The Girl with the Chicken Liver Tatoo

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: The Girl with the Chicken Liver Tatoo

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:13 am

Quick tip that I thought was good for ridding one's closet of unused clothes: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-closet-tric-35781

From the more complete article: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/20-ways-to-organize-your-bedroom-closet-43236
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:09 am

I like the quick tip LoonieJ. Now to remember that in six months time. We'll see.

Thanks for trying to help us overcome the unused clothing issue.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Ah, I needed that link... I think... Seems like there are a number of winter dresses that I really like but that I never managed to wear this past winter and I'm not really sure why not. Decisions, decisions - put in the maybe give away bag or just bite the bullet and do it?
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:33 am

Let's celebrate Discardia! Smile Not sure I agree on the 6 month timeline though... as there are seasons to keep in mind. But it's good to be mindful of possessions and remove clutter to make space and breathe.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:03 pm

I agree that tossing seasonal clothing could be a big miss!

Okay, on to today's lunacy:

Good day, everyone!

I've become a bit of a recipe junkie lately. I subscribe to too many food sites, and consequently, my email box is full of recipes.

One thing I've learned: for the home cook, everything is merely variations on a theme. IOW, an email that's going to show me '25 Grilled Cheese recipes You're Not Making,' is probably correct. First, I'd venture to say that I don't eat anywhere near 10 grilled cheese sandwiches in a year, let alone 25. It's mostly the whole 'Paleos don't eat' bread thing. Because, who doesn't like melty cheesy goodness?

Shameful confession: I do eat (close your eyes if you're sensitive) ... bread.

Oddly enough, it's not because I jones for sandwiches. I've gotten so used to two burger patties with sour cream and green salsa on them, that adding bread would most likely taste oddly glue-y. Cold cuts don't trigger the yen for bread. Brie from a spoon, avocado or cheese wrapped in ham - it's all good. Even lox and cream cheese tastes better wrapped in nori than on a bagel.

But there is something that makes me just gotta have it. That's when I want some kind of substantial bread, slathered with quality butter, and dipped into my coffee. I'd like to say that at least I try to make it Ezekial bread, but sadly, my bread sin doesn't come with a qualifier. A bagel (especially an Everything bagel), a hunk of sourdough or crispy Italian bread, a toasty English muffin. Slather. Dip.

Fortunately this behavior is rare.

But I digress...

So, recipes. It just ain't all that difficult. You just have to have a bit of a plan.

1. Do I want to eat meat or other animal product (eggs? cheese?)? (This should be asked in the AM, so defrosting can take place if necessary.)

• If yes, take something out of the freezer.
    If no, go to step two.

2. Do I want (a) non-starchy veggie(s)? Pick one/some or go to next step. Defrost frozen veggies.

3. Do I want a starchy veggie? Pick one or go to next step.

4. Is some kind of gravy, topping, or sauce desired? How about spices?

And that's pretty much it. Whether you're already doing this by reflex, or you're new to cooking and being overwhelmed at how to cook now that you've come to the dark side of shunning prepared foods, it's basically that simple.

Or: Work backwards in one of two ways.

This:
1. What animal and plant products do I have?
2. What would taste good together?
3. Is some kind of gravy, topping, or sauce desired? How about spices?
*This makes you a Chopped home cook.

Or this:
1. Find a recipe that sounds good/interesting.
2. See what you already have. This includes anything that might be a good substitution.
3. If necessary, go shopping to fill in whatever you lack.
4. Now go play in your kitchen and have fun!

Today's handy tip: Eating Down the Pantry. Not an alltogether new idea, but a reminder is occasionally good.
There a ton of hits for Eating Down the Pantry, or Pantry Challenge, so here's the basic idea. Depending on how often you shop, or how often you want to do it:

-Take stock of what's your pantry, freezer, and fridge.
-A written inventory works well.
-Assess how many meals you can get out of what you have.
-Don't go grocery shopping until you've 'Eaten Down the Pantry.'

There are two main reasons to occasionally do this. First it teaches you what not to buy because it just languishes, and maybe even goes bad. Second, you save money by not having to grocery shop that week (month? few days?).

That's it for today!

Stayed tuned for scintillating  Rolling Eyes observations on things like:

- Grocery stores - the good, bad, and the ugly.
- How to rehab a man who walks into a grocery store (or kitchen), and immediately looks like a deer in headlights.
- Mainstream food websites and my take on them.
- Meal Planning vs Reality.
- Why I love grocery shopping.

Peace, love, and recipes,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Well said L. I do the OAMC and it usually lasts me 2-3 months, because I supplement as well.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Well said L.  I do the OAMC and it usually lasts me 2-3 months, because I supplement as well.

I had to look that up, but it sure sounds efficient and smart!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Good morning everyone!

My day starts by ditching emails I know don't apply. I.e., recipes for things I simply won't ever eat again. Today's easiest to delete w/out even opening is a recipe for sauteed kale. Because in my mind if grass were human, its ass would taste like kale.

Mini peeve. Variations on deviled eggs that are weird colors. Save the green eggs for a Dr. Seuss reading, or pair them with green beer on March 17th. But, it's only a mini peeve. I just love eggs so much that it hurts to see them messed with too much.

According to this link: http://www.eatthis.com/most-popular-fast-food/?utm_source=nsltr&utm_medium=email&utm_content=walnuts&utm_campaign=etntNewsletter - about 7% of all the potatoes grown in the US end up as McD's french fries. Aside from the health issues, the lack of taste to me is appalling. Just yuk!

A note about Eat This Not That, the link above. It's a weird website. It's not Paleo, though it acknowledges that Paleo is okay. The emphasis is calories. There are so many contributers, that they often contradict each other. Eg: one article talks about IF and the possible benefits of it, yet a link from that article might take you to an artcle claiming that not eating breakfast can make you fat, or that skipping lunch is 'bad.'

So why read there? Because even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. IOW, once in awhile, I'll find something there that makes me do my own 'research' about something new. Like chia seeds, which I'm sure the whole world knows about except moi.

I'm going to give this site a B-. If you're a PaleoFundamentalist, you might grade it lower. It does give mostly good info on exercise, additives, BPA, etc. And it will choose a more caloric option if that item has fewer additives or more protein. But in the end, it's very mainstream, mostly comparing one prepared food with another. Meh.

Peace, love, and potatoes,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:54 am

The list of fav fast foods in your link above is interesting. There are a number of things on the list from outfits that must be regional to areas I've never lived and has at least one, the White Castle Slider that I just don't like. But #1 is the BK steak palace (aka Burger King) Whopper. When I have a burger craving the double meat whopper with cheese is, imo, unbeatable. The ratio of meat to other stuff is just right for my taste buds.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:55 pm

My primary care doc has copies of the books 'Eat this, not that' in the exam rooms so I've perused while waiting... as you say some tidbits. My opinion was they were more a more interesting read than the People and Us magazines as I'm completely clueless about who the people featured are.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:54 am

^ Not to mention that the mags are probably about 12 months old. And if you are a guy, absolutely nothing of interest, no sports, no biz. Possibly a golf mag or a news rag from last year.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Notes from The Drunken Cavegirl.

I keep pickled ginger around. Tonight, I was in the mood for Bloody Marys. Vodka, Worcestershire Sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce, V8 (that makes it 'healthy,' dontcha know). My eyes land on the pickled ginger. Hmm... I wonder what the juice in that would taste like. I add the juice from the pickled ginger. Just a bit. Free pour, but maybe a tablespoon or two.

Holy crap! There should be a warning on putting this in a drink. The sweet-hot it added to the drink was amazing.

PSA: The addition of this liquid could cause you to chug said Bloody Mary instead of sipping it like a Nice Girl.

Peace, love, and pickled ginger,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:43 pm

You should have not said that.  I have a bottle of premium expensive natural ingredient frou frou Clamato juice on hold waiting for my next Caesar craving...pickled ginger kiuce may well find a home cyclops
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 am

Oh my...pickled ginger in a bloody mary...brilliant!

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 22, 2018 11:53 am

Saw this and thought of you...

https://www.boredpanda.com/realistic-sloth-costume-karoline-hinz/

How could I resist, sloths being my favorite animals on this planet.

It’s a two-layered padded bodysuit, separate movable extended claw-gloves, claw-slippers and of course the head. The face is silicone with punched hair and glass eyes. Give him a hug!

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Oh, where is the "like" button?
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat May 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi hi, Everyone!

I'm having a bit of an issue posting often, but I promise I'll try harder.

I am, however, getting more organized because (2 years later than the rest of the world), I have discovered Bullet Journals (aka BuJo/BuJos) and I really like the concept. Without giving too long an explanation, imagine one book where you put everything from to-do lists to appointments to artwork, budgets, habit trackers, grocery lists, in fact, anything you want. All in one place.

IOW, instead of trying to fit your needs around the standard Day Planner, you design your own. There are tons of ideas for layouts, tools, bound notebooks that people like, etc. I'm using a Composition book from the Dollar Store, but I think I want slightly thicker paper in my next BuJo.

Update on D's inability to negotiate a grocery store. *chuckle* I've created a monster. Now he must compare everything to the penny, "Yes, Dear, I know that if we buy 100 pounds of rice, we'll save a penny a pound, but we're just two people, and 100 pounds of rice takes up half the pantry..." It's so cute to watch him learn.

From the Drunken Cave Girl. Many moons in the past, there was a drink that was popular enough that you could easily get it in bars, called a Bullshot. It was beef bouillion with a shot of vodka. I've done this with beef bone broth, and I love it. If done with chicken bouillion (broth), some smarty pants (i.e., they beat me to it) named it a Cockshot.

So, here's my question: What would you call hot water with a tablespoon of red miso paste stirred in, and a shot of vodka? The GutBuginator? I got nothin,' and so I look to y'all for something catchier.

And just for schitz 'n' giggles, a Rodney Dangerfield quote:

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy, and I said, "I want a second opinion." He said, "Okay, you're ugly, too."

Peace, love, and mellow weekends,
L

ETA: That sloth is adorbs-cubed!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun May 27, 2018 1:08 am

RE: the 100 lbs of rice. My DH actually does that. Which is why we have 300 lbs of rice.

Got nothing on the name. Will think harder.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun May 27, 2018 9:43 am

What would you call hot water with a tablespoon of red miso paste stirred in, and a shot of vodka?
Something to avoid at all costs!

Rice: I remember going down the rice aisle at Costco and seeing those super huge bags of rice. I commented in an email to my kids that I couldn't imagine who would ever buy that much rice at one time. My oldest replied that her SO buys it all the time. He's Filipino and can't eat a meal without a huge serving of rice
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sun May 27, 2018 8:06 pm

RE: the 100 lbs of rice. My DH actually does that. Which is why we have 300 lbs of rice.

LoL! There's a whole tribe of them!

Something to avoid at all costs!

LMAO! D suggested "Miso Loonie." Not a bad name for an alcoholic beverage.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Sun May 27, 2018 9:29 pm

How about Miso Crazy?
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sun May 27, 2018 11:06 pm

Miso Crazy for the win! (We won't tell D.)

Just random thoughts...

Speaking of naming drinks, if you add vodka to Tang, would you name it The Drunken Astronaut? Which leads to The Skinny Drunken Astronaut if one uses sugar-free Tang.

Every day shopping. I recently read the flip-side of Once a Month Cooking. This would mostly work in a large city for a family of one or two. The author budgets $10/day, and buys the stuff for her meal on the way home from work. As she put it (I'm paraphrasing), her meal is dictated not only by budget, but by what her butcher or fishmonger has in stock.

There's a freedom I like about it. Before I ever knew about Paleo/Primal, I lived in Hoboken. There was such a plethora of take-out places, that I would buy my dinner on the way home. My single-gurl fridge at the time held eggs, dog food, and half-n-half.

So, recently, I thought about switching from mayo to nonfat, plain yogurt. I like Nancy's for this. The make-it-or-break-it for this change is one of my favorite meals: Two 4-oz burgers from 93/7 ground beef with (now) one tablespoon yogurt and one tablsp green salsa on each. I tried it and loved ot. Then I tried it on eggs. Yum.

Last night I had those two burgers + a big azz Caprese salad (I use black pepper if I don't have fresh basil in the house).

Tonight was shrimp and mushrooms (cooked with minced garlic in butter and olive oil) over creamy, cheesy polenta.

Neither is strictly Paleo. There's dairy in both dishes. I've no digestive issues w/dairy. And polenta is corn. But I feel good after both of them, and the polenta dish was so good that if I was a prayin' woman, I might have fallen to my knees.

Peace, love, and Skinny Drunken Astronauts,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Drive-by pun. (Miso cheesy.)

Take a slice of pear, slather on some cream cheese, and add a dab of red miso paste.

This will taste sooo good, you'll want to slap Umami!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:55 pm

This looks yummy: Caprese Shakshuka Breakfast Casserole!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 am

Yum....if only I had all the ingredients.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next