Deep Down & Dirty

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 39 Empty Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 am

LB I totally agree. During my year long weight loss/health journey I rarely got on the scale and I didn’t record a drop of food. I just ate whole real food and left the junk at the curb. I had to learn to love me. I still do, but I don’t love what I used to deal with the pain of the last year and I don’t love what those choices did to my body, some visible, some invisible (as internal that I may not know about for a long time). It is what it is. I had a rough year. So now it’s time to get myself back on track to the healthy me. The one that will hopefully run around with grands someday.

Luv ya
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:42 am

There's nothing wrong with trying to improve things, as long as you are happy with the person that you are in the first place. Love the one you see in the mirror, as you wouldn't be where you are right now without the choices you made earlier, no guilt necessary either, just acceptance, and simply decide to give it the things that it needs to be healthy. Focus on the positive. Move and get stronger. Get enough sleep.

Avoid the center aisles in the grocery store, move, sleep.
Feel better, look better, be better. If checking the scale gives you reinforcement, do it.

Live long and (hopefully) prosper.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:50 pm

Well explained Smile I also agree - but struggle with parts - as you all know. I would love to get to where you are.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:49 pm

Lovebird wrote:

There's nothing wrong with trying to improve things, as long as you are happy with the person that you are in the first place. Love the one you see in the mirror, as you wouldn't be where you are right now without the choices you made earlier, no guilt necessary either, just acceptance, and simply decide to give it the things that it needs to be healthy. Focus on the positive. Move and get stronger. Get enough sleep.

Some will try to convince you that it's simply a matter of eating less/moving more. It's not. It matters even more what you eat in the first place, as especially processed foods and sugar tend to make you hungry again sooner, whereas real food feed your body.

Agreed. I am not the size I was at 25 years old and I dare say that I probably never will be. I carry around about an extra 20 pounds. Do I necessarily like that? NO! But it has been my consistent weight, seemingly no matter what I eat or move or don't move, since after I had kids. But I also look at the paternal side of my family and ALL of the women on that side are very big. I mean, LARGE. And, I definitely take after my dad's side of the hereditary gene pool so I actually count myself lucky I'm only 20 pounds heavier than I "should" be. I DO wonder if there is a gene component in some respect. I'm not saying that as a way to have people make excuses but I do wonder.

Anyway, I agree - like yourself TODAY. Because if there's one thing I know to be true it's that the human body is forever changing.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Lovebird wrote:There's nothing wrong with trying to improve things, as long as you are happy with the person that you are in the first place. Love the one you see in the mirror, as you wouldn't be where you are right now without the choices you made earlier, no guilt necessary either, just acceptance, and simply decide to give it the things that it needs to be healthy. Focus on the positive. Move and get stronger. Get enough sleep.

Nicely stated!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Rig D wrote:
Avoid the center aisles in the grocery store, move, sleep.

This is it in a nutshell, Rig. Simply really, but easier said than done at times.
good wishes to everyone doing their best.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:33 am

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts, Narrowminded, Rig D, Tomi1000, Ontario, Meant2Move and Annieh. Smile

Robb Wolf tends to put sleep first nowadays, as a good night's rest makes movement and healthy eating lots easier.

Shopping the perimeter of the grocery store may sound like a good idea, as most of the healthy stuff is either fresh, or in the fridge/freezer area, provided you ignore all the crap that is also to be found there, especially in the dairy and quick meals section  Razz ... you'd miss out on plenty of the good stuff too.

Eggs aren't washed here in Europe, so stored in an aisle, non refrigerated. Fresh autumn walnuts/hazelnuts are in the veg/fruit area, as are coconuts, however year round the nuts and seeds are in the snack/baking goods/special foods sections. EVOO and avocado or coconut oil, plus vinegar as well as good quality chocolate/coffee/tea I would really miss, and ditto on the occasional glass of wine. Not to mention all the canned goods like fish (remember the acronym 'smash', being salmon/mackerel/anchovy/sardines/herring) and coconut milk. Pretty sure I forgot some things there, but you get the point, as I did yours. Ofcourse supermarkets here aren't as large as yours either, so it's relatively easy to pop into an aisle and grab the good stuff without being tempted too much by the bad ones. Smile

Last edited by Lovebird on Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:55 am

If all goes well my FIL will turn 90 tomorrow. 🎂

(about 300 miles a month since I got serious about it, starting June.  Very Happy )

Not counting May, as I was merely getting started back then, only 50 kilometers, including 1 10 mile test ride the first week, building up slowly after that. June I rode the most often, and most kms, 594 km total, 27 days, whereas in July it were a mere 455, 17 days. This month so far is going well, already at 330, hence the remark in the quote, which is an average of more than 10 miles per day, of which I am proud, as it's real improvement.

Not sure whether it's the time of the year or what, but I find myself KonMari-ing as soon as I've got some spare time on my hands. DH started it (again) by sorting his paper files, which lead to several boxes of shredded paper that will be out of the house next week. We're both pretty good with recycling things and dislike messy surroundings, but somehow stuff tends to accumulate when busy, as it usually does.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:54 am

All sounds great LB.  Great job on the bike riding.  Whacha going to do in the winter?  Or did I forget that you had an indoor bike?  

I should be KonMar-ing too.  There is so much to rid myself of.  Good job on that too.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Great job with the bike and miles. So awesome.

Happy to hear you are managing some KonMari as well. I’ve started some as I’ve been dealing in different rooms. Now I have to keep going, but all of that will probably land on the weekend. Have to work out a new schedule for myself.

I love that you all don’t wash your eggs there. Most people this side of the pond would be floored, unless they raise chickens Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:27 am

Yes PPam, DH's stationary bike gets used daily between the two of us. Smile

Sue, your continuous KM'ing was also inspirational, as it's very similar to mine, not as organized as it could/should be, yet very satisfying in the long run as it gets the job done regardless.  Wink

Hope you managed to subscribe to dr. K's OT course in time as it's no longer available for free at the moment. Hearing him speak about microbiome diversity makes me wonder about the dangers of carnivory or keto long term as the lack of abundant plant foods/fiber (small portions of many varied sources) causes the mucosal lining of the small intestine to deteriorate unless you get enough SCFAs instead. He's not a fan of skipping meals either, nor of very strict/limited diets as they promote oral intolerance, not heal it.

https://learning.drknews.com/ot-video-with-dr-kharrazian/

https://drknews.com/healthy-gut-bacteria/

Currently we have yummy summer apples and I've been eating an apple regularly again, including core (except for seeds and stem) and told DS about it being healthier and less wasteful, when he was here last weekend. His reply was that he's no caveman, so the core still gets tossed.. Rolling Eyes Laughing At least he eats a bounty of fruits and veggies as well as proteins, always has.

Temps have gone up again, after weeks of less summery weather, so lunch is often a simple tomato salad with some type of canned fish. Yesterday I had sardines, with EVOO and lemon, which was very good.

I love you summer tomatoes I love you

Going to give the chia seed pudding another chance while cutting dairy out, so wish me luck.

Have a great Sunday! sunny sunny sunny
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:25 am

LB I did not get the chance. I did go there, but with the recent happenings at work, I knew I would not have the time, nor the energy to invest to get anything from it. Hopefully someday it will come around again.

Your lunches sounds devine, and yes I attempt to have a large variety in what I eat, while still remaining with whole real food and an occasional treat from the dark side. Smile

I’ve been contemplating making some chia pudding again and trying Marks latest recipe for collagen pudding essentially. Something different to have now and again.

I will mention chia pudding is only good for a couple of days, do not try and keep it for a week. Ask me how I learned that lesson Smile. And the flavor can be changed up based upon what spices you add. Also, I find whirring it in a blender breaks up the seeds and it is more smooth like traditional pudding.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:37 am

NM wrote:LB I did not get the chance. I did go there, but with the recent happenings at work, I knew I would not have the time, nor the energy to invest to get anything from it. Hopefully someday it will come around again.

My mistake for not being more clear... all you had to do was sign up before the 23rd and it was/is yours to check whenever you have time in the future.. not like a summit with limited access. Sad

Thanks for the chia pudding info. Promise I'll try again in small batches.
What about Chia Fresca, the energy drink? Very Happy

My lunches are simple & tasty, just the way I like it. Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Well rats, managed to lose a post!

I'm sort of interested in that collagen pudding myself. I bought the cocoa, but didn't get around to trying it.

Last Friday I was scanning the veggie display looking for new items. Considered fennel, but as it was oddly expensive, I decided I needed to do some more research before adding it to my pile of produce. Slightly related, I'd be interested in your opinion (as I know you do so much reading) of the importance of switching greens from week to week versus having a little bit of many greens each week (spinach, kale, chard, collards)?

I hope all is well in your world!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:11 am

Meant2Move wrote:
Last Friday I was scanning the veggie display looking for new items. Considered fennel, but as it was oddly expensive, I decided I needed to do some more research before adding it to my pile of produce.  Slightly related, I'd be interested in your opinion (as I know you do so much reading) of the importance of switching greens from week to week versus having a little bit of many greens each week (spinach, kale, chard, collards)?

I hope all is well in your world!

Thank you and ditto!

Fennel usually is. DH is not a fan, due to the anise flavour (even though he's definitely the liquorice lover here), so don't make it often. https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/fennel-recipes.html

Good question! I'd say it depends... don't you just hate it when they say that..  Smile however it's true. Personally I wouldn't want to have spinach every day despite not being aware of having any oxalate issue, then again it's the dose that makes the poison and dr. Kharrazian is a big fan of having little bits of many veggies every day (even teaspoon amounts are enough) and suggests buying/washing/chopping/into freezer and says to use a multitude of them, up to a glass full, blended, daily, to get the different plant fibers and feed your gut lining.

Nothing wrong with rotating them either though, especially the leafy greens. https://simplegreensmoothies.com/tips/best-leafy-greens

Your leafy greens list:

To help keep you slurping your smoothies we made a list of our favorite greens (there are way more leafy greens than the ones we listed below) and separated them into family groups so you can easily rotate!

Crucifers:

Kale
If you like spinach then you will like kale. They are both known for their wide variety of nutrients, mild taste, and availability in your local markets. The best part is that they are from different families, which will make rotating a breeze. Having any kind of health issue? Kale will probably help, though they are especially talented at fighting cancer.

Collard Greens
Like their other cruciferous family members, collard greens are great cancer fighters. They are also pretty good at helping your body digest foods properly with all the fiber inside. They are most popular as a steamed leafy green, but adding them raw to your smoothies will provide you with more health benefits because they lose nutrients when cooked.

Cabbage
Cabbage is yet another example of a cruciferous cancer fighting leafy green. One thing that may help to separate it from the pack is its popularity in home gardens and fresh markets, which makes them easy to find. It also has a hint of sweetness to go with those yummy, summer smoothies filled with berries.

Amaranth:

Spinach
Its hard to beat spinach when talking about nutrient packed greens. Just one leaf contains a sampling of more than 20 different nutrients. The list of benefits is nearly as long as the amount of nutrients: cancer fighting, blood pressure beating, bone strengthening, cardiovascular helping, brain boosting, skin smoothing, vision improving, inflammation reducing, energy increasing, and more. Spinach is a green smoothie staple for all!

Beet Greens
When was the last time you ate beets, let alone the leafy greens on top of them? We recommend branching out and trying beet greens for your next smoothie! They include a wide variety of nutrients, but make their claim to fame with tryptophan. Tryptophan is the culprit of all those Thanksgiving Day naps, but more importantly helps with better sleep cycles. If you are always complaining about being tired, don’t turn to coffee. Add tryptophan to your green smoothie.

Chard
Chard is a colorful leaf best known for its ability to regulate the body’s blood sugar system. Translation? If you have diabetes or struggle to main your blood sugar levels then chard should become a regular part of your leafy greens rotation. Try it in the morning to start your day off right!

Asteraceae:

Dandelion Greens
Looking for calcium without the cows? You got it! A healthy dose of dandelion greens will give you near the same amount of calcium as a glass of milk will, but it will also fill you with other nutrients that milk doesn’t. When using them don’t forget this saying, “A banana in the blender kisses the bitter good-bye!”

Romaine Lettuce
Romaine lettuce is a nutrient rich leafy green that is good for your heart and low in calories. The vitamin C and beta-carotene content help to lower cholesterol and prevent build up on artery walls, which reduces the risk of heart attack. Being low in calories also helps you lose weight while keeping you full.

Apiaceae:

Celery
Ever heard of phytonutrients? They are what makes celery stand out among other raw greens. Phytonutrients are an antioxidant that help prevent damage done to body fat and blood vessel walls. This may not sound important, but to put it in common terms blood vessel damage leads to many of the diseases we see today. Be sure to use strong fruit to balance out the potent flavor of the celery stalks and/or leaves.

Cilantro
Most fast food is dipped, cooked, and lathered in all sorts of unhealthy things that cause high blood sugar and cholesterol, but not this “fast food.” One of the remedies for lowering blood sugar and cholesterol is cilantro, and its fast and easy to add to your daily smoothie! Try it with lime juice and other tropical treats.

Carrot Tops
Carrot tops are filled with chlorophyll, which has been shown to fight against tumor growth and acts as a cleansing agent. The best way to buy carrot tops is to buy carrots with full greens on top. You will have nutrient filled green smoothies and a snack for later.

Last edited by Lovebird on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:14 am

One thing I really like about the CSA is you get all kinds of different veggies and it forces you to cook outside your usual box.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:00 am

Pedidoc wrote:One thing I really like about the CSA is you get all kinds of different veggies and it forces you to cook outside your usual box.

Nicely stated Pedidoc. Smile So easy to stick with what you know otherwise instead of venturing out.. I do like to check different stores and see what kind of fresh and seasonal veggies they have, sale or otherwise and like to try unfamiliar things on occasion. Thanks to the internet finding recipes never is an issue.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:37 am

So far I've managed to get an average of 17 kilometers per day over the last 3 months. Including a 50 km, so 31 miles, ride on Friday, just for good measure and to end the month with 520 km total on the stationary bike. Very Happy

September has just started and I already listed a 34 and a 22 km ride for yesterday and today. Looking good.

It's exercise, yes, not just movement, definitely not slow cardio either, and a hot shower (with a cold finish) is absolutely welcome (and necessary) to feel fresh again, however challenging myself like that makes it more fun (hard to imagine for someone that dislikes being active), than just a half hour ride and be over with it for the day. I like to alternate and often have to make it work with whatever is planned for, like we all do, but putting yourself/training first is key and feeling awesome keeps one coming back for more. Movement that is, not necessarily on the bike. Wink
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 am

Not much going on.. then again boring is better than drama.. JMO

Got a new pair of ankle boots last Friday as I had to say goodbye to my old ones earlier this year, just like my favourite red sandals that needed replacement in the heat of summer. So nice that the temps are back down again, as sunny 69 F is good. Great deal on a shirt too, as I had 3 'coupons' for 5 euro each (on a member card), valid for a limited time, and it turned out to be even cheaper at the cash register than the label indicated, so a nice bargain.

Groceries today, let's see: fresh mussels/frozen cocktail shrimps/chicken thigh fillets/chipolata sausages/broccoli/fennel/salad mix (swiss chard, land cress and young red leaf lettuce)/zucchini/red onions/coconut flakes and fresh figs. And 2 pretty blue bath towels for the price of one. Very Happy
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:02 am

LB for the win!
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Congrats on the awesome mileage over August and the great start for Sept. Why I miss running so very much. I loved to challenge myself a bit. Now my knee say “no way”. Maybe someday, after I get my weight back down again.

Those were some great bargains you got this weekend. Great job!

Sounds like some delish eats for the week too.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:22 am

Thanks Pam and Sue. ((HUGS))

Current bike mileage for September is 334 kilometers, that's 208 miles, so ahead of the curve so to speak, speed 30/31 km/hr. Very Happy

Food is good enough, not perfect, a bit too much (quality) chocolate.  Wink

There have been 2 funerals on Dad's side of the family, 2 uncles..
an acquaintance is undergoing radiation as well as chemo despite living a keto lifestyle for years..
my youngest sis has been ill for weeks without getting a proper diagnosis, however she's doing better now, not as exhausted or not hungry any more.. with all that has been going on it could very well be a mental issue, you know, when the body says 'you definitely need a break...', however not ruling out physical causes..

And if that wasn't enough they are currently replacing the waterpipes.. started on Monday Sept 9.. which resulted in no water for a few hours that first day and low pressure ever since.. Sad It's a good thing I came prepared, since they were moving closer with their equipment a few days earlier, and filled the tub (to flush the toilet on that floor using a bucket) as well as a number of bottles on Sunday as well as did all laundry.
It's possible to refill the tub.. slowly.. but then there is no water coming from the faucet of the sink.. which also means no decent shower... luckily DH is staying elsewhere.. DS has plans to come over this weekend, however if the issue still persists I'd rather have him wait another week than share the misery..

The weather is still lovely.. cold nights, even close to freezing, yet afternoons are sunny and even climbing to 77 F this weekend.

Gonna heat my leftover pulled pork for lunch soon. Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:45 am

Where have you been Lovebird? Oh, riding your bike and filling your tub.

Actually you are so smart to fill that bathtub for flushing. I always have extra water around from taking it camping and have had to use it when something unexpected comes like no electricity. I'm on a well and septic where I live.

The weather sure has been interesting this year. It is still muggy here which is much different than previous years. I hope this weather is just strange for this year alone. Not making me happy for sure.

Keep on plugging away at your exercise. You are sounding like M2M now. Smile
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:14 am

Sounds like lots going on. Water saving with plumbing issues is no stranger. So sorry to read about the losses in your family, esp. if they are your dad's siblings. Hope your sis can resolve her illness. Am no longer amazed at the things stress can unwind.

Good going on the biking!!! Always if one finds something enjoyable, it wont feel so much like work.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 am

Missed you on your PF sabbatical. Great work on the bike. Hope the water pipes are soon repaired and the water supply is returned to normal. I also hope your DH is doing ok after loss of family. Seems awful early in the season for nights to be getting down near freezing. Is that typical for where you are, or is it abnormally cool in the evenings this year?
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum