Narrowminded continues

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Narrowminded continues

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 am

Nice! Glad you got in a productive day, W30 is consistent, sales are up and you got your steps in. Stay plugged into your superpowers. :]
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:33 am

All good on all fronts, congrats of food/exercise success. I hope your business continues to tick upwards and you are able to participate in what appears to be an improving economic situation.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks everyone, did get payroll started today and a jump on next week. In my world that huge.

Rig, I’m hopeful this is the economic upswing as well. In our biz we are usually about 6 mo behind what you hear in the news, so timing is about right for that to be what is causing our current uptick. I just pray it continues as it’s been down for too long.

Didn’t get the casserole made and not sure it will happen tonight. Want to finish catching up here and then watch hockey with DH. Maybe tomorrow

My steps are complete so I’m in gravy time:)

Food once again decent. I won’t say perfect.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:18 am

Blimey, I miss a couple of days and its all sunshine and rainbows - and no-one deserves it more! So pleased that you are getting a few relatively easy days in a row. Hoping it continues in to the new week Smile
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:42 am

Narrowminded wrote:Thanks everyone,  did get payroll started today and a jump on next week. In my world that huge.

Rig, I’m hopeful this is the economic upswing as well. In our biz we are usually about 6 mo behind what you hear in the news, so timing is about right for that to be what is causing our current uptick. I just pray it continues as it’s been down for too long.

Didn’t get the casserole made and not sure it will happen tonight. Want to finish catching up here and then watch hockey with DH. Maybe tomorrow

My steps are complete so I’m in gravy time:)

Food once again decent. I won’t say perfect.

Great job on getting the payroll started. Doesn't it feel great to be a bit ahead?

I think you have to look at the food thing like I have my students look at grades. Of course, they all want a perfect 4.0, but I like to tell them shoot for the 4.0, but remember passing is perfect! In other words, don't get so wrapped up in a perfect score that you freak out and forget you just need to pass. Yes, I am education nurse practitioners and they do need a 3.0 in their classes to pass (which is higher than the university standard) and they have graded clinical practice so we are trying to ensure they are safe when they graduate.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:50 pm

AT yes a few good days strung together. Of course my nutrition has been excellent and there is a definite correlation.

Kathi, nope won’t let perfect get in the way of good.

Ended up making the casserole before hockey. Boy was it nice to pull that out, scoop some and heat for breakfast this morning. So easy. Am already thinking how I can do similar next weekend. That would be a great stress reducer in the mornings.

Even did some tidying yesterday. Will have to update on that thread.

I will semi watch the Super Bowl tonight while I knit. Hoping for better commercials this year since neither of the teams are my favs, but I’ll be lending support to Philly, through gritted teeth, but of the two I’d rather they will at all costs.

I also found a new planner I’m thinking of printing pages off for to get a bit more loose structure to my day. Things like try and walk for 15 min before lunch so I’m not looking at only 3000 steps at dinner time when I’m shooting for 10,000. It would definitely would be loose with my life, but reminders could be huge.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Now you are joining my world were I plot out my entire day including mindfulness, walking, planks & squats.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Sounds like a good idea, NM. A bit like how Fitbit reminders can help us get at least 250 steps per hour.

If you like an online tool I use an app called Habitica, although it doesn't do reminders. (I use another app called Keep for that!). Habitica does, however, work like a game where good habits level you up and bad habits chip away at your health. However, I find that when I need to juggle stuff then staying on top of it is more stressful than fun! But there are different ways to set it up to suit you.

For my work days I print off an Outlook day diary listing the hours from 8am to 6pm in half hour slots; I then fill in what I do during that time - keeps me mindful and on task with work, but I also got into the habit of printing the weekend days as well. This taught me the valuable lesson of the difference between a To-Do list and a plan. The most important thing it showed me was that often there was not sufficient time to check off everything on my To Do list.
That recognition was huge. It stopped me feeling like I wasn't trying hard enough and showed me how to be realistic with my expectations!

Good luck with whatever you choose to try.
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:22 pm

So pleased for you that there have been a string of good days. Hope that continues!

Moving bits throughout the the day is the only way I can accomplish it. I generally get a nice start in the morning, but need to top off throughout and I always feel better for taking a quick movement break, even if it is just to walk around the building.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:18 pm

AT will check out those 2 apps. I like playing games with myself.

Yes, have to get those steps in throughout the day. I have about 3300 left for today, s not bad considering it’s 6:12 now. So plan is finish catching up, here then walk my laps for 15 or so min while I read. That will get me a lot closer then I can finish up throughout the evening

Eating still going well. Am loving having Nom Nom’s casserole for breakfast. So freaking easy. Have to plan flavors for this weekend. Definitely doing it again

As we speak I am trying hard cooked eggs on the IP again. Last time they were way over cooked. We will see how this goes. I have such trouble with peelability. My GF picked up one of those hard cooked egg cookers and loves it, says they peel great. I’m resisting buying yet another appliance, so trying to make this work. Wish me luck

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:03 am

Eggs can be unpredictable. For softer eggs, I boil then let it go for a minute, than turn off, leave eggs in hot water for 20 minutes. Then run cold water on 'em. Also, think peeling has to do with age of eggs. The older the easier to peel.
Good to have a goal on the steps in. Any amount is still good, though.

AT, Got me thinkin' on difference between a To-Do list vs a Plan.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 am

I stand by my IP for boiled eggs.  Add water and set the timer for 10 minutes.  Then rinse with cold water.  All peel well and I doubt my eggs are fresh as I do not eat as many as other Primal/Paleo folks.  Smile

And the reason I love my IP for this task---they peel so easily.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Ok so here is what I did with my eggs and the IP. Put in 3/4 c water placed the rack in, pit the eggs on the rack. Closed the lid, set the timer for pressure 5 min. When 5 min were up, i let the pressure out but kept them in the IP for another 5, then to ice water to stop the process. I peeled one at lunch, again over done. Peeled ok, except where the yolk was close to the edge. These are pastured egg form an employee who raises them in his yard, more like a farm. What am I doing wrong?

Busy day today, have a few things left to do before hockey at 7

I downloaded two different habit apps to see which I like. Did look at Habitica that AT uses, but it seemed a little too gamely for me, I don’t need to add a distraction. We will see no judgements yet.

Made some short ribs in my IP for dinner, yum. Sided that with some sautéed Brussels /bacon and onion

Got a good WO from DS as well and close to my 10000 steps which will get finished either before hockey or during period break.

Kathi, I’m checking out the once a month cooking site as well. So different than the paperback book I bought years ago. Didn’t dig enough yet to see it it’s connected.

It’s been a good day
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:11 pm

NM, how fresh were your eggs? Eggs that are only just laid can be hard to peel, even if you cook them right. Perhaps you could try some that are a few days older.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:17 pm

I've no IP experience, but I boil eggs weekly, and age is a really big factor. I have a carton I use just to store the next batch of eggs I intend to boil. I put them in a cool place (we have a root cellar) and let them sit for a week before I use them. Given recent travels, I hadn't any in that state so those I boiled on Saturday are not peeling as nicely a usual. Really cold water for the after cooking quench is very important too.

I hope your string of good days continues!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 am

Sorry about your eggs.  I may have led you astray with my saying 10 minutes previously... (in your journal or somewhere else).  My directions follow:

1.  Pour water into the pot, and place the eggs in a steamer basket if you have one...I use the rack
2.  Close the lid and set time for 5 minutes high pressure.
3.  It will take the cooker approximately 5 minutes to build pressure and then 5 minutes to cook.
4.  Place the eggs into cold water to halt the cooking process.  

Works perfectly every time.  P.S.  I must have googled this recipe as the IP recipe book does not.  

Good luck
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:18 am

Ok thank you for all the tips. As to egg age, this genetleman is getting tons of eggs right now and the ones I am getting are not just freshly laid. And I set aside a dozen a and don’t cook them until the following week when I’m expecting my next ones to arrive. So even if he just brought them in, I have let them sit for a week

Pam, your way makes more sense and I will try that next week. I’d read several people discussing it on the IP FB page and always saying 6-6-6. 6 under pressure, 6 to sit and 6 in the ice bath. It bothered me because of the time it takes to get to pressure as I knew there was heat going on in there. But everyone raving about it. I use the rack too, no basket. Well I bought one and it went with DD.

Tip I’d like to share. For those of you who use cocoa powder for whatever, I have found that Rodelle brand for me is the best. Very dark and rich and the flavor is outstanding. The first time I purchased it was at Costco. I dropped that membership for a few reasons, but you can also get it on Amazon. A few bucks more, but it’s worth it. Just thought I’d share.

As to Costco, I love that place, but cooking for one doesn’t make it cost effective for me, generally. The other issue is it’s not close by, going there means wasting most of a day and I generally over spend. That said, I’m rethinking it because there are somethings that are a much better price. I may also look back into Thrive Market. I need to see if they’ve expanded things I use regularly.

It’s snowing and raining here today, so hopefully I’ll be inspired to do some de cluttering today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 am

Costco - we do 1 trip/month for selected items where the buy in bulk doesn't result in excess spoilage, and to pick up one of their cooked chickens for dinner the next 2 nights. Most fresh weekly stuff is from Aldi & Kroger, with occasional Meijer trips. Meijer has good fresh veggies and some outstanding flavored coffees.

Costco's gasoline is also typically 10-20 cents/gallon cheaper than anywhere else. We try to plan the monthly trip to coincide with gas purchases.

Our very first Costco trip was interesting, going down the "rice aisle" I had never seen such big bags of rice, the little ones were 20 lbs, the bigger ones 40+. I commented to my elder daughter about that with a question on who would buy such vast amounts and her email response was E does. E is her sig. other and he is from the Philippines where rice is a big staple.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Meant2Move wrote:I hope your string of good days continues!

So do I!

Any chance you can turn those overcooked eggs into egg salad or deviled eggs and try again next week? Adding mayo and/or avocado should work. Maybe some bacon too. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:22 pm

If you have the "problem" of very fresh eggs, poach them rather than hard boiling. You can pre-poach and keep them for a few days. Reheat in hot, not boiling, water. Check Serious Eats poached eggs for a good method.
ekba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Update on the IP eggs - made some egg salad for dinner tonight and the ones I peeled, peeled beautifully. That was awesome. And these ones weren’t quite as over done. I’m thinking that first egg I peeled was due to its shape. He has a hen, maybe more then one that lays long narrow eggs as opposed to the more traditional shape. Those eggs don’t have a lot of white around the yolk, so probably the issue with that one. I will try again, when I’ve used these with Pam’s suggestion

I did manage to get a bit of decluttering done, and a couple of pictures hung as well. That felt great

Then while DS was here I also got in a 30 min yoga session. Another +1 for today.

Currently only need 200 more steps to hit 10000 for the day. When I finish up here I will do 15 min of laps, well more than I need then chill and finish my knitting project.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 pm

NM, sounds like you have cracked the code with your IP. You have done well to fit so much into your day. Woo hoo on making your steps target so early.

I think it's fun how you can begin to recognise your eggs personally. I have five hens, I do not know who lays what, but I can definitely see differences between them.

Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Thank you Annie.

Today has been busy around these parts. Had a nurse today, so off to do errands and grocery shop

Drop off my personal taxes at the accountant, then picked up DH’s meds since I was right there. Then off to Aldi and then shop and save for what I could not get at aldi.

Here’s the fun part. I looked up the Once a Month cooking website Pedi uses and if you sign up for the newsletter you get a free mini-meals guide. (5 different recipes) You can pick the type but not individual recipes and you can’t specify servings. That’s ok, signed up, got the plan and printed it off. Used that to shop by. Now it’s default is each meal twice for 4 people. For me, well that a bit more Laughing

For dinner tonight I already had planned one of those spaghetti squash w30 casseroles from Pinterest. So while that was cooking I prepped the jalapeño burgers and the pork chops. I also made up 2 meals from the casserole for the freezer so 17 meals in the freezer, and 2 in the fridge from the prep and two from left over casserole. Tomorrow I can do the others. I’d love to get them done and get the meat trays out with tonight’s garbage, but we will see how it goes.

DH and I have a date to watch some of the olympics tonight and I will knit while we watch. I did finish that project last night, so onto the next one

Also I think I’m back in fat burning mode. Lunch today seemed over filling and it was just my usual salad. So that’s a bonus

My mindfullness practice is continuing along nicely too

Steps 37 days, mindfullness 8
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:11 pm

What fine accomplishments! Good quality food in the freezer always feels like security to me.

Totally forgot about the Olympics - I'll have TV tonight, I hope there is an exciting sport on!

I need to restart on mindfulness... maybe I can do tonight and tomorrow and carry on into the weekend to set a habit again. It has brought benefits when I've done it in the past.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Doesn't it feel good to have all those meals prepped in the freezer?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum