Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Rig D on Wed Feb 14 2018, 16:48

PP no, it wasn't me sending out stuff. Ontario says in another thread that she thinks it is forumotion, PF's parent operation. I don't know why they plopped my thread in there first. Ontario also says you can turn off getting these in your settings info. Haven't looked for it, I'm hoping it was a one-off, not the beginning of a re-occurring series of junque emails.

Ankle weights: So far so good, I guess. I'm wearing them around pretty much all day and finding that my legs are definitely more fatigued by the end of the day. The weights are 2.5 lbs each leg and are pretty much all beat to hell and back and the Velcro straps are just about shot, they gradually work loose and fall off during the course of the day. They are only about 40 years old and used a lot. I'll replace them whenever I find my round tuit at a sporting goods store or maybe if Aldi has some on their "miscellaneous" aisle. We picked up a nice 6 piece set of light dumbbells at Aldi for abut $15 a year or so ago, so I'd be inclined to try other exercise stuff from them.

My left knee (my non-replaced one) is really bothering me a bunch. I have arthritis in it and pre-surgery last year I was beginning to have trouble with it being inflexible and painful. It had a bad spell around Christmas, got better, then started again last week after riding my Air-Dyne and is getting steadily worse. We have a sectional sofa that "sits low" in our LR and I'm having a very hard time getting up. If it isn't showing signs of improvement next week, I will make an appointment with my knee surgeon for him to check it out for possible replacement. He'll be expecting me to come back based on his observations last year. Not excited about another round of surgery, although the last one went well, I just don't look forward to another long bout of recovery.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 14 2018, 18:46

While there are undoubtedly benefits to the ankle weights, they are likely aggravating the left knee. Extra weight on the feet (such as heavy boots) definitely strains the knees.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Feb 15 2018, 01:41

I agree with M2M. I’d forgo the ankle weights and see if that helps.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Feb 17 2018, 17:33

Week 2 Update  Weight: 249, Down 1.
Not much tangible progress so far, but I'll take it. Not getting enough exercise. Diet this week has been good, no Primal deviations.

M2M, I followed your advice and put the ankle weights away. My knee pain is still there, but the peak severity is a good bit reduced and the normal background achy pain is about the same. Flexibility in it is still poor.

I feel like my body is finally getting primally adjusted. Judging by my favorite pair of jeans, my belly seems to be down a little. My system purged out the last two days so after a period of feeling heavy/bloated, I'm now feeling better and feel more like doing my exercises. We have a crummy day today, mid 30's F and solid clouds with rain/snow this afternoon/night. S'posed to be cold and clear Sunday, then two days in the 60's, but with rain. I'm going to try and get outside for some walking while the weather is better.  I think walking was key to my success in my first big weight purge, so I'm looking forward to being able to get outside and work my neighborhood and park routes. Doing laps in the house is terribly unsatisfying in all respects.

I've increased my repetitions on my light dumbbells, and have brought my regular dumbbells in from the garage so I can go heavier in weights as time goes by. Still can't find a good home for them in the house, though, my wife objects to them being in our TV area, which is where I would like to use them. I can watch the tube and also get my weight work done at the same time. I do this with my belly/back ball exercises too, she hasn't objected to the big exercise ball, perhaps because I use it as my preferred chair.

Appetite: For the first time since restarting, I've finally had a day with what I remember as normal Primal hunger pangs. I seriously applied the "eat when hungry" mode the last few days. having a day or two where I really only ate one meal, with a small snack of nuts. Yesterday and this morning I had really deep, really strong hunger pangs and my food seemed more satisfying than it has been recently.

I've tried to sit down and watch some of the Olympics. I dunno, winter stuff just does not do it for me, I can't get into it. I like the ski jumping events, and the various races, except for the short track speed skating. For me, if you can't use a stop watch or tape measure to judge winners and losers, it isn't much of a sport. So figure skating while fun to watch imho gets way too much coverage. I have similar issues with the summer Olympics with several events, particularly the gymnastics. Not arguing about the athletic skill required to perform, just the amount of coverage. Plus I often wonder why if we have swimming events for freestyle, butterfly, backstroke, breast stroke, we don't have events in track for alternative styles like the 100m walk and the 400m skip to complement the "freestyle" running already there.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 18 2018, 00:24

Rig getting readjusted to Primal is huge. That can be such a stickler in many ways.

Happy to hear a baby the walking. Also huge for me last year. While I can’t get outside much this year, I have to deal with interior laps. Refuse to give in and seriously a good book on kindle makes laps tolerable.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 18 2018, 11:24

Lol, I'm the opposite.  Gymnastics is my favourite sport to watch, and figure skating would be up there.  Who cares how many times someone can ride a bike round a track?  Well, obviously lots of people, but to me it just looks boring.

Grok on, Rig.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Feb 18 2018, 12:33

Keep chucking away at Primal. You know it works however slowly.

I'm with you on the Olympics... If I'm bored I hope for the skiing or snow board competitions but will not sit for hours watching those either.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 18 2018, 19:10

I love to watch the staking and gymnastics, but prefer the others due to scoring. When your score depends on speed and the clock determines who is first, i much prefer that to subjective scoring. Irks me every time i hear, this person is good, but next Olympics will be theirs, they then put on a perfect program but are down graded because they are young.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Mon Feb 19 2018, 05:47

Sounds like a good start with the exercises. My therapist taught me some deceptively simple, but, quite effective exercises for core strength. Every little bit counts. Hope the bronchitis episodes have diminished.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Feb 19 2018, 15:04

Now down to an occasional cough.

Had dinner last night with my older son and met his new girlfriend's two cute kids and her parents, nice folks visiting from Alabama, near the Gulf Coast. Fun night of conversation and games with an excellent fish dinner.

Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 19 2018, 19:20

Maybe if when you are done with the weights, you can put them in an out of the way corner? I figure it's healthier to be doing something while watching TV than just sitting there, so I'm very tolerant of whatever exercise gear is around... of course, then I can use it to. Cool
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 20 2018, 00:13

Happy to hear you are feeling better.

Also nice you could meet the GF, kids and mom all in on fell swoop. Sounds like a wonder time.

I think M2M has a good idea about the weights. Of course you can always ask you DW if she wants a buff sexy guy, or fat slob sitting next to her, might make her agree to the weights Wink
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 20 2018, 00:49

For now, the weights are parked in the office. While I ponder what to do with 'em, I've strapped the ankle weights on the wrists to give more resistance and doing the same reps. Wife correctly has determined that I'm either going to go from fat slob to (in my dreams) buff & sexy whether the weights are in the office or
TV area.

Yeah, I can move the weights around from office to TV area and back when done. My perception ,however, is that it is a PITA in doing so and quite honestly, when finished using them, toting 'em around is not appealing. I got the weights as a gift when I was a teenager, so I have a barbell, 2 dumbbells and the weights, nothing else. I'm giving some thought to finding or making a rolling cart to put 'em on to minimize the perceived (probably not the actual) hassle. 'Tis the principle of the thing dontcha know.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 20 2018, 00:53

I know. Get DW in on the exercise by having her help you take them back to the office. She’ll get to lift a little bit of heavy things after your done. I agree it is perceived PIA
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 20 2018, 13:23

NM, you must be kidding. She's fine with using the light dumbbells already in the tv area to complement her video exercise shows. My heavier weights would be: "your mess, you clean it up." And, after 47+ years being married, that is an argument I'd be destined to lose, no point in launching into it.

In the meantime, we're having a very nice surge of spring. Y'day was 67F, some clouds. Today we are supposed to break the all time record by hitting 73F. It'll be cloudy but who cares? I got out for a nice 45 min walk y'day, expect to do the same today. I wore long pants y'day, but that was a big mistake, I expected the air to feel cool, but dang, it was really warm. The 10 day forecast shows all the daily highs in the mid 40s or higher. I really doubt that we embarking on an early spring. I expect to have at least one more real blast of bitter cold.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 20 2018, 18:38

Glad you're feeling better.

Hey, you're smart about knowing when you aren't going to win an argument with your wife. She's trained you well! Just kidding! Razz

We're also having a spring surge. Are you getting massive amounts of rain as well? But don't get too comfortable - You KNOW it's not over yet. It always seems to find its way back to us after tempting us with what could be. Winter - Gah!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 20 2018, 19:04

We've had a lot of rain, y'day & today have just been normal Ohio cloud cover. Rain projected for Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun.  The ducks and geese love it.  

Arguments: There are occasions when it just isn't worth winning. We had a recent disagreement over where a waterfall picture we have in our LR was taken. I said Hawaii, she said Kentucky. I could have gone and found the photo album of our Hawaii trip and won that one. But if I had, the 30 degree drop in room temperature for the next couple of days didn't seem worth it. That's what happens when you have two Scottish Leos in the same house.

I'm afraid it's going to be warm long enough to fool the plants. Last year our 2 grape vines and other stuff decided it was spring and sprouted. We got a very hard freeze later and just ruined them. Looks like this year will be more of the same. Sigh.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 20 2018, 19:20

Rig D wrote:

I'm afraid it's going to be warm long enough to fool the plants. Last year our 2 grape vines and other stuff decided it was spring and sprouted. We got a very hard freeze later and just ruined them. Looks like this year will be more of the same. Sigh.

We've has this with apples in Ontario for about 4 out of the last 5 winters. Of course, that means no apples so all the apples in the stores are very expensive because there is no crop here.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 21 2018, 01:41

That false spring thing has already happened here. I noticed on Saturday when it was lovely, warm and a delight to be outside, that my stupid currents and raspberries were leafing out. Yesterday was a dang blizzard (sans actual snowfall), and overnight we were in single digits. I don't think our high temps are to get above the freezing mark all week. Oh well, it was probably time to replace the dirt in those half barrels anyway...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Feb 24 2018, 18:19

Week 3 Update  Weight: 247, Down 2.
A decent week, I was below 247 for a couple of days, but ate way too much dinner 2 nights back to back when my wife didn't much like our meal and I finished off hers.  I do seem to have a problem with completely getting away from the “see food” diet. Even when it is a primal meal, if I eat to satisfy my eyes and not my gut I consume way too much.  Modest exercise this week, the non stop rain has, ahem, dampened my enthusiasm for walking, the laps in the house are really a tedious thing.  Still using the weights, still haven't figured out a good solution for my dumbbells.

I'm fairly sore from doing the dumbbell and ball exercises. I'm slowly increasing repetitions but really need to increase the dumbbell weight to make them more effective.  

I visited the dermatologist Friday. I was overdue for a checkup. I've had a couple of skin cancers in the last 5 years and was supposed to be on a routine checkup schedule, but somehow that got lost and it has been about 2 years.  But in January I had a mole/wart type thing erupt on my nose, close to where my reading glasses sit on the bridge. It got pretty big, pretty fast. It was annoying and was evidently not going to just go away, so I went in to have it removed and get a full body screen for other stuff. Other than the nose thing, no issues found and now it is gone, as well as a piece of pencil lead that I've had in my cheek since I was around 6. I've got a matching piece in my left arm, but will leave that one alone. I found it humorous that the dermatologist refers to these embedded pieces of pencil lead as “traumatic tattoos.”

The thing on my nose is off to the lab for a biopsy to see if it was another skin cancer. I have a follow up appt next Friday to get stitches removed from my cheek and see what else, if anything he'll do with my nose.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Feb 24 2018, 20:35

I hope the biopsy comes back clear. Healing thoughts headed your way.....

The pencil lead. Okay, I have to know the story behind that one! I'm thinking it has to do with the trauma that they call elementary school . LOL!

Around here we call the picking at left overs or extra food on the stove when cleaning up "Food Pirating". My hubby is TERRIBLE for this. I often wonder how many extra calories one can consume in a year picking at food like that. When I see hubby doing this I typically ask him, "do you need me to get you a plate?". It sort of makes him aware he's doing it. Perhaps you need the wife to give you hell. Most wives would oblige. Laughing

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Feb 25 2018, 14:58

I can't give you any real satisfaction on the pencil lead story as I don't remember any details. I've had those two pieces under my skin since maybe 1955. I suspect that it was not traumatic enough to make a big impression at the time. All I can tell you for sure is that we had a lot of kids my age on my street, and we would play very rough and tumble versions of Cowboys and Indians and WWII German invasion stuff. I suspect that's how it happened. I also had a nice big scar that's finally faded away on the outside of my left leg at the knee joint. I do remember getting that one by sliding into second base, which happened to be a board with big nail sticking through it. That nail earned me a bonus trip to the doctor's office and a tetanus shot.

I can't say that what happens here is picking or pirating and I don't think your food solution will work in our house without major behavior changes from both of us. Typical situation is we'll eat dinner, my wife (or me) will prepare dinner and usually seems to be "right sized" meals for two. I always let my wife serve herself first, she typically will not take her "fair share" but she's pretty good on eye-balling the food to fit her appetite. So we eat. There are numerous times that for whatever reason, she will not eat her meal, leaves a good amount, and then says, I'm full do you want the rest and pushes her plate over. I have always had a very tough time saying no.

I have made some progress on the see food diet issue. We have a Greek place close to us that we really like, we get take out there often. They have a Super Greek salad that's about $9 but is huge, with lots of gyro meat. I've learned to grab a plate, take a dinner size portion from the take out carton and save the rest for break-lunch the next day. I do the same now with our infrequent visits to Chipotle and their burrito bowl.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 26 2018, 04:56

Rig, congrats on the loss. You are doing quite well.

Darn I was looking for a good tale about the pencil lead. However the baseball story made me cringe and things don’t bother me but a rusty nail is nothing to play with.

Ok, next time your wife asks you about the rest of her meal, try saying why don’t you wrap it up for lunch tomorrow.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Feb 26 2018, 05:14

Baseball is a dangerous sport. DH broke his leg sliding into 3rd base when his cleats caught in the grass and snapped both bones. He was lucky that the full leg, bent knee cast for 6 months worked, otherwise he'd of had a plate and screws resulting in a permanent disability. Not good for his profession.

Last edited by Pedidoc on Mon Feb 26 2018, 12:22; edited 1 time in total
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Feb 26 2018, 12:00

The dangers of baseball/softball. My youngest is still playing and I think my oldest is thinking about reupping this summer. In your mid-40s the chances of getting hurt worsen.

How'd we get on baseball? Sorry Rig.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next