Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Citrus Everywhere

5 posters

Go down

Citrus Everywhere Empty Citrus Everywhere

Post by Annieh Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:30 am

I find myself suddenly overwhelmed citrus trees laden with fruit. As soon as I walk out my back door, a massive grapefruit tree that is probably 50 years old looms over me. There's a lanky lemon tree of a similar age as well as a small young one planted to replace that one in case it died, which it didn't. The lime tree was envisaged as a shrub but now dwarfs the building we planted it next to, and the tangelo tree is still not head height but is fruiting prolifically, although they are quite tart. I am also keeping a close eye or four or five big oranges on my little birthday tree.

According to the Internet (lol), all these fruits are "nutritious and contain plant compounds that can protect against a variety of diseases, including cancer, heart disease, brain dysfunction and kidney stones".

My question is, how to make the most of all this bounty.

Any ideas?

Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Citrus Everywhere Empty Re: Citrus Everywhere

Post by Rig D Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:00 am

You are blessed to have such a variety of citrus! Just enjoy eating them or passing them on to friends and acquaintences?

We had a tangelo tree when we lived in S. Florida. I think it was fully mature and was only about 10 ft tall and the branches covered about a 15 ft diameter spread. When the fruit came in there was so much we couldn't even give it all away.

Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Annie - I wish I lived closer, I’d help you with it. Otherwise, no idea. Maybe make juice and freeze? Then you could use an “ice cube” or two of it to flavor stir fry’s etc?

Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm

I got the same problem. Good problem to have, though in my case it's lemons and kumquats.

The lemons I freeze and eat over ensuing months. I've always had a high tolerance for sour foods though, and home-grown lemons have thinner peels and are far less sour than the store varieties.

Oh yeah, I eat the peels too, since they supposedly contain a lot of the beneficial oils and other goodies. And because they grow in my backyard, I don't have to worry about pesticides and wax and the grubby hands of supermarket strangers who like to fondle fruit but not take it.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:01 am

I'm drooling here. Limes? Kumquats? Lemons? Grapefruit? Citrus Everywhere Yum

There are links online that will show you how to freeze excess citrus.

Another idea. Slice off the peel just to the pith (white bitter stuff). Fill various quart/liter bottles with vodka. Infuse with the peels. If you want infused vodkas, just taste these once in awhile 'til the flavor is what you want, then strain out the peels. If you want more of an aperitif, cut the proof/ABV with a little water and add sweetener to taste. Now you have a variety of citrus-y alcohols.

As far as lemons go, from vinaigrette to lemonade to adding to veggie or chicken or fish dishes, there are tons of uses. When I was young, my blonde friends used to comb lemon juice through their hair in summer - supposedly that and being out in the sun would lighten their hair.

Good luck!
LoonieJ
LoonieJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum