Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by perennialpam on Sun May 13, 2018 6:55 pm

Yikes - mowing twice a week?

I have not mowed yet. I went away last week, though, and when I got home I am in bad need of that first mow. It was raining prior to the work vacation.

Congratulations on sticking with your food intake and weight loss. And, glad you have decided to go for the new knee. I am sure you will be glad you started the process. Sorry to mess up your summer.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon May 14, 2018 7:57 am

^ Unless Conformis has ramped up production significantly, I fear they may be slower this year. When I first started looking at them 3 yrs ago, there was only one surgeon in this area that used them (my guy). Last year I think there were 4, this year there are around 10. So I expect the demand is up quite a bit.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon May 14, 2018 10:19 am

Better to be prepared for that lag then. Sad
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon May 14, 2018 10:33 am

Yes, 2x week for a while. The fertilizer I put down is working all too well, and it looks like I've successfully knocked down my dandelion crop. If I do brag a tad, the lawn looks pretty good. We've had a bunch of rain, and the stuff grows like crazy. And it is thicker this year than usual. My ancient mulching mower is really not doing so well with handling it.

I'm prepared for a possible delay, hoping it doesn't happen. Biggest concern I have for the summer is whether my grandsons are going to handle yard duty while I'm out of commission. The older one (15) is in band and they kick off their summer 2x day stuff in July, and that will preclude his availability. And I'm not sure my younger grandson (10) is ready for the task. We shall see. Otherwise, I'll have to cough up 2-3x the "grandson rate" to have one of the yard services take it on.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon May 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Good for you for making the choice to have the knee done. And I'm impressed with your research on the brand you want.

Yes - twice a week mowing here in Oregon also. The year we have a yard company coming to help us. So far they have been coming once or twice a month. But that may need to be ramped up to once a week. But as my energy is rebuilding I should be able to step up and help. No grandsons to help out here.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon May 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Rig here’s hoping no delay and that your 10 yo GS is up to the task of yard work. I hear ya on the expense to have that done.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 pm

...And I'm impressed with your research on the brand you want.
Thank you Tomi. 3 yrs ago when I started looking I was really concerned with my bow legs and how things would go. I got lucky with a friend who had a Conformis knee and was really happy with it compared to her other knee, which had a conventional TKR with an "off the shelf" joint. She gave me the reference and I checked them out. Right now, I'd say anyone getting a TKR should really consider them, the custom nature of the product to fit your anatomy seems to make a big difference. And soon I will have two straight legs!

I'm hoping OTB will post some about his recent TKR. I'm interested in what route he went and how it is going.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 am

Week 15 update Weight: 243 Down 3.0 Very Happy
Another very good week on the weight front, this one was more than I expected. I'm quite happy with the weight loss but really expect to see it moderate now after three weeks of large losses. But if It continues, I won't be complaining.

The CT scan went as expected, but had a longer wait this year, they were running behind by about 15 minutes.  Now I get to wait for Conformis to do their thing. In the meantime, I'm working the exercise bike harder and trying to do some other leg exercises to build strength in my legs to help with post op recovery.

On the food front, I'm still focusing on eating only when hungry. This has led me to have a couple of days this week when I didn't have my normal noon-ish breakfast, instead of my normal 3 egg frittata I had a few nuts. On the down side, we killed off a container of ice cream that had been in the 'fridge for a good while.

All else is pretty much situation normal.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun May 20, 2018 12:52 pm

wk 13/2.5 wk 14/3.0 wk 15/3.0

Looks like you're on a roll. Very Happy

Doesn't sound like the ice cream did that much damage...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun May 20, 2018 6:49 pm

Rig, awesome weight report. All of this will definitely help you post op. Glad your working those muscles too.

Keep rockin’ it!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sun May 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Awesome progress!

Sent from Topic'it App

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Good job, Rig. Keep it going.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon May 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Nice! Great progress!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Well done! Maybe your body has come to realize you mean business and is letting go at last.

My husband has gone from thinking put off the TKR for as long as possible, to maybe get one soon and then be as healthy and active as possible so he can do another surgery if needed in 15-20 years... I'll be insisting he looking into the Conformis joints.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 am

M2M: I wish I had done my right knee long before I did. Recovery is a PITA, but it is a year now and I'm much more mobile on it than previously. FWIW, I got a PM from OTB, and his recent TKR was with a Stryker joint. His recovery seems to be going quite well.

Ladies: thanks for the cheering section!
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 22, 2018 3:25 pm

On the down side, we killed off a container of ice cream that had been in the 'fridge for a good while.

Hey, even a container of ice-cream needs to be rescued once in a while. Wink

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun May 27, 2018 9:50 am

Week 16 update Weight: 241.25 Down 1.75 Smile
Another good week. I hope for the weight to continue to drop but at something more like 1 to 2 lbs/week like this week's results. My experience says that the very rapid loss I've had the last few weeks will lead to a rebound or a long plateau, where a more modest 1 lb loss is likely to be sustainable for a longer period

Lots of exercise this week. Between exercise bike, grass mowing and house maintenance stuff I'm staying active. I have done very little with my weights this week, but the other exercise I've been getting has left me really pooped out by the end of the day. And this has, in turn, led to my sleeping like a log. In particular, I've been working the Air-Dyne, building time and distance while maintaining the Maffetone target hear rate of 180-age, which puts me at a target rate of 110. This seems insanely low, It seems I can get to 110 by just thinking about exercise, but I've been listening to the Primal Endurance podcasts and will stick to this guideline. It does seem that I'm seeing the speed at which I can ride while not exceeding 110 to be very slowly creeping higher. In the “glory days” of my youth I was a very good athlete and can still remember what being in great shape felt like, so I know that I have a long way to go to be in good shape, even discounting the, ahem, “slightly older” self.

Food was moderately good. I had two days of falling way off plan, one with a big load of pasta from Fazolli's, I'm a big fan of their spicy penne with sausage. The day before I ventured to the BK steak palace and had a double meat Whopper with cheese. Both days were at the end of physically exhausting days, so I don't think I hurt my progress.

Got a call from my orthopedic surgeon's office. Conformis has checked in with a delivery date for my knee joint and we have set the TKR surgery date for July 19. I won't hear anything further until mid June when I'll get a packet of information and “to do” items from the hospital.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun May 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Rig - congrats on the loss. And you are correct, 1-2 lbs a week is the recommended loss level. I’m sure the first couple of weeks had some water involved in the number.

Great job keeping active and getting yourself in the best shape possible for the TKR.

Good you have a date now, gives you a good target for performance pre-surg
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 29, 2018 7:42 am

You are doing great. I'm envious of your progress.

Happy to hear there is a "date" for surgery. Sorry it is mid-summer. Glad it is to happen though.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 29, 2018 3:05 pm

One to two pounds a week is a good, sustainable loss. But, yes, when you are in the throws of it you sure think you should be losing more. I've been there - am there.

Good news on the knee surgery date. What is the recovery time for that?

When you say you had pasta was it wheat-based or gluten-free? I only ask because I'm always curious if those who supposedly have no gluten issues still react to a food like wheat that their bodies are no unaccustomed to processing.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue May 29, 2018 4:36 pm

ONTARIO wrote:
When you say you had pasta was it wheat-based or gluten-free? I only ask because I'm always curious if those who supposedly have no gluten issues still react to a food like wheat that their bodies are no unaccustomed to processing.  

I can respond to that question Smile YES - my body responds to gluten (even though I'm not celiac, Crohn's or anything). I will have looser stools the following day - and a lovely weight gain of 3-6 pounds that hangs around for 3-6 days. Simple carbs cause water retention. It sucks.

RigD --- Nice progress and YEAH for the scheduled TKR ! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue May 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Great job on your eating plan.

In the original days for me, off the rail was not that much of a problem. And I remember that and intend to stick as close as I can.

Glad the weight is finally moving for you. When you stalled early I noticed as I believe that is why I seem to give up. You didn't and deserve much credit, IMO.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue May 29, 2018 8:48 pm

The pasta was plain old wheat based pasta. I like the spicy sausage penne pasta at Fazolli's (italian fast food type place) and as far as I know, they don't have a gluten free option. It doesn't seem to bother me, nor do any other foods with gluten. My younger daughter has a very severe celiac issue but nobody else in the family has any problems. BUT last night the wife whipped up some heavy cream, spiced with a variety of things and served over strawberries. She killed the container we had so there was a lot of it and it must have had a ton of sugar in it. I paid the price for that, my belly was in bad shape all night. That must have been it, the 1 1/2 lbs of hamburgers (no buns) I charcoal grilled and ate couldn't possibly have been the problem. Smile

On the knee front: Last year is my recovery model, I had the surgery on Thursday around noon. The hospital had me up and walking that night, up and down the hall for a short period, off the restricted fluid diet on Friday morning in time for a big 3 egg omelette. Several rounds of mobility stuff and then home Friday evening. I had in-home physical therapy for several months. I used a walker for several weeks, and moved to a cane for a few days. With the walker, I found I kept forgetting to use it after a couple of weeks while indoors. I'd have to check my MDA thread but I think I was pretty much up and at em after about 2 months. It took much longer, around 6 months or so to feel like I was "back to normal." My leg was swollen and discolored for a long time, the swelling below the knee has only gone down in the last month or so. I'd say that it took pretty much a full year to pretty much forget that I had the operation and just live on it.

PP: I'm nothing if not ornery and obstinate, and I really believe that one big key to finding Primal success is to be very persistent. I had such good success in 2012 with Primal, I was pretty sure the weight loss would eventually come around. My 2012 run from 270 to around 210 featured several "runs" like I'm having, with big losses for a few weeks, immediately followed by long lasting plateaus. I'm hoping the plateaus don't show up, but after my rocky start I wouldn't bet on it.

Thanks to all for words of encouragement. It is appreciated.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:26 am

May Monthly Update

A good month. My weight bounced up dramatically after my last week(16) update, and is slowly coming back down. The big carb splurge I mentioned in the Wk 16 update seems to be the culprit, I seem to be very susceptible to water gains after a carb splurge as Sharperhawk mentioned on another thread. At any rate, since last weekend, my belly has been and still is bloated and my digestion continues to be off. OK, lesson re-learned and maybe will stick this time.

The bloating accounts for no loss in waist dimension. I look and feel significantly fatter than I did just a week ago, and believe my waist measurement should have shown a good loss. My shorts that were comfortable last week are too tight today.  I mentioned previously that after my TKR last year, I've had my right leg below the knee be swollen and that essentially overnight, it seemed to have shrunk. This is reflected in the 1 inch loss. I'm hoping to now see some decent shrinkage in my waist/hips/thigh measurements over the next few months.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:22 pm

Nice spread sheet! Smile

I hear you on the carb (grain) bloat problem. I ate pizza and gained 4 pounds over night. It will take a full week to shed it.

Five pounds is a good lose for a month! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next