Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edible vs. Sacrificial bacon

3 posters

Go down

Edible vs. Sacrificial bacon Empty Edible vs. Sacrificial bacon

Post by Acroyali Sun May 13, 2018 8:28 pm

So we've been having a lot of fun experimenting with bacon and cooking. One of our new favorites is bacon wrapped chicken parts, cooked at a VERRRRY low temp for 2 hours or so.
Most of the time this bacon is totally gross by the time the cooking process is done, so we say our thanks and toss it, or cut it up and give to lucky pets as a treat.
We've tried searing the bacon for a few minutes with mixed results.
If bacon is used as a wrap for slow-cooked meals, is there any good way to make it edible vs. "edible but meh"?
Also....the bacon we buy is the pastured deal and cut kind of thick, if this makes a diff. What a Face

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Edible vs. Sacrificial bacon Empty Re: Edible vs. Sacrificial bacon

Post by Starkanda Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Well, to start, keep giving it to the lucky pets, at least it doesn't go to waste!
I have this same issue when I boil cabbages with bacon. I do wonder if we could try searing it like you say, but put a little oil and salt in the pan? Maybe those things got cooked out of it, leaving not much in the way of taste?
Starkanda
Starkanda

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Maybe a quick trip under the broiler to add a crispy bacon topping to the slow cooked meat.

Or chop it up and add to meatballs, meatloaf, etc.

Slow fry with onions and/or fennel to the point of caramelization. Use as a topping for steak or burgers or a spoon.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down