Dyeing Hair

Go down

Dyeing Hair

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:56 pm

How many of you dye your hair?

I look at a lot of these paleo bloggers out there who are of age to have some grey hairs coming along and they seem to have pretty nice hair. It makes me wonder if any of them dye their hair. I struggle with that being of a paleo lifestyle but then I remember that we live in 2018 and I sort of let it go.

I am more of an au naturel type of gal. I have naturally blonde hair and some grey has snuck up in there over the past few years. I'm lucky in that it's not that noticeable since my grey is more white. It just makes me look a bit more blonde right now. But one day it's going to be more white than blonde.

So, ladies, do any of you dye your hair? What are your thoughts on it?

Last edited by ONTARIO on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dyeing Hair

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 pm

I partially dye mine in that I get highlights/lowlights to try and blend the grey. My hair was white blonde when I was little but turned darker as I grew, so my gray is quite noticeable.

I just go with what brings me joy. I do it about 2x a year so not a crazy amount
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm

I dye my hair when I get it cut. I'm 61 and would have very mousy gray hair if I didn't color it. Now, if/when my hair turns more white than mousy gray I think I might let it grow out naturally.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:02 pm

My hair is pretty much all snow white. I am not ready for that so I dye my hair every cut and highlight it about three times a year to give some depth and dimension to it.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:10 am

Oh, absolutely! I have lots of gray but it is not pretty, kinda yellowish, so I color my hair regularly. I am actually happier with it when I do it myself than salon color and I get better coverage of the gray.

My mom has lovely silvery hair so I have hope that eventually I can go through an attractive salt and pepper phase then transition to silver...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:04 am

I started highlighting my hair last summer after not dyeing it for many years.  It helps give my hair some texture.  Otherwise my hair is so fine it always falls flat and looks thin, even though it isn't.  So, now I dye my hair, but I don't need to use volumizer daily.  I figure it's a fair trade.

Last edited by nikitakolata on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
nikitakolata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 am

Ontario, can you please fix the title? I kinda feel sorry for your hair... Embarassed Coloring a.k.a. dyeing. Sorry.

My mom has lovely silvery hair so I have hope that eventually I can go through an attractive salt and pepper phase then transition to silver...

Middle sister went thru the s/p phase and ended up steel-gray Shocked despite my mom/dad having awesome white/silvery hair. It looks good on her though, especially with the pixie cut. Wink

I'm the oldest and have the same hair as Ontario describes, white sides that blend in with the blonde. Often get complimented on it for looking so healthy and natural. My youngest sis has the darkest hair of us and hates every gray one that shows, so she gets it dyed occasionally.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JCat on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:26 pm

I started going gray at 24, the year I got married. Coincidence? Smile It is quite gray now, with a white patch in the front. I was ready to stop coloring and then we had a surprise baby at 42. I knew I was going to be mistaken for the grandmother, so I went back to coloring. Now I'm adding very blonde highlights to gradually go gray. It too much work.

JCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KetoJulia on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Definitely color.. my hair is also naturally blond but started coming in white 20 years ago, here and there.. now more everywhere. I use Nutrisse and just part and color the roots. I can usually get by with only doing it every month and a half since I part my hair in the middle and can use that color spray they have out now. I detest having to color myself, but 9 bucks beats 75. Sigh.

Julia

Haha, just noticed you can see my most formidable white streak in my bangs in my avatar picture. FUNNY! But yeah, white.. yikes.
KetoJulia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Nope.  I have been blessed with thick dark hair, only now is it showing a few strands that I am calling silver and I am 53.  

Recently I had my hair cut for the wedding and the young man who styled it called exclaimed over how much money I must have saved over the years and called it a "lovely mousy brown".  Haha.

If I don't start colouring now, I will miss the opportunity because it will be too obvious.  I probably won't though, as I can't justify the expense and I don't mind the natural look anyway.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm

I will color my hair until the day I die. Very Happy It is a pain to cover the grays, though.

My Mom colored her hair into her late 60s. It never looked odd to me. She lost it due to chemo and it came back snowy white.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:17 pm

ONTARIO wrote:How many of you dye your hair?

I look at a lot of these paleo bloggers out there who are of age to have some grey hairs coming along and they seem to have pretty nice hair. It makes me wonder if any of them dye their hair. I struggle with that being of a paleo lifestyle but then I remember that we live in 2018 and I sort of let it go.

I am more of an au naturel type of gal. I have naturally blonde hair and some grey has snuck up in there over the past few years. I'm lucky in that it's not that noticeable since my grey is more white. It just makes me look a bit more blonde right now. But one day it's going to be more white than blonde.

So, ladies, do any of you dye your hair? What are your thoughts on it?

I have never dyed my hair. It's been the same color since I was a tot and I figure this is the way I'm supposed to look =)
I see a lot of really great dye jobs. Really great colors with natural looking highlights and cool, trendy styles, but it's not "me", like tattoos aren't me (but I see some great tatts I think are complete works of art.)

My thoughts are if it makes you feel good and is affordable and you enjoy it, go for it.

Acroyali

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Meant2Move wrote:Oh, absolutely!  I have lots of gray but it is not pretty, kinda yellowish, so I color my hair regularly. I am actually happier with it when I do it myself than salon color and I get better coverage of the gray.

I have a friend that has a hair color I'm not sure of...it's white, but kind of pale, pale, PALE yellowish in the right light but other times it appears to have silver in there...I'm 99% sure it's natural and I think it's gorgeous. Her hair is also very thick, somewhat long and is always very conservatively fixed in a ponytail, a bun, or down.

I was only a small child when I frequently visited a nursing home to visit relatives, but I remember a female resident there that had the longest, silvery-gray hair she worse in a braid. She was transfixed by my hair (long) and would just randomly braid my hair, too! Her hair was really pretty, the color was really gorgeous.

Acroyali

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:04 am

I'm late to the discussion.  I do not recall when I started dying my hair.  At first I used over the counter type dyes and it was fine.  However as life continued and I would see pictures of myself (especially out in the sun) I would cringe over the part and felt I looked like a skunk.

I tried growing it out once and someone took a picture that turned me back to coloring.

Then I found an excellent hair dresser and spent time and dollars having it done.  Keeping up with it finally pushed me to grow it out.  That is a long process and if I had to do it over I believe I would never have begun dying in the first place.  Saving time and money.

At 66 I made the decision to let it go.  I was still working so I felt this was a brave thing to do.  I do not recall when it finally grew out enough to be "me".  

I love my silver hair.  I am now 70 living my 71st year.  

Let's talk about wrinkles.  I will not end up like Katherine Hepburn wearing turtle neck tops as I just do not want to hide the fact that I am aging.  I have decided to embrace it and celebrate all the changes that come.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:53 am

perennialpam wrote: I just do not want to hide the fact that I am aging.  I have decided to embrace it and celebrate all the changes that come.

This is me. I refuse to refute or fight aging. It's a natural process that happens to everyone. It's life and it should be viewed more positively.

A little off topic but....it's like motherhood. I have had four pregnancies. I've only had two children but I've had four pregnancies. One I lost at nearly 5 months along and had to have the fetus "removed". Another I miscarried at about 3 months. Point is, all those hormones take a toll on your body. Things get lax. Add that to the two c-sections (not by choice) that I had and my belly is NOT the same. It never will be. I refuse to get a tummy tuck or cringe at my belly. I went through a very natural process and I refuse to "fix it" just because society thinks I should still look the same as before I carried two babies to term.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down