BBC: The Truth About Carbs

Go down

BBC: The Truth About Carbs Empty BBC: The Truth About Carbs

Post by Lovebird on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:11 am

http://paleozonenutrition.com/2018/06/08/the-truth-about-carbs-bbc-documentary-the-diet-rapidly-reverses-type-2-diabetes-in-dr-unwins-patients/

For some reason the direct link to Dailymotion shows black for me, hence the choice to link to this blog. Thanks Ivor Cummins for uploading to DM as YT keeps removing it.

There's also some interesting info for athletes on having sugar water during training... not to actually drink it, but just swish around in your mouth and then spit out. It apparently enhances performance as well as fat loss by tricking the mind.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

BBC: The Truth About Carbs Empty Re: BBC: The Truth About Carbs

Post by sharperhawk on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:08 pm

The truth is that carbs don't cause insulin resistance, obesity, or Type 2 diabetes. Overeating causes them. Cutting carbs is one way to eat less, but only one of countless ways.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Superhawk - it may not cause it, but it definitely helps with control. My mom, since being in and out of the hospital since Feb, has gotten off of most of her insulin by cutting carbs and she barely eats enough to feed a bird. The times she needs insulin is if she’s had a carb heavy meal.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:31 am

sharperhawk wrote:The truth is that carbs don't cause insulin resistance, obesity, or Type 2 diabetes. Overeating causes them. Cutting carbs is one way to eat less, but only one of countless ways.

Had you bothered to actually watch the video you would have known that your comment was unnecessary... even though part of it focusses on the successful low carb approach of the drs. Unwin (which by the way solved the issue for many diabetics and is saving lots of money by severely reducing meds, simply by lifestyle change), most of it is about eating the right (amount of) carbs for ones body, which is not the same for everyone.

Even dr. David Unwin mentioned that there are more ways to succeed... but it's not just a matter of eat less, move more; that's simplifying the issue and is not helpful for those seeking answers for their personal situation...
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:35 am

Lovebird, I watched the whole documentary. I stand by my statement. Carbohydrate consumption was blamed for insulin resistance, diabetes, and obesity. I don't care enough to find the particular times for the video. The fact that green carbs were given a pass is irrelevant. White and beige carbs do not cause insulin resistance, diabetes, and obesity. Too much energy from any source does.

Unwin said that, but only a low carb diet was presented. Why? Because the video was more of a promotion for LC than it was an objective look at the subject.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:00 am

https://health.spectator.co.uk/the-bbc-is-promoting-carbohydrate-hysteria/
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 am

I guess I'm one of the many "keyboard warriors" who believes in the anecdotal results of thousands of people who have success in addressing various health issues by reducing their consumption of carbs (all types.) I've seen results (weight, reduced allergies, improved illness resistance), my wife has seen results(weight, T2 diabetes) from cutting back on carbs. Now whether it is the carb reduction in and of itself that matters, or reduced calorie consumption because I'm eating something else, or possibly having my appetite reduced, I don't really give a rat's ass, the trigger for the benefit was dramatically cutting carb intake. And the carb reduction worked and is easily maintainable when various other diet & lifestyle mechanisms over 30-40 years didn't work or couldn't be lived with long term.

I'd say that a significant share of the population would see distinct benefits by eliminating carb heavy foods. I don't believe any one approach is always right for everyone, but I've had several friends benefit greatly from dramatically cutting carbs, and none who have failed to see any benefits.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum