Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 14 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Rig D on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:43 am

Week 26 update Weight: 238.5 Down 2 Smile
I had an appointment with my regular MD on Wednesday, and a 2 week follow up with my surgeon on Friday. MD was concerned about my BP, which is up since the surgery and upped the dose of one of the two meds I take. This med has one effect of acting as a water pill, so some of the 2 lb loss is probably due to that change, I was down dramatically on Thursday and slowly regained some weight the rest of the week. BP has responded nicely to the change.

My surgeon is very pleased with progress on my knee. He has basically cleared me to resume all daily activities and to resume my vitamin supplements. I'll continue with PT through August, will see the surgeon on 8/31 for hopefully a final visit. My range of motion is now 0-120, so I'm quite pleased with that. Side note: My surgeon is a big Ohio State fan, with a lot of OSU “stuff” in the treatment room. One display is about AJ Hawk, including a jersey, photo, and a memento or two. I asked him about this, because AJ was in HS with my two sons and played sports with them up through middle school when he became a full time football guy. AJ was All American at OSU as a linebacker, signed a big bonus with the Packers and played for 5 or 6 years as a pro making a ridiculous amount of money. Surgeon had a great story on AJ's grandmother, who every year on his birthday would send him a card with a $5 bill in it.

I can still tell I overdid something and stressed my leg. It is indeed the hamstring, so I expect it will take a few days to get back to normal. I got no slack from PT J though, we went through all the exercises each day, and while it hurt a little I was able to improve my range of motion. While I'm feeling good about everything, I find it quite interesting how really tired I am. Yesterday I took the day off from doing much of anything, and found myself sleeping a lot. I went to sleep on the couch last night around 9:30, woke up and went to bed at 11, and slept well until around 6. That is a huge amount of sleep for me.

We are having another heat blast the last few days, and it is projected to continue for a couple more before the evenings get back to their normal cooler temps.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:41 am

Rig - awesome loss, water loss or not. However, I suspect since it initially went down then back up some, it’s a good loss.

Great job on all the PT work and your ROM. That’s fantastic.

Your body went through quite a trauma having that knee replaced, so I’m sure it’s tired. Add to that, you’ve kept moving and are exercising while it’s still healing. Nothing wrong with a sleep day now and then to let your body catch up. Smile

Keep up the great work.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:58 pm

love reading of your progress in weight and movement! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:25 pm

I'd say a big sleep day is pretty normal after a major surgery. It helps a body heal, so don't fight it. Thanks for the bits about ROM, I am super interested in that.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:04 am

I can still tell I overdid something and stressed my leg. It is indeed the hamstring, so I expect it will take a few days to get back to normal. I got no slack from PT J though, we went through all the exercises each day, and while it hurt a little I was able to improve my range of motion. While I'm feeling good about everything, I find it quite interesting how really tired I am. Yesterday I took the day off from doing much of anything, and found myself sleeping a lot. I went to sleep on the couch last night around 9:30, woke up and went to bed at 11, and slept well until around 6. That is a huge amount of sleep for me.

Your body had been through a lot in the last few weeks. Not only is your body using vast amounts of energy to heal but the anesthesia will have certainly affected you. On top of that is all the extra effort that is required by your body to do basic movements as it has to compensate for the lack of support of your knee. I'm also sure your gait is probably off which also affects the rest of your muscles, ligaments, etc. Your body is telling you to rest! So rest! Wink

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:21 pm

No problems on getting the rest. I'm definitely getting a lot. PT J is here MWF this week and next, and Monday he really worked me hard on the knee bending, added a couple of good stretch exercises that really work the knee and thigh.

Y'day DW cut the grass, first time since surgery and we had a near forest in the yard it was so tall. She did all but our relatively small back yard, and what normally is about a 1 hour job took nearly 2 hours. I stayed out in the yard to act as moral support and also did some leg exercises. She was really pooped when done and we celebrated her achievement with a Chipotle run and she ate virtually all of her burrito bowl, which is really atypical.

I think in another week I'll be up for trying to cut at least the flat area of our yard, I'll at least give it a shot, not sure how well it'll go, certainly slow but hopefully not painful.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Slow, not painful sounds like a victory to me! Kudo's to DW!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Congrats to DW. And to you for adding moral support.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Week 27 update Weight: 239 Up 0.5 Neutral
A truly nothing week, weight up a tad, no big deal there. Food for the week was mediocre, too much sour dough bread. My knee continues to improve it's range of motion, but not much change there either. Biggest excitement was elder grandson announced that he would be available Mon or Tues of next week to cut our grass.

So maybe next week will be more exciting and better results.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Sounds like a pretty level week, in my mind it sets you up for a better one next week.

So awesome your grandson will relieve your DW of the mowing duties next week.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:26 am

An anecdote on mustard and hot dogs, as a follow up to LoonieJ's recent post on her thread: While I was in high school I worked a couple of years in the early 60's in the concession stand at the Charlotte Motor Speedway for the World 600 race. My Dad was a childhood buddy of the guy who did all the NASCAR concessions throughout the south so his son and I worked the Charlotte event. It was a very lucrative job, by noon and early afternoon the crowd was pretty well zonked out on all the beer they brought and many guys would give you a 10 or 20 for a dog and a coke and tell you to keep the change – that was a bunch of cash for a kid in the early 60's. I made a lot more on tips than salary. The concession stands were at the top of the racetrack, and the brand new Chrysler hemi-head engines were all the rage. It was exciting to see them come around the track, for a long time in one race they were running 1-5, all with front/rear bumpers nearly touching, going well over 100mph. The sound was incredible, so intense that we actually had to grab the ketchup and mustard bottles on the counter to keep them from vibrating off onto the floor.

Going into race day I was a big ketchup fan, ate it on almost everything. But that day we ran out of ketchup in the early PM and I was forced to snack down on hot dogs with just mustard. That was the last day I ever used ketchup as a condiment, I became a total and complete mustard guy, to the point that even today, on the very rare times I have fries, I eat them with mustard. Subsequently in college, we had a Lum's food place near campus that featured beer soaked hot dogs and there I discovered spicy brown mustard. Sadly, Lums is no longer with us, but IMO they had the finest hot dogs going-- loaded up with chili, a mild sauerkraut, onion, and a big dose of that spicy brown mustard, they were sooo good.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:10 am

Rig I love your story about the mustard.

What fun being at the track like that with all the cars. It is a lot of fun to watch. And it seems quite the money maker as well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Here's to well cut grass Smile

And to continued healing, of course.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Where you just aren't that long post-op, those stats look pretty good to me. I'd expect you are still carrying extra water weight from surgery fluids and post-op swelling.

If I had to pick one or the other, I'd choose mustard.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 am

NM: The races to me are pretty boring and I'm not a big fan of NASCAR (Or Indy style). It was exciting to work, but watching them go round and round gets old quickly for me. I think others feel the same, that's why the pristine track at 6AM looks like a deranged crew held a beer party everywhere and left all their trash by 6PM. The only excitement is the wrecks, and I don't like that, possibly watching someone get maimed, injured, or killed. One of my HS buddies was in the curve of the Charlotte Motor Speedway where Fireball Roberts crashed and killed himself. He had it all on video tape.

M2M: The water weight is pretty much all gone. I haven't measured my legs, but my left is now down to looking pretty normal, the knee area is about the same size as my right knee. Left calf is still a little swollen, but not nearly as much as my right was last year. One thing that's really nice is that the bruising and discoloration I had up & down my leg last year has just not been there this year, none at all. I think my MD increasing my dosage of the one med that is also a water pill has helped purge things out.

AnnieH: Yes, the yard looks much better. Biggest issue I have “out there” is the large number of little bitty trees that have shown up this year. I must have 10 or 15 that keep getting mowed down and they seem to grow pretty quickly between mowings. Haven't even tried to get rid of 'em this year. And we do have a pretty large number of other weeds and a fair dose of crabgrass that grows like crazy, but at least those are all green.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Rig how terrible to watch a fatal crash. I don’t usually watch the races on TV and I’ve only been to a few sprint car races. Just thought maybe there was excitement in the crowd. Guess not.

Happy to hear the leg is looking pretty normal at this point. That’s great news.

DS and I were out weeding today. What a chore, but it’s now done.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 am

Week 28 update Weight: 238.25 down 0.75 Smile

A pretty good week. I wasn't particularly attentive to diet, (I even had a peanut butter sandwich, it has been years) but the healing process in my leg seems to be consuming a lot of energy so I managed to drop some weight. All good!

It is my one month TKR anniversary today. At one month after last year's TKR, I had just given up my cane unless I was going on a longer duration walks, and had just gotten to where I could make a “full circle” peddle on my Air Dyne. This year, I've been cane-less for a good while, and yesterday I helped DW in the yard, I dug up a bunch of stuff she replanted, and dug a couple of smaller holes where she transplanted small shrubs. We have a corner house and have sidewalk on both streets, so I also got the string trimmer out and edged the longer street and sidewalk. The junque vegetation in our yard was covering nearly 25% of the walkway, so it was badly in need of trimming. At any rate I managed that with no problems other than being really, really tired. My hopeful objective today is to do the remaining street/sidewalk. We'll see. I'm also planning on attempting the lawn mowing later this week. Probably will do it in one section/day unless I'm feeling super chipper. I'm not sure how well I can handle the slope on our side and back yard.

I saw the visiting nurse on Monday. She is curtailing my PT J's visits after this coming week. I wanted to go one more week, but that didn't pan out. J is going to bring a set of longer term exercise info he recommends on Wednesday. I will miss his positive reinforcement and encouragement.

My personal odometer clicks to 71 on Wednesday. Other than my left knee recovery process, I feel as good or better than I did 10-15 years ago, pre-Primal. I'm very happy my son got me onto Primal, and that MDA has proved a good resource for health info over the last 6 years. Although I find it less interesting now that the MDA focus is keto.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:54 am

Good news Rig! Great to hear it.

My friend in AZ goes down tomorrow for her new knee.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:52 am

Rig what a wonderful and positive report.

I was waiting to here what you are now able to do on the airdyne this year. However, all the other 1 month stats are amazing. Actually can’t believe it’s a month already.

In case I forget, Happy Birthday later this week. I think you are doing amazing!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:11 am

RigD wrote:My personal odometer clicks to 71 on Wednesday. Other than my left knee recovery process, I feel as good or better than I did 10-15 years ago, pre-Primal. I'm very happy my son got me onto Primal, and that MDA has proved a good resource for health info over the last 6 years. Although I find it less interesting now that the MDA focus is keto.

Great health report. Hooray for Chip! Ditto on the keto overdose (just about everywhere nowadays, not just MDA) and not to forget all the advertising in every blog posted, which was far less (annoying) before.

Congratulations!

While searching for a rhino pic I found this painting too. Thought you might like it as well as it's so powerful.

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:52 am

Happy Birthday, Rig.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:31 am

You say it's your birthday? Have a great one.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:03 am

Happiest of Birthday’s to you Rig! Enjoy every moment.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Thank you all, so far it is a good day!
LB: neat bd "card", and I've saved a copy of your rhino painting. Very nice!

Getting ready to pick up younger GS at school and drop him off at my Son's house. Then quickly home for my last PT session with J. Then a cookout, and cap it all of with a late movie. The day gest substantially busier starting now.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Happy Birthday Rig! Best wishes for an outstanding year.

LB - great pics!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next