Deep Down & Dirty

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 38 Empty Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Lovebird on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:44 am

NM wrote:Congrats on another PB with the bike! You are rockin’ it.

Thank you!

Having dropped 5 kilos/11 pounds so far purely by burning it off on the bike makes me consider eating somewhat cleaner to see if I can take it up a notch, then again the results are very noticeable (both from riding the bike as well as the training) as so many clothes have a loose fit nowadays, including my favourite capris. Some closet KM'ing definitely needs to be done.

Bought plenty of fruits in this morning's grocery haul (melons/plums/kiwis/bananas) and still have yesterday's nectarines and limes, so no FMD just now, especially since DS is here for a few days, so we'll be having potato gratin today, with grilled sausage and broccoli (he doesn't have an oven in his apartment just yet, so anything ovenbased would be more than welcome) as it's not that hot today. It was relatively mild this week, unlike the week ahead, which is gonna be hot and likely humid.

Favourite salad when it's hot: cucumber/tomatoes/bell pepper/red onion evt radish all diced, simple dressing (EVOO/lemon juice/s&p) and some mint. Add some protein, preferably already prepped and you've got a tasty lunch/dinner. Or bbq it to avoid heating up the house. Ofcourse bigger cubes would work too (and take less time to prep), especially with feta and/or olives added, but sometimes the tiny cubes simply taste better.

https://www.absicalculator.eu/ a relative risk indicator that shows your risk in relation to other people of your gender and age
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:57 am

Exercise and nutrition in tandem definitely is more effective than only tackling one or the other.

Well done on all your cycling, and your weight loss. How long has it taken you to drop 5kg?
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:27 am

Annieh wrote:Exercise and nutrition in tandem definitely is more effective than only tackling one or the other.

Well done on all your cycling, and your weight loss.  How long has it taken you to drop 5kg?

Yes I know, but my nutrition is already pretty decent IMO. Just talking about a little tweaking here and there as I'm one of those boring people that rarely snacks, doesn't drink much alcohol (and if I do it's just 1 glass), is a relatively moderate eater that skips a meal here and there (never dinner though Smile ), likes water/tea/coffee... so cutting back/out dairy would be an option, or fruit (not gonna happen during summer as this time of the year the produce is awesome). I already eat plenty of fish, but could cut back on red meat. Like you I'm not that fond of keto/very low carb as my body seems to like a few good carbs in the form of potatoes/fruits/rice.

Thanks! About seven weeks.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:57 am

Congrats on your success.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 am

perennialpam wrote:Congrats on your success.

Thanks PPam. I would like to lose some more weight as that would make pull-ups lots easier. Either that or stronger back/arms. Laughing
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:01 pm

Congratulations on the 11 pounds! Smile Losing weight is a wonderful perk at eating right and moving more.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:26 am

Thank for the link LB. I will explore later when I get back.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Your salad is one of my favs, I haven't made it for a while (note to self: buy cucumbers).
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am

Hi LB. Stopped by to get caught up. The progress you make with your health is inspiring. I need the encouragement to get moving! Love your smattering of recipes. Smile Have a beautiful day.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:33 am

Thanks for your input Tomi, NM, TW and Shelley. Smile

Instead of just the weekend DS decided to stay for about 10 days.. even though he had made plans to do some work on his apartment during the week and therefore took time off, but with the heatwave (up to 40C/104F, no A/C) that was rather difficult and it was much nicer here, especially company & food. Very Happy It was really nice to have him home... this week DH & DS are doing the planned DIY work.

Last week I rode the bike twice, for resp. 40 and 44 kilometers (27 miles)... in about 90 minutes. I do prefer the daily rides/training, just wanted to know whether I could do it...
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:55 am

Signed up for another coaching course as soon as it popped up in my inbox.. Smile

As it turns out my mom's twice a week training days are over.. not because she doesn't want to, but because they (physiotherapists with outdated gym) joined with others, closed their facility and, despite other messages earlier, no longer offer the option to train individually. Due to my reports on the stationary bike she's looking into getting a second hand one and also started (carefully) on the 4 minute workout after demo and video link.

Due to M2M's interest in (and NM's positive reaction to) the Wahls Protocol I've looked into the AIP again, as there are some differences between the 2 protocols as well as plenty of overlap https://www.thepaleomom.com/start-here/the-autoimmune-protocol/

What To Eat and What To Avoid

Following the AIP diet involves increasing your intake of nutrient-dense, health-promoting foods while avoiding foods that may be triggers for your disease.

In summary, the rules of what to eat are:

organ meat and offal (aim for 5 times per week, the more the better)–read more here.
   fish and shellfish (wild is best, but farmed is fine) (aim for at least 3 times per week, the more the better)–read more here and here.
   vegetables of all kinds, as much variety as possible and the whole rainbow, aim for 8+ servings daily
       Leafy green vegetables (lettuce, spinach, kale, collards, celery leaves, etc.)
       Colorful vegetables and fruit (red, purple, blue, yellow, orange, white)
       Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, kale, turnips, arugula, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, watercress, mustard greens, etc.)
       Roots, tubers and winter quash (cassava, sweet potato, parsnip, beets, fennel, carrots, rutabaga, turnip, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, etc.)
       Onion family (aka alliums, onions, leek, garlic, ramps, etc.)
       Sea vegetables (excluding algae like chlorella and spirulina which are immune stimulators)
       Mushrooms (and other edible fungi)
   herbs and spices
   quality meats (grass-fed, pasture-raised, wild as much as possible) (poultry in moderation due to high omega-6 content unless you are eating a ton of fish)
   healthy fats (pasture-raised/grass-fed animal fats [rendered or as part of your meat], fatty fish, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, palm oil[not palm kernel])
   fruit (keeping fructose intake between 10g and 40g daily-note that 20g is probably optimal)
   probiotic/fermented foods (fermented vegetables or fruit, kombucha, water kefir, coconut milk kefir, coconut milk yogurt, supplements)–read about them here and here.
   glycine-rich foods (anything with connective tissue, joints or skin, organ meat, and bone broth)
   gut microbiome superfoods ( high-fiber and phytonutrient fruits and vegetables, cruciferous vegetables, mushrooms, roots, tubers, alliums, leafy greens, berries, apple family, citrus, extra virgin olive oil, fish, shellfish, honey and bee products, fermented foods, edible insects, tea, and bone broth)
   Source the best-quality ingredients you can.
   Eat as much variety as possible

In addition, remove the following from your diet:

Grains
   Legumes
   Dairy
   Refined and processed sugars and oils
   Eggs (especially the whites)
   Nuts (including nut butters, flours and oils)
   Seeds (including seed oil, cocoa, coffee and seed-based spices)
   Nightshades (potatoes [sweet potatoes are fine], tomatoes, eggplants, sweet and hot peppers, cayenne, red pepper, tomatillos, goji berries etc. and spices derived from peppers, including paprika)

Potential Gluten Cross-Reactive Foods
   Alcohol
   NSAIDS (like aspirin or ibuprofen)
   Non-nutritive sweeteners (yes, all of them, even stevia and monk fruit)
   Emulsifiers, thickeners, and other food additives

Moderate your intake of the following:

Fructose (from fruits and starchy vegetables, aiming for between 10g and 40g daily-note that 20g is probably optimal)
   Salt (using only unrefined salt such as Himalayan pink salt or Celtic gray salt)
   High-glycemic-load fruits and vegetables (such as dried fruit, plantain, and taro root) – note, the AIP is not low-carb (see The Case for More Carbs: Insulin’s Non-Metabolic Roles in the Human Body)
   Omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid–rich foods (such as poultry and fatty cuts of industrially produced meat)
   Black and green tea (up to 3-4 cups per day is okay for most people)
   Coconut
   Natural sugars (honey and blackstrap molasses are the best choice)
   Saturated fat (aiming for 10-15% of total calories)

This diet is appropriate for everyone with diagnosed autoimmune disorders or with suspected autoimmune diseases. It is very simply an extremely nutrient-dense diet that is devoid of foods that irritate the gut, cause gut dysbiosis and activate the immune system. You will not be missing out on any nutrients and this diet is absolutely appropriate to follow for the rest of your life. If you have a specific autoimmune disease that causes extra food sensitivities, those should be taken into account with your food choices.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers, especially those that are going through difficult times at the moment. ((HUGS))
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:35 am

Thanks for the reminders LB. I think the biggest difference between Wahl’s and this one is the amount of Coconut Terry likes you to have each day. I could never manage to get that much in, but what I did, did work for me.

Hugs
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks, LB.

Wahls seems over the top on coconut with her Paleo Plus version - of course, the fact that I detest coconut likely makes me overly sensitive to those recommendations! Rolling Eyes

---
Well done on your weight loss, and I'm pleased for you that you get to have your son around for a longer than expected visit. Enjoy!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 am

Hi LB. Glad you were able to enjoy some son time. Smile I hope the heat abates for you soon.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:20 am

With that in mind, I started thinking about what each personality type might write in their Tinder profile, should they choose to be totally upfront and unfiltered about themselves. Here are my interpretations. Would you swipe right?

The Tinder Profile of Each Myers-Briggs Personality

INTJ

Sarcastic. Imaginative. Calculated. Basically cotton candy locked inside a steel cage. I’ve got one flawless vision of the future with a carefully-plotted plan to get there and my perpetually neutral, borderline-chilly facial expression is entirely unintentional. Looking for an intellectually stimulating partner-in-crime. Don’t waste my time and I won’t waste yours.

ENTP

Introverted extrovert and true enigma. Will likely eviscerate your best arguments, thrill you with banter and charm you to death. I have a billion ideas for date nights and business ventures. (I’ll brainstorm if you choose?) Never boring but always bored. Tell me when to show up and I’m there. Sapiosexual.

INTP

If you can pull me away from my philosophy books and scientific theories, I’m a pretty low-key date. I know exactly what I’m looking for; love isn’t that hard to figure out. It’s just a chemical reaction, commitment to grow the relationship, and desire to keep showing up for your partner.

ENTJ

Bossy, intense, electric. I don’t have an “off” switch. I’ll take charge of a situation without thinking twice, and I know how to put in the exact amount of work for desired results. I have minimal free time but I make the absolute most of it. I know what I want when I see it. Confidence is sexy, right?

INFJ

Perfectionistic, quirky, and everybody’s friend. Extroverted introvert with a diverse range of interests. My book shelves are full of novels by women, history texts, science texts, and science fiction. I love analyzing the problems of others but I’m still trying to understand myself. I’m always attracted to the rebel but I’ll only commit to someone who “gets” me. Open to all applicants.

ENFP

Let’s get a drink. Or go for a hike. Or go skydiving. Or all three?! I see possibilities everywhere, and will chase every last one of them. Easy-going on the surface with a deep, intense core of hidden emotions. Super-extroverted and super-sensitive. Be my biggest cheerleader and I’ll be yours. Challenge me and I’ll challenge you. Note: Cannot go out in my neighborhood if you want alone time.

ENFJ

Cuddly like a teddy bear. Warm like a ray of sunshine. Inspiring AF. Crazy confident and intense. I never think twice about looking uncool. If I’m not into you, I’ll be upfront and won’t waste your time but if I am into you, get ready: I’ll want to hang out 24/7, have picnic lunches, go to the Farmer’s market, and plan a million fun dates. Probably a touch of an overthinker so don’t leave me alone to wonder about your level of interest.

INFP

Appearance: Chillest person in the room who just loves to have a good time. Reality: Probably the most sensitive romantic you’ll ever meet. I’ll definitely take rejection personally. I have tons of interests; travel, poetry readings, indie bands you’ve never heard of, quaint dive bars in new cities, and meeting people with quirky humor and style. Dating is like an extreme sport for my emotions and I ultimately can’t wait to find The One (aka another weirdo who just gets me).

ISTJ

Responsible, stable, looking for a partner-in-crime. Home owner. Will show up exactly on time, all the time. Will plan an awesome, thoughtful date. Can’t be bothered to go out on a string of casual dates so will probably give up on the apps eventually. But I’m totally invested in relationships with substance and potential if you’re into that sort of thing.

ESTP

The best mistake of your life or the best thing to ever happen to you? 😉 “Live for the moment” is my life motto. If I don’t reply, I’m living my life and have totally forgotten about this conversation (sry, not personal!!!). Message me again with IRL date plans, preferably an hour before they happen.

ISTP

Rarely check this thing. Off rock climbing, hiking, biking, skiing, surfing, running or hanging with my friends. Hit me up if you want to hang.

ESTJ

Not sure if this is the best way to meet a compatible partner but it’s certainly the most efficient way to date in my limited free time! I’m a responsible manager at work, but I know how to let loose. Love travel, friends, craft beer, camping, cooking, and firing up audiobooks before bed. Life is all about balance, humility and turning your dreams into action. If we’ve matched, I definitely want to meet up; I don’t waste time.

ISFJ

Romantic, dreamer, big heart and lots of soul — or so I’m told. Traditionalist in nature, but looking for someone who will challenge me to step outside the box (and make me feel safer in the process). I love old movies, reading on rainy days and deep conversations. My friends convinced me to download this app and I’m not into hookups. Down for a date, but I appreciate when someone else takes the lead.

ESFP

Life is one big, messy adventure better shared with an awesome partner at your side. Most people see me as a social butterfly and carefree partier but I’m looking for someone who sees that there’s more than meets the eye. Love my friends, dancing, laughing, and getting out there in the world. What’s the most exciting date you can possibly think of? Let’s do that.

ESFJ

Energetic, friendly, the first to show up and the last to leave. When I’m not filling my social calendar, I’m probably spearheading another decorating project, taking care of my nieces and nephews, organizing a work function or generally helping out somewhere. Who said trying hard is a bad thing? I really need a date who can deem to match my level of effort. (No shame.)

ISFP

A mystery wrapped in enigma with an artist’s heart and a humanitarian spirit. The best listener on Earth, bar none. Flexible and down for pretty much anything; I’m interested in having the greatest night of my life and finding the greatest love of my life. Can be hard to pin down at times, but I’m working on it. I fall for personalities, not just looks. If you make me smile, sparks will be off the charts.

https://www.manrepeller.com/2019/07/myers-briggs-tinder-bio.html
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:37 am

Also wanted to share a link to a (temporary) free course by dr. Datis Kharrazian on oral tolerance: https://drknews.com/food-sensitivity-diet/ as NM might be interested too.  Smile

It's more about diversity than quantity, where veggies are concerned, according to dr. K.

Not much else to report.. still going strong on the bike, longer rides less often.. the heating boiler finally got replaced by a new one.. plenty of work getting done and lots of learning as usual.

The focus on dieting and scales on this forum has caused me to check journals less often as it's not and never will be my main drive to make changes, as long term health does, but hey, whatever floats yer boat.

Wishing you all well. sunny
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:48 am

I miss all the former MDA friends that never made it here or stopped posting.. Sad
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:07 am

LB Thanks for the cute dating chart.  I had a lot of fun reading it.

I will have to check out that link to DK thanks.  

Sorry the talk hasn’t fit the bill lately.  I think a bunch of us are just trying to get our health back.  In that regard starting using Wahls' principles again, they seem to match best with my body and primal principles.  And starting to get in more exercise.

I don’t seem to have the link to the personality test anymore, if you still have it, can you share?  I’d like to redo now that my life has completely flipped upside down.

Happy to hear you are still riding even if a bit less often.  Sorry you needed a new heater, never a nice bill to do that.

Hugs
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:37 am

You're welcome.

NM wrote:Sorry the talk hasn’t fit the bill lately.  I think a bunch of us are just trying to get our health back.  In that regard starting using Wahls' principles again, they seem to match best with my body and primal principles.  And starting to get in more exercise.

You are funny, NM.  Smile I get the 'get back health' part, as I started riding the bike for that exact reason.. just don't like the focus on the weight/scale instead of trying to lose fat/flab by making sensible adjustments the way you do... as some are definitely sacrificing lean mass just to see the lowest number possible on that scale, preferably in the shortest time frame as well... Not a very healthy mindset (for me to end up in) either, hence the remark. No offense intended and apologies if it came out wrong. I just think that diets don't work in the long term, that's all... and thought that's why most of us are here, as the Primal Blueprint is far more than a quick fix.

NM wrote:I don’t seem to have the link to the personality test anymore, if you still have it, can you share?  I’d like to redo now that my life has completely flipped upside down.

It's on the first page of this part of my journal. Wink

Ever did an Enneagram test? Apparently I'm a type 9, The Peacemaker, wing 1 aka The Dreamer..

The old heater definitely lasted a very long time, as the last one that repaired something said it was a 'museum piece', it being from 1991, and a very good brand, still working without fail most of the time, so DH didn't want it replaced as long as there were parts available. It wasn't broken, yet, but in order to be safe during winter and since they will start working on this part of the street/sidewalks etc about a month from now, and likely until Christmas, better have it installed now, as it will be difficult to reach the house by car during that time. Yes, a large chunk of money will be transferred to the firm that did the work, however they did a great job and left no mess at all. Took them about a day's work to get everything done, 2 guys at that, aside from 2 coffee breaks in which the older guy ate his (cooler transported) food (with fresh fruit+veggies included  Smile ) and the young one went out to smoke...
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:12 pm

I never did an Enneagram test until now. I got 5w6 - which seems to fit pretty well.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:22 pm

I'm also a 5w6! Been doing Enneagram for a few years. I change a bit, but always seem to come back to this.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:56 am

Hey LB, sorry if I sounded like I took your comment the wrong way. I know the scale isn’t a good indicator of health, but when it lets you know you are obese, it’s not a bad one either, and for many gives then the push they need to get back to healthy eating.

I know healthy eating works, and the ratio breakdown that Wahl’s gives, seems to work best with my body. Other may do better with different ratios and that’s what Primal is all about finding what works best for you.

It took me nearly a year prior to lose the weight I needed to lose, so I expect no different this time. My clothes will tell me much better than the scale ever could if I’m losing fat or just losing muscle. Also trying to get more WO’s in to prevent as much muscle loss as possible. And fueling my body with the best ingredients that I can.

Never done and Enneagram, will have to hunt that out.

Thanks for your reminder that it’s more then about the number on the scale.

Happy to hear the heater replacement went well. Funny about the 2 workers and their lunch breaks.

Hugs
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:06 pm

On that thought of scale use and dieting.......... For me, the number on the scale dropping is an encouragement to keep on the straight and narrow path. For me - my size change happens so slowly that I don't see it or notice when my clothes become looser or the image in the mirror seems smaller. I need real hard core evidence that my body is changing and that means seeing the number getting smaller. Also - it can take a good month or two to drop a size in clothing - but a weekly drop of a pound or 2 can boost me on to keep doing what is working.

Just my thoughts - this is why I have never stopped stepping on the scale every few days. It just works for me.

I too have been concerned with the "diet" talk since it kinda the opposite of what I've always through primal was about --- but I figure everyone has their own path to take.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:47 am

ekba wrote:I never did an Enneagram test until now. I got 5w6 - which seems to fit pretty well.

The Walrus wrote:I'm also a 5w6!  Been doing Enneagram for a few years.  I change a bit, but always seem to come back to this.

Pretty sure DH is a 5 as well. Smile Thanks for the visit, Ekba and TW!

Hmm.. took this second test again and got a 6w5... https://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/test
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:55 am

NM & Tomi.. thanks for your replies.  Smile Not sure how to explain this as it obviously came out wrong the first time.. I have no issues with tracking things, as I tend to do the same with the kilometers that I ride on the bike (about 300 miles a month since I got serious about it, starting June. Very Happy ). I also get on the scale about once a week to see whether there are changes to the last time, however don't record it. Whatever the number is doesn't define me as a person and neither does it make me happy or sad. It's merely a result of the choices that I made, some more obvious than others. Seeing people put so much emphasis on that particular number, regardless of the fact that they can not control it, albeit influence it by doing or not doing certain things (some healthy, others not so much), makes me sad. They are still the same smart, funny and strong individual, regardless of their weight and what others may say to them and I wish there was a way of letting them know that...

There's nothing wrong with trying to improve things, as long as you are happy with the person that you are in the first place. Love the one you see in the mirror, as you wouldn't be where you are right now without the choices you made earlier, no guilt necessary either, just acceptance, and simply decide to give it the things that it needs to be healthy. Focus on the positive. Move and get stronger. Get enough sleep.

Some will try to convince you that it's simply a matter of eating less/moving more. It's not. It matters even more what you eat in the first place, as especially processed foods and sugar tend to make you hungry again sooner, whereas real food feed your body.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum