have great keto with 50 grams. It really is individual just like primal.

So sorry about the shop and the mess. I would think they could lift some finger prints from the garbage and maybe DNA from the syringes, but I’m not the police.

Hopefully the monitoring system will help.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm feeling even better than when I posted early today Smile  It has to be the carbs.  All the nausea is gone and I'm thinking clearer and having more energy.  Smile  I will not go under 30 carbs from now on - and not over 50.  Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone.

Yes, the break-in makes me feel uneasy - and violated.  The thieves probably got 50 bucks for what they stole - and its costing us $500.  So frustrating.  I have no sympathy for that side of life.  

Hubby is going to get dinner.  I ordered a bacon cheeseburger with a double patty, I will eat a couple steak fries with my avo-mayo/spicy brown mustard dip.

Clarification! I obviously am removing the bun! Smile Smile Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:18 am

Tomi, I know I have mentioned many times that thyroid hormone T4(the storage hormone) needs carbs to convert to T3 (the usable thyroid hormone). The lowest amount of carbs needed to insure conversion seems to be 50 grams.

Even given this info, each person's carb threshold, to insure proper thyroid function, is person specific.

I will say I believe you need to pick a protocol and stick to it for at least 3 months, with 6 months being preferable, IMO. I will also say I think, given your thyroid issues, that 50 grams of carbs is the lower limit you should shoot for.

The other issue I think is important, and have mentioned before, is that not getting adequate calories. Under eating also compromises T4 to T3 conversion. Given what you have documented, I have to question if you are eating enough.

Your fatigue, lack of energy, sleep issues might very well suggest you are, IMO, not getting enough calories to insure thyroid function, healthy sleep patterns, energy levels, and overall health.

Given all of my assumptions, I can't help but wonder if your choices aren't directly associated with the strong impact your viral load is having on the quality of your day to day life.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Marcadav -- I would have to say D - all the above is true. Just a day of increasing my carbs made a huge impact on my energy and all else involved.

I am going to stay around 50 grams - that seems to be the place that I feel good. I've tried lower carbs a few times over the past several years - and I always end up feeling yucky. You know the definition of insanity - so its time for me to stop trying the same things and hoping for a different outcome.

Extreme anything doesn't work for me.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:30 pm

^ that being said - I am concerned that I might not get the weight loss benefits of Keto if I increase my carbs. But it is what it is. I won't make myself sick just to try to lose weight. With my health issues - I might just be stuck at this weight for the rest of my life. Sad Rolling Eyes

I want to feel good - period. And maybe if I can improve my overall health I will be able to resume some form of movement that will burn some calories.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:34 pm

I will say it again right now you need to focus on healing.  When your body feels better, it will start to let go of the weight.  I think you are jumping to conclusions that you will always be the weight you are now.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Pedidoc wrote:I will say it again right now you need to focus on healing.  When your body feels better, it will start to let go of the weight.  I think you are jumping to conclusions that you will always be the weight you are now.

I do want to believe this - but after 15 years of being this size - I'm afraid to hope that it could be that easy. But - I will push on and eat to heal.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Tomi, I strongly believe unless and until you change your mindset, you will continue to struggle. Your weight should be the least of your worries. It has nothing to do with who you are.

Your health and your consistent choices- made to enhance your health-- should be the focus. And to quote Jason Seib, " You can't permanently change a body you hate."

Given that quote, love yourself as you are now. Treat yourself and your body with the love, kindness, and respect you and it deserves. Fuel your body with good/healthy/real foods and give it adequate calories. Move as much as you can each day.

Finally, you have no control over what the scale does. You do have control over your choices. Good choices, over time(sometimes a long time), tend to be reflected in body composition.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Well - I do think I am pretty close to where you say I need to be. I don't hate my body, but I don't want to stay this size forever. I don't really feel that I'm "struggling". I do eat healthy. Every day I eat healthy. The last time I ate something "bad" was the burger bun - and that was more than a month ago. I will go back and look. I'm doing everything I can to get good sleep. I'm ignoring the scale.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Nope - it was August 30 - gluten free waffle mix.  Made me sick.  So I have a full month of perfectly healthy food.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:02 pm

tomi1000 wrote:Nope - it was August 30 - gluten free waffle mix.  Made me sick.  So I have a full month of perfectly healthy food.
It is not just eating "clean" it is watching your supplements, your carb count, your sleep, and so on.  I do not want to be Debby Downer, but I really think you think you are eating on a plan that is good for you, but you do change your way of eating in what seems to be a random way.  Tomi - Please do not get upset or defensive, we are trying to help you with a HUGE breakthrough.  Honestly, you are right there, you just need to make the leap.  I think you are closer than I am and I am pretty sure you will start dropping weight faster than I will because you have done more of the hard psychological work than I have.  Hang in there Tomi, you are so very close, I just feel it.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:39 am

"Treat yourself and your body with the love, kindness, and respect you and it deserves. Fuel your body with good/healthy/real foods and give it adequate calories. Move as much as you can each day.

Finally, you have no control over what the scale does. You do have control over your choices. Good choices, over time (sometimes a long time), tend to be reflected in body composition." - Marcadav

QFT

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:57 am

I'm with everyone else, 'specially what Marcadav has said. If you can get healthy and can keep on feeling good, stick with what you are doing. Be patient with it all, your weight will eventually settle to the "right" number for you -- it may not be your perceived goal weight, but it will be right for you.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 am

I really wish you would stick with one protocol.  What Marcadav has said.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:09 pm

I guess I'm confused. Not at all feeling defensive - but would appreciate more input. I've been doing the same thing for months, haven't I??? What protocol changes have I made? I was told by my NP to try doing Keto due to my elevated fasting glucose and high cholesterol. She thought it would kick start some weight loss as well. This wasn't a big change as I was only at 50-80 carbs a day anyway. (on average)

I'm eating "clean". I've only adjusted my macro's to find a good balance for my needs. Tried 20 carbs, increased to 50 carbs.

I'm still taking all the same supplements. I only added a small dose of electrolytes for the very low carb - but I shouldn't need those now that I have upped the carbs. So thats a moot point.

I'm sleeping better, and reduced my sleep aids.

Please help me understand what you're all saying. I really am trying to take your comments and insights and put them to work in my life. And I very much value what you all have to say.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next