Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Rig D on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:21 am

^ I started the baseball with my youth experience. While on baseball, I'll add this one from my early 20's and is the background on my getting my right knee replaced last year: I had injured my right knee playing intramural college football when a guy was blocked and fell on the outside of my right knee. It felt odd afterwards, kind of loose, and I lost a tad of flexibility in it. I went to the college infirmary and, for once, they didn't diagnose it as mononucleosis, but they didn't offer any help either. Anyway, a couple of years after graduating I was playing in a city league slow pitch softball game and got caught in a rundown between first and second. When I tried to reverse direction, the knee went out completely. It sounded like a cherry bomb going off and my wife said she heard the pop from the third base stands. It was loud enough that the 2nd baseman who was chasing me was startled and threw the ball about 20 ft over the first baseman's head. I managed to hop on one leg to second, called time and left the game with the knee locked at about 60 degrees. Couldn't bend it forward or back. Soon after, had surgery on it to remove cartilage.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 am

Ouch
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Oh, that story made me cringe! Sheesh!

I've had a piece of pencil lead in my leg since 2nd grade... so 1970 I guess. I've always figured it was inert since in reality was was probably graphite, not lead. Right??? I'm surprised the doc removed yours although since he was in the area doing other work he probably couldn't resist.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:47 am

Oh my! I cannot imagine dealing with a wrecked knee. Unfortunate, having to deal with the aftermath so many years after.

In animation, when everything was hand drawn, we wound up comparing dots on the hand opposite the drawing one at some point. The speed needed to finish the scenes made these pencil stabbed blue freckle tattoos inevitable.

Well, progress, if slow, is still good. I find I need at least a week to recover from more intense movement and always come back stronger. No doubt will be same for you. I any case, much awesome changes still happen from nutrition alone. Keep on it, Mr Rig.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:57 am

M2M, I agree about it being graphite and inert. My two have never caused any issues. I specifically asked the dermatologist to remove it since he was "in the area" so to to speak. The stitches come out tomorrow. It looked like a fairly small mole, but had a blue-gray appearance. I've had various friends & family over the years ask why I didn't get it taken out since it was highly visible on my cheek. I just never found the round tuit. Now the one in my arm seems to very gradually being absorbed. It is distinctly smaller today than it was 20 yrs ago and is now flush with the surrounding skin.Today it is not obviously there, even I have to take a close looks to pick it out, you would miss it on a casual observation.

HFF, the messed up knee has always been a nuisance and its impact on my athletic "career" was severe. Elsewhere I've listed the things I had to give up over the years because of it, the hardest to lose was racquetball, a sport I really liked and where I was able to compete at a high level. With the new knee, I'm not quite as flexible as I'd like, but no pain, no matter what. A huge improvement.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Rig D wrote:With the new knee, I'm not quite as flexible as I'd like, but no pain, no matter what. A huge improvement.

This is excellent news. The art and science of knee replacements must have come a long way. I've know a number of people who had them done many years ago and who complained of ongoing pain.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Indeed, it has. My knee was made by Conformis, and I highly recommend them. At the time of my surgery I believe they were the leader in "high tech" knees. Their process consists of taking a CT scan of your lower body, then they go through a 3D imaging and custom fabrication process of the knee joint to come as close as possible to duplicating the original function of the current knee and ensuring exact sizing and conforming to the patient's anatomy. On delivery, the "box" contains the knee joint and all the tools and fixtures the surgeon needs to perform the surgery. All he has to do is show up and start work.

My surgeon has used the Conformis knee for a number of years and has done well over 500 knees with it, so he's got the practical side down.

It takes a little longer to get the joint made (usually 6-8 weeks) rather than using an "off the shelf" unit. Conformis claims, my surgeon agrees, and I believe 'em that using their knee gives a better, shorter recovery process and better long term patient satisfaction. They are certainly worth checking out if you know anyone who is contemplating knee replacement surgery. Conformis.com has a lot of info and has a facility to let you search for a surgeon in your area who is using the product.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Cool. Thanks!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:55 pm

following along - wishing you much success on your journey! Glad to hear the knee replacement has done well - seems those things are either great successes - or horrible failures.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:39 pm

February Month End Report
Stats:
July 2013 was my “all time low” since starting primal in July of 2012.
Feb1 2018 is the start date for this effort
Weight is disappointing and is actually up some from my last week end report. More on this in my weekly update on Saturday. Other measurements kind of go in line with my exercise efforts with weights/ball exercises, and some with my modest walking efforts.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:57 am

Rig for one month I’m liking the inch off of your waist. That good info. I think you’re doing great.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Rig for one month I’m liking the inch off of your waist. That good info. I think you’re doing great.

For health reasons, that implies a very good result since belly fat is the most dangerous kind. Well done!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:10 am

Week 4 Update  Weight: 248.5  Up 1.5 Sad

Thank you ladies for your comments on the 1” loss on the waist. Historically my first and greatest additions and losses are right there. The gut is the first place I can see and feel a change, and on that note, I do feel thinner. The rest of the measurements fall within my margin of error for accurately measuring using the tape measure.

This was a strange week. For no discernible reason, my body suffered from a litany of sore muscles, essentially everywhere at the same time and an achy left knee. Uncomfortable to the point I cut off the exercise for a couple of days completely until I was feeling better. At the same time, my weight surged for 3 consecutive days, and only on Thursday did it start moderating again. All this with my food consumption being definitely on the good side.
This baffles me, I don't understand what is happening with my bod. It is definitely not responding as it did in 2012. Hopefully it will soon get on the bandwagon and start cooperating.

Dermatologist report: The nose growth lab report came back as a squamous growth, so it was cancerous. I think there are 3 types of skin cancers, and with this one I've now had 1 each. I previously had a melanoma removed from my back and a basal cell carcinoma taken off my chest. The nurse said that this one is not as serious an issue as the melanoma. I'm scheduled to see their surgeon on 4/19 for him to work on me and ensure that they have gotten it all, he will use the Mohs procedure, which means he will check it, possibly remove some tissue, have the lab check the area post-removal for any "bad cells" remaining, and re-do until he's got it all. All this done while I'm in the clinic, so I may have more than one session "under the knife."  But I doubt it. He got all my melanoma on the first pass.

Just for the record, my Dad died from a melanoma that he didn't get treated, and my Mother died of liver cancer. I've also had a few aunts, uncles, and cousins who have died from cancer, including a cousin who died last week from her third bout with ovarian cancer.  So it would seem I may be genetically biased in that direction. It is a scary thought, but as long as it shows up as a quickly identified skin cancer, I have no room to complain.

Miscellaneous thoughts:
I've always heard that young people include anyone who is 15 or more years younger than you, and old people are those that are 15 or more years older than you. Now, at age 70 I find that the number of old folks running around is pretty small.

Acting as George P Burdell, I posted this on the MDA Blog titled  What Are You Doing to Live Awesome Today?: on 1/3/18
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-you-doing-to-live-awesome-today/#comment-3362581
George's comment was:  I’m going to start by using proper grammar to live awesomely.

Then, the following Weekend Link Love — Edition 485
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/weekend-link-love-485/
had it as the “Quote of the week”  “I’m going to start by using proper grammar to live awesomely.”
– You’re doing good so far, George P. Burdell.

Gotta love MDA and their more or (mostly) less expertise.  In an exchange with my daughter on the propensity for people to use expressions such as the Ohioism “it needs fixed” and its Oregon equivalent: “it needs fixing” and other grammatical faux pas,  I gave her those links and she responded with: “So I'm hoping whoever it was the responded on MDA's behalf knows that it should have been well, not good.”
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Rig, I’m wondering, while delayed, any chance you could have been going through a bit of a detox from cleaning up your eating? That was my first thought. If that proves true, you may see your body responding better as a result.

Hopefully this will be your last cancer scare as well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:20 am

Goodness gracious....glad you take your skin seriously and get to the dermatologist to take care of issues.

I have had 2 cancers in my family. One brain (father 62) and one leukemia (sister 48). At 70 I must say I am happy to be here.

I'll have to check out those posts you linked.

Take care Rig.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 am

NM: I hope you are right.
PP: Yeah, I'm also 70 and happy to be here. I can look back on my life and see several times I've dodged the bullet, where I could have checked out but fortune was with me. Way too many of my friends, peers, cohorts from HS haven't made it this far.

I've long believed that much of your age is between your ears, as long as you try to be active and involved in life you've got a good shot to "go long". On this score, PP I think you are in a good place with your exhausting list of things you are into. One of my wife's co-workers is younger that she is but looks, acts, dresses, eats like someone close to life's end. Not to brag, but my wife is robust, in good health, and can keep up with most anyone 20 years her junior. It amazes me to see the difference in them.

I also saw the reverse with my Dad. When my Mother got liver cancer it acted fairly quickly to kill her. But while she was sick, he was diagnosed with the melanoma in his eye. He didn't do anything for it until after her death, then had the eye removed. But it had spread. He never did anything else to try and fight it. At the end he told me that after Mother's death he really didn't have anything to live for, so he just opted to die, to the point that he hid his illness from all family and friends until he was found in a coma at his house by my uncles. At the end he was 2 weeks in a nursing home, refused to have a tv or radio or anything, he was just waiting to go. I'm thankful that he didn't have long to wait.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Rig that is so sad about your Dad, but you tend to see that a lot with older folk. Especially, I think, If they’ve not found things to keep them busy after retirement. Their world revolves around each other. I can see that happening with mine.

And you are also correct about it being between the ears and being active. My MIL is 6 months older than my Dad and 2 years older than my mom but seems 10+ years younger than them both. You’d never guess her age, and probably peg my folks older than they are.

My folks do nothing but watch TV. That was basically their life after retirement. My MIL volunteers and is active with all the grands. She also likes to take trips etc.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:25 am

Sorry for your immediate family losses. So sad.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 am

Well, I'm glad you're getting the skin cancer looked at and taking care of that. I wish more people would take skin cancer seriously. But, sadly, many don't think of it at all.

On the weight loss/gain. Don't beat yourself up too much about it. One thing I do know about weight loss (and trust me, that amounts to very little Wink ) is that the variables are just too random. Who knows why one week your're up and another you're down when you are doing the same thing and consuming the same calories. The body is a mystery. It's always great to lose weight and "Look Good Naked" but I think it is more important to feel good and healthy. And sometimes one's lowest weight isn't necessarily their best and healthiest weight. You'll get there!

One the age thing....funny story.....I was pointing out a man to my husband a few weeks ago and said, "that guy, over there. You know, the guy with the black shirt about 50 years old". My husband looks at me and says, "You need to recalibrate your age barometer. That guy is closer to 60 than he is 50.". I'm 46 and it's funny how, in my own mind, I am thinking this guy looks "older" to me so he must be nearer to 50. It was quite an eye-opener in how we always seem to see ourselves as younger than we are.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 am

Week 5 Update  Weight: 248.5  No Change Sad

It appears that I am stuck on top dead center on the weight front.  On my first weight loss journey in 2012 I hit several pretty long lasting plateaus. I had one at around 255 that lasted several weeks. However, I lost very rapidly for the first 10 pounds or so. My current inability to knock off some poundage is depressing.

Food: I'm doing pretty well in adhering to Primal. This week had several days where my food was my normal 3 egg frittata around noon and then a BAS in the evening, one with tuna, one with ham. Last night we went to Chipotle, and I had ½ of mine and about 1/3 of my wife's and that was all I had for the day.

Exercise: Continuing with lighter weights, doing a lot of reps. I'm gradually increasing the crunches, leg kicks, and back lifts on the exercise ball. My walking has been pretty good, I've extended my new normal route significantly and increased my walking time from around 30 to around 45-50 minutes. I want to get this up to an hour.

My left knee continues to give me some issues, it seems to be OK on my walks but really stiffens up afterwards. No swelling in it but flexibility is quite poor. It was stiff enough that I curtailed my Air-Dyne rides a couple of days. I'm procrastinating on going  to the orthopedic surgeon and have him look it over. I know he'll say I should have another knee replacement. I'm mentally just not in the right place to do that yet.  I need to schedule a 3 yr follow up colonoscopy. I had a couple of polyps removedon my first visit and thought the follow up was 5 yrs out, but no, it's 3 years. I can't tell you how excited I was to get the reminder notice in the mail. I did go back and look at my records and yes, it's supposed to be 3 yrs.

The work the dermatologist did on my face is fully recovered, you can't tell I had anything done, so am pleased with that. I'm optimistic the surgeon in April will find that he got all the C cells in the quick excision he did.

With those last notes, it sounds like I'm falling apart physically, but I certainly don't feel like it, other than the knee stuff which is hampering things somewhat. Getting older is no fun, but it is better than not getting any older.

Miscellaneous thoughts:
It must be closing in on spring. I saw one of the local lawn services in the neighborhood a couple of days ago doing some spray work.  I failed last year to get my spring weed/feed done so I still have the bags of fertilizer in the garage. I'm going to give it another week or two then put it on, hopefully knocking down the recurring abundant crop of dandelions we always seem to have.

College basketball season has started. I start paying attention to basketball when the conference championship tournaments get going, and I think the NCAA 68 team playoff tournament is absolutely the best, most entertaining sporting event in the the USA. I'm not a big enough fan, however, to buy tickets to go to the U.Dayton arena (less than 10 mi from my home) to watch the play-in games to get to the round of 64. But the TV will be locked on round ball soon for the first two rounds Thurs-Sunday. I'm optimistic my ACC teams will do well, Virginia, UNC, and Doook all look like good prospects to go deep. Unfortunately, my school Ga Tech had another of the near endless series of not quite mediocre seasons and will also get to watch the tournament. The tourney field will be set later today, looking forward to the match-ups.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:11 am

Hey Rig, chin up. Things will improved soon. Just a thought, maybe you have curtailed your eating a bit too much.

Maybe read my note to Tomi about the amount of food I consumed during my weight loss phase last year. Quite a bit more than you are doing now and at 5’ post menopausal female, my needs should be far less then yours. I tried to keep a pretty good balance to be sure I consumed some carbs, pro and fat each time I would eat, with definite emphasis on LC.

Also, maybe add some collagen if not already doing so. Might give that knee a boost.

I too have been thinking of the lawn work I need to tackle. Being in an HOA, they take care of most, but the bed we put in. Man the weeds popping up. I also need to add some topsoil to areas that have sunk. DS and I will start on that soon.

Have fun watching your college basketball.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:41 am

Everything you are doing for your body and health has to be having a positive effect, leaving you better off than if you were to let it all go. I hope you begin to see the progress in weight loss that you are looking for.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:34 am

Week 6 Update  Weight: 248.5  No Change--Definitely flat-eaued  

Stuck on top dead center another week. Had trouble with getting my exercise in this week, the weather has been pretty crappy not encouraging for outdoor stuff. I got in a couple of AirDyne rides, did my weights and that was about it.

I'll be seriously reviewing what I'm doing this week to see if I can't kick it into gear. I'm tired of feeling fat, and obviously my current effort isn't up to the task.

Miscellaneous Thoughts
My church had a “mulch day” planned for Saturday to spruce up the place for spring/Easter, but canceled it on Friday as we were scheduled for a batch of freezing rain and ice accumulation Friday night. A glorious miss by the weatherman, it was cold and sunny all day, but I was psyched up for raking that mulch.

Wow, the NCAA mens basketball tournament has been really exciting, with a number of great games. The current format of the tournament with 64 teams started in 1985. Going into Friday night's #1 U.Virginia vs #16 UMBC game, there had never been a win for the #16 team. The 135-0 record seemed very safe as Virginia was the overall top seed in the tournament, a powerhouse with a 30-2 record, ACC regular season and tournament champ. UMBC, which either stands for U. Maryland Baltimore County or, possibly, U Must Be Cinderella had barely squeaked into the tournament by winning its conference tournament on a buzzer beater vs Vermont.

I saw most of the game, it was like a lot of these type of games early on, where the underdog scraps and plays tough for the first half but can't maintain and the depth and superior talent of the favorite eventually wears 'em down and they eventually run out of gas and lose by a comfortable margin. It was 21-21 at the half, a remarkably low score. I swapped out for other games that were starting, and came back soon after the second half began when UMBC pulled ahead.

It was an amazing second half. UMBC's key player, Lyles, absolutely owned the court. This kid couldn't miss, he shot from 3 point land, he drove to the net, he passed the ball. UMBC destroyed Virginia's top ranked defense, scoring over 50 in the second half, including going 12/24 for the game from 3 point land. Va couldn't do anything on offense. UMBC's guys were much smaller, much faster, and played with a whole lot more heart and effort. It was a blow out, with UMBC eventually winning 74-54. As the Virginia coach said post-game: "It was a butt-whipping"

Just amazing, the no doubt biggest upset in college basketball history. Nothing in sports is impossible.  Today we find out if UMBC loses its glass slippers as they match up against Kansas State.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Rig - I’m so sorry to hear you are stuck flat. I’m sure something will give soon. Maybe consider a W30 to jump start your campaign?

Yes, while I don’t follow Basketball, I did hear about the upset. DH usually doesn’t watch until it’s down to 8. We will see if he decides to watch this Cinderella game.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:50 am

{{clapping that you are hanging in}} with your diet. I believe this is when/where I lose it and quit. Hate to say this but perhaps it is our age....this tough weight loss thing.

I've been watching some games with my son and they all seem to come down to the wire. Some exciting games we watched Saturday night. Our UM won at the buzzer.

March Madness is great.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next