Perfect Plus Labs. Again.

Go down

Perfect Plus Labs. Again.

Post by OnTheBayou on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Recall in other thread that doc presribed a statin w/o even seeing the newest labs...............which are almost unchanged from 15 months ago.  Despite a month or two or carb carelessness.  A new love relationship will make one (or two) food careless.  Only my A1C sent up from ??4.9 to 5.7, exactly on the cusp of concern.  Probably the same blood in a different lab, or a different blood draw would change that a few digits either way.

Cholesterol 143 mg/dl     140 - 200 mg/dl
Triglycerides 63 mg/dl       35 - 150 mg/dl
HDL Cholesterol 54 mg/dl     >40 mg/dl
LDL Cholesterol 76 mg/dl      80 - 130 mg/dl
CHD 2.65 ratio                      0.00 - 4.44 ratio
A1C-HPLC 5.7 %              3.5 - 5.6 %

Doc also ran this test, first time I think, as if he was bound and determined that I have suffered heart muscle damage:

CK, TOTAL 149 U/L 39 - 308 U/L    Right about midway on the range.  DOH.

FBG was 90, which is 5 points lower than my own glucometer 20 minutes earlier.  I have gotten similar differences testing, then prick again.  I have been seeing much higher 105-122) numbers recently, so glad to see back down.

With trigs at 63, my LDL and total will be even lower if I use the Iranian equation to calculate.  

Once again, despite decades of heavy drinking, my liver enzyme was close to perfect:

Alkaline Phosphatase 49 U/L 37 - 127 U/L

I need to boost my HDL, and I'm surprised that with several months on the niacin, nothing happened.  Will ponder.

On a very different note, I have stopped drinking for at least a couple of months.  Almost two weeks ago I really botched an event with Kirsten and her young adult children.  What was supposed to be something whereby they approved of me, I was fairly toasted.  Knee pain, and hydrocodone, but those are facts, not excuses.

I knew that I had a choice.  Kirsten or alcohol.  A son-in-law once chose the bottle over a family and a commercial flying career.  So I just stopped.  I repeat a mantra as I think of it, "I will NOT lose Kirsten to alcohol!"  Over and over.  Only once did having a beer even cross my mind since then.  Easiest behavior change I've ever done.

Last edited by OnTheBayou on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Perfect Plus Labs. Again.

Post by sharperhawk on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Congrats on the news.

OnTheBayou wrote:I need to boost my HDL, and I'm surprised that with several months on the niacin, nothing happened.  Will ponder.

Why do you think that HDL of 54 mg/dl needs improvement? I am not aware of any study that took people with that level of HDL, increased it, and found real benefits.
sharperhawk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:47 pm

sharperhawk wrote:Congrats on the news.

OnTheBayou wrote:I need to boost my HDL, and I'm surprised that with several months on the niacin, nothing happened.  Will ponder.

Why do you think that HDL of 54 mg/dl needs improvement? I am not aware of any study that took people with that level of HDL, increased it, and found real benefits.

You might be, and probably are, right.  It's the principle that it dropped 18 points from 15 months ago.  Is true that as of the last 5 or 6 months, not so much Sat Fat, coconut oil, fatty beef.

As my LDL's went down, too, the ratio has barely changed. Trig/HDL went from under 1 to about 1.4. Still super excellent, but I loved me dem bragging rights!

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky07 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:38 am

OTB said “I knew that I had a choice.  Kirsten or alcohol.  A son-in-law once chose the bottle over a family and a commercial flying career.  So I just stopped.  I repeat a mantra as I think of it, "I will NOT lose Kirsten to alcohol!"  Over and over.  Only once did having a beer even cross my mind since then.  Easiest behavior change I've ever done.”

Good luck, but my many years in AA taught me that people who stop drinking solely to please another have a 100% failure rate. You have posted that you are a chronic heavy drinker and probably an alcoholic but are not concerned because your liver function has not been impaired. When alcoholics stop drinking to meet someone else’s expectations, that person will invariably disappoint (almost never intentionally but no one is perfect) and the alcoholic will develop a resentment and drink at them. Even if the “special” person does not disappoint by any normal standard, the alcoholic will have a simmering resentment because deep down they want to drink and they will ultimately rationalize a reason for drinking. Maybe you will be an exception.

OTB, I am not offering advice to you personally. That is not my place. I am posting this to give a different perspective for any reader who is having problems with alcohol.

Rocky07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:00 am

@Rocky07:  Thanks for thoughts.  However, I assure you that I am doing this for ME!  Kirsten never told me it was a choice, threatened me, or anything like that.  Totally my choice.

My best friend lives in NM and happens to be visiting me right now.  He was sober 17 years, started drinking again - I knew him in both phases - and has now been sober again for four years. So, we've had plenty of conversation about my recent change.

The evenings, when I used to do my solo drinking, are a bit tough.  I'm not wanting to drink, but I'm hitting the food as oral substitute. Ugh.

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:27 am

Addendum: Using the Iranian equation, my LDL is 66!  The low trigs and LDL imply that the latter is mostly the light, fluffy good guys.

https://www.thecalculator.co/health/LDL-Calculator-683.html

Addendum to the addendum: The above would make my TC 135. Frankly, that makes me nervous.......

Last edited by OnTheBayou on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:26 am

Congrats on the blood work results.
I'm solidly with you on the drinking. Stopping because it meets your own objectives should work. I've posted in other spots that several of my extended family members had drinking issues, and it always ended badly with illness, personal relations failing, etc.

I hope you can maintain your current position for the long haul. I think you've got the perfect reason to hang in there with Kirsten.

A word of caution -- if you've stayed away from the booze long enough, you will probably find that if you have a drink you will find that the alcohol affects you much faster and stronger than you would expect.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Caution heard! I would expect as much.

K and I discussed this matter a lot yesterday, including what if I want to drink because of something she does or did. First, I can't imagine that, especially in terms of fidelity. Her history there. Anyway, I told her, it's binary. I either drink or I don't, meaning if I reach for the bottle I know I went to the dark side. I then have a choice of either lying to her and myself, or telling her. In either case, I did not meet my own standard.

Not going to go there.

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky07 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:38 am

Solitary whiteknuckling is tough. Much easier with support from folks who have been there and done that.

Rocky07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:34 am

Congrats on the blood work. I’m wondering If you spoke with your PCP and asked “now that you’ve seen my blood work, tell me again why you want me on statins”. I’d love to hear his/her reaction.

Good luck with staying strong on the alcohol front.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:18 am

^ Same here re the PCP.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 am

No, I've not talked to the doc. And my blood work even a year ago contraindicates statins even w/o my demographics. I am totally fed up with ARC Austin Regional Clinic for many reasons over the last two and a half years. I need to get a current copy of docs in my area in my program (Medicare, Advantage Program via United Health Care) and find new providers. Terrible communications; this statin thing is just the proverbial straw.

I expect to have my left knee replaced in a week. Should not have any interactions with Doc again. So, after all that. Orthopedic surgeon seems OK.....so far.

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Best to you as you have your knee done.

I still would have the convo with the PCP. Make em squirm.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Best to you as you have your knee done.

I still would have the convo with the PCP.  Make em squirm.

I intend to write several letters to the appropriate administrators and department heads.

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:13 pm

OTB, I had issues with my Medicare Advantage plan 2 yrs back, mostly revolving around what docs/hospitals etc were available to me. Last year I changed over to a straight Medicare program, with a "G" supplement from Mutual of Omaha. Much happier with this, no issues on who's available to me, can essentially go anywhere. I also feel like I'm more in control of things than with the Advantage plan. Cost of supplement is about 140/mo, last year with my knee replacement surgery, I had their 140/mo, and the medicare deductible of 138. That was my total MD out of pocket $ for the year. Does not include Rx plan, which I have from another provider. Does not cover vision/dental either.

Could be something for you to check out for your next re-up at year end.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:55 am

I have to second Rig on the Medicare w/medigap. Thanks to his great info it’s what we did with my DH and he hits medical hard with all his supplies and equipment. His Medigap G is 132 a month with a notice it is supposed to go down to 125, yes you read that right, going down. I was shocked, I kept waiting to hear it would go up based on used. Ours is through TransAmerica. And definitely nice to call who you want to vs who you are “allowed” to.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down