Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way - and the quest continues.

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks, Julia! Smile Sounds pretty close to where my numbers are falling.
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Sleep was great again last night! Its so wonderful to sleep very several hours without waking up!!! I love my pee pills! I only get up one time to use the bathroom now! And I'm waking up feeling ready to get up. This is wonderful!

We stayed up late due to late arriving family. Luckily the children were put to bed right away - but OH MY GOSH - this morning was a crazy mess! They left at noon and will return again late evening. Then they will leave tomorrow around noon. I love them to death - but wish the mom would pay closer attention to the kids - and not SCREAM at them to make them behave. Some people shouldn't have kids............ just sayin'.

I'm getting into the swing of keto now. No nuts or fruit and I'm easily at or under 20 grams. I can do this! I just need more idea's for dinners. Looking on the keto sites for inspiration. Today I added 1/2 an avocado to my protein drink and it was awesome. Made it really smooth and creamy and added FAT so I don't have to load up dinner with fat (it gives me reflux issues).

I'm confident this is going to be my answer to more energy, lower number on my blood tests, and weight loss. Feeling hopeful! Smile
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 pm

You sound fantastic, Tomi.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:35 am

Tomi - +1 to Pedi.

Great job dialing everything in. So happy that the pee meds have fixed your sleep.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:04 pm

thanks, Pedi and NM! Smile

I have another dietary victory to share........... I ate a small salad with dinner last night! About 5 spinach leaves and maybe a cup of packaged salad mix. I put avocado mayo/mustard mix on it. Today - NO GUT TROUBLES! I'm going to do the same for dinner today. Hubby cooked beef tenderloin for dinner last night and it was heavenly!! I put a TB of ghee on top of it.

I am pretty sure I've got my macros in line with Keto - I'm at 5% carbs, 75% fat and 20% protein, but I normally go over a little on the protein. My gut seems to have adjusted to the high fat volume. I have also been adding a little Heather's Tummy Fibers to my protein drink and I think that is helping with gut issues as well.

Food yesterday -

Protein drink - with 1/2 avocado, 1 TB powdered coconut milk, fiber, greens.

Steak with ghee, salad with cheese, bacon, avo-mayo/mustard.

Cashews - 2 servings.

31 net carbs.

Overall carbs will drop when I get the pecans and drop the cashews. I really need a little something to snack on the evening - it helps me sleep and keeps me from having cravings.

Family left around 11:30. It wasn't too bad - not as bad as last time. Doing a mountain of towels and bedding, plus hubbies work clothes.

Dinner will be Tuna loin on the BBQ and salad. Yum!
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:51 pm

I would recommend introducing the salad in gradually.  Maybe skip tonight and try tomorrow.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Pedidoc wrote:I would recommend introducing the salad in gradually.  Maybe skip tonight and try tomorrow.

I didn't see this until this morning. I did have another small salad for dinner - and no troubles today. Smile I think this is a sign that my gut is getting healthier. I will take your suggestion and if after a couple weeks I don't have any troubles then I probably will keep having just a small salad with bacon and a little bit of cheese every night. If I have troubles I will back off again. I love salad and have so enjoyed the variety in my dinners!

I'm really pooped out and need to take a few days to recover. Thursday I had a friend visiting from noon to 8pm - Friday I spent an intense 3 hours with a friend in need of counsel and I went to her house - and Friday night through Sunday noon we had family with children staying with us. Even this type of activity wears me out. So today I'm not even going to answer my phone. I'm going to catch up on the journals, watch a few good movies, and relax! Tonight is hubbies bible study so I'll have to go into the office or upstairs to my bedroom. I need to shower but I'm in no hurry. Wink I also need to dust and vacuum at least the living room before the men get here tonight.

Still don't have a date for the closing on MILs house. We thought it was going to happen by the end of the month and haven't heard otherwise. I'm hoping the next house payment will be the pay-off! Smile As soon as I know when we will receive the proceeds I will call and the get the pay-off amount. I'm so looking forward to writing that check!!!! It will surely be the biggest check I'll ever write in my lifetime! And the most rewarding!

I'm going to work really hard this week to keep my carbs under 20 grams. This will mean staying out of the cashew container! Sad I haven't ordered the pecans yet cuz I'm waiting until I need more things from Costco. I don't like paying for shipping - so I need to have $75 in my cart.
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Tomi, you can get pecans at Fred Meyer.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks, Marcadav -- I just haven't been shopping in so long......... hubby does it and I keep forgetting to put it on the list.
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Sleep last night was good again! Bed at 10:30, sleep by 11:00 - but up at 11:30 to potty. Back to sleep quickly - up at 4:30 to potty, again at 8:00, then slept till 9:30. The long stretches of sleep are wonderful. I might take 2 pills tonight to see if I can stretch the longs sleeps a bit further. Unfortunately, I'm still not waking feeling refreshed and ready to start my day. I tend to linger in bed a while, looking at facebook, or just letting my thoughts wander. I am spending a good 11-12 hours in my bed. Not sure if thats a bad thing or not - but it does feel a bit lazy.

Last night I was not feeling well, my gut was off and I was really low on energy so I decided to take my laptop up to my bedroom and watch some Netflix while the men had bible study. That means to day I need to catch up on business bills, mail and file a months worth of paid bill stubs. Yuck. I hate filing!

This morning I have been watching some videos on the keto diet. Easy Keto Lifestyle is a really good source of info. They suggest 15 grams of carbs with moderate protein and high fat - a macro balance of 5 - 15 - 80. I've been shooting for 5 - 20 - 75. Maybe I need to adjust. I know too much protein will cause the protein to be stored as fat. I have decided to cut my protein drink to 1/2 a scoop and add a TB of MCT oil. Maybe that little adjustment will give me a bit more brain power and energy? Its worth a try anyway. It might also help with weight loss. Although, that is certainly the lowest on my list of health priorities. I just want to feel better, stronger and have more energy to do my life, even in the simplest form possible. If I can just get to a level where I can take care of the house, shopping and business needs then I will be happy. Anything above that is all a pleasant bonus!

I am 15 days into changing my life to Keto. At this point in all my other dietary changes I would be quitting because my gut wasn't going along with things. This time is different. No pain. Still not having the best bathroom results - but maybe that part is never going to fall in line. Time will tell.
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:02 pm

WOW! I would consider 15 days in pretty successful! I am glad it's working for you. Kudos to you for listening to your body and going for it. I'm sure it's not easy so good for you!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:21 pm

ONTARIO wrote:WOW! I would consider 15 days in pretty successful! I am glad it's working for you. Kudos to you for listening to your body and going for it. I'm sure it's not easy so good for you!

I love you thanks Smile Its really not that terribly difficult - just a different macro balance to keep in mind. Heavy on the fat - light on the carbs - and easy on the protein. I spent about 2 months working up my fat intake so it didn't completely shock my gut Smile Of course the hardest part is keeping the carbs so low. But I'm getting used to it. Trying to work out a balance between Noon shake and dinner on the fat part. I'm always too heavy on fat at dinner. Adding a 1/2 avocado to my protein drink helps a lot (this morning I forgot - so dinner will be a fat bomb).

tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:27 am

So far it sounds like the keto diet is exactly what you need.
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Rig D wrote:So far it sounds like the keto diet is exactly what you need.

So far its going pretty good! I'm going to watch The Magic Pill again - to give me a reminder of all the wonderful things this way of eating can offer. Smile
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:21 pm

So --- last night we finally met with the builder to discuss the bid for tearing down our 70 year old shop and replacing it with an RV garage. The bid came in at twice what we were hoping for! The city is requiring some ridiculous things that are really adding to the cost of materials and the amount of labor to construct. So --- now we have to decide where we can cut some corners and how to come up with the rest of the funds to do this. I'm sure it will work out, but we need to take some time to figure it all out. Now I'm really worried that the house remodel is going to be way more money than what is feasible to invest in this property. We might end up doing only the bare necessities. I can live with that.
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:05 pm

My weight isn't changing much - but it seems that body is. I'm wearing a shirt today that I couldn't wear before starting Keto. Smile With my issues I am not expecting the weight to fall off quickly. As long as I am seeing some form of progress I will be happy. I am still working on keeping my carbs below 20. Gosh that is hard to do! The cashews are nearly gone - thanks to hubby for snacking on them the last several days! Smile I will get some pecans soon.

My laptop won't allow access to this site anymore because the site is not "secure". There must be a setting that got changed blocking access to un-secured sites or something. I'm using the desktop now. The laptop is 6 years old and although it was not a cheap item it started slowing down after about 2 years. Now a re-boot can take 15 minutes! I should make sure everything important is on the cloud so I don't have a headache if it completely dies.

I'm attempting a grocery run today. Just need a few things and it should take more than 10 minutes. Just need to wait until the yard guys are done cuz they are blocking the driveway. A small price to pay for the luxury of having someone else mow my grass! Smile

I slept a lot last night! Took 10 mg of the pee pills. I was still up 3 times but was in bed from 11:00 until 10:30! I guess my body really needed to sleep. Smile I woke up feeling rested, but still my body feels heavy and sluggish. That might change when I am able to build strength through some form of gentle exercise - I'm thinking yoga is going to be my friend in this area. I just need to get to the place where I feel able to start a daily routine. Hopefully that will come soon.

I am considering doing a 2 scoop dose of the greens in my protein drink. I'm sure my body could make use of the extra nutrients Smile

Food yesterday:

(no protein drink due to lack of hunger)

6 oz ground turkey
2 oz bacon
3 TB avo-mayo/mustard mix
2 TB ghee
2 servings cashews
15 Papaya enzymes (they have carbs)
1550 calories 13 net carbs.

tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Hey look at that - my laptop is letting me in again. Weird.

I went to the store! Yeah me!!!! Smile (forgot pecans -- ugh!) Good sleep sure makes a huge difference in my energy levels. I hope this trend continues.

tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Tomi, I told one of my sisters, recently, that I didn't care what I weighed. I could be 500lbs as long as I fit into certain articles of clothing that I felt good in-- the dress I wore to my son's wedding comes to mind.

I am also having laptop issues.The last 2 HP laptops I've owned developed hinge issues. My present laptop has gotten so bad it's been duck taped and I had my daughter back it up for me. Just in case.

I'm researching to find a new laptop. One daughter thinks I should get a MacBook. The other daughter doesn't think that's a good idea. They're both techies. I am, most definitely, NOT.

All I know is, it wont be an HP.

In regards to getting onto this site-- last night was the second time in recently weeks where I couldn't.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:59 pm

I always buy Dell -- against the advice of son. I did buy a Lenova laptop before buying my current desktop - but during the initial set up it got stuck trying to download updates and I had to send it back. And after I got it I discovered it do not have a disk drive - only USB ports for a thumb drive. I need to disk drive for the business - so I was glad it didn't work and I got to send it back. I've never used a Mac - but I've heard they are very easy and user friendly - so if you're not very techie that might be a good idea. I'd go talk to one of the geeks at a computer store.
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 am

PC input: Tomi, I'm with your son. I abandoned Dell years ago after miserable experience with their supposed technical support which appeared to be almost exclusively based in India or Pakistan. Horrible customer service.

Marcadav: I've used IBM PC's before they were acquired by Chinese based Lenova. They were well built and good performing machines then. No experience with Crapple, company's politics prevent that. I'm about 2 years into my current HP, I'm pretty happy with it, have not had to use their tech support yet. I don't move around much with it, pretty much sits on my desk, so haven't seen your hinge issues.

My former PC (still used by my wife) is a Toshiba Satellite, it is and has been a very solid machine, never had any trouble with it. I'd still be using it now except the cpu and other internals aren't strong enough for today's software and continuously evolving operating system from Mr. Softy. It is still running Windows XP Pro. I'd suggest exploring Toshiba based on this experience.
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:17 am

Tomi I am so very sorry about the bid for the shop. I’m thinking maybe you should get a bid for house stuff you want to do. I know it’s not planned for a few years, but it will let you know what you are up against. It may make it easier to plan both remodels when you know what you’re looking at.

Happy to hear that shirt is looser. The number on the scale isn’t everything.

Happy to hear you are sleeping much better too. That is huge.

I switched to a MacBook 8 years ago, and love it. I still have to use windows for work, but I’d have a Mac for there too, if I could.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Yes, the shop bid was a shocker but we need to do it so we will. We have a big chunk of money saved up - we've been saving all of our end of year bonuses for ever, plus all the money we got from life insurance and annuities when MIL passed away. It wasn't a lot since it was split between the 4 boys, but we sure did appreciate it. Especially since we had no idea it was coming. The inheritance is also a big surprise as we expected everything FIL had accumulated (3 modest homes) would be sold and the money used to care for MIL, but that wasn't the case. So, every time we discuss plans for paying off the mortgage and rebuilding the shop we say a thank you to Dad. None of it would be happening without the gift that he left his boys. He would be so happy to know that his planning has been such a blessing to his family.

I'm stepping on the scale every morning - but not putting much stock in the number that comes up. But I can't say it wouldn't be fun to see it going down. It will eventually. I'm sure my gut is still healing and my body is putting its energies elsewhere. I'm eating supper healthy and I'm proud of that!! I'm able to eat salad again so I know things are healing Smile

Laundry is on the to-do list for the day. I still have to do all the sheets from last weekends company - and Friday is always sheet washing day for our bed. Nothing like climbing into clean sheets! Smile When I slip into bed and feel the softness of the sheets, and the comfort of the mattress and the warmth of the blankets I always let out and gentle sigh, and I feel so grateful for what we have, when so many are sleeping in the cold.
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Food today -

morning protein drink with all the fixings

salad with bacon wrapped shrimp and jack cheese (from the mexican joint - I left the rice and beans and made my own salad to go with the meat and fat.) It was yummy!!

Note to self: Never again take morning vitamins on an empty stomach!!!!! Diarrhea and barfiness!
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:18 am

I've made that mistake before, Tomi. I have switched my vitamins to before bed, which seems to work better for me.

I love when a function has a Mexican buffet.  So many great choices that fit within paleo/primal/keto diets!  

I have been lurking, as life has been crazy in Pedidoc world.  You sound good and mentally you seem to be in a great place.  I know you want to see the scale move, but I am going to suggest that you put the scale away for 45 days.  Keep focusing on how good you feel, how much more energy you have, how clothing is fitting, and the taste of salad instead.  I worry that if the scale does not move soon, you will get discouraged (a pattern we both have exhibited in the past).
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Hello Pedidoc! Smile I have missed you......... but figured you were just in crazy town with your life and schedule. Wink

Well 2 things............. I take vitamins 3 times a day due to the lack of absorption happening in my gut. And - I now believe what I'm feeling is Keto Flu. Nausea, weakness, lack on concentration, coordination is off and my swallow muscles are working well.......... Hubby is cooking me some eggs and sausage for breakfast and I told him go heavy handed with the salt and I'm taking a magnesium supplement. I'm having very loose stools as well, not watery, just going lots more than normal. I had to get out of bed twice last night to use the potty within an hour of going to bed. Hopefully I can fix this.

I'm not putting a whole lot of stock in the scale.......... my shirts are starting to feel a bit looser. It will happen when my body is healthy enough. I will put the scale away though. I think it would be good for me to not have that particular mode of monitoring my progress. I will ask hubby to put it away so I don't know where it is.
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next