Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:52 pm

I agree about a total of 5lbs lost in a month is good -- just right vs. too much loss.

Quite a spreadsheet you've got going there. You must be a numbers man.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Yes indeed, I'm slightly OCD on numbers and other stuff you can stuff into spreadsheets and play around with. At one time was quite the x-purt on Excel. Now I'm an Openoffice guy, and haven't had the need to do anything terribly elaborate. In addition to my weight, I keep my banking, medical,and accounts payable in spreadsheets and use them to plan out cash flow. But nothing really nifty, doing anything beyond vlookups is probably not gonna happen.

My MD asked me at a previous visit to keep track of my BP for my last visit. At that visit I gave him my relatively modest spreadsheet printout. He took one look and said "you must be an engineer." Very Happy Very Happy Yup, an injuneer by eddication and a manufacturing systems guy by trade, and for many years a stock analyst in my spare time. All of which made good use of spreadsheets
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:39 pm

I'd be going nuts if I were exercising and trying to keep my HR at or below 180-age. Good for you for your persistence! Glad you are seeing more consistent results too.

I eat very little wheat, or any grain for that matter and when I do, my weight pops up by a couple of pounds and stays up for a few days. If that is the only effect, I don't fuss too much since I know what caused it. When I start getting little rashy bumps on my belly, I know it is time to step away from the wheat.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:31 pm

You would like my BIL - he is an actuary and he talks in spreadsheets!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Rig congrats on the nice loss regardless of what caused it. At least you know you are losing inflammation. Happy to hear the swelling in the TKR leg has finally subsided.

You’re rocking this and join the club on re-learning a lesson Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:44 am

My Dad was like that with data/spreadsheets too. Smile

Nice progress. Keep up the good work.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Week 17 update Weight: 243.75  UP 2.5 Sad

A rebound from last week. As noted in the monthly update, I gained a whole bunch and my digestive system was totally fubar after my big carb splurge. In the immediate days afterwards I went up to over 246, and it has been coming back down slowly.  I'm feeling almost back to normal now, so plan on seeing the weight resume a good trend, hopefully I will not plateau out.

M2M, I understand your feeling about the heart rate. My 180-age heart rate is 110, so it doesn't take much exercise to bump it up. On the other hand, my resting heart rate is normally between 55 and 60.  The whole 180-age is kind of the cornerstone on the Primal Endurance concept and everyone who goes with the concept finds the low heart rate to be a big dis-incentive. The whole concept is to build your cardio vascular system slowly and indeed, I've found that IF I can make myself stay on track I find that my speed & distance gradually increase over time while maintaining the low heart rate.

We had a huge maple tree in our back yard, with a massive ground level trunk that had 4 main trunks coming off it. It was dying slowly and we had an arborist check it out last year and he said it was a lost cause and should be cut down. His quote for doing that work was amazingly high, and he said that he had a tree in his yard that needed to come down and he couldn't afford to hire his own company to do the work. He suggested hiring one of the many “doorknocker” tree services that cycle through the neighborhood to take it down. So that's what I did, Thursday I got one of the “hey, we're in the neighborhood and can do the job cheap” quotes. The guy seemed knowledgeable so I hired him. His 4 man crew was busy all day, and worked their butts off, one guy up in the tree swinging around by ropes tied to the main trunk high up and anchoring himself with gear that I remember telephone linesmen wearing when climbing poles, hanging on with one hand and using a chainsaw with the other. The other three were on the ground collecting the cut wood. I would never risked doing the job in the manner the tree guy did, he was insane.  At the end of the day they “owed” me some clean-up work and a final cut on the massive trunk (right now it is an irregular oval, 5 ft long, 4 ft wide and 4 ft tall) to take it down to near ground level, and then grinding out the stump. They were supposed to be back Friday AM. I wrote 'em a check for about 90% of the contracted price, balance to be paid after they finished up.  So of course they were “no-shows” on Friday, and Saturday.  I stopped payment on the check Friday afternoon, the check didn't clear the bank on Friday, so hopefully the stop payment is effective. So now I'm waiting to see what happens when they find out the check isn't good. They have too much invested in it to just walk away.

On a totally different thing: I was coming out of a shopping mall and stopped at the red traffic signal. A guy pulled up on my right in the turn right only lane, stopped, then started, and immediately slammed on his brakes. Ohio allows rights on red after full stop. He hit a bicyclist, I could see the wheel of the bike in front of his car. Now, the punch line – the bicyclist got up and was OK, he was a city policeman, in their shorts uniform, and he was definitely not a happy camper as the light changed and I pulled away.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Hope the tree workers come back. I'm sure the guy who hit the officer wasn't happy by the time he was free to go.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:02 pm

That was a stupid mistake. Glad the bicyclist was okay.

Good for you stopping payment on the check. I made the mistake of paying off the power washing company when they said they'd be back to clean a couple of areas again. The guy came out for a look-see so I trusted him. I knew better but trust his God Bless comment.

sorry about your wishy-washy weight! Remember --- health, that is what we are going for.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Rig, I’m sure that small gain will disappear quickly. We will all have ups and downs

Good job stopping payment on the check until the work is finally complete.

Wow, hitting a cyclist is bad enough and then tomhave it be a cop. Poor guy
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:41 am

That's a crazy story about the bike. I'm guessing that the guy turning right on the red (we also can do that here) is going to be charged as he had the dumb luck to hit a police officer! Glad everyone is okay, though.

I'm also in the 180-age heart rate camp. My resting heart rate is also pretty low - usually around 58 to 60ish. In face, if I am absolutely vegging out, like an hour into a movie or something, it can be as low as 56. So getting my heart rate up there in the preferred range is darned hard! It's a good thing I don't really strive to do so as running is insanely boring to me. The only reason you'll find me running is if something is chasing me. Laughing

I'm betting those tree guys will be back. 90% is, as you say, far too much to walk away from. Hopefully they come back and clean up their mess. If not, I guess you're up the money. Find a couple of neighbourhood teenagers and pay them to clean up. They'll do it for far less.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Good job on the quick stop payment! We call these door to doorer's "fly by nighters". And they usually have the same MO --- come in do the bulk of the job, but never finish. Some are brazen enough to ask for 1/2 up front and then never ever come back to start the job. The sad part is the people are too dumb, or too trusting, and pay before the work has even started. I have heard many stories about people getting taken this way. Me.... I don't pay till the job is complete unless I know the guy personally. The other thing to watch for on the door knockers....... are they licensed and bonded? Often - they are not. So, if they screw up and a limb crashes through your roof or damages other property --- you have to eat it. Sad

I love Excel Smile But, you almost need a PhD to know all the formula's! I find it a challenge and a victory when I get it to do what I want. And trust me - its childs play compared to what you can probably do with it.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Tree: Check deposited and returned on 6/4. We'll see what happens now. I can see  a difference between doorknockers and fly-by-nighters. In my experience the true fly-by-night operation leaves no trace of their activity, they are just gone the next day, with no method of contact.  Not sure which I have in this case, it could be that their failure to show was just, ahem, an oversight.
So getting my heart rate up there in the preferred range is darned hard!

Smile Ontario, you'll find it easier and easier to "get there" as you put more sun laps on your personal calendar.

Excel: Yeah, there are a jillion formulas.  Most of what you will do, though, will only require use of a few. You can use the formula bar for the others to at least get a handle on the items required to make the function work by using the function wizard icon (at least in OpenOffice).
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:18 pm

What a shame the big old tree was rotten and had to come down. Hope the guys come back and finish the work.

T's parents had a huge, beautiful maple in their yard, it provided wonderful shade for the house and the backyard. They started worrying that a branch would fall on the roof and crush them in their sleep. Their daughter had an arborist come and look at it, he said the tree was good, but the folks just couldn't let go of the notion, so had it cut down. T nabbed a bunch of the trunk of the tree and made the most beautiful countertop for our home - the only good to come of the episode as far as I'm concerned.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 am

Have the tree guys contacted you yet? I would imagine it won't take long for them to come a knockin' once they find out the cheque didn't clear. I would love to hear their response when you tell them they didn't finish the job and you expect it done before payment.

The heart rate thing....I'm not that young. I'm 46. Yesterday I was waiting for son to finish an exam. I quickly ran up two flights of stairs of about 50 steps each, and then immediately started doing walking laps around the library. After five minutes of this I was still at only 86 beats per minute.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:44 am

Ontario, that doesn’t sound quite right for your HR.  While I have 10 years on you, I can get to 86 just walking from one room to the next.  It’s also why I don’t like the 180-age.  I’m barely breaking a sweat at that number.  Of course either one of our HRM could be to blame. Smile

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:57 am

Narrowminded wrote:Ontario, that doesn’t sound quite right for your HR.  While I have 10 years on you, I can get to 86 just walking from one room to the next.  It’s also why I don’t like the 180-age.  I’m barely breaking a sweat at that number.  Of course either one of our HRM could be to blame. Smile

I know. It's weird. I've always had a lower blood pressure reading so I assume it's due to that. Or, it's my good, hearty Scottish genes. Laughing

Anyway...back to Rig D........

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:41 am

Ontario, I'm about as Scottish heritage as you can get, and I'm very much in NM's corner on the heart rate thing, not yours. And, I've got high BP. I'd say that you are blessed that your body reacts the way it does, it should provide great benefits as you continue circling the sun.

Tree update: No contact yet, I'll give them until Thursday to initiate contact, then I will initiate contact. I finally had a "Well Duh" moment and looked 'em up on the Better Business Bureau web site. No surprise, they carry a solid F rating, with several people posting experiences similar to mine. OK, I am an idjut for not checking that obvious spot first. We had another doorknocker stop by y'day, he quoted me $300 for stump removal, assuming the stump was somewhere near ground level, not almost 4 ft tall. His outfit carries a BBB A+ so I have a little more faith in his estimate and capability.

At any rate, I've reserved the cash in my checking account to pay the bleeps if they ever come and finish off the cutting. I'd say they have a max of about 2 hrs work to get it done and tidy up the area.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Rig - while you may have neglected to look them up first, you’re the one laughing right now. They thought they’d take you, but you beat them to the punch. My gut tells me they won’t be back as they will be afraid you’ll cancel the check even if they finish the job. Just a hunch. Smile

As to BP, mine to has always been low. My norm right now, with the little bit of exercise I get in is 114/70, so that doesn’t explain the pulse to me, for me.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Narrowminded wrote:

As to BP, mine to has always been low.  My norm right now, with the little bit of exercise I get in is 114/70, so that doesn’t explain the pulse to me, for me.

This is a perfect example of how we all must monitor our health and do what works best for us. We're all so different. That was one of the things that first attracted me to MDA and Mark himself. He has always been a proponent of "do what works for you" realizing that none of us have bodies that function just like anyone else. Isn't it amazing how different we all are?

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Good convo. And our past environments are the beginning point.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:16 pm

I'm 54, my blood pressure is usually something like 95/69, resting HR of 53 on average. My HR would have popped up to the 120's - 130's on those flights of stairs. It would drop back down really quickly too. Not to cause a worry, but when my SIL started having thyroid problems (Graves was eventually diagnosed), her heart rate stayed abnormally low with activity.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 am

For reference, here is the tree remains. I've put one of our patio chairs right beside the trunk for reference, and the 6 ft wooden fence is a few feet behind it.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:40 am

I surely hope they return and finish the job. I'd give them a call and another chance.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 am

I surely hope they return and finish the job.  I'd give them a call and another chance.

Last time I gave blood: 106/60.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next