MDA on Facebook

Go down

MDA on Facebook

Post by Rocky07 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:16 am

I do not do Facebook but am curious if any of you are following Mark on Facebook? Has it adequately replaced the defunct MDA message board? Do you think Mark will eventually totally abandon his website? Probably not because it looks like Mark is effectively using Facebook to direct viewers to his website.

This article sums up my feeling about Mark:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/problem-marks-daily-apple

Rocky07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MDA on Facebook

Post by RedComet on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:27 am

I joined the MDA Facebook group. It is in no way a stand-in for the old forum. Frankly, it just filled my newsfeed with a glut of random posts, which I've since hidden. Discussions there are fleeting because the platform is extremely shallow. Unlike a forum, where you've got static threads and such, FB is a constant churn of content. There's no time or opportunity for depth.

I reckon Mark will eventually ditch the site, or sell it off. While I do think that he genuinely enjoys writing/health science, he's been doing it for years now and is clearly shifting his focus to monetization. Already, the quality of his posts has begun to slide. I once went to MDA for what I felt were the highest quality blog posts on health and nutrition on the web. Anymore, there's a lot of fluff in the mix, and one can't help but feel that his enthusiasm has waned.
RedComet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:16 am

I've taken a look at the MDA FB platform and I tend to agree with Red Comet - it's just a constant barage of shallow commentary that clogs up your news feed.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:31 am

I just read the article you linked. I do agree he has shifted to a monetizing platform. But, at the same time, I do realize he's running a business. As such, he's in the business of making money. I don't deny him that at all. And I do have Mark to thank for my health and the way I look at food. Heck, I have Mark to thank for discovering that I'm gluten-intolerant at best, celiac at worst. It was his primal plan that I did that made me realize just how terrible wheat made me feel. And I will forever give him credit for that.

I just wish he'd stuck with his pure Primal approach of real food and stayed away from product.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:54 am

Ontario I could not agree with your more. It was through Marks site at the time and his primal blueprint that got me on the road to health. I too will be forever grateful. However, the forums also played a huge role as this one does as well.

We can bang ideas, thoughts, concerns off of one another. We can let others know how we went about things and give some loose guideance which, obviously Mark could never do that for everyone.

As we are all individuals, a one size fits all approach will never work. That’s what I loved about Marks approach. Ok, here’s the ideal, but make it work for you within some set parameters.

It’s a shame that all business comes down to cold hard cash. In a dream world, it would be different.

I have a feeling his product end was a result of many people complaining that it was “too hard”. It’s not difficult to make mayo, takes very little time. However we are an instant society and if we can buy it off the shelf rather than make it ourselves. We’ll do it.

I think in the beginning it was his way to try and get others hooked on primal. Make it as simple stupid as possible. However, it grew and the income started showing and he’s not getting younger and one thing led to another.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:48 am

The article was quite good imo. I agree with most of it, and agree that MDA provided the nucleus for me to improve my health quite a bit. I just hope Mark doesn't go forward in such a way that his content declines even more and the MDA site fails.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:37 pm

I skimmed the article in the OP. I dunno, I kind of disagree with the criticism of the products. To the best of my knowledge, Mark isn't selling "chocolate bars with caramel coating". That's extremely disingenuous. Unless he rolled out a Primal Snickers bar without my realizing it, I think the writer of that article is talking about Mark's collagen bars--which may not be whole foods, but are not at all what I'd call "unhealthy". Framing them as junk food is a shitty thing to do. I'm not going to evangelize about Monk Fruit, but it is a naturally-sourced sweetener, as is Stevia. I don't overdo either of them, and am not generally fond of their taste. But I wouldn't call them unhealthy or particularly unnatural. The writer of that article makes it sound like the bars are laced with Sweet'N Low. The gripes about the magnesium supplements also strike me as dumb. Marketing them as "Primal Calm" may be a little groan-worthy, but there's a buttload of literature out there about the benefits of magnesium supplementation, and the product itself may still have merit.

I have tried a lot of Mark's products over the years. I've enjoyed most of them, and I still trust him to put out quality stuff. I suppose that if one is really into paleo roleplaying ("I wouldn't eat anything that a caveman wouldn't have access to!"), or wants to maintain a 100% pure whole food diet without exception, then things like collagen bars are unnecessary. That doesn't mean they aren't decent products that fill a niche for other people.

I don't like the recent commercialization of MDA. The past year or two, Mark's content has felt a bit watered down. But I still trust him to put out good products. It's not like he's sneaking wheat into his bars, or coating them in high fructose corn syrup. So cavemen didn't enjoy snack bars or magnesium pills. And? If any brand of convenience foods out there routinely checks all of my boxes for "acceptable nourishment", it's Mark's. I still read the labels of his products, but I've never run against something in them that I can call a red flag, and I'm capable of being as assiduous about ingredient-puritanism as anyone.

He's sold out, in a sense, but I still trust him. He's more interested in shilling his (usually decent) products than anything these days, and it's disappointing, but I don't believe he'd ever put out something that he wouldn't eat himself.
RedComet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:15 pm

I. Don't. Do. Facebook. Yet more reasons why, 50 million of them to be exact, showed up in the last week. When I've looked at people's pages, I am appalled at how shallow most of the content and commentary is. And the format is so much harder to follow than an old fashioned forum.

The graph in the noted article was interesting. I started with the PB in June 2009 when he had about 12K visitors, it went to 100K, and it's now back to 12K.

All great things must..........sputter out.

OnTheBayou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Rocky07 wrote:I do not do Facebook but am curious if any of you are following Mark on Facebook? Has it adequately replaced the defunct MDA message board? Do you think Mark will eventually totally abandon his website? Probably not because it looks like Mark is effectively using Facebook to direct viewers to his website.

This article sums up my feeling about Mark:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/problem-marks-daily-apple

I don't do facebook either, but if I did I doubt it as others I know (that are on facebook) say joining too many groups or following too many people really clutters/screws up your feed/wall/whatever it is these damn kids are calling that facebook home page thing these days.

I feel bad the forums are gone. I lurked for many years and read a lot of interesting (and hilarious) threads.

Acroyali

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down