Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Lovebird on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:33 am

My pleasure! Smile

For those that like to know details and didn't notice the info in the link itself: it's from Canadian Robert Bateman and it's called Power Play Rhinoceros https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb5azYYjpQQ
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:48 am

Beautiful Rhino painting.

Happy Birthday Rig.

I too am glad I found out about primal when I did, I seem to have grasped enough of the fundamentals to be able to choose the useful from the wacky information out there.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:14 am

Y'day ended up a mixed bag. We enjoyed the movie, Dinesh D'Sousa's (?spelling) Death of a Nation. If you are on the right side of the political spectrum, you'll enjoy it. If you are on the left side, it will either royally tick you off, or send you off to research some of what is shown. He draws all kinds of analogies between Lincoln, Trump, and the evolution of Progressive thought focusing on Nazi Germany.

The down side, we've got a family feud between two of my fully grown and supposedly mature chillun. It is very intense, very bitter, very deep, and focused on something really inane and silly that happened years ago, with a few other things thrown in. At any rate, it may affect our Christmas - New Years activities, situation developing.

Hey Hey Hey! Football season is starting. Our HS team opens their season tonight against the local Catholic perennial powerhouse. Last year our guys won for the first time in something like 15 yrs. I expect tonight to be a revenge night, our guys will likely get their heads caved in.

College football starts next week! I'm not a Big10(+ a few) fan, but the Ohio State sitchyashun with (sub)Urban Meyer, the head coach, has been interesting. The school has finally taken action on the whole issue of the recently fired assistant coach and his marital issues and whether Meyer acted appropriately on his knowledge of what was going on. Meyer seems to have a track record of running what is not exactly a squeaky clean program, dating back at least to U. Florida where his departure after several years of dominance in the Tebow era was in great synchronicity with the program essentially falling apart. Meyer is suspended for the first 3 games against Oregon State, Rutgers, and TCU. He'll be back for their game vs Baylor. Around here, these are considered to be pretty much automatic wins for the Buckeyes, so his absence probably may not make much difference. This year, OSU has upped the quality of its schedule, they aren't playing their normal games against some of the smaller schools here in Ohio(Ohio U, Akron, Youngstown, etc.) that are always home games and provide a revenue opportunity for the small schools.
These games normally appear strategically in their schedule to allow them to warm up well and have a strategically placed "rest" game, but they still have 7 home games, 5 road games.

Oh yeah, the NFL is apparently playing some games too. I've pretty much lost interest since the local guys I watched grow up in sports are now out of the league.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Happy Birthday!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Rig I’m so sorry about the situation with the kiddos. Hopefully it can resolve itself prior to the Holidays or at least enough that the holidays can happen w/o incident.

Have fun w/your HS and college ball. We watch a bit of the college stuff, but generally it’s on when I need to be getting things done and it keeps DH occupied for a bit.

NFL wise, I watch the home boys, but that’s it. I prefer my hockey. DH will watch as he has nothing better to do.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Sorry to hear of the troubles between your kids. I hope they can work through it and come to a point of civility again at minimum - better if they can go further. We've been through that - sadly the brothers are not friends anymore, but after a couple of years they got to the point of civility and that is where it has stayed. Parental efforts didn't help, just drove it underground.

Thanks again for all the helpful info. I really appreciate it!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:55 am

I sincerely hope the strained relationships can be reconciled.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:36 am

I think we are making headway on kids. Looks like our holiday plans may be back on.
Our boys won last night 12-6. A good game against a team that looked on the field to be the better team. Our coach has a super record of W/L at his previous school which was a smaller school powerhouse during his tenure. This his second year at our school and looks like he may continue to have winning teams. Having a winning team here is really a new thing. The downside is that our offense is a real snooze fest, it would make a snail race exciting, the QB must have run the ball between the tackles 30 times last night. But the D had one interception, 2 fumble recoveries, and the O turned in a dramatic 90 yard scoring drive in the last 3 minutes to win it, including about a 50 yd pass play to the opponents 1. That made it 2 pass attempts for the night, higher than normal.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:10 pm

The one thing to remember about altercations - it is rarely about the thing being argued about. There could be some underlying jealousies or resentments that are causing this current feud. I hope they get it worked out.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Congrats to your team
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:44 am

Week 29 update Weight: 239.25 up 1
Perhaps I have not escaped my plateau. Have to admit this week I was pretty lousy with the food program. Way too many blue chips and nachos.

My TKR physical therapy is now over. I saw J the last time on Wednesday and we went over final thoughts and suggestions. The visiting nurse came out on Friday for "final exam" and confirmed that I am done with the PT. My range of motion in my left knee is now as good as my right knee, I'm right at 120 degrees. I plan to continue with doing exercises to build strength and see if I can get the ROM over 120. I won't have the “protractor” tool J uses so the judgement on ROM will be largely subjective, I'll probably assess my progress based on how deep I can do squats over time.

I cut the grass, split it over two days, Friday & Saturday and was pretty tired but no issues with the leg. I just now need to build up my endurance to get back to where I ought to be.

This Friday I'll see the surgeon for my what I expect to be my dismissal from his care.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:27 am

You made it! Congrats Rig.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Well done. So pleased your recovery has gone so smoothly.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Rig what an awesome report.

That protractor thing is called a girometer. DD had to buy one for PT school.

Knowing you, you will,have both knees past 120. I know you’ll get there. Are you riding your airdyne for endurance?

Great job on the grass too.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Well done, Rig. I am sure even though the professionals have discharged you that there are still improvements to come. Grok on.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:12 am

NM: The AirDyne is in the garage, so is not in AC/heat conditioned space. It's largely been gathering dust, primary use since my surgery is holding my sweat headband and ball cap on the handlebars. I need to dig it out from under the accumulated yard stuff around it and get going on it. I haven't tried it since the surgery, but don't think I will have any trouble riding it other than just having low endurance.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 am

I find it interesting that you had not pulled it out this year, as last it was your gauge of how you were doing with your healing.

Maybe next week if the temps come down a bit you’ll be able to get it out and start again.

While you do that, I need to get back on my own gazelle as I’ve let that slide as well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:03 am

Well, your post triggered me to go out and use it y'day. My new knee is better right now than my old knee is in making the full circle. The left knee goes over the top with no stress at all, while my right knee still feels some added tension and stiffness.
Given that I'm fat and out of shape, I only rode for 10 minutes. I plan (hope) to gradually ramp it up back to where I'm doing at least 1/2 hr or possibly do 10 miles on it at a pop. The 10 mile objective will take a good long time, my riding velocity to maintain Maffetone heart rate (now about 110) is quite slow. I'll have to be sure I've got podcasts on the mp3 player to keep me occupied. I don't have any sophisticated tools for measuring heartrate, I set my Timex to do a continuing 2 minute timer and do a 15 second heart rate count on each interval. Crude, but effective as I know the approximate speed that will hold me there.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:08 am

Rig great job. Happy to hear the new knee likes the bike. Maybe once you reach your goal time/distance the older knee will finally figure out what it’s supposed to do. Great job getting on yesterday in all that heat.

Hey 9 chances out of 10, your crude HR is better than the fancy watches.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Hey 9 chances out of 10, your crude HR is better than the fancy watches.

LOL! Yep, that is likely the case.

Please to read you are back on the bike, Rig. Slow and steady progression wins every time!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 am

August Monthly Update

A pretty good month. I appear to be finally be moving out of the weight plateau I've been in since late July, and my tape dimensions are good this month.   So being down a little this month puts me at or below the bottom of that plateau.

I saw my surgeon yesterday and he had me schedule another appointment for 8 weeks out. He also said that unless I encounter some difficulty he expects that I will cancel that appointment and we are done.  I scheduled it with the idea that I'll cancel a week prior to the appt.  My left knee is now at least as flexible as my right knee and still slowly getting better. The scar on the left leg is about where the right knee scar is from an appearance standpoint, it still has about three little “bumps” in it that should smooth down, they have already improved a lot. I am making no concessions to the leg now, I'm just doing whatever I want with normal activity. The leg is and will be for some time weaker than my right leg, but that's strictly a muscle recovery process, the surgeon says it'll take months to get “even-up” with my right leg. So far this shows up mainly in my running out of gas fairly quickly when doing “endurance” type activities.

NM queried a couple of times about my Air Dyne, which essentially guilted me into getting going on it again. I'm having no trouble riding it with my new knee, it is actually better than my other knee.  I'm building my riding time slowly, will work to get up to 30 minutes, then see if I can improve distance, all while maintaining the Maffetone 180-age heart rate. I'll probably ride it 3-4 times/week.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:21 am

Great job staying the course, Rig.  Nice numbers this week.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Excellent results for the month Rig. It was a tough month with recovery and all and you make remarkable progress. Awesome.

Love you bike goals too.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Good feedback from the surgeon and great that you are riding again, Rig. Keep on keeping on.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Rig....something you said on a thread makes me ask....do you have a blog? If so, do you want to share it?

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next