The Girl with the Chicken Liver Tatoo

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Girl with the Chicken Liver Tatoo

Post by LoonieJ on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:29 pm

So, I'm out of practice,but I have to start (over) somewhere.

Haiku (gesundheit).

First to touch my lips
In morning's earliest light
Dark, magic... Coffee

Peace, love, and French Roast
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Girl with the Chicken Liver Tatoo

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm

She has wit I've missed
A perspective to be shared
Welcome, Loonie J!

OK, it's weak, but it's late on a Monday afternoon...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Love the user name, too late in my day to consider haiku. I will be back...
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:35 am

Through green branches see
Mighty waterfall crashing
Into deep clear pool.

My first haiku, inspired by you. Smile

Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:46 pm

M2M, Sprout, and Annie,

Hi hi and thanx for stopping by. *hugses*

For today:

I often read about spices or herbs that are good for this condition or that. Reading is good; doing something is better. For me, getting it done quickly and easily, is sometimes the only way it gets done. So:

Potion #3

Cinnamon (1 tsp)
Turmeric (1 tsp)
Ginger (1/2 - 1 tsp - careful if you're sensitive - too much will burn your mouth)
Cayenne (scant pinch)
Gelatin (one 7 gram packet or ~2.5 tsp)
Raw Honey (1 Tblsp)
ACV (1 Tlsp)
Hot filtered water or green tea (6-8oz)

Dissolve first five ingredients in the water or tea.
Add cold filtered water until temperature is ~95 degreesF or less.
Add in honey and ACV.

Drink.

Note: If you occasionally indulge in ice cream, adding the first six ingredients to vanilla (stir thoroughly) is fanfreakintastic.

Peace, love, and potions,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Could this possibly be she who was once uopn a time called Joanie??? bounce
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Loonie, Joanie - it's a possibility. Cool
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Hahahaha, think the sloth gave you away (that and the previous JoanieL)! Welcome back, old friend!! Still in the PNW?
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:21 pm

I sit here alone
Try to get out of my head
I will get there one day
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:16 am

Such clever sleuths in these diaries. Welcome Loonie!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 am

Greensprout wrote:Hahahaha, think the sloth gave you away (that and the previous JoanieL)!  Welcome back, old friend!!  Still in the PNW?

Thank you!  Smile  Still in the PNW. I plan on staying forever. Whatever that means.  Wink

Greensprout wrote:I sit here alone
Try to get out of my head
I will get there one day

I empathize. Hang in there. *hug*

perennialpam wrote:Such clever sleuths in these diaries.  Welcome Loonie!

Hey, Pam, how goes it? Very good to see you.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm in the PNW also! I live in Keizer, Or. Anywhere near you?
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:17 pm

tomi1000 wrote:I'm in the PNW also!  I live in Keizer, Or.  Anywhere near you?

I'm about 70 miles from you. Smile
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

March 15, 2018

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Good morning my friends. (okay, afternoon)

Did everyone have a Happy Pi Day? Yesterday was National Pi Day. Not a typo. It was March 14th or 3/14. And pi = 3.14etc. So, yeah. Many pizza places had specials. Pi/pie.

I read the thread "How long can you live w/o veggies?" Lovebird's post on page 4 of that thread has a link to info about those people who live on an all beef diet. I find it intriguing, but it's so in conflict with my philosophy that there is so much bounty on this planet. It would be very tough for me to live that way.

Pros: Beef tastes really good, and hamburgers are my favorite food. I can afford to eat an all beef diet, though much of it would be ground (see: loves burgers). GF beef is easily found where I live.

Cons: My personal philosophy that we shouldn't ignore the earth's bounty. Asparagus, spinach, artichokes, spaghetti squash, and cauliflower. Tomatoes, citrus, and various berries. Eggs, salmon, various other fish and seafood, goat, chicken, chicken liver, and pork. All the spices I've come to love. I would consider butter and cream to be beef products, but I don't know if they are acceptable on the Carnivore Diet.

Conclusion: If I got to the point where no way of eating made my health optimal, I might go ahead and try a one-food diet. Until then, I'm scarfing on all the critters and plants that I love.

Also, all of the new focus on Keto, Carnivore, etc., put me in mind of Paleobird. Does anyone know what happened to her? Hope all is well with her.

Dinner/supper last night was pork loin sliced into very thin slices and stir-fried with various veggies, over a small amount of rice. My roommate and my bf ate much rice. I live with two carb addicts. For lunch, there's a market that I like because it sells kombucha in 64oz bottles, it has a liquor store attached, and it sells half a roast chicken for $3. While I realize that I can't oversee all that they do to that chicken, it's the easiest lunch ever. Also, the portion is so big, that I have leftovers in case I get the munchies at night after supper.

So, still the drunken cavegirl, though nothing even remotely close to how I drank in NOLA. In fact, I actually went 23 months and two weeks without any alcohol at all. No big. And I relearned the difference between a habit and an addiction. Still mostly low-carbing. Still mostly IFing.

Why "mostly?" Let's just say that a few months ago, I started really thinking about my own mortality. I figure that based on general life-span in my family, I have about 20 years left on the planet. Maybe 25. Since 62 years went very fast, I'm guessing that these last 20-25 are going to zoom by. So, on the rare days when I'm in the mood for a pile of smashed potatoes, I'm going to dose them with tons o' butter, and eat them to my heart's content. The same goes for ice cream, although I'm more prone to overindulging on potatoes than on ice cream. And on the days when my stomach grumbles at 2pm, sometimes I won't wait until supper to eat. Scrambled eggs aren't going to shorten my life-span.

More catching up. Have I mentioned that I live with my bf? Good lord. I really thought that part of my life was over. My last two were 10 years older than I, and I felt like we were from different generations. This one, and let's call him D, is 13 years younger than I, and I don't feel the age difference at all. I don't know if he's just being nice, but he says that he doesn't feel it either. He's batshit crazy, so we're good there. *chuckle* Seriously, we both have to deal with chronic depression, and we deal with our bad days differently, but at least we get each other.

Speaking of Paleobird, I thought of her the other day, also. There's a cool meat store nearby. They sell food grade "dog food," that is really just ground organ meat. So I bought some so that I can make a meat loaf mixing it with regular ground beef and get some organ meat into my darling bf who, unfortunately, has some very pedestrian ideas when it comes to food. (Though sometimes he surprises me - like he's a big sushi fan.) All of this reminded me of Pbird because she was the one who taught me about food grade ground beef that was 60/40. See, in this country, you can't call it people food if the ground beef is fattier that 70/30. It's funny the impressions and memories one has of people one has only known online.

They also sell marrow bones for $1.99/lb. I have to laugh when I think of what people pay to eat these in a restaurant. All I do is roast them, then suck the marrow out with more gusto than a $50 hooker in an alley. (Nice, L, do you kiss your mother with that mouth?) Anyway, I'm so excited that I've found a store with some interesting offerings so close by.

So that's it for today. Gab, gab, blah, blah.

Peace, love, and offal,
L

Cheese Love
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:19 pm

J! It so good to see you back!

I am with you on enjoying the bounty of the earth. Where we live has a bounty of local and tasty foods, and we enjoy it all. I am a little more limited because my food sensitivities but I love going to the raw cheese market to pet all of the goats and cows.

I am so happy at how happy you sound about your boy-toy! lol!

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ramblings

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:22 am

Depression

I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere else, but one of the things I learned since starting therapy is that there are both physical and learned components to depression. This is why the combination of therapy and drugs is ideal for some of us.

For example, let's say that I came from a family that exaggerated every emotion they ever felt. So, my little then-forming brain didn't learn to ever just accept the little aggravations/anxieties/etc. Everything, good or bad, was a big deal. Triggers teaching the brain to react too often, too intensely, too much. Learned behavior.

OTOH, the physical can often be traced if one looks at one's family. So, yeah, one parent hospitalized for a short time after what we used to call a "nervous breakdown." One parent so incapable of feeling joy... It's pretty much a perfect storm.  

So I went on Effexor for a bit. It made me feel okay mentally, but it killed my libido. Dead. Doornail City. That was more depressing than depression for me. Switched to an oldie: Wellbutrin. Orgasms came back, and I felt good mentally. I went from smoking ~7 cigarettes/day to smoking ~3 or 4. Nice side-effect. A year goes by, and I start feeling confused. At my age, that's scary. So I slowly weaned off that and now I only take some anti-anxiety meds as needed. One is mellow (hydroxyzine PAM), the other (clonodine) makes me so non-anxious that I usually fall asleep. I maybe take 4 pills/month (of the hydroxyzine). And I attribute that to:

Dealing with the learned behavior. I lucked into a therapist that listened to me when I said something like, "I don't want to just sit here and talk; I need something concrete. I've been like this since I was a teenager, and I need to learn how to not be like this." She suggested DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy), and just for me, it's been a life-saver. As has yoga, meditation, and walking out in the sun. DBT has its roots in zen. Mindfulness is a biggie.

Am I "cured?" Nah, I doubt I'll ever be cured per se. I have my moments, but I no longer have whole days or whole weeks where it's a struggle to find any happiness. For me that's an incredible improvement.

And now for something completely different...

From here: https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/the-30-day-minimalism-challenge/?utm_content=buffer21c61&utm_medium=pinterest&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=buffer

The Minimalism Challenge in 30 days:

1. Purge your wardrobe
2. Empty the contents of your handbag
3. Throw away worn out socks and underwear
4. Purge your digital devices.
5. Empty your wallet.
6. Write a list of personality traits that you admire in others
7. Write a list of personality traits that you admire in yourself
8. Journal for 20 minutes
9. Donate books you will never read again.
10. Go without make up for a day
11. Meditate
12. Spend time with loved ones…without your phone
13. Make a gratitude log
14. Evaluate your last five purchases
15. Stay offline for a day
16. Don’t spend money for 24 hours
17. Don’t complain all day
18. Go out without your phone
19. Venture outdoors
20. Create a relaxing space
21. Re-evaluate your to do list
22. De-clutter your storage
23. Empty you junk drawer
24. Turn off notifications
25. Batch cook your meals
26. Get all your errands done today
27. Eliminate a toxic relationship
28. Clear out your make up collection
29. Say no to something you don’t want to do
30. Re-purge your wardrobe

Another weird segue...

A product I like: The Ginger People (brand) Organic Ginger Spread. Ingredients: organic ginger, organic cane sugar, citric acid. 4grams sugar per tsp. This stuff is awesome. You just use a little. Be careful if you can stand the heat because that's the only thing that keeps me from spreading or adding it to everything.

Once upon a time, I thought I was being oh-so-clever by inventing a cocktail called, "Buch & Hooch," which would be kombucha and whatever alcohol the patron/guest wanted. Well, I'm not the only one. I passed by a little eatery called Vanilla Jill's, and lo-and-behold, on their cocktail menu was "Buch & Hooch."

Wondering if the alcohol would ruin the good gutbuggy food of the kombucha, I googled. Turns out that the bacteria die off slowly, so it's a mix-and-drink cocktail, rather than a make-ahead in batches. The bf, being a smartass like myself suggested "Komhoocha." I like him - he keeps up.

And that is plenty for one day. Whew!

Peace, Love, and Komhoocha,
L
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:25 am

V, it's good to be back. Boy-toy, indeed.

LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:55 am

You are back and up to your normal speed with interesting posts and info!

Guess what? I screwed up and purchased what I thought was pickled herring because the jar looking identical to past grabs. Well, it is herring in horseradish sauce. I do not like it and will be throwing $6 down the drain soon. I don't think even the feral cats will eat it.

Here's to getting out those readers when you are at the store as a pain in the a** is it.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:43 am

Love that 30 day challenge.

Something l learned with my nearly year long W30. Grains make me depressed. I’ve had issues do to my life. My journal bringing has a summary. But, ditching grains was the best thing I ever did for my health. Not sure you eat any, but suggesting that maybe something you do eat also plays into your moods. I am no way saying meds are unnecessary, just suggesting another possible avenue to explore.

Sounds like a an awesome drink. I have some booch in the fridge I’ll have to add a little hooch and see. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:50 pm

perennialpam wrote:You are back and up to your normal speed with interesting posts and info!

Guess what?  I screwed up and purchased what I thought was pickled herring because the jar looking identical to past grabs.  Well, it is herring in horseradish sauce.  I do not like it and will be throwing $6 down the drain soon.  I don't think even the feral cats will eat it.  

Here's to getting out those readers when you are at the store as a pain in the a** is it.

Pam,

Thank you for the kind words. Smile

Bummer on the pickled herring. Razz The only other thing I can think of other than throwing it away would be to rinse it off in a colander, then return it to a jar of sour cream or watered-down vinegar.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Love that 30 day challenge.

Something l learned with my nearly year long W30.  Grains make me depressed.  I’ve had issues do to my life.  My journal bringing has a summary.  But, ditching grains was the best thing I ever did for my health.  Not sure you eat any, but suggesting that maybe something you do eat also plays into your moods.  I am no way saying meds are unnecessary, just suggesting another possible avenue to explore.

Sounds like a an awesome drink.  I have some booch in the fridge I’ll have to add a little hooch and see. Smile

Hi hi, NM,

Let's say that I avoid grains. Occasionally I make a sandwich because I love them. But I do mean occasionally. I'm taking so few meds these days, that I'm pretty okay with it.

I agree that changing one's diet can change one's whole life!

How was the cocktail?
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Have to make that cocktail tonight I forgot yesterday.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Ah yes, booch & hooch - I discovered that accidentally some time ago. Kombucha is a killer mixer for so many spirits. I haven't tried it with tequila, but I'll bet it's worthwhile.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Why "mostly?" Let's just say that a few months ago, I started really thinking about my own mortality. I figure that based on general life-span in my family, I have about 20 years left on the planet. Maybe 25. Since 62 years went very fast, I'm guessing that these last 20-25 are going to zoom by. So, on the rare days when I'm in the mood for a pile of smashed potatoes, I'm going to dose them with tons o' butter, and eat them to my heart's content. The same goes for ice cream, although I'm more prone to overindulging on potatoes than on ice cream. And on the days when my stomach grumbles at 2pm, sometimes I won't wait until supper to eat. Scrambled eggs aren't going to shorten my life-span.

I love this philosophy. And I totally agree with it. I also live by the mantra of, "No one lies on their death bed and wishes they ate less cake". Sure, we have to play the long game so health and nutrition are an absolute must if we want to live a good life and not be decrepit at 60. But there also has to be time for fun and pleasure. So, yes, once in a while you just have to eat the mashed potatoes with butter...lots and lots of butter!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:22 pm

This^^^
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content