Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is The Primal Movement Dying?

+8
Meant2Move
Rig D
Rocky07
Narrowminded
Annieh
Nightly Orange
sharperhawk
ONTARIO
12 posters

Go down

Is The Primal Movement Dying? Empty Is The Primal Movement Dying?

Post by ONTARIO Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 pm

I noticed about a year ago that the transformation stories that are always up on Fridays at MDA had changed. They used to be stories with before and after pics of fairly obese people who got lean through the PB. Then it started to change and there were folks who were otherwise fit but reversed MS or some other ailment. Then the stories became even less transformational. Today (and there have been a few of these in the past year) there is no transformation story at all. Do you think MDA is finding it difficult to find PB success stories? Are fewer people following the lifestyle, hence fewer stories?

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Is The Primal Movement Dying? Empty Re: Is The Primal Movement Dying?

Post by sharperhawk Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:59 pm

The MDA blog has been putting out two posts per day for a while. One is up. I imagine that a second post will come, and it will be the success story.

I think that paleo/primal has peaked. The main source of interest is weight loss, and for most people, paleo is just as difficult as any other method. So the masses have moved on to the next thing. Hence the focus on keto. As if that's easy.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 pm

I don't think it's dying, rather, it's now settling into a calmer and more comfortable adulthood. The peak of Primal/paleo's popularity wasn't sustainable; it was only that enormously popular because the masses had fixed on it as the Next Big Thing, but now that it's no longer the "in" fad, people have drifted away to something else.

But there will always be a core group now who follow the principles of the diet and lifestyle, as well as a regular influx of newbies who try it and like it. Results are hard to argue with, so I don't see paleo going extinct anytime soon.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:09 pm

sharperhawk wrote:for most people, paleo is just as difficult as any other method.
I've never understood why this should be. It is the simplest thing I ever came across, AND it worked.
Keto is just extreme, IMO.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Yes Keto is hot right now, I see articles all over the place, but then again Jan was littered with W30 articles too and W30 is basically strict Paleo.

People see Primal as hard because they cannot imagine giving up their bread, cereal etc. The biggest thing I hear is “then what do you eat”.

We’ve had people make us meals due to DH and when I say gluten-free as these are church people, who if you said grain free they’d never do anything. Well they cannot think in those terms. When a good old fashion, meat, veg and potato would fit the bill nicely.

I too think some saw it as a trend. I think it will be here, just maybe not in the news as much

And as far as MDA, Mark is focused on Keto right now and the forum is dead. I’d venture to guess many of the transformation stories were from those tha frequented the forum, whether or not they posted there.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky07 Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:25 am

ONTARIO wrote:I noticed about a year ago that the transformation stories that are always up on Fridays at MDA had changed. They used to be stories with before and after pics of fairly obese people who got lean through the PB. Then it started to change and there were folks who were otherwise fit but reversed MS or some other ailment. Then the stories became even less transformational. Today (and there have been a few of these in the past year) there is no transformation story at all. Do you think MDA is finding it difficult to find PB success stories? Are fewer people following the lifestyle, hence fewer stories?

I would say success stories have all but dried up. So much so, Mark is offering bribes to get one.

Rocky07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:25 am

I also think that MDA offering gifts for success stories is likely a result in the recent direction taken by the site. I don't know, but I can't believe their almost successful effort in killing the forum could possibly have helped their site, and the recent Keto direction would seem to me to be narrowing their potential audience also.

My casual observation is that out in public, paleo is more accepted today as a dieting option than ever before. But I also think there are many, like me, who found success with paleo/primal and don't see any reason to step all the way to a keto program. I know I've found myself not reading through many of Mark's daily keto blog posts and skipping through the recent downloads of the Primal Blueprint and Primal Endurance podcasts which have also pretty much "gone keto".
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 pm

I find the Keto push disappointing and off-putting, but what really pushed me away from most things MDA was all the marketing and hype regarding their products, stores, and then restaurants. It became all about marketing and promotion rather than a healthy lifestyle option. As with Atkins, I was half expecting an energy bar - non-food food... Yikes!

I think/hope that there are still many out in the world who know about the essential basics and find value in living healthfully and by eating real food.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:30 am

Meant2Move wrote:I think/hope that there are still many out in the world who know about the essential basics and find value in living healthfully and by eating real food.

This. ^^ Thanks M2M!

There is value in the keto approach, but the constant push for it is annoying. Most people don't even try Primal/Paleo first and jump head first into keto without even knowing the basics of it, which is why I linked to the keto summit first and foremost, as so many mistakes are being made without being aware of the consequences...

There was only 1 positive response to the blogpost that offered goodies for a success story so far... then again the success stories that were posted here are about losing weight through fasting and undereating. As entertaining and informative as they may be, that's not my main focus at all.

Real food for the win. Health comes first. Always.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 am

Agree with both of the last two posts. With MDA expanding into restaurants, grocery store food items, etc I have it in the back of my mind that Mark is soon going to hit 65 and may have an eye on the "cash out" option with his businesses. If they are successful in the next year or two with all the related business ventures, how ugly would it be to see them being acquired by maybe Kelloggs or Nestle?

My youngest daughter works for Bob's Red Mill in Oregon. BRM has moved to make the company employee owned as Bob is well into his 80's and is pretty old to be as active in the company as he is. I'm not sure where the employee owned stuff stands, but I've been warning her for a while to keep her eye peeled for signs of them being acquired by some major food operation. I think BRM would be a choice plum to add to some mega-food company's portfolio. I went through a transition of working for a family/closely held corporation being acquired by a big outfit and the changes were, at best ugly.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 pm

If not the “cash out” at least a revenue stream to supplement any other retirement he may have. May leave the cash out to whomever inherits his estate
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Nightly Orange wrote:I don't think it's dying, rather, it's now settling into a calmer and more comfortable adulthood. The peak of Primal/paleo's popularity wasn't sustainable; it was only that enormously popular because the masses had fixed on it as the Next Big Thing, but now that it's no longer the "in" fad, people have drifted away to something else.

But there will always be a core group now who follow the principles of the diet and lifestyle, as well as a regular influx of newbies who try it and like it. Results are hard to argue with, so I don't see paleo going extinct anytime soon.

I agree.
I know many people that 4-6 years ago were insane about paleo or primal and have died off. Doesn't help there are educated morons that call things like healthy eating "unsustainable", "expensive", "limiting", and promote some fad diet with their $6.00 "health" bars with a celebrity swearing they lost 10 pounds in 2 days. Crazy.
I don't consider this unsustainable, expensive, or limiting unless you're doing some hard-ass paleo for improving serious health problems or doing it for maximum fat burning/cutting a 6 pack in a short period of time.
I don't follow Paleo but I'm much more Primal (I love me some fruit, some raw dairy, and some carbs as needed) and I don't find it limiting or expensive at all. Buying 3 24 packs of Pepsi and bags and boxes of chips and cookies is expensive...

We consider ourselves part of that core group because primal is fluid. It focuses on eating real food, and covers WAY more than diet alone (exercise, fresh air, sunshine, moving around, playing and not being stressed 24 hours a day.) If someone wants to ditch that for the next tabloid crash diet I say "poor bastards", and eat my bacon.

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:10 pm

I always kept in mind that Paleo was a philosophy, while Primal was a brand. So, the brand might be dying, but some of us learned* stuff that makes so much sense, that we'll eat (and move) this way, even if the brand changes or dies.

We also learned how to learn re: "research."
LoonieJ
LoonieJ

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:01 am

Awhile back Richard Nokaly published a bar graph showing Google search results for paleo over the last decade. Indeed, it peaked a few years ago.

BTW, have you been over to freetheanimal lately? Wow, total whack job, off the rails. Angry at everyone who doesn't agree with his radical politics, even more defamation and cursing than his old norm. I even rated a mention as the worst of the worst. ("pzo" is my posting name.) He should have stuck to food and health issues, where he was inquisitive and often brilliant.

Anyway, while I'm disappointed in Mark's directions, I certainly approve of him doing what he wants. Especially, since he changed so many lives for the better. I doubt he can sell the MDA/Primal brand to anyone other than an acolyte, it's way too much about Mark as leader.

As to BRM and employee ownership, my observations over the years show that there are two rough categories. One is a total tax dodging scam that allows a greedy owner with a good accountant to bring home more money and a capital source while looking good. The other is, fortunately, legit. And probably what Bob is looking at.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:36 am

OTB, my younger daughter has had a fair amount of exposure to Bob at BRM, up to being able to arrange for us to meet him for breakfast when we visited in Oregon. She seems to be a pretty good judge of character and is solidly in his corner. Bob comes across as a very legit, very honest guy. He's had great success with BRM and it seems that he's trying to pass along a lot of that success to the people who make it happen. I'm "all in" for him, and apparently Oregon has some unusual laws that dictate what happens with an outfit that goes "employee owned" that make its acquisition by an outside firm more difficult.

Whether BRM can survive his eventual departure from the company remains to be seen. I understand that Bob has backed out of most major decision making, but he's still the face of the outfit. My personal experience in two larger, family controlled outfits certainly make me skeptical of well they can continue to grow and be successful after his leaving.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 am

Nikoley has always been a volatile character. He occasionally had an interesting post, but it's all cryptocurrency and right-wing extremism recently.

Anthony Colpo is a similar case. He had some interesting blog posts, but you'd have to sift through pages of invective against the current enemy-of-the-month to get a few nuggets. A while ago he put most of his site behind a paywall. I think he was just sick of interacting with people who annoyed him. I doubt that he has many subscribers.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:38 am

Richard's wife suggested that he do a paywall of sorts, so he started something up on Patreon. No idea if it has worked for him.

A couple of years ago I decided to not honor him with page views as he is such a boor and a jerk. A.k.a., asshole. But I honestly missed his intellect and willingness to look at things regardless of where they land. And then he just got worse and worse in his intolerance and vehemence to those he disagrees with.

Like most extremists, he can't see his hypocrisy on many matters. Like a landlord I had once that owned 20 rental properties told me he hated paying taxes...........while both he and his wife worked for the city! Richard's wife Bea recently retired from teaching, one of those terrible gummint jobs that no one else should have. And I would guess he took full advantage of things like her health insurance and stable, regulated retirement plans while he bitcoined away.

I know of Colpo but never followed him.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down