Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sex reverses menopause?

4 posters

Go down

Sex reverses menopause? Empty Sex reverses menopause?

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 am

Yes, a man posting here, and no, not trying to be funny. A story that my fiance' and I find very, very interesting.

When she and I connected two months ago, she thought of herself as post-menopausal (age 52.) Some spotting six months before. About three weeks along, she spotted again. A few more weeks, and she had a full tilt, real, normal period. Awaiting to see if this happens again.

FWIW in a women's forum, there have been changes in me, too. Kirsten noted this maybe ten days ago. I swear, I look like I've been working out for the last two months, and I haven't once.

Which all begs the question about chickens and eggs. Do age related sex changes happen due to physiology, or from lack of use? I've found some interesting informed opinions about this on the intertubes and more doctors and experts are coming around to thinking that a lot of the presumed inevitable changes are not, at least as early as is common.

Apparently, Mark was more correct than he realized when he included sex as part of a good Primal lifestyle.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Sex reverses menopause? Empty Re: Sex reverses menopause?

Post by Annieh Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:03 pm

What next? Maybe baby?
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:54 pm

"She thought of herself post-menopausal." Does that mean she actually went a full year without any kind of period, including spotting, and then started spotting? If she hasn't gone a full year without a period/spotting then she would not medically be considered post-menopausal.

If she hasn't gone a full year without periods, what she is experiencing is normal for a woman her age and in the late stages of peri-menopause. If she HAS gone a full year and is now spotting/ having periods, she should see her doctor as this can be an indication of uterine cancer.

marcadav

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks for those thoughts, marcadav!

No, about six months without anything, that's why "she thought herself," maybe not medically defined, but seemed to be heading that way. Since the spotting and then period came after the resumption of a (dare I say?) vigorous sex life, we presume they are related. She also had sore breasts and other discomforts prior to the flow.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:07 pm

Annieh wrote:What next?  Maybe baby?

Ha, ha, not hardly. I'm 71, my kids are all in their forties, hers in HS and college. Besides, I did The Big Snip in 1975 or so.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:32 pm

I've been curious about traditional Eastern health and wellness practices lately and just finished reading a book called The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity by Daniel Reid. In old-school Taoism, sexual intercourse isn't just for fun or making babies, but a serious pursuit for the cultivation of optimal health and longevity. The hormones released during sexual arousal (like testosterone) and the attendant physiological responses of arousal (such as improved cardiovascular function) promote youthfulness and vitality. Moreover, there is an exchange of hormones between men and women during intercourse (especially unprotected intercourse) that is beneficial to both.

As far as I know this isn't that well-studied in Western science yet, but I do remember a study from a few years ago that indicated that women who didn't use condoms with their partners had better psychological health and fewer symptoms of depression. Of course there are many confounding factors in a study like that (e.g. maybe those who didn't use condoms were generally in closer and more trusting relationships), but it's interesting nonetheless.

Physiologically it makes sense to me, that sex would be good for health. The skin and mucous membranes on the head of the penis and inside the vagina are extremely thin, permeable, and absorbent, and sexual fluids are probably loaded with hormones and very specific nutrients. Everyone knows that oysters and zinc are good for men's sexual health, which implies that all those nutrients probably end up in the sexual fluids, which can be absorbed by women through the vaginal wall.

Reid's book contains a few amusing anecdotal passages about women who maintained their own health and longevity by literally sucking the life-energy out of their male lovers through their dicks, like a bunch of vaginal vampires. Apparently the historical Empress Wu Zetian had a very active sex life all the way up until her death in her 80s, and maintained a harem of hundreds of virile young men collected from all over China.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Very interesting, Nightly Orange. Second paragraph right on. So many confounders in human behavior studies.

To add to your list of interchanged hormones, men have T in their saliva, and when a woman is kissed, she gets his T, which is what makes both men and woman wanna do it.

I've just recently learned of a family of pheromones called copulins. They are excreted in the vagina only during peak fertility. When smelled by a man, his T will climb as much as 150% in a couple of minutes! Weight lifters and body builders use this to give themselves a bit of edge.

Lord, we are complicated critters!

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down