Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An observation and the obesity epidemic

4 posters

Go down

An observation and the obesity epidemic Empty An observation and the obesity epidemic

Post by srinath_69 Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 pm

I hit the buffet @ the college cafetaria.
They had a grill station, a carving station and I think a serving station. The grill had salmon and chicken, and I ate copious quantity of salmon and very little else and of course there was turkey @ the carving station and the serving station which was mostly unmanned due to them being short staffed was BBQ pork of which I had a little.

The rest of it, the 3 types of potatoes, 2 types of corn various condiments and soups and salad dressings as well as real veggies like spinach and broccoli and what not, breads, breaded and fried chicken, cakes, ice cream, soda etc etc was all open without anyone manning them. Serve yourself as much as you like.

So to get anything ketogenic or healthy - you were to wait in line in the middle of a milling crowd of students doing random things to each other and getting other things and ask a person who TBH @ the grill was rationing it out due to the line, most of which was not even for the salmon. Took me 4 trips to get the 9-10 pieces of salmon I ate, and honestly I was still wanting more, though not really hungry by then. About right for a near 36hr fast.

But, this almost single handedly explains the obesity epidemic among the college going crowd. And I don't see them being able to reverse themselves out of the freshman 15 (or has it been inflation - no pun intended adjusted to 25 now)

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

An observation and the obesity epidemic Empty Re: An observation and the obesity epidemic

Post by Rig D Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Or perhaps is says that the youth have a clue on what they should be eating, that's why they had people dishing out portions of the good stuff. From my own experience, the Freshman 15 was more a result of a drastic reduction in physical movement, becoming a dorm nerd after being a high school jock was a real shock to the system.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

An observation and the obesity epidemic Empty Re: An observation and the obesity epidemic

Post by sharperhawk Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Much of the obesity epidemic can be explained by the falling price of food, as well as the reduced work required to cook it. All-you-can-eat buffets are an extreme case in point. The limit of stomach expansion seems to be the only restraint for many people in such situations.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

An observation and the obesity epidemic Empty Maybe - or not

Post by srinath_69 Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Rig D wrote:Or perhaps is says that the youth have a clue on what they should be eating, that's why they had people dishing out portions of the good stuff.  From my own experience, the Freshman 15 was more a result of a drastic reduction in physical movement, becoming a dorm nerd after being a high school jock was a real shock to the system.

The people were eating mostly terrible food. if they wanted to put a check on quantity the people were getting - I'd have put corn and potatoes (all 3 kinds) behind the counter and handed out like rations. No idea, I was just venting some frustration too, I had to wait in line 4 times for the salmon I ate. But with some butter on it, it was awesome. Worth the wait, and piping hot, it soaked up the butter well.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:24 pm

IOW, Srinath, despite your grumbling, it is/was still possible to make decent food choices from all that was offered. So the beef (OK, complaint) was with the choices college kids were making. That suggests, to me, that nutrition should be taught from infancy, and one hopes that a lifelong adherence to generally good eating will safeguard them. But kids, even well-taught ones, are making their own choices and reaping the consequences. As G.B.Shaw mourned -too bad youth is wasted on the young! Wink

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:23 am

It was an all you can eat on french fries, corn and bread, and an all you can wait on salmon, turkey and pork the way they set it up.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Marketing, m'boy, marketing. If you aren't too impatient, gradually you can fill up on the good stuff. Laughing

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Paysan wrote:Marketing, m'boy, marketing. If you aren't too impatient, gradually you can fill up on the good stuff. Laughing

By the time I got salmon to my fill, the cheesecake was all gone. - well I got 2 slices, and was trying to get a third. I leave the crust out, so just the cheese and sugar for me.
Of course the spongecake, the brownies, the pie, the ice cream etc etc was all around, and I didn't touch any of it.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:47 pm

I go to a buffet not to over eat, but to not eat all the crap they throw onto your plate @ a non buffet. LOL, my favorite saying for my WOE.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down