Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Lovebird on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:31 am

I thought I had missed the week 10 update, but it seems there isn't one... so not much change I guess... hope the skin doc had good news for you. Sorry to hear of the knee issues getting worse, it's a good thing the other one went so well and you recovered fast.

You could add the dandelion leaves to your salad btw... good for liver etc. Not that I ever got to eat the goutweed/ground elder in Spring mind you... which would be good for keeping them in check.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:21 am

LB, no week 10 report was made, too bummed out to post it.
The upshot: No change in exercise, no change in food intake, during the week I gained every day, peaked at 254.  No objective reason for this to happen, but it did, and yes I was quite bloated. Tomorrow I'll post for week 11.
---
I got to the dermatologist's office for 9 am appt. Dr. K the surgeon was only a few minutes late in getting me in. He's a very fast worker, I was in the chair, nurse's q&a, prep, and initial cut done and out to wait by 9:30. I was hoping for no cut, but that wasn't in the cards. So went to the waiting area with all the other folks with big white bandages on neck, face, arms to wait for the lab results. In my prior 2 visits to Dr. K the wait was about an hour. The lab was quite slow, it was after 11 when I was called back in. All the cancer cells gone and a clean bill of health. He stitched me up, always slower than the cut process, and he and the nurse applied a 2 layer bandage and we were on our way for breaklunch by 11:45.  The large bulky outer bandage came off yesterday, the inner bandage is to remain in place for 10 days, and not supposed to get it wet. Will make face and hair cleaning difficult, but it's only 10 days.

Dr K has now completed the skin cancer sweep on me, squamos, basal cell carcinoma, and melanoma. He's a nice guy, but I sincerely hope to never see him again on a professional basis.
---
After leaving the doc, We tried out a new place for food, a paleo place called CoreLife. They essentially serve a number of variations on the MDA Big Ass Salad concept, bone broths, and non carbonated drinks (teas and lemonades)  They also serve cold brew coffee. No carbonated stuff at all.  I had the Thai Chicken bowl. It was quite good and pretty filling.  The setup is similar to Chipotle, where you go through a line and they assemble the food from ingredients on a "salad bar" arrangement. My wife had a small bowl, I had a large bowl, both had drinks and the cost was about $20. The dining area was kind of "cold" feeling, tables/chairs in a large high ceiling room. We'll visit again, we took a menu sheet with us and will probably do take out. I don't know how many of these places there are, but it is worth checking out if one is in your area.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:36 am

Glad the margins were clean. I understand about liking the doc, but not wanting to see him again, as I feel the same way about my surgeon.

Will have to look for CoreLife. The BAS concept is fairly popular in my neck of the woods. We have many Chipotle type places in the area.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:22 am

Could it probably be inflammation/stress related? Perhaps try a reset of some sorts to get things back on the rails again?

Rig D wrote:After leaving the doc, We tried out a new place for food, a paleo place called CoreLife. They essentially serve a number of variations on the MDA Big Ass Salad concept, bone broths, and non carbonated drinks (teas and lemonades)  They also serve cold brew coffee. No carbonated stuff at all.  I had the Thai Chicken bowl. It was quite good and pretty filling.

I don't know how many of these places there are, but it is worth checking out if one is in your area.

CoreLife Eatery: https://corelifeeatery.com/locations/

Just be careful, it's not exactly paleo/primal... aside from the greens/proteins there's tofu/whole grains/legumes/quinoa/soy etc.

Looks very tasty. Smile Contains soy though (not that I'm that strict, especially when eating out, but it's something to be aware of, especially when determined to lose a few (or more)).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:29 am

Glad you got the all clear. Both my parents have had cancerous things on their noses that were removed without issues. One had squamous cell and the other had basal cell.

CoreLife sounds great! Maybe they will open some in VA in the future.

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:05 pm

Rig congrats on now being all clear with the skin stuff.

Hopefully the weight thing will figure itself out sooner than later.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Rig I totally understand your frustration with no movement.
You know that I have started and discontinued a number of times and it is usually because things are not going south over a long term commitment when, in the past, loss did show up within 10 days. Then I give up, gain more weight, feel awful about my decisions and get ready to start again.

Stay with it!!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Week 11 update Weight: 252
As noted above, my week 10 was a total disaster, no idea what happened. So this week was at 252, down some from end of last week, but a dramatic failure in overall progress. So, time to reboot and soldier on, although this week and next will present some challenges.

My nose and its 10 day bandage are doing well. I had to take some Tylenol on day 1, but have not had any issues other than feeling slight pressure like wearing off-center glasses since. I do find that I am frequently reaching up to adjust the non-existent glasses that are causing my slight discomfort. But the good news is that I don't seem to be developing a black eye, which the nurse said was a probable outcome, and the literature they gave me also indicated was likely.

Busy and exciting weekend coming up. My younger daughter L is coming in Wed. night from Portland for the Saturday wedding of one of her “gang of 5” girls from high school. I'm on pick up and delivery duty to get a bunch of stuff to the reception. Both wedding and reception are in Cincinnati, approx 1 hr south. The gang of 5 were best friends in high school, all at the top of the class academically and all very impressive young women. Through them, we met and become friends with their parents, all top-flight people. “The girls” are now disbursed all over the US & Europe, and they all manage to be there for each other's weddings and other big events. They are now in their early 30's and I'm so impressed that their HS friendship has not just held but has grown stronger over time.

Spring seems to finally be here. I'm psyching up for round 2 of lawn mowing. 1st mow and lawn/weed fertilizer down last week. On that first mowing my left knee bothered me a fair amount, so anticipate that being a problem. I'm scheduled to see the knee doc on 5/4 and get the news on what's going on with it. As a coincidence, 5/4 is the one year anniversary of my right knee replacement surgery date. On 5/2 I'm also scheduled for a follow up colonoscopy. I had one a little more than 3 yrs back,(my age 50 colonoscopy, 17 years late) they found polyps and want me in for a re-check.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Perusing my old Humor folder and found this, seems very on-target
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:57 pm

Rig so sorry about the weight issues.

You DD’s friends sound like a great group. So nice you can help out with wedding prep too.

Sounds like the first week of May will be busy for you. Hopefully you can get some encouraging news on the knee and the colon check out ok.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Lovely about DD’s friend group and the connections maintained. Should be fun to help out.

Are you anticipating the need for the other knee to require replacement at some point?
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:25 am

The info about your daughter and her lifelong friends makes me smile.  

I am lucky enough to have a group like that.  Mostly we live near enough for lunch gatherings every 6 weeks or so.  I am sure it will be fun to traipse them around.  I can hear the giggling now. Girls! Smile

I am considering a restart on primal, once again, even after learning your slow losing difficulties---which actually mirror my own false starts.  I have decided that instead of the goal of losing weight it will be the goal of health.  

I see you are sticking with it.  Good deal.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 am

GS: Yes, I expect to be told my left knee is shot and needs to be replaced asap. In the last year it has deteriorated at a scary pace. I have arthritis in it and it has had many years carrying an extra load compensating for my gradually failing right knee. I mowed the yard y'day and it hurt badly by the time I was done. My replaced right knee is now 1 yr old and doing well. I at least have a good handle on expectations for the surgery and recovery, I was very pleased with Doc, hospital, and physical therapist last go round.

PP:Maintaining a primal food plan is pretty important for me. I remember all too well how I felt in my pre-primal years when I nearly reached 300 lbs and really don't want to go there ever again. If you are at all like me, you'll at least feel much better on a primal food program, even if the scale doesn't move downward. So I will offer my encouragement to climb back on the program. With as much stuff as you do on a routine basis, you should be just fine on the getting exercise aspect of primal.

NM: Yes the first week of May will be much more intense than I'm accustomed to. My life is a pretty stable routine most of the time. Yes, the weight thing is quite irritating, but I hope it will eventually get untracked. Slow will be fine, I'm not in a huge rush and with the knee issue I expect it be a slow slog from here on. The time for a quick loss is probably over for the rest of the year.

The girl group is located in Dayton, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Portland, and Zurich Switzerland. Life long? Yes, L became best buds with one of them in her first year at pre-school and she is the one getting married on the 28th. L's experience with them is much different than my experience. I graduated from high school and within a month we moved from Charlotte to Tampa. I never heard or saw most of the HS crew again, although I was in college with one and we lost contact after college. Back in the "olden days" we didn't have the tools available today to keep in touch. At any rate, when my HS class had it's 40 yr anniversary in 2005 I made contact with a number of old friends, some of whom I keep in touch with via email. Funny, most of us are not using F-book, twitter,etc.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:37 pm

You determination to stay the course is impressive! Smile Good for you! I totally understand the lack of progress on the scale - regardless of a stellar effort. Sometimes it just seems to unfair. Most of my female friends just go on diet XYZ for a few weeks and take off "those extra few pounds". Makes me angry when it comes so easy for some - but so hard for me! But - persevere we must! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:24 am

Week 12 update Weight: 251.5 down .5
A big moral win, if only a modest win on the number front. Daughter L arrived on Wednesday night.  Thursday we had L, son T and 2 grandson's over for “Mom's Pasghetti”, at least for me this is a guaranteed pig-out. We never have spaghetti anymore, it is a kids' fav meal but is worth one notch on the belt. Yesterday was the big wedding, a beautiful ceremony in Bellarmine chapel on Xavier Univ. campus, followed by a big reception/dinner/party afterwards with an open bar and tons of food. We started the day doing cookies/cakes/various dessert pick ups at noon and delivering them to the reception site. We were busy from then until we left the reception party at 10:30 for the hour drive home.

Despite 2 “big food” days I managed to lose a little, and, I think a big plus is I really am feeling fat the last couple of days, I haven't felt truly heavy and fat for some time. I hope that portends some weight loss. I've got 2 more “big food” days this week, today we are having Mexican chicken and tomorrow will be steaks on the outdoor grill, both with L and her guy prior to their departure for Portland very early on Tues. morning.

My left knee continues to be a big bothersome pain. I've now developed an additional pain on the left side, this one in my  foot, right in the center on the top, somehow I think I strained some ligaments in there. It really hurts to step, pushing off with the left foot.

It is cold today, low 30's overnight. However, spring is finally here. We have had some pretty days, more to come this week, with temps in the high 50's up to low 70 projected for one day.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Congrats on the moral win!

Sounds like a good time was had by all with the Wedding an you got to spend time with your DD too. Double bonus.

It also sounds like that knee has got to go. I’d hate to see you mess up the new one limping to take weight off the bad one. I know your desire to get a few pounds down first, but maybe having that new knee would get rid of a lot of inflammation and you’d lose a few by default.

I was not happy this morning taking the dog out in my winter coat, hat and gloves. Not sure it’s truly Spring yet, but later in the week should be.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed May 02, 2018 12:18 pm

April Monthly Update

I seem to be getting back on track after my disastrous week 10. I'm up 1 for the month, but down over 2 since the weekend. Doubly good because I've gotten through daughter L's visit and lots of good food over most of the week she was here and actually lost some weight. So I'm optimistic about how my body is acting.  My tape measurements are unimpressive for the month, largely within my “no change, margin of error” for using the tape.

We got L off to the airport ok for her 6 AM departure yesterday. It was an truly nice visit.  Ha, got a solid 4.5 hours sleep Mon night after a nice evening at son T's house featuring a more than generous serving of marinated steak, mashed 'taters, and excellent salad. That was after my wife's great Mexican chicken & rice the night before. So, I got through my two “big food” days and lost weight in the process. Go figure.

Older daughter K gave us an Instant Pot last year and we have not done too well in figuring it out. I think we've finally mastered it, we tried just doing a big batch of brown rice and nailed it on the first try. I find that most recipes for the IP just don't tell you everything, they either omit whether to use low or high pressure, or don't tell you which temp setting to use. Most irritating. The included IP recipe booklets give you two ways to do rice. One tells you to set the time for 4 minutes. After an internet search for recipes, I used one that called for 22 minutes and it turned out perfectly.  

I cut the grass yesterday, a difficult proposition with my current issues with left knee and newly acquired left foot pain. I had to do it in stages, taking a pain relief break after each “third” of the yard. I actually broke down and took some aspirin and it did help.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed May 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Rig, so glad the biopsy/cancer scare thing is over. I bet that is a load off of your mind. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the stress of that whole ordeal caused your weight gain during that period of time. And as for your weight loss after two good food days - that often happens to me, as well. The body is a strange beast.

Where are you with regard to the knee problem? Are you in line for a replacement?

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed May 02, 2018 4:27 pm

^ Appt. with orthopedic surgeon early Friday 5/4. Will know soon.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Rig, as much as you want to avoid another knee replacement, I have to say I think it is over due. Hopefully he will be able to get this one done quickly. I know there is build time for the knee, but since you had the last one just a year ago, hopefully most things will be complete this go round.

Happy to hear your body is starting to budge a bit. It will happen.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri May 04, 2018 11:30 am

Today is the one year anniversary of my right knee joint replacement surgery (May the Fourth be with you). To "celebrate," I saw the knee surgeon this morning and he confirmed that I need a knee replacement for my left knee. His comment was that the left knee was not as bad as my right one was a year ago, but it is still bad, with arthritis and bone on bone.

The process now is for his office to contact insurance and get the OK on doing the CT scan of the knee. My expected timeline is 3 weeks to get the insurance approval and schedule/do the CT scan. Then 6 weeks or so for Conformis to make the knee, and about a 2 week buffer in there to schedule the surgery once the joint delivery date is confirmed. So surgery sometime before end of July.

In the meantime, he gave me a cortisone injection in the knee, that definitely helps with the pain, but it is something you don't want to do on a routine basis.

My foot issue is slowly getting better, so with that healing and the cortisone shot I'm back to walking almost normally.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Well, at least there is a plan in place. Glad you have had a tad of relief.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri May 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Glad you have a plan with a timeline. Sending positive thoughts that it all goes as expected.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri May 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Congrats on the bit of weight progress and on getting started towards the replacement knee. The pain may be part of your slow weight loss as a body that is hurting is inflamed and inflammation adds weight.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun May 06, 2018 9:38 am

Rig I’m so glad that things are moving in a good direction for your knee. I’m sure once it’s all said and done, it will be well worth it, but I know you’re not looking forward to the recovery. However, you’ve gone through it once, so you def know what to expect.

Since you’ve got the cortisone, try to get out and enjoy a bit of the weather before end of July. Esp since we are now getting something that resembles Spring.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next