Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Rig D on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:48 am

Yes, Meeshugun is living up to the TV commentators' pre-tourney hype that they would make a deep run. Victor Valiant's crew are certainly helping to mess up my West bracket. They should have their hands full with Tex A&M who looked very, very strong in demolishing UNC. I've never seen UNC get manhandled like that in prior years. Lots of favorites have been beaten, and #16 UMBC lost to K-State in a valiant effort, but they couldn't buy a shot, while vs VA in the opening game they couldn't miss.  It appears that Nevada is this years miracle team, they've won two games where they were way out of contention early. Y'day's comeback from being down 22 to Cincinnati was just ridiculous.

My ACC contingent is at  4, Fl State had a huge comeback to beat Xavier. Clemson looked good in their win, but faces Kansas next. I picked Kansas to win it all, but will be rooting for Clemson. And they are in the same bracket with ACC schools Syracuse and Doook, who play each other.  The SW Ohio contingent, Xavier, Cincinnati, and Wright State are all gone, as well as THE Ohio State U.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:15 am

Week 7 Update  Weight: 248 Down .5
Finally a down week. Not much, but at least in the right direction and I feel like I may have finally turned the corner. I've opted to “stay the course” with what I'm doing, I think I'm pretty much on track, so think I'll simply give it more time. I am paying more attention to the “eat when hungry” aspect, I found I was falling back to eating at prescribed times, not when the body demanded action.

Winter keeps hanging in there. We had about 3 inches of snow earlier this week, supposed to get more overnight tonight. I'm definitely ready for spring, the warmer weather is so much more conducive to getting outside and upping my walking.  Cold weather is really tough for a guy like me born, raised, and loves the deep south and feel like a “furriner” in this colder climate.

My supposedly good knee continues to bother me, I'm debating with what to do with it.  Another knee replacement looks like it is in the cards, while my right knee replacement went well last year, I'm not anxious to go through another round of long, tedious recovery.

NCAA basketball tournament has been interesting. We're down to 8 teams. Even in hindsight, I doubt that many people would have picked these 2 pairings for the Elite 8 round: K-State vs Loyola, Fl State vs Mich. I had none of these teams picked to get this far, so I'll be rooting for Loyola to continue to be Cinderella, and Fl. State, strictly 'cause they are ACC.   A whole lot more people were likely to have picked the other half of the bracket: Villanova vs Tex Tech and Kansas vs Duke. My bracket calls for Villanova and Kansas to advance, but I'll be cheering for Duke (ACC)  and Tex Tech. Tech simply because they aren't Michigan. I am admittedly highly biased against Michigan, due to my three+ years living/working in Deeetroit and having a lot of exposure to UM and their fan base.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Congrats on the loss this week Rig. Happy t hear you may have found the culprit.

Eating based on hunger vs time is tough, esp when you’ve spent most of your life eating based on time. I struggle myself with that aspect.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:15 am

Sounds like a decision is in the making. Sorry about your "good" knee.

Glad you kept up your effort to lose weight. I need to follow your path but when things slow down....I make the wrong decisions so unlike you.

Sad you feel that way about UM and AA. I only watch championship games as something to do. I'm not a bad fan or obnoxious but I know some who are.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 am

Michigan played a tough game vs Fl State and won. Next up is to see if they can stop the momentum of Loyola and their improbable run.
PP: To be fair, my exposure to UM and it's fan base is mostly football related, and came during the hey-day of Bo Schembechler's tenure as coach. I found the fans truly arrogant and obnoxious. I lived there when the Big-10 began allowing their teams to go to other bowl games besides the Rose. The first year, UM went to the Gator bowl and played North Carolina. The common reaction in/around Detroit (including the newspapers) was that it was beneath the dignity of the school to participate in such a second-tier game. I was absolutely tickled when UNC handily won the game.  

Little things like UM's game with Tex A&M stand out for me. UM was up by around 20 with 30 seconds left when UM rebounded and passed the ball to a wide open guy in 3 point land. Instead of holding the ball and letting the clock run down to near 0, he took the shot and made it. Maybe just me, but why do this?

I think that all colleges with super-winning sports programs need to have about 3 or 4 years in a row when they really stink, just to keep the fans in line. My big sport is football and currently, 'Bama is way over due, but probably will not happen until Saban retires as coach. In the recent past, we've had USC, Texas, Notre Dame all go through some big down years.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:59 pm

I agree with you on the football thing. I don't care too much about college but we do watch a lot of both college and pro. Living in Oregon - we have the Ducks and the Beavers. The Ducks have had an outstanding team for years - and the Beavers (our fav) have pretty much sucked eggs for years! A nice turn around would be lovely! Since Chip Kelly moved on to the pro's the Ducks have been struggling, and we are kinda loving it! Wink Now he's back to the college level. He should have stayed with the Ducks.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:29 am

Attending these games (football or basketball) is not within my budget. March Madness allows me to watch as teams progress and I like that.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:53 am

Tomi, I have two daughters living in Oregon, one's guy is an OU alum so they closely follow Oregon, and I've paid more attention to Oregon since she's been out there.  Oregon did great under Chip Kelly and they may return to near that level with their new coach. IMO, the biggest fail with them is their uniforms, OMG, in some games I don't see how the opponents can play, because of the glare coming off those truly ugly costumes. I have expected Oregon State to do well under Mike Leach, he's an excellent offense guy.

PP: That's why TV was invented! For a few years post graduating, I had season tix to Ga. Tech's games, 4th row, upper deck, near the 40 yard line, and a great view. But I like watching the games on the tube better. You don't get the real atmosphere and emotional content, but you can watch a heck of a lot more of what's happening on the field of play and also get to see replays. Much better, IMO

The Final 4 is set. Michigan, Loyola, Kansas, Villanova. 3 blue blood programs and an upstart, and I have no "dog in the hunt." Gotta root for the huge underdog, Loyola. The very first college B-ball game I ever watched was the very exciting 1963 Loyola v Cincinnati National Championship, when Loyola won in a very close game.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Congrats on the downward trend. I hope it continues. It is challenging to tune into hunger rather than time/habit. I find too that finding that sweet spot in terms of when to stop eating can be hard if the food is good.

If the good leg is not 'bone on bone', you might look into physical therapy exercises for ensuring the muscles that work the tendons that work the knee are firing appropriately. Perhaps you can get some pain relief without the surgery for a time.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:02 am

Week 8 Update  Weight: 248 No Change
March Monthly Update

Another flat week, an almost flat month. So, some small progress, certainly not inspiring but at least the changes are in the right direction.

I do an early AM weight check each day, but only report it once a week. So this week, I actually got to 247 on Tuesday, then back slid through the rest of the week. This seems to be an all too familiar pattern so far.

Weather: We had pretty much non-stop rain this week, briefly interspersed with a few hours of sun. only one day we could claim as sunny, Otherwise typical SW Ohio “Cloudy”.  Ralph the weather dude has us scheduled for 1 to 2 inches of snow overnight tonight. He's done a poor job in targeting us so far, hope he misses again. The temp is not supposed to be very cold, so it should be all gone sometime Tues. PM.  I am so ready for a steady diet of days of +65F, with mostly sunny skies. Not sure I'll get it any time soon.

NCAA basketball: Down to Villanova V Michigan on Monday for the championship. I'll watch the game on Monday but really don't care who wins, but having watched both teams in the tournament I don't see much way for Michigan to pull it out. If 'Nova plays anywhere close to how they played vs Kansas, they should cruise to a win. But who knows – that's why they play the game.

Both my daughters in Oregon are in new living places. My older daughter K and her guy bought a home, nothing like being a first time homeowner in order to find every hardware store in the area.  My younger daughter L and her guy are out of an apartment complex and into a duplex, more room, less “neighbor.”  All is good.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:26 am

Rig, I understand your frustration, but stick with it, it will happen. And soon we should get those 65 days and making walking outdoors much more doable.

Don’t know about. You, but we got the 2” predicted for last night. We need spring in this part of the country.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:15 am

Agree, Spring is way overdue. We got about 1 inch of the white stuff, on the low side of the predictions. The good thing is the ground temp was up enough that it all melted from the roads, sidewalks, and driveways. I really, really didn't want to pull ye olde snow shovel out for another round.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:41 am

We are floating away. Y'day was rain all day. This morning I woke up to the first of the season: a huge thunderclap, just about levitated me out of the sack. Today we have temps ranging from 53 (now) up to near 70. To go with the warmer temps we have thunderstorms on the menu until 1 PM, tapering off to scattered/isolated T-storms till 5 PM, then reversing back to straight T-storms the rest of the day accompanied with wind warnings.

Villanova won the Nat'l Champ game. I did not think that either team was on its A game, but 'Nova looked to be the better team, widening their 9 point margin at the half up to 15-18 point margin shortly after the half and maintaining it to the end. A pretty convincing win.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 am

I'm guessing rain is better than snow. Good for Villanova.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm sorry that your weight loss progress has been slow, but agree with NM, stay the course. It takes time for your body to adjust to the new scheme, our bodies like homeostasis and are remarkably good at maintaining weight. Keep those insulin levels nice and low and your body will start to respond.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:01 pm

NM, M2M, I agree with you both. I think things may continue to drift for awhile, but I'm feeling a good bit better physically. If this #$&* precipitation would kindly just quit, it would be a big +.

Pedidoc, rain is infinitely preferable to snow. I've never done an automotive 360 spin on the interstate at 60 mph on rain, but I have done so on snow & ice. I've also never strained my back shoveling the rain off the sidewalk. But right now I think I'd sink ankle deep in my front yard if I were to walk across it.

We live near the high elevation point around us, so haven't had any real issues with all the water, unlike the 16" downpour we had one day when we lived near Ft Lauderdale. We had been having a drought and when it started, the powers that be closed off all the canals so the water would sink in rather than drain to the Atlantic. We lived about 10 miles inland and at a whopping 7' elevation. The water in the street got deep enough for people to drive their boats up and down it. It got to within about 5 feet of our foundation, and we had a lot of unusual critters in the yard for the next week or so. Not a big fan of too much rain.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Rig, I agree, it’s too wet. The T-storms are here now and I have a lap full of fur. Poor little guy is scared of all the noise. Sure wish I could ship the moisture to M2M

And I also agree, walking would be much easier outside.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 am

I awoke to a light snow this morning and now that it is light---the yard is full! It is all my fault for putting away the shovel and roof rake in what I considered a final move. haha

I wish I was you and stayed the course so many times in my past. Keep your momentum going, you will not be sorry Rig.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:27 am

Week 9 Update  Weight: 247.5 Down 0.5
Modest progress this week. Nothing really to report on the food front, I had one bad day. My wife invited my son and grandsons over for an Easter celebration last Sunday and of course she baked a cake. They ate a good bit, took some with them when they left, but the remaining section just demanded to be eaten.

Bah humbug again on the weather. We had snow again Friday night, just enough to turn the lawns white, not enough to overcome the warmer ground temps, so no accumulation on roads or sidewalks. It was all melted off the ground by noon. Finally seems like the snow shovel is retired for the season. It's about time. Some warmer temps are coming this week, we are scheduled to finally get to 70 on Thursday.

Medical update: I go in on 4/19 for the skin doc to do whatever is necessary to ensure the skin cancer on my nose is truly gone. I need to schedule the colonoscopy I mentioned in my Wk 5 post, will do so for later April. And I'm going to have to go see the knee surgeon. My left knee is rapidly going down hill. I'm really not wanting to do another knee replacement, but it seems to be something I'm not going to be able to postpone, I'm having pretty bad pain on a continuing basis, and it is continuously stiff and inflexible. The pain is really bad if I get out and move a lot on it. I'm not able to get my walking in the way I want, I'm paying a high pain price after about 20 minutes of walking and a lot of pain the rest of the day once I stop.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 am

Rig we too had that snow Friday into Sat morning. It’s sunny today, but a few flakes have fluttered around. Can’t wait for the end of the week and some true Spring temps.

Good news on your movement downward, however slow it may be going.

So sorry about the other knee. The good news is, you’ve been through it once and you know what to expect as well as knowing the type you chose was a good one. I know you’ll do fine, even though it’s discouraging. How does the airdyne feel on the bad knee? Maybe sub that in for a while? That said, I miss the outdoor walks as well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:51 am

RigD -- in the long run you will be happy to start making your operation plans. Surgeons always seem very difficult to get an appointment with. Good to start now.

My shovel was put away 2 weeks back. I was too lazy to get it back out for the deck/steps.

Have a good day.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 am

Thank you ladies.
We had snow again last night, another light dusting. By weekend, supposed to in low 70's. Hoping for that.

I had my annual "spring envy day" by watching a little bit of the Masters Golf tourney. Augusta is close to my old stomping grounds in Atlanta and it pains me to compare Ohio's supposed scenery this time of year to that in Georgia, with all the green and flowers. I never appreciated how pretty that part of the country is when we lived down there. My wife is much the same, when we were first married she was a large business customer rep for the phone co. and heard people from other areas talking about how pretty Atlanta was. She was born/raised in Atlanta so basically had nothing to compare it to. Ha, then we moved to Deee-troit.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:26 am

I watched a little golf myself and found I was cheering on Reed on Saturday -- probably only because he was ahead. then when I tuned in at the last minute yesterday saw his last putt (two actually) and saw he won. Very nice.

My first solo camp was at Hocking Hills, Ohio. It is beautful there with loads of hiking places but I have to admit the lake nearby was muddy looking and I realized how much I missed my Lake Michigan.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:38 am

I agree that the Hocking Hills area is very pretty. I'm quite partial to being in very hilly country, and we don't have much of that in the Dayton area. That is one of the attractions for me in the northern part of Georgia, lots of forested hilly terrain and mountain foothills as you go further north, in addition to generally warmer weather. I had 2 of my kids attend college in/near Hocking Hills so had opportunities to go through the area a few times. In our time in Deee-troit, we didn't have much chance to visit Lake Michigan and find your attraction to it to be interesting.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:40 am

Lake MI is only 2-2.5 hrs away. An easy day trip. From Detroit would make it a longer deal.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next