Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Rig D on Sun May 06, 2018 10:01 am

Week 13 update Weight: 249 down 2.5
Down 2.5 for the week, no change since Tuesday. A good week, especially since I still am feeling heavy, which is a good sign that more loss is coming.

I love that cortisone shot! I got a shot in the left knee joint Tuesday and it felt better immediately, and better still the next day. The shot has virtually eliminated all knee discomfort and the knee feels better than it has in a couple of years. It is too bad that it is only a short term panacea, long term use will result in joint deterioration. My left foot is still feeling better, it is almost back to normal.

I've started the clean-out process for my follow up colonoscopy on Wednesday. Avoiding all nuts, corn, popcorn, tomato skins, and iceberg lettuce. Some small sacrifice, I usually eat some nuts each day, and tomato slices and lettuce are normally in my salads. Tuesday is clear liquid day, and consuming lots of the “purge” mix of gatorade & laxatives.

We are having a decent spring now that is finally here. With some warm temps, some mostly sunny days and rain every 2 or three days, the grass is growing like crazy.

For anyone interested in my personal history with my knee issues, and the selection of my knee surgeon and the use of the Conformis knee joint, please take a look at my blog on MDA.  My first post discusses Conformis, the second is my history leading up to the surgery

Knee Joint Replacement
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun May 06, 2018 10:55 am

Rig, this is the best I’ve heard you sound in a while!

Congrats on the awesome loss. There you go, your body finally is catching up. And now that you can walk a bit pain free for a while, it should really start picking up.

Yuck about the colonoscopy. However, glad you are making sure all things are good. Good job starting to eliminate things today in prep for it.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed May 09, 2018 2:25 am

Good luck on the colonoscopy. You must feel squeaky clean right now... and probably lost a few extra pounds.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed May 09, 2018 5:25 am

You would think so wouldn't you? But no, my digestive track feels pretty lousy and somewhat bloated right now. The 4 lbs of drink mix (Gatorade + laxative) is sitting badly in my belly and there is a lot of shifting and rumbling going on in there. As I write this it is 5:15AM and I've got one more 8oz glass of the mix to go in the last round of 1 8 oz glass every 15 minutes, then hopefully it will all work its way through.
I'm looking forward to this being over and heading to First Watch for a big omelette to celebrate it being done.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 09, 2018 8:31 am

You got this Rig. Hopefully as I type you are completeing the entire process. Enjoy that breakfast after.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Back home. Colonoscopy went smoothly, they found 2 small polyps and I'm s'posed to go for another one in 5 yrs. Procedure at 10:30, in and out, home before noon. Excellent chorizo omelette to celebrate, and a little shopping afterwords. My digestive system is still fubar, but the omelette seems to be settling things down some.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed May 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Oh, those procedures are so yucky. Even though they put us under and we sleep through the whole thing - its still just unpleasant. I'm due for another one soon. I think it's been 9 years. Hope the gut bounces back quickly.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Wed May 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Rig, I'm envious of your quick procedure. I took a friend for her colonoscopy yesterday. She had to check in by 12:30 for a 1:30 procedure. We didn't get home until after 3.

Not to mention, my plan was to walk outside while she was "busy", but the powers that be said I couldn't leave the waiting room. So I sat for hours while watching their medical talk TV, repeatedly, tell me that sitting for more than 2 hours is bad for your health.

Oh well, at least my friend's scope came out fine as she had colon cancer a few years ago.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed May 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Yes, the yuck feeling is hanging in there. I'm also very tired, not sure if that is procedure or just a very short night's sleep last night.
Marcadav - Glad your friend's scope came back good, 'specially since she had the big C. The sitting is a bad thing, you could have irritated everyone else in the room by simply pacing back n forth. Smile
Fwiw on the the waiting: My wife took a large thermos of coffee, a book, and an mp3 to listen to. Good thing, they were showing old B&W Perry Mason reruns in the waiting room when I was called in.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Rig happy to hear your colonoscopy is done and you can move forward. Hopefully soon your tummy will completely settle.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 pm

TVs should be outlawed in waiting rooms.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu May 10, 2018 12:40 am

The Walrus wrote:TVs should be outlawed in waiting rooms.  

Yes! Bring a book or player for private listening.

Glad your procedure went OK, Rig!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 am

+1 on the procedure going smoothly. Hope your night was a better one knowing all was OK.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu May 10, 2018 11:49 am

Thank you ladies. A good night's sleep and my system feels back to normal this AM. Food y'day was a wipeout. The omelette was accompanied by grits, home fries, and toast. Dinner was a 1/2 lb BBQ beef brisket sandwich, potato salad and baked beans. Back to normal diet today.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Glad you can still do beans. I can’t and especially on a clean gut, that would have had me in severe pain. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu May 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Glad you can still do beans.  I can’t and especially on a clean gut, that would have had me in severe pain. Smile

beans are my enemy.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu May 10, 2018 2:42 pm

I guess I'm pretty fortunate that I can eat almost anything without any real gut issues. I've always liked my foods quite spicy and hot. I am a fan of tex-mex and a lot of Indian dishes for that reason. I use Tabasco or equivalent for salad dressing. I have never had any issue with beans of all kinds, other than preferring my chili to not have them.
Many years back my MIL gave us a small jar of purply-green peppers she had grown in her yard. I tried one and thought my mouth would fall off and climb into the freezer. I took the rest of the jar to work and gave it to an Indian co-worker. He opened the jar, took one out and ate it right in front of me. No reaction whatsoever, and after eating it he said "that's pretty good." He didn't even break a sweat.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu May 10, 2018 5:06 pm

My husband was born in India (missionary family) and was raised on curries and vindaloo, and every thing spicy HOT! When we were in high school and his dad would make curry, the warning was always "don't lick your lips while your eating!" Fiercely HOT! But oh so good. Since my gut issues started I haven't been able to handle to super hot curries. But he eats them like its nothing. He might get a sweat on his scalp (he's bald) but that about it. Smile He and his brothers (3 older than him), and his nephews are always having "can you handle this" contests with peppers. His oldest bro likes to grow Ghost Peppers.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri May 11, 2018 8:09 am

Rig while I can’t do bean, I too am a hot and spicy kind of girl. It’s hard having my dad here as he’s not spicy at all. The food tastes to bland, I have to add hot sauce of some sort.

Found some ghost pepper cinnamon in FL one year. OMG that on sweet potato baked as fries. Pure heaven, but when your putting on before baking it will choke you from the fumes. Went back to get more last year and they no longer carry it. Sad

I too love Tex-mex and curries. Have a jalapeno or cayenne is my breakfast hash daily.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 am

Tomi, I laughed at the "can you handle this" contests -- sounds like something my two sons would do, perhaps just a guy thing. Too bad you can't handle the spicy stuff, your husband probably has some interesting ways to prepare food that would be really good, assuming he was in India long enough to learn that type of thing. The ghost pepper crops your BIL grows no doubt get shared, I've never tried to eat one of those unless significantly diluted in a recipe.
NM, ghost pepper cinnamon really sounds intriguing. I've never seen anything like that. I bought a product at Aldi called Tajin classic seasoning, which has chili peppers, sea salt and lime juice in it. It's pretty good but the flavoring isn't to my top liking. My preferred salty product is Tony Chachere's More Spice Creole Seasoning and I really like it. The label says "great on everything" and I agree.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri May 11, 2018 11:38 am

Rig, I'm envious of your quick procedure. I took a friend for her colonoscopy yesterday. She had to check in by 12:30 for a 1:30 procedure. We didn't get home until after 3.
Marcadav, our timings were pretty much same, I had to be there at 9:30 for my 10:30 procedure, mostly consumed in just sitting around and finishing off health survey stuff with the nurse. then home shortly before noon (we only live about 5 minutes from med office)
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri May 11, 2018 8:03 pm

I used to love hot and spicy, but I've lost my taste for it, not really sure why.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat May 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Rig the ghost pepper cinnamon was great, but having trouble locating. Guess I’ll have to try and make my own

I’ll have to see if my Aldi had that Tajín. Sounds like I’d like that combo. I’ll have to look for the creole seasoning as well

I use a lot of Emerils Essence (self combined from his recipe) And a spice a friend brought me from Chile where she now lives.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun May 13, 2018 9:40 am

Week 14 update Weight: 246 down 3.0 Very Happy
A really good week weight wise. On the food front, it was a strange week, with the “all fluids, 4 lbs of gatorade” day, followed by a pig-out day. On Friday, had a decent sized steak dinner at a church event (with potato, salad, and slice of cake). Last night I made a blue corn chip ground beef nacho with lots of ground beef and cheese. Other than the pig out day post colonoscopy, I've applied a stronger focus on “eat when hungry, stop when not hungry”. I'm having to work hard on my "won't power" to stop.

On the exercise front, I'm leery of doing too much walking with my left knee being as it is. The knee feels much better after my cortisone shot. But unlike my experience with my right knee, I can definitely tell when I've pushed the limit. We are entering the period of 2 x week lawn mowing, so that is going to pretty much be my walking. I've started a renewed focus on my Air-Dyne riding and have been working to gradually build up my time and distance. Not much stress on the knee on the bike, and it allows me to work arms in addition to legs.

One interesting thing that has happened this week is related to my TKR last year. My right leg from knee down has been swollen ever since. Before that surgery, my right calf was a little smaller than my left, every measurement this year has shown it to be substantially larger, around 18 inches, and it has felt “tight”. I think this month end will show that it has gone down substantially, the tight feeling is pretty much gone and it's appearance would indicate that most, if not all the swelling is gone.

I go in Monday evening for the CT scan for my left knee, it will be quick and easy, in and out in about 15 minutes so no big deal. I expect about a 2 month delay after that for Conformis to make the new knee, I'm assuming their backlog is similar to what it was last year. Once the doc has a committed delivery date from them, we will get the surgery scheduled.

After the last two weeks really good numbers, I'm expecting a slow down, as the bod isn't feeling fat and heavy like it was before. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun May 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Congrats on the awesome loss this week. I know it was a weird one, but you came out on top.

Good plan with the airdyne as it will help build up your thighs esp the one due for surgery and that will definitely help with post recovery.

Hopefully conformis will be a bit quicker this year. That would be nice.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next