Deep Down & Dirty

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:15 pm

LB do elaborate on the health protocol. Didn’t ask as it seemed you weren’t ready to share.

Ontario that actually sounds like a wonderful place to live
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 am

Narrowminded wrote:Ontario that actually sounds like a wonderful place to live

Oh, no doubt about that. It sounds lovely. Wink Just like when M2M describes her surroundings. Or where my sis lives in the middle of nowhere in France. Smile There are pro's and cons to everything in life.

Narrowminded wrote:LB do elaborate on the health protocol. Didn’t ask as it seemed you weren’t ready to share.

NM, of all people you're least likely to find anything useful in it, as you've been successfully following W30 for so long. sunny Basically it's a pescatarian W5, a sort of reset, but on the keto side of things. I'm tempted, but on the other hand think I should just stick to basics, be it Primal or Paleo. Then again, there's a graduation ceremony coming up in a few weeks, as my DS finished his MSc in Computer Science. Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:04 am

Lovebird wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:09 am

The Keto FX Summit turned out to be quite interesting. Didn't get to listen to all interviews, as life has its way of intervening with that, but got hold of 2 transcripts by accident and managed to catch the most interesting ones.

The name Ryan Frisinger popped up again... same guy that caused me to buy (and eat) all those cans of cod liver last year. Cool Not that I did follow his protocol of high fish oil (40g?) for 30 days. Too extreme for my liking.

His advice (temporarily cutting back on protein) comes down to what I know of the FMD by Dr. Valter Longo. Have to look into that some more as it seems doable and healthy at the same time.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:40 pm

LB I was very successful following w30 last year, through the holidays I fell off the rails a bit, and I also think switching things up once in a while is good for your health. That way not leaning on an one protein too heavily. Kind of like work outs, need to switvpch them up a bit to keep the muscles guessing. While not leaving Primal/paleo, going slightly keto or pescatarian for a week probably not a bad idea. Keep my body guessing.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 am

Definitely. Switching things up is key to health. It's not like we eat red meat for days in a row either, but the thought of say not having any bacon for a week (or 40 days as Lent starts today)...  Shocked which is nonsense, as it's not an every day thing right now.

Had that same issue with alcohol last year... not drinking any for weeks on end is no problem at all, as long as I don't make it into a challenge. Somehow my brain has an issue with that, feeling deprived, which was not the case at all this year, only having had a few drinks this weekend and on (2) birthdays in Jan and none else, but it wasn't a concious choice, just happened that way, as I did not feel like having any. Not that I drink much mind you, rather controlled as in only 1, rarely 2. And never days in a row.

Made a few changes as I noticed the same themes coming up as in the beginning of this journal on MDA... lack of sleep and not enough H2O. Turning off devices earlier and on later in the day made for a great night of good sleep. Woke in the middle of it but only short timed. No food just yet, so long IF without hunger. I like it.

I've never done a W30, as I've never cut out butter, however strict on everything else. Ever.

Had to take the oxtails from the freezer yesterday to make room for new purchases... just put them on.

Having eggs for lunch, with some veggies thrown in for good measure.

Dinner will be shrimps with bell peppers and broccoli (and avocado?), probably with garlic and a few potatoes as well as some bacon. Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 am

I love me some butter, but ghee and bacon fat have been great substitutions.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:55 am

Pedidoc wrote:I love me some butter, but ghee and bacon fat have been great substitutions.

I use that too, well bacon fat mostly. As well as EVOO. Avocado oil has been a recent addition.

So if I want/decide to, I could do it... easily. Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 am

Now, if I were to give up internet for whatever reason (Lent/challenge) I'd probably panick, despite not being on social media, because it's my favourite way of learning new stuff, however it's gotten out of hand. Which is exactly why I'm gonna cut back, as described above.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 am

I'm with you on the internet. There is NO way I could give up the internet. As is the case in your earlier posts....questioner here! Embarassed And, well, questioners have questions, you know! And questions beg answers. And the answers are found on the internet. Razz

So, yep, you and I, both, can adopt the fetal position while mumbling incoherently in a corner somewhere if the internet ceases to be available.

But, seriously, could you imagine the state of the world's people if the internet/social media suddenly disappeared! Laughing "Panic" wouldn't even cover it!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 pm

ONTARIO wrote:I'm with you on the internet. There is NO way I could give up the internet. As is the case in your earlier posts....questioner here! Embarassed And, well, questioners have questions, you know! And questions beg answers. And the answers are found on the internet. Razz

So, yep, you and I, both, can adopt the fetal position while mumbling incoherently in a corner somewhere if the internet ceases to be available.

But, seriously, could you imagine the state of the world's people if the internet/social media suddenly disappeared! Laughing  "Panic" wouldn't even cover it!

Very Happy Love it!

Lovebird wrote:Then again, there's a graduation ceremony coming up in a few weeks, as my DS finished his MSc in Computer Science. Very Happy

I learned today that my DS is not just graduating... he's doing so cum laude... casually mentioned like it's nothing. Surprised Which means that for every time school/study got more difficult, his grades went up (which only proves once again he's exactly where he belongs).

No wonder he chooses to go for a PhD next. Love the fact that he's so humble about it, he hasn't changed one bit. I'm so proud of him, he's a wonderful person.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Congrats to your son (and to you.) It sounds like he has kept a very good perspective as he moves forward. Computer science is a demanding field, and I hope he will manage to maintain his expertise as time goes by, as the "half life" of what is current today becomes obsolete pretty quickly in this arena, much more so than most other areas.

What school is he attending? Will he continue there for the PHD?

Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Lovebird wrote:I learned today that my DS is not just graduating... he's doing so cum laude... casually mentioned like it's nothing. Surprised Which means that for every time school/study got more difficult, his grades went up (which only proves once again he's exactly where he belongs).

No wonder he chooses to go for a PhD next. Love the fact that he's so humble about it, he hasn't changed one bit. I'm so proud of him, he's a wonderful person.

Wow, that is outstanding! Well done to both of you - it takes work to raise a fine human being.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks!

He never wanted to do anything else than 'something with computers', except for being an inventor as a kid. Smile

DH has his own technical software firm (more on the practical side), and they were programming stuff together and separately (games) when he was still relatively young; DS wanted to go to a certain University of Technology instead and will continue there as well for now.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Lovebird wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:I love me some butter, but ghee and bacon fat have been great substitutions.

I use that too, well bacon fat mostly. As well as EVOO. Avocado oil has been a recent addition.

So if I want/decide to, I could do it... easily. Smile

Avocado oil has almost replaced EVOO in my kitchen.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Congratulations on DS. You have every right to be very proud.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 pm

Congrats to DS and your excellent job raising him as well.

I’m not necessarily great with challenges, so I reframe. Instead of i CANT eat such and such, it’s more of a I choose not to eat it. Just like we choose not to eat grains. So for W30, I chose not to eat the items I had been including in Primal that didn’t fit with W 30
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:56 am

Proud parents! Congratulations on raising such a DS.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Thank you!

He did all the hard work though, we just provided him with the right environment to thrive. Cool

Feeding window yesterday was not even 6 hours... had 2 meals and no snacks; today's was more like 9... 2 meals and some bacon for snacks, as well as a blood orange.

Not enough H2O (in my view), unless I keep an eye on drinking plenty. Probably need to add some herbal tea (rooibos or the like) or bone broth again.

I prefer to put the focus on what I choose to eat, so a positive note.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:30 am

Watched a great lecture on Paleo yesterday... nothing really new as I've known this guy for years, but very well done and plenty of interesting tidbits for those that don't know his work. I would link to it, but it's not in English, so there's no use.  Cool

Got plenty of work done too. As well as some chores.

Sipping on bone broth today and yesterday. Prepped a batch of hardboiled eggs for snacking.
Dinner was meatballs with onions, leek and potatoes. Today will be chicken breast with pak choi/bok choy, bell pepper, onion and garlic, some basmati rice and perhaps cassava chips (likely just for hubby).

Love the blood orange as a juicy snack.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:19 pm

blood orange - yum
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:29 am

MMMhm, food sounds great.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:11 am

Thanks Annie, and you even missed out on the oxtail as that was only posted in the Primal dinner thread. Wink

I love those, unfortunately I'm the only one here, with all the wiggly wobbly bits in it, so it's a rare occasion and I have to remove anything that isn't meat or just bone (save it all up for bone broth, aside from what I snack on during Laughing). What can I say, they don't know what they're missing out on, all that gelatinous goodness and the health that results from eating it.

As much as I love Ontario's gourmet meals, it's mostly pretty basic here.

Even the above mentioned shrimps did not get prepped as planned... Embarassed just shrimps/peppers/onion/garlic (and some added noodles for DS (tall and lanky male)).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 am

Lovebird wrote:Watched a great lecture on Paleo yesterday... nothing really new as I've known this guy for years, but very well done and plenty of interesting tidbits for those that don't know his work. I would link to it, but it's not in English, so there's no use.  Cool

This guy, a very intelligent and eloquent writer, has introduced me (and plenty of others) to the work (and theories) of Staffan Lindeberg, Ian Spreadbury, Alessio Fasano, Malcolm Kendrick, Charles Mobbs, Roy Taylor and many more. I've done more than my fair share of contributions to show my appreciation, as he encourages not to take his word for gospel, but to search and listen and learn for ourselves. He definitely is a questioner with rebel tendencies. Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:50 pm

I like those health authors that ask their audience to prove it to themselves. Something a Questioner appreciates.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next