Narrowminded continues

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Narrowminded continues

Post by Rig D on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:10 am

Try to stay on the perimeter of your store when shopping, those sweets are usually fat and out of shape and can't leap very far to get in your cart.

I'm glad the house sold at higher than ask. Similar thing happened with one of my wife's co-workers. Interesting that the market is that strong.

Perhaps your friend's proposed colon surgery may be 2X4 up-side the head that will get his attention on changing things. I would not give up on the suggestions.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Rig I am a perimeter shopper. Seems treats happen when I’ve got to pick things up that I need for DH from Walmart.

I guess you can add that it’s my “me” time and I tend to wander, just so I don’t have to rush. Wandering is not good.

I can say the past 2 days have been spot on.

Well with my folks house, part was the couple they signed with have family on the street and I think were determined to get this place. The other bidder, middle aged couple were informed there was another bidder, so went aggressive. Their original bid they talked about placing would have been substantially lower. And Spring seems to be a good time to sell.

That’s what scares me about my friend. He plays soccer, played in college and still plays. Having a colostomy would hinder that somewhat. You would think he’d try anything to avoid the knife. Have no clue what this new hospital and new doc’s will propose, haven’t heard from him since he was to be admitted yesterday. I did ask him to please read the info before agreeing to surgery of any kind. This man is extremely stubborn and I thought DH was bad. Smile

Got a lot of work done today, QTR taxes all filed. Smile. Still have some things for tomorrow.

10,000 steps continues.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'll never understand how some people can rush into surgery like it's no big deal. But it's his choice to make and I hope he has the best possible outcome.

Great job on the steps! That reminds me...I need to get my polar watch fixed. I've had it for 6 months and it just decided to stop working. Neutral

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 pm

So pleased to read of a few things that were just for you - going to the craft fair, buying the pattern, and getting the yarn. You do so much for others, it is really important to do something special for yourself.

I am sorry to read about your friend. I don't understand the mindset that just accepts the standard, be it food ways or medical suggestion, without diving in to try and figure it out for oneself, yet I know that is very typical.

Keep walking and getting in you "ohm's" (teasing about that last bit...)
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks girls - yes, the blind adherence to something just kills me. Thanks to my persistence, I think my mom is finally starting to question a tiny bit. She is very much that way. For her, I’d say it was the era. Growing up Dr. were put on pedestals and not to be questioned. This friend is the same way in many respects.

No worry about the “ohms”. Definitely need them. Hope to get some today. Few things that need doing first though.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Wow 3 days since I updated. It’s been busy.

Helping Mom on Thursday and Wed was just crazy. Work stuff and a visit from the nursing supervisor who come once every 8 weeks. That took 2 hours, then DS got here and a neighbor stopped up. Did fit my WO in with DS. Then crazy phone call from said friend

Basically he was calling to say “goodbye”. Don’t text him as it wakes him up and please take this number and call these two guys for him.

Spent time on the phone with one of the guys who then called the other and the first number, a neighbor of the friend. Turns out, he is stable, just as I thought. Does have C-Diff and is quarantined. Will have to go to rehab for probably 3 months once c-diff is gone. As I had told him on the phone, he wasn’t dying.

By the time I got through all of that, had a quick dinner then sat to watch the Pens game.

Today weeded the bed that runs the entire length of the house, about 40 feet or so. I’m tired and sore, but just being out side digging in the dirt felt awesome. It took over 6 hours and that was with DS helping, and a lunch break in there.

Time to cook dinner and watch the Pens again.

101 days of 10,000 steps. I’ve got those to finish too.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi All - today has been a mixed bag. DH needed a lot of suctioning this morning, so that time was spent dealing with him.

Managed to get some work, work done then got a chance to do a bit of knitting.

Knitting is not going well. In the middle of tearing out as I messed up somewhere and I’m trying to find it. GRRR so a backwards day with that.

Pens stunk up the ice last night. Hopefully they can get it together for tomorrow game.

Oh also spent an hour on the phone today for a pilot program for ALS caregivers. How to use CBT to deal with the emotions we face. DH’s neuro that I dearly love asked me to take part, so I am. Hopefully it will be useful. This week was more meet and greet with info and homework given.

Going to try and fix this knitting tonight. Also received the yarn I ordered today so I need to finish this piece first.

Have a nice weekend everyone
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Hope the knitting fix goes well. Good for you helping future ALS caregivers.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:16 am

Definitely a mixed bag, NM. I hope the extra "homework" is not too much for you, and that the knitting takes a turn for the better. But new yarn to look forward to!!! Best wishes to your DH, I am so sorry you have to see him suffer.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:21 am

Hoping you have a calm and peaceful Sunday. Smile

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord make his face to shine upon you,
and be gracious to you.
May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
and give you peace.

This always lifts my spirits.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 am

Kathi, while I hope what I share with the CBT/mindfulness project helps someone else in the path, I am not the facilitator. There is a Psychology fellow leading the group. However, I am definitely the one with the longest experience by about 9 years. Given that, I have to be careful when I share. I will always be honest, but I have to remember that some are only a year or two in and they are still in the acceptance, easy to scare position.

Annie - the homework is noticing feelings, taking note of the situation and our thought that some from that. For example, and this happens routinely. I sit down to eat and get in a bite or two and DH needs something. Now, prior to cooking and during I have been in to ask if he needs anything. I go in right before plating my food and ask again. Generally speaking what he needs is not urgent and could wait. So my feeling is irritation mixed with hurt, and my thought is I’d just like to have a hot meal that’s not been rubberized from nuking multiple times. This happened on Friday particularly. I calmly told DH that he has a feeding tube and doesn’t need meals and while I would not want to be fed that way either, he did like his meals hot in the past. That seemed to help yesterday.

So I shared this example with the group, and as I started, they all started laughing as they go through the same thing and could totally relate. The facilitator asked if I felt guilty after what I told him. I said no. A couple others said they would feel guilty. I then replied I think I’ve been at this so long, I had to get over the guilt thing a long time ago or I’d never make it. So in that regard, I think I will be able to help others.

As to the knitting, I got fixed what needed doing and got some good rows in. Just kind of annoyed that I could have finished if not for the mess up.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 am

Ok, DH’s food needed fixed so I didn’t want to lose that long post to cyberspace.

Back to the knitting, I only have about 20 rows to go, but it got too late last night. I hope to finish it up today, so I can move onto the new project. We will see how it goes. A friend is supposed to visit and hockey starts at 3. Not much time, but I’ll do my best.

Tomi - thank you for that blessing, it always warms my heart as well. Someday I’ll get back to church, I do miss it and the fellowship as well.

As to my diet. I will start again. Absolutely doing better, just I’ve let some dairy back in and I’m finding that it’s not agreeing with me, so back out it goes. It’s a bummer because sometimes things feel quite limited. I think occasionally it may be ok, but I’ve had too much. The thing is, it was only heavy cream and Kerrygold. A small touch of cream cheese. Oh well, live and learn.

Steps are 103 days complete. Mindfulness needs to get back on a streak. Still doing it, just not daily.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am

NM, I think the story you shared is a perfect example of balance and that no guilt should be associated with putting your needs before DH's in that instance. It is not like you are not suctioning him and he is having difficulty breathing while you eat. It is simple things like this that will help the newer members of the group when they get to the harder years.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 am

Clapping for you to get involved with the pilot program for ALS caregivers.

How to use CBT. Is it for you or DH? You will be such a good example for the other caregivers.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks Kathi, I am hoping it does help the newbies. They need to learn it because they will not make it otherwise.

Pam, I am a part of the group. The CBT is for me and the feeling that arise as you caregive. Think about the things you do with your Mom, how you feel when days are stacked together. Figure out your thoughts connected with the situation. Next week we learn how to change those thoughts/feelings. It’s help you from getting burned out.

Down to the last 2.5 rows on the knitting project that’s currently on the needles. Will finish that here shortly and then I will start on the new project.

Pens decided to show up today. Wasn’t so sure during the first half of the 1st period.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:38 pm

That group sounds useful, NM. You will surely aid others, and I hope you too will get some benefit. Glad the knitting project is done and I hope the new one goes well.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks M2M. Looking forward to what I can learn through this project.

Did finish the first project and the new pattern is on the needles. Going well other than a 2 row mistake I had to take out and redo. That’s what I get for trying to do 2 things at once. Smile It is going well. Will take time as it’s a larger project.

And I have to have my 10000 or most of them done before working on my knitting or they won’t happen.

Yesterday was really very good day food wise. However, I did allow myself to have a few beans, yeah that’s not happening again. I’m paying for it this morning, my gut is totally screwed up. Nope, beans are definitely something that has to stay in the past.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:33 am

Neglected to mention that while we were at the high 70’s low 80’s over the weekend it is snowing here today. Dang crazy weather. However, it’s probably my fault as I put away my shovel and boots. Smile

Wondering if anyone here has ever tried a solar oven? Went down a YouTube rabbit hole yesterday after checking up on my subscriptions there. Sounds interesting, but probably only summer usable here.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Similar weather here. Sunny, 70's a couple of days back. Cold, windy, cloudy, snow/sleet the last 2 days. Fortunately above freezing, so no accumulation. The shovel is retired for the supposed spring & summer.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Not personally (solar oven) but a neighbor did and had some success I think. Not too sure what she cooked now that I think about it, it was years ago.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Rig, look out tomorrow is supposed to be snow again.

M2M - thanks for the mentions about the solar oven. Something neat to keep in mind. I think they would be fun to try.

Yesterday went downhill right after breakfast. For whatever reason my body did not like the chia pudding I had for breakfast. I go so sick. Not sure if the chia seeds were bad or what, but man I had the worst chills, even my body temp was down to 95.4 and my gut was definitely not a happy camper. Spent most of the day on the couch. YUCK

Much better today. Once I felt better later yesterday afternoon I did manage to get my steps in. I’m behind again today and there is a Pens game. I have to get moving. Still need 6500 steps. Smile

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm glad you feel better. Impressive getting your steps in even when feeling poorly.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks Kathi

Steps are already in for today. Had groceries and Walmart run, so that puts me at 108 days streak on steps

I emailed the HOA today since I still did not hear about my request. I just enquired if they did receive it. They did, someone was on vacation so they had to wait to meet and talk about it. I’m supposed to know tomorrow as they were meeting today. My email address was on the form, would have been nice for someone to let me know there would be a delay. Mad

Tomorrow I have to head to Moms and help with bills. Hopefully once the house closes she’s be ok. Then she will only have a few items each month, and she should be back up to speed as her thyroid continues to get back online. And the anemia should hopefully be resolving.

Then to add to my issues, but completely understandable, my nurse interviewed for a full time job today. Every time her other patient is in the hospital, they have no one for her to get time with. As a single parent, 20 hours a week just won’t cut it. However, finding someone to come here 2-3x a month isn’t going to be easy. Heck they can’t even find someone to cover for me to get away for a few days.

Knitting project is coming along and I’m headed there when I finish up here since my steps are in.

Life moves onward.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:28 am

108 days streak on steps

cheers

You actually expected a message from HOA to inform you it would take longer and why? confused What did you end up requesting for the hedge or whatever it is you needed?

Hope your Mom recovers quickly. And that the weather improves soon. Wink

Fingers crossed for the nurse and a solution for your time off.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:13 am

It's called "common courtesy" on why expect a response from HOA. And a pro-active reply would have prevented having a "customer" being in the dark and feeling the need for a follow up.

Congrats on keeping the steps going. You've got a long streak going.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum