The Girl with the Chicken Liver Tatoo

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: The Girl with the Chicken Liver Tatoo

Post by LoonieJ on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am

Hi, Pam,

I did go and buy the ingredients. Trying to keep my hands off the mozzarella until I prepare the dish is a trial. Cool
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 am

Good morning!

Random thoughts:

Searching for an apt in this area has become a nightmare. My first theraapist was so discouraged that she and her husband actually bought a home because that was easier!

Tony Bourdain died by his own hand last week. Processing. The guy who had the job everyone wants - traveling around the world eating interesting food and getting nice money to do so. Called a Bad Boy because of his keen ability to call bullshit where bullshit needed to be called. But when one really looked at it, he never picked on anyone weaker than he. Gut Fieri, Paula Deen, Rachel Ray, even Emeril. But never the little guy, for he was the little guy's champion. The planet is suddenly quieter - and not in a good way.

Funny enough, I learned about Bourdain and Sisson around the same time. In one ear I was hearing about healthful eating; in the other I heard, "Eat it all." One wanted us to shun the SAD, to get exercise and sun, and to avoid poisons. The other smoked, and drank to excess - all the while sharing with us his wonderment as his life in food suddenly expanded from NYC to The World (Or Parts Unknown, if you will.).

If I learned anything from these two, it was to stop limiting myself to foods with which I was comfortable. To appreciate the lives that I was eating. I made myself watch videos of animals being slaughtered. I gained even more respect for hunters. Hell, I ate tongues and testicles - and I'll eat pig snouts sometime before I die.

I even got a little joy in the grocery store by saying things like, "Thank you so much for your life, dear pig," as I put a pork roast in my basket. And laughed at the furtive glances from other shoppers.

So, if the Good Boy was telling me to eat it all because it's healthy, the Bad Boy was telling me to eat it all because it's there.

That said, my meal for tonight will be fairly tame. A nice thick tomato sauce with pork and veggies over polenta.

Peace, love, and food,
LJ
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Enjoying your writing Smile

The Bourdain suicide is sad. I heard he had his demons, alcohol and heroin. Could have been an accident - too much without the clear head to realize it. We enjoyed his shows - especially the way he seemed to be at ease in any culture and setting. Robin Williams passing was equally as hard to take. Both men seemed to have the world by the tail............ and yet, they both fought their own demons. You never know what darkness lurks in peoples minds.

Interesting comparison between Bourdain and Sisson.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Guy Fieri Is Finally Getting the Hollywood Star He Deserves - https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/a21989483/guy-fieri-hollywood-star/

The "guy" has a bachelors' degree in hospitality - he's not a chef. Even though his sister was (she's deceased) a lesbian, he's a homophobic a-hole. I've eaten at a couple of places he raved about (when I was in New Orleans), and they were mediocre at best.

So, a star on theWalk of Fame means that a lot of people like you. Most people are mediocre schmucks.* Congrats Guy Fieri. Poster-child for mediocrity.

*Except y'all. I really loves y'all y'all.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:56 pm

You have this knack for making me smile, Joanie. As always, thanks for your input.

I never liked Guy. He ate too many carbs. haha
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:26 pm

So what's for dinner tonight, Joanie?

Can't stand Guy...or Paula...or Rachel. Emeril rates a meh. Anyone remember when the Food Network had real chefs and actually taught people to cook? I miss that.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:23 am

LOL, Pam about Guy. I think if Fieri could make 50cents off it, he'd eat boiled sock and then tell his audience that he loved it. Always happy to see you smile. ***huggz***

Walrus, I do remember the older days of the Food Network. Now it's all flash for cash, and not much substance. That said, I'm a sucker for anything with Iron Chef in the title. geek

For dinner? I've been trying to make easy stuff because of the heat. Anyway, I've been getting this stellar deal on chicken thighs/legs. The only downside is it comes 10 lbs frozen. So, I defrost it and cook it, then wrap up/freeze the four dinner portions after we eat one.

It's a good thing I do because this heat is killing us. Anyway, I got up very early this morning (I crawled out of bed and tried to pry my eyelids open), and while I drank my first cuppa, I peeled potatoes, cut them, boiled them, drained them and made potato salad. I don't remember exactly, but rice vinegar, yogurt, mustard, white pepper, garlic powder, and (don't judge!) a tiny bit of Miracle Whip was involved. Considering that I was barely awake, I was amazed that it came out as good as it did. At about 3pm, I pulled some already cooked chicken from the freezer, and a bag of frozen broccoli. This way, come dinner time, saute the broccoli in some olive oil and lemon juice, throw a handful of frozen peas in, pull chicken from bones and toss that in, and boom - main course. Side of potato salad.

And if you would have told me a year ago I'd ever be with a man who ate Miracle Whip, I'd have busted up laughing. Love makes you do the wacky.

Peace,
J
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:35 am

Wrote this a couple of days ago, so I probably should post it already. Rolling Eyes

Random thoughts in the wee hours.

So many years on the planet, so many food fads. And each fad is "The Answer." Low fat will make everyone thin. Well, that didn't work. We're fatter than ever. We're dealing with the first generation of Americans that won't live longer than their parents. Sigh.

Low carb. This one has more sticking power. It's been called a number of things: Atkins, Paleo, Primal, Keto. My stand? Basically, the govt is wrong that we need something like 60% of our calories from carbs. But, we don't need to deprive ourselves of things like fruit for heaven's sake. Just my opinion.

Vegetarian, Fruitarian, Vegan, ad nauseum. IMNSHO, these are First World issues. Except for maybe India, you take a poor family almost anywhere in the world, and gift them a damned chicken leg, and they will chop that sucker up (skin, meat, bone, everything), put it in a veggie-filled broth, and serve it to the family. Also, and this is only second-hand info, someone told me that the Bible talks about eating meat when you need strength. (Don't worry, I'm still your very own in-house looney atheist.)

I admit that for about a week in the mid-80s, I tried Pritikin. Think about 180degrees from Primal. The thing is, you have to eat so much food. Like piglet amounts. Rice and veggies and fruit - I love them all. But by the end of one week, I was gagging them down, and I would have given my then-fiance's left nut for a hamburger or a plate of bacon and eggs.

The Buddha advised taking the middle road. It's a pretty comfy place sometimes. It's hard for me because I'm too often a black/white person. But I try. And with food, I've come to this: The Earth has this huge bounty for us to eat and enjoy. I don't want to "never" eat legumes again. But I don't have to make them a staple of my diet. Lentil soup once in a blue moon. Cold pea salad. Hummus (gasp!) (I don't think I've had hummus in almost a year, so we're really talking once in a while.). Italian Wedding Soup - basically a chicken, meatball, veggie soup with a handful of pasta thrown in - I know, now we're talking wheat, and them's fightin' words.

IOW moderation. Before I make a meal, I think taste and health. Funny, how they mostly go together. I think about how roast chicken with asparagus and potatoes tastes vs a frozen pizza, and it's an easy choice. The healthy one tastes fantastic, and the unhealthy one tastes like poop on a stick.

So, the Earth has this bounty. I'm not going to insult her by ditching something because of a philosophy. IOW, scallops make me gag, so I won't eat them. I'm not going to eat corn that isn't organic because our government has been selling us GMO corn since 2013 without warning us. I'm still mostly a protein-centric sorta girl. But, I'm branching out. I want to eat all the food.

Not food thoughts.

It's 5am. I was supposed to be somewhere at 8am. I've got a bad feeling that's not going to happen. (It didn't.)

We're having the hottest weather. Like sometimes hotter than New Orleans. It's supposed to be 98 degrees today. Wahhhh. I wear a lot of black. I have for a gazillion years. I love when someone (on a 98 degree day for example) asks me, "Aren't you hot?" Eff, yeah, aren't you? Sheesh.

I just saw light outside my window. There's a nice park nearby. I'm going to take a mug of coffee, and go there to enjoy the start of my day.

Peace, love, and air conditioning,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:51 am

Thought you might like this (last?) interview with Anthony Bourdain too: https://popula.com/2018/07/15/bourdain-confidential/ Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Thank you, Lovebird!

Some of the things he said struck so close to home. I truly enjoyed that.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Good Saturday morning to y'all!

Quiet day today as the Lovemuffin goes into town to sell his wares. I shall do many productive things.

Stare off into space... And since thinking is hard, that will require a nap.

There are a few slices of mortadella, pastrami, and provolone in the fridge. I think I'll put them in some scrambled eggs...

Speaking of deli, I've been living right down the street from an Italian deli for months now, and just noticed. The cold cuts are lovely, and they have a good selection of sausages. Honestly, I'm such a deli ho, I think that I could live on the stuff for a month before I even thought of a homemade meal. It doesn't always have to be sandwiches, either. As mentioned above, it can be in eggs or even just put on a plate with chilled roasted peppers, marinated mushrooms/artichoke hearts - IOW an antipasto for one.

The one thing this deli noticeably is lacking is a wall of Things in Jars. This would be the roasted and marinated things mentioned above. As well as pepperoncini, olives (those nasty, salty, shriveled black ones with the bitter taste -yum), etc. Have I mentioned stuffed cherry peppers? He said he tried selling those things for awhile, but they didn't do well.

Now I've made myself hungry, and it's not even noon, yet. Poop.

What else can I do today? Arm pit check indicates a maybe on a shower.

I have some sugar-free orange drink somewhere in the pantry. And vodka. What would we name that? How 'bout a Low Rent Sugar-Free Screwdriver? Like totally not Paleo approved. *chuckle*

Last night's dinner: hot dogs sliced the long way and pan-fried, then covered in a couple of slices of provolone, and melted. No bread, just a fork.

Tonight's: Chicken thighs and mashed cauliflower.

So, I guess I'll be having a busy day after all:

-Stare into space
-Think
-Nap
-Skarf down the last of the deli
-Contemplate the necessity of showering
-Make Low Rent Sugar-Free Screwdrivers
-Make dinner, which since the chicken thighs just need defrosting (I baked a batch a few days ago) and heating, and he usually mashes the cauliflower 'cuz he's so big and strong...

Saturday good.

Peace, love, and getting in touch with my inner sloth,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:59 pm

LoonieJ wrote:Thank you, Lovebird!

Some of the things he said struck so close to home. I truly enjoyed that.

You're welcome Joanie.

You sound like my best friend in that last post... yay on the great deli food.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Sounds like a lovely day with yummy food. What could be better!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Love me some deli food - I like to call it a 'charcuterie plate' and be a total snob. I could eat that every day, no worries.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:13 am

Lbird, hopefully, your best friend is more stable than I am in the mental health area. *chuckle* cyclops

M2M, I can only think of one thing better...

Walrus, I love 'charcuterie plate.'  Cool It's like mortadella. Tastes like bologna, but mortadella sounds so much snootier.

Loves ya's!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:17 am

Hi, hi, everyone!

I don't know about everyone else, but this heat is kicking my ass. The good news is that it's making it pretty easy to stick to one meal a day. Speaking of which...

A version of the ubiquitous Spinach Artichoke Dip (which might be Primal, but too much dairy to be Paleo):

10 oz frozen spinach, defrosted. Squeeze the water out. Finely chop.
14 oz can artichoke hearts in water. Drain, reserving fluid. Chop. Really, if they're already quartered, just cut once between the leaves and the heart.
8 oz  cream cheese cut or torn into about 8 pieces
4 oz shredded cheddar
4 oz plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Garlic powder to taste

From here, there are a few ways to go. But basically, combine everything 'til gooey and hot, then dip stuff in it. I reserved the artichoke liquids because just reading the ingredients led me to believe it might need a bit more moisture. I was right for me, but you might like it really thick thick. Also, some people put this under the broiler until bubbly. Which sounds yum. IOW, make it your own.

I also did something different. Instead of dipping stuff in it, I put it over gluten free pasta.* OMJeebus was that good!

*I'm such a flippin' liar. I put it over SAD old 92c/lb pasta.

Before dinner:

Me: Honey, you like artichoke hearts, right?
Him: I can take 'em or leave 'em.
Me: Well, you're going to have "take 'em," because that's what's for dinner.**
Him: *small grunt*

** I more or less love this guy, but he eats PB&J burritos, and also eats Miracle Whip. There isn't anything in my cooking repertoire that he's not going to like.

After dinner:

Him: That was so good! Thank-you.
Me: You may kiss my feet, now.
Him: I would, but I'm so stuffed that if I kneeled to do that, I'm not sure how long it would take me to get up.
Me: Not much use being with a man more than a decade my junior if one measley pasta dish knocks you out of commission for hours.
Him: *small grunt*

Anyway, it's just after 5:am Thursday as I write this. Forecast is 96 degreesF. Tomorrow through Sunday seems to be  bit of a reprieve, with temps under 90, but after that, it's bend over for the weather gods/goddesses. Sigh.

The sun is coming up. There's a crescent moom in the sky. Time for me to head to the skool yard for some cool air and quiet.

Peace, love, and artichokes,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Miracle Whip might be a deal breaker for me! So icky!

Delis are one of the many things I love about New Jersey! You have the traditional Eye-talian ones and the more trendy ones with charcuterie. Food, even local fruits and vegetables, is pretty amazing here, which surprised a California snob like me. Lamb belly is my new love.

I hear you on the heat! I am used to dry heat but this humid heat is keeping me inside. Daisy refuses to go outside unless she has to potty or car ride is involved. Smart puppy!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:06 am

Vbaby, I've missed you!

Yes, where ever there are many Italians, there is good deli, pizza, and seafood. Lamb belly? Oh my, that sounds stellar.

Daisy is very wise. Cool
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:11 am

Hey, hey, Everyone!

A reprieve day on the heat front. It's 74F at 1pm, and we even got a little rain! It was just a shpritz but, that counts.

The Originals has ended. I liked the show. I have to say, the series finale was wonderful. Brotherly love, *tear drop*.

Food, glorious food...

First, the Primal walk of shame...

Last night: Baked ziti. Well, at least there were eggs in the cheese mixture.
Tonight: Quiche, which is pretty much Primal, except for the crust. I should make it crustless, but... crust.

Quickest not-too-bad-for-you dessert. I defrosted some blueberries and raspberries in a jar (any container with a lid is fine). When they were defrosted, I put in about one cup of plain Greek yogurt, and two tablespoons sherbet. Stir it all together. Yum city.

Happy Dance, or Neener Neener, Monsanto. One for our side. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/08/lawsuit-brings-289-million-verdict-against-maker-of-roundup-weed-killer/

One last food thing. I like arancini, but rice is pretty bereft of any nutrition, and then there's rolling them in bread crumbs. But, lo and behold, there's something called Papas Rellenas or Stuffed Potato Balls (yeah, I had no idea that potatoes had balls either), and these are pretty much the same thing as arancini, but with mashed potato.

The recipe is here: https://www.thespruceeats.com/papas-rellenas-stuffed-potato-balls-recipe-2137763 - Switch out potato starch for corn starch. Switch out lard/olive oil/coconut oil/schmaltz/etc. for the veggie oil, and you have a nice snack. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it seems like it would work.

I've had a stiff neck for about three days. Pain makes me cranky. This too shall pass. Later: Note: Lovemuffin recommended quinine water for the pain in my neck. I still can't get into some yoga stretches, but I can look to the left/right without moving my whole upper body. Relief...ahhh...

Peace, love, and many berries,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:27 am

LoonieJ wrote:First, the Primal walk of shame...

Last night: Baked ziti. Well, at least there were eggs in the cheese mixture.
Tonight: Quiche, which is pretty much Primal, except for the crust. I should make it crustless, but... crust.

There's supposed to be eggs in baked ziti? confused

Quiche crust can be made Primal too...  Cool

Then again there's the 80/20 rule...  Very Happy

By the sound of it you exceeded the 20...  Razz

Which calls for punishment of some sort... study

So I hope it's was worth it... no doubt about that one though  sunny

Thanks for the Paul Simon song btw, had to look it up as it wasn't available here, nice choice.

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/brussels-sausage-bacon-quiche-with-sweet-potato-crust/ she has other options too which need more work... which makes it an easy choice... Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 am

Happy Dance, or Neener Neener, Monsanto. One for our side.
Mon-satan has deep pockets, and they can't afford to start losing this type of case. Certain to appeal. Hope they lose their butts.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 am

Agree with both LB and Rig. Have an awesome day!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am

Lovebird, yes on the eggs in the baked ziti! Just one or two in the ricotta so it bakes up firm. Like in lasagna. It was totally worth it.  pirat Mostly, I'm an 80/20 girl, but sometimes....

As for paying for it, let's just say nobody should light a match by my butt.  affraid

RigD, I'm with you. There are people lined up around the proverbial block waiting to sue them. I think this is the beginning of the end for them.

Narrowminded, Great day to you also!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 am

Lovebird,

That quiche recipe looks totally doable. I wonder if russets would work. Off to google...
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 pm

LoonieJ wrote:Lovebird,

That quiche recipe looks totally doable. I wonder if russets would work. Off to google...

Most of her recipes do. Very Happy

Did you find it? Smile http://www.vodkaandbiscuits.com/2017/05/09/potato-crusted-quiche/

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/potato-crusted-quiche-with-smoked-cheddar-and-canadian-bacon-5822

There are others that use fresh shredded potatoes or frozen hashbrowns... but I like the name of the first blog. Cool It reminded me of the 'bread, booze & bacon' one I posted at Tomi's journal. pirat
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next