Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Rig D on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:16 pm

It is Feb 1 2018 and today I'm launching a new campaign to return my weight to my Primal best weight of between 210 and 215 and improving my overall “how do I feel” index. I'm going to approach this the same way I did in 2012 when first going Primal: follow the basic Primal eating plan but not tracking macros or calories, just eating recommended foods. I will be upping my exercise, primarily walking, and using my Air-Dyne on inclement weather days. I have some light dumbbells I'll be using to work my upper body, but no room in the house to use my heavier barbell and weights. I'll also be doing a series of gut and back exercises, most will use an exercise ball. The ball exercises were prescribed by my chiropractor years back to help with some lower back issues I had and I've found them very beneficial. I'll be posting to this journal probably once a week.

Synopsis of where I am and how I got here: I'm age 70, male, currently around 5'8” tall.  I've lost almost 2” in height over the years. My weight this morning is 250. When I originally found Primal in 2012, I was around 270, down from my all time peak weight of 300 a few years before. My original weight objective was to get to around 200, which was my weight playing football in high school. By following the Primal Blueprint  I dropped about a pound a week, eventually getting to 210, and found that I was beginning to feel worse the more I lost, so upped my food intake and stabilized at around 215.

Starting in the latter part of 2015, my right knee began to give me significant trouble. I had the cartilage removed  in the early 70's after an athletic injury. It had been steadily weakening and forcing reductions in my athletics over the years, and was seriously beginning to erode in function. I decided to have a knee joint replacement done in 2016, but ran into all sorts of problems and issues with docs, insurance, what have you, and backed away from it. So during 2016 I began to add on additional weight, ending the year at about 235.

2017 was a dismal weight failure. By Feb I was up over 240.  I had re-configured insurance and had done more research, and had the knee replaced very successfully in March, with my surgeon telling me my knee was in really bad shape. During the recovery period, I was fairly weight stable and worked to rebuild flexibility and strength in my knee but not doing much else. I found myself falling away from Primal eating and consuming way too many “comfort foods.” So into the Thanksgiving to New Year period, I was eating poorly, not getting much exercise and definitely not losing weight. The holiday season was its usual challenge, and I lost.

In early January, I got a really bad chest cold, fortunately no flu symptoms involved. This was the first time I've been sick since going Primal and it has been a real struggle. Pre-2012 I had a problem with annually recurring bronchitis, and I think I'm still a tad susceptible and this impaired my recovery. I found my appetite swinging wildly, including a three day stretch where my food consumption was a handful of almonds and a small bowl of blue corn chips. Over this three day period I gained nearly 4 pounds. As of today, I still have a pretty bad cough, but am definitely almost over it and am ready to swing back into a new campaign on the health front.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Well, well, so you did finally start a journal! I think I'm going to like reading your journal. Smile

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi RigD, may your campaign get off to a great start and I look forward to reading about it.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Like so many of us, that darn fall off the primal wagon. Glad you jumped back on. Wishing you success as I wish for myself.

Happy 2018
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Sounds like you have some challenges ahead, but am confident that you are up to the challenge. Look forward to reading about what you are up to (down to?!) - your success.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Rig, welcome back to clean eating. You’ve done it and know you can do it again. As you know my holiday gave me fidgets, so I’m definitely joining forces with you.

Can’t wait to read how well you are doing. Loved reading your knee replacement journal.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:43 am

I like your avatar. I'm sure it's a accurate reflection of your strive for health.
No doubt once back on track, the weight and strength will fall in line.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 am

HFF, the avatar derives from my football playing days in high school and college intramurals as a lineman on offense & defense, where rhino aptly depicted my style of play. It was further complemented by playing mostly without my contact lenses, which kept popping out of my eyes and getting lost on the field, and not being able to see much except the guy opposite me.

It also seems to be a pretty good reflection of how I approach most things. Once in motion, I'm pretty hard to re-direct. I'm pretty much focused on specific objectives, and pretty bull-headed. It also fits my self-coined family motto of "You never hurt one of us by hitting us on the head."
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Rig D wrote:It also fits my self-coined family motto of "You never hurt one of us by hitting us on the head."

Now that's a family motto!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Smile Yes, but it is better than the original family motto. My late uncle did a fair amount of research on family history, and swore that back in Scotland our motto was "Learn to Suffer."
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Yes, your new motto is much better than the old
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 am

"Learn to Suffer" Very Happy

Looking forward to reading your journal.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Will be going off-plan tonight (Tuesday). My older son and his new girlfriend have invited me to $1.00 Taco night at our favorite Mexican restaurant. It appears they are quite serious in their fairly new relationship and I want to get to know her better, only been around her briefly and so far I think the two are a great couple. Both are mid 30's,divorced, 2 kids each and everyone seems to really like everyone else. It will be just me, my wife is working tonight so I'll be bringing home a Taco Salad for her. My big diet effort will be to avoid the traditional brewskis and go easy on the tortilla chips. It will be a challenge.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Ooohh....tacos! Very Happy That sounds delicious..... (we need an emoticon that drools, by the way)

Have fun meeting the new, and potentially future, daughter-in-law. A few nachos isn't going to kill you. Really, I promise. Laughing And eat a few tacos for me.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Hope the night is nice and as you get to know her better you still feel she is nice and a good fit for your DS. Enjoy the tacos
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:11 am

Things fell apart last night, the weatherman decided to predict a bunch of snow and ice coming in overnight so we had a last minute cancel as she decided the hour+ drive from the west side of Cincy and back was more than she wanted to face. Well, we have promised them a dinner and game night here at the house so we'll try and make it happen soon.

Did have a nice catch up dinner with my son. Didn't do too badly, 4 beef tacos, iced tea in lieu of brews, split a basket of chips, and a lot of salsa. Quite tasty, but my stomach has been in "what the H are you doing to me" mode since about midnight. So won't be doing that again for an extended while.

Looking out the window this AM as daylight tries to show up, it appears we got about 3" of snow so far and it is supposed to continue till around noon with the wonderfully leaden skies that come with snow. Weather.com says we are currently 24F, feels 14F. I'll get to work off my dinner soon with my snow shovel. We're a corner lot with sidewalks on both streets, plus a short 2 car drive. It will take me over an hour. It may be "Great'n Dayton", but it will never be confused with paradise.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 am

So sorry your dinner fell apart, but her reluctance was understandable due to the forecast.

We got about an 1” this far, it’s raining now and making things icy, it good. Do take care with your shoveling.

I think, other than the pain it brings, it’s so cool that just after a week or so of clean eating out body already complains with things that are not so nice. If we could all just listen to our bodies, wed all be in better shape.

Stay warm today
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 am

Driveway is shoveled. Anywhere from 4-6 inches. Took almost an hour working pretty diligently with a few 1 min breaks scattered in. I'm not up to going full tilt at it yet. I'll wait to do sidewalks till after my wife's Dr appt. It's 24F, I wore a sweatshirt, sweater, and a nylon windbreaker and I'm sweating like I just walked out of the sauna. Will lose at least one layer for the sidewalks.

NM, normally I have an "iron gut" where nothing much bothers my digestive track. I'm not accustomed to this eating discomfort thing.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Snow envy...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:03 am

M2M: Snow envy? Please, come and take all the white(now mostly that lovely dirty gray) stuff off our streets!  The only white I want to see is the sand on the Florida Emerald Coast (AKA "Red neck Riviera") The sand on the beach between Panama City and Pensacola is so white and fine you can put it in a container on your table and people think it's sugar. And it squeaks when you walk on it.

Week 1 Update  Weight: 250, No change. Very irritating.
I was down about 3 pounds going into Tuesday night's taco dinner. Not sure what it was, the tacos or the salad I brought home for the wife and ended up eating some of, but my digestive system has been thoroughly out of whack ever since, my wife also has had problems. I'm feeling somewhat better today. At any rate, after Tuesday night, all my weight magically showed up on the scale Wed AM and is still there.

Diet: For the most part I'm doing pretty good. While I don't measure carbs/cals/etc. I've been good adhering to the right foods. I'm eating 2 x day, breakfast, normally a 3 egg frittata around noon, dinner is usually 8-10 PM.

Exercise: It is too crappy outside for walking, too bleeping cold in the garage for the exercise bike. On another thread there were a couple of posts on ankle weights, enough interest stirred that I rummaged around and found my old 2.5 lb (each leg) weights, and have been using them. I've tried heavier weights in the past, but find that my walking stride goes off when I go heavier, I stay pretty normal with the 2.5's. My biggest problem with them is that they are so old that the Velcro straps are pretty weak. I've been using a timer while at the PC standing desk and every 20 minutes I do a 3-5 minute break which features a 5 lap walk around the loop in our house, it's just a tad over 200 steps total.  I'm also using light dumbbells each day to work my arms and have restarted seriously doing my exercise ball stuff to work on my mid-section. I'm gradually building up repetitions. I'm having some muscle soreness in arms and gut. Some of that is due to the nearly 2 hour snow shoveling exercise this week, but it is getting better now that I've done stuff pretty steadily and my gut feels tighter.

My wife took starting photos with front and side view. I've elected not to post them, they were just too depressing to put up. Maybe when I get down where I want to be I'll put 'em up in a success story. I also have starting numbers recorded for neck, chest, stomach, thighs, and biceps. I will be checking these monthly and plan to post the results.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Rig, it’s only been a week, I would guess you’re retaining water not only from the tacos but also the increase with the exercise, which in its own way is inflammation. Do be so had on yourself. And I recommend only getting on once a month.

Last year on my extended W30, I only got on once a month, but o could tell it was the 3rd week when the weight for that month let go.

You got this
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 am

Hi Rig. Did you send out a newsletter to email addresses? One plopped in my junk mail yesterday.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am

perennialpam wrote:Hi Rig.  Did you send out a newsletter to email addresses?  One plopped in my junk mail yesterday.  

Don't think a journal is the right place to ask for this, so I'm gonna c/p it to a more general thread.

Can't think of any reason why any of us moderators would do that without discussion though... I have it turned off btw.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:31 am

Good luck with your 2018 health campaign Rig D! You know how and why, so this should be a walk in the park. Wink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:06 am

I'm also guessing that the weight is water weight as a result of the taco night. I know that when I eat odd things that don't agree with my gut then I put on about 5 pounds of water weight that can last up to a week. Hey, look at it this way - it's a reminder of why you normally eat the way you do.

I'm curious at to a report on your ankle weights success, thoughts, etc after a few weeks of using them. This is something I have considered. It would be great to have some first-hand info and experience.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next