Katie's Primal Path

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Katie's Primal Path

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm with you on the dark - I need sunshine!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 pm

I agree^

I was born and raised in Oregon, the rainy western side. I love the green and the moderate temps. The worst part of the year is late July and into August when we have near 100 degree days and 80 degree nights. But for 3 weeks a year - I can take it Smile I lived in Boise for 15 years, and although I loved the dryness and the clear skies - the dead and brown of the landscapes made me kinda depressed. I need GREEN!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Unfortunately the lack of sunshine coincides with winter, I really don't like extreme cold and snow. The short winter days and always cloudy make it much, much worse. We lived in the Deee-troit area for 3+ years and I referred to it as "the land of the mole people" cause you were in the dark all the time from November to March. I felt like all the black people turned a lighter brown, and the white people's skin became nearly translucent. We moved there from Georgia and the change of climate was really, really hard to handle. My company hired 15 southerners in my "class", and I was one of only two who survived the first winter, the rest bailed out and moved back south. Both my daughters are in Oregon, Portland and on the coast. It is beautiful country but the rain and cloudiness would make it really tough to live there for me, I bitch enough about not enough sunshine here.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Interesting...now that I think about it, I've never been to a dry part of the country in the middle of summer. I'll try to appreciate the greenness around me when the humidity hits!

Mole people....lol!

A couple years ago I was considering moving to Western NY. I can tolerate the cold pretty well in small doses but I think that would have been too much for me to handle.

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:11 am

Oh, I agree on the greenness. I love green, it is probably my favourite colour.

Here on the west coast of NZ we have temperate weather, never REALLY hot nor REALLY cold - some seasons not even a frost - but we also get a LOT of rain. I used to weary of it, but now I appreciate it and try not to grumble too much.

Mid year, the thought of moving to Australia where it's warmer and drier holds some appeal, but I seriously believe I was born in the most beautiful place on earth and would be mad to give it up.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:48 pm

How about both long cold winters AND hot  summers? We can get both. This last winter was brutal and our snowpack is 142 % of normal. Daily we hear of mudslides and washouts, including our main roads out of town. Frost yesterday, but our cherry buds are swelling, and we made it to 68*F yesterday. By the end of May, we can hit 100*F, and it can last for weeks, right into late July, early August. Fortunately, it's not a humid heat, because this is technically a desert.
Anyway, welcome Katie and doggo, and hope you find what you need here. Very Happy

Paysan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:50 pm

NZ is on my bucket list! It's so beautiful there.

Paysan, thanks for the welcome! Sounds like you get the best of both worlds.

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Down .6 pounds this week. That's 4.2 pounds total for my first 4 weeks. Painfully slow, but I'm happy to be moving in the right direction.

It has been absolutely glorious outside this whole weekend but other than a short walk with the dog, I've been spending most of it inside. I meant to go out on the kayak yesterday but was feeling kind of run down. So I relaxed at home and finished up a sewing project. I'm very happy with how it turned out!

Yoga class this morning was a bit more intense than usual but it felt great. I've been getting chores done around the house and I'll be meeting my dad for dinner in an hour. I had a craving for this salmon salad that is not exactly primal but it's pretty close and really yummy. Still need to meal prep for the week but I should have enough time after dinner.

I'm going to try to incorporate more exercise this week. We'll see!

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Love you sewing project. Great job!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Love the shirt! Wish I had the patience and creativity for such projects.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am

Cute top.

I used to sew; now, not so much. In fact I was trying to fix a top I want to wear. It needed fixing as the bowed neck opening showed bra straps (my straps are wider). Regardless, got an idea of how to remedy and ended up sewing from the wrong side!!! Of course, this was all a last minute idea. I can tear that out but there it sits.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks everyone! Pam, you have the right idea. If a project isn't cooperating, it goes in time out!

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:23 pm

Nice work, Katierose.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:16 am

Love the top! I would buy that. I need to learn to sew.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Nice top! Smile When I was younger I made almost all my own clothes. Back in the 70's and 80's it was cost effective and popular. Now not so much. I started sewing when I was 12 and stopped sometime in my late 20's. I think I discovered thrift shops about that time. Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:25 am

Annieh wrote:Nice work, Katierose.

Thank you Annie!

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 am

The Walrus wrote:Love the top! I would buy that. I need to learn to sew.

What a compliment! Thank you!

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:28 am

tomi1000 wrote:Nice top! [smiley]https://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/smiley] When I was younger I made almost all my own clothes. Back in the 70's and 80's it was cost effective and popular. Now not so much. I started sewing when I was 12 and stopped sometime in my late 20's. I think I discovered thrift shops about that time. [smiley]https://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/smiley]

Thanks Tomi! It really isn't cheaper to make your own, but I really do enjoy having a creative outlet.

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:18 pm

No official loss this week, but I was 2 pounds down on Wednesday before AF showed up. That was encouraging to see. AF has left me feeling pretty drained, so I didn't get as much activity in as I planned. But I did get a nice long walk with the dog on Saturday. The weather was just too nice to stay inside.

Watched "The Magic Pill" on Netflix. It's a documentary about the ketogenic diet. I liked how they emphasized whole foods and high quality protein sources. Was not surprised to see Joel Salatin make an appearance. There were two non-verbal autistic children that started talking after several weeks on the diet. One was speaking in complete sentences. Amazing!

I have an old friend coming up from NC this weekend, and I'll be making dinner for her Saturday. Need to figure out what to make. Probably a roast. It's been a while since I've cooked for anyone other than myself and I've missed it!

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Congrats on the loss. It will be back.

I’ll have to look that up on Netflix. Sounds like an interesting documentary.

Have fun with your friend.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm watching The Magic Pill right now! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu May 03, 2018 8:15 am

I watched the Magic Pill on Netflix. LoveBird has also posted in her journal a youtube link to it. Thanks for the info KatieRose. In addition to Salatin, they featured several other familiar faces: Noakes, Perlmutter, Fung, and several others whose names escape me. Around 48 minutes in, there is a nice section with a woman who had success fighting cancer by going keto. Very interesting stuff.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sat May 05, 2018 8:27 am

Hope you all enjoyed it! Rig, those names were all familiar to me and it was nice to put faces to them. Salatin's farm is a couple hours south of here. You can place an order online and they deliver to different areas in Virginia every weekend. His son Daniel used to make the deliveries. That guy had forearms like Popeye!

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sat May 05, 2018 8:30 am

Also...I doubt Noakes would have won that trial had it taken place in the U.S. The processed food industry is too powerful here.

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sun May 06, 2018 9:56 am

Down 2.4 pounds this week Very Happy So I seem to be doing something right, but at the same time I've been having strange symptoms lately.  I get minor stomach cramps and bloating after I eat, even though I'm not eating anything different.  And I've been having some trouble staying asleep.  I think it could be due to IF.  For the past month I've been consistently skipping breakfast, because I'm just not hungry for it.  So I googled "side effects of IF" or something like that and sure enough, there are some blogs describing the same symptoms I've been having.  Apparently IF can be stressful for some people, and if you have adrenal issues you shouldn't do it.  Well, crap!  I've had high cortisol in the past.  I definitely don't want to do anything to raise cortisol because the insomnia I experienced from that was a nightmare.  So I'll have to go back to eating three times a day even if I'm not hungry.  Fingers crossed that this helps!

No yoga class this morning.  All classes at the rec center have been cancelled, because they are using the space as a temporary shelter.  There was a fire at a senior living facility and 75 people had to evacuate.  At the same time, a row of townhouses burned down just a few miles away.  I think in total about 100 people were affected.  Thankfully no one was seriously hurt.

My friend left earlier this morning to visit with her family and then head back to NC.  It was great catching up with her.  I had thought about making tacos since it was cinco de mayo, but decided I really didn't want all those carbs.  So I ended up making a somewhat primal meal of chicken meatballs, mashed potatoes and asparagus.  It was really yummy and I didn't feel lousy after eating it so I'd call that a win.

I'm about to do some meal planning for this week, and hopefully get in a long walk with the dog if it doesn't rain.

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next