Deep Down & Dirty

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 29 Empty Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:27 am

beautiful flower, but I am with Rig on the need for the patience that I am lacking.  Great news on mom.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:15 pm

Another beautiful flower. You are quite talented.

Awesome news for your mom and the surgery.

Yes, finally got into Broken Brain. Next episode should be up shortly, so when I finish here....
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Your flower is indeed beautiful! What an interesting artsy way to pass the time and challenge yourself. Thank you for the Green Goddess recipe; it sounds delicious. Referring to the other thread, I think it must be something else in the picture. I thought the other recipe you posted might have been it. I can't remember what it was called now.

It would be so much fun if we could all get together and have a potluck. Smile I am inspired listening to you talk about food. Salads are heavenly, especially when someone else makes them.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:14 am

Gosh, I never thought to put potted plants in the attic. How cold does it get in your area?

I love your folded flowers.

I have missed the Broken Brain series so far due to my escape to Lake MI. Hope I can catch up with some of it later today.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:37 am

Nowhere near as cold and snowy as where you live... Mom always puts her flowers in the attic during winter, which is unheated, yet frost free. We'll see how they do outside as the weather is heating up nicely and they got moved. *fingers crossed* Some already started to show fresh green leaves. Bought some new fuchsias and begonias as well. Very Happy Keeping an eye on night temps though, as it's still a bit early, however day temp will hit mid twenties coming week (77) and right now it's 68 (20C)! Cool nights compared to days..

Looks like the lilacs will bloom way before Mother's Day again.. so checking daily for the right moment to turn them into a bouquet for Mom.

Thanks for the nice comments/compliments on the origami flower ball Rig D, Pedidoc, Narrowminded, Perennialpam & ShelleyM. It's a nice relaxing activity to fold them while listening to a summit (unless it's necessary to take notes). Glueing them together is an entirely different matter, that indeed takes patience.

Lots of learning in between work/chores... Brain Summit/Gut Course/Energy Masterclass and an Exercise Webinar. Luckily not all of it was new, however plenty of it was or could do with refreshing memory.

Still a lot of work to do in the backyard, but it was nice to alternate that with listening/learning and get outside in the sunshine and enjoy the fresh green with specks of white, yellow and pink/purple. sunny
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:44 am

Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 am

I love that show. I do not always tune in because of life. haha

Nice music.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Happy to hear you are getting some decent weather and getting out in it a bit. So refreshing.

Your lilacs are way ahead. Mine are just getting their leaves. Love the smell when they finally bloom.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:13 pm

What a treat to have a nice bouquet of lilacs! I love them and the fragrance. Around here, they nearly always freeze so the blooms are rare. 

Lovely to hear from you. Enjoy spring!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:33 am

Lilacs are on the same schedule as in 2018.. Smile as the entry this time last year clearly shows.. and the temps for next week may reach up all the way to 28C (82F) again as well if the current forecast is correct...

I've been reading lots of posts/articles on the Fasting Mimicking Diet and The Longevity Diet by dr. Valter Longo (again), which clearly is much lower in protein than Primal (FMD being vegan (5 days consecutively) and TLD pescatarian (only 2-3 times seafood a week, legumes are encouraged)). I'm once again tempted to try it (the FMD), for all the health benefits it provides, as shown in the research, especially long term. Not the pre-packaged version though.. the (expensive) ProLon box with the dried soups/bars (as well as olives and teas, plus the L-drink (glycerol) and vitamins/minerals) doesn't sound too appealing..

I prefer fresh foods and there's plenty of info available on how to prep meals according to the rules.. salads with plenty of greens and avocado/nuts for example.. or minestrone soup (sans pasta obviously). Very similar to what I'm eating already, except lacking sufficient protein.. With the warm weather we're currently having next week would be a good time, after the Sunday Easter brunch at Mom's. Hardest part will probably be prepping food for others as well as abstaining from meat/fish/eggs/dairy for almost a week while sticking to 800 cals... Shocked

Nah, forget I said anything.. Laughing

then again I like the idea of a reset.. see for myself what it has to offer, aside from hunger.. Razz

Happy Easter!

PPam: in case you didn't see the episode the song was sung a cappella in yet another heart breakingly beautiful scene in the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJqjWVH2jrE
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:15 am

TLD sounds miserable IMHO.  Happy Easter, LB.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:04 am

LB when DH was first DX we tried Vegan, I got cookbooks, cooked everything fresh, prepped juices and salad for him everyday and myself as well. If he needed a special diet then I was doing it with him. We did this for 4mos or so. I lost nothing (I’ve learned I need protein and a more balanced diet, not to mention my problems with gluten). Anyway, DH did lose a lot and it probably did detox him a bit, but then we had to get protein back in our diets, DH was losing hair at an alarming rate and neither of us were happy. I should say, I was using beans and combining “properly”. I’m a research hound, so I made sure I was doing things right. Good luck if you attempt it.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 am

Pedidoc wrote:TLD sounds miserable IMHO.  Happy Easter, LB.

My thoughts exactly Pedi, except for the seafood days certainly not my cup of tea. and I have no intention of trying either. Thanks.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:44 am

Narrowminded wrote:LB when DH was first DX we tried Vegan, I got cookbooks, cooked everything fresh, prepped juices and salad for him everyday and myself as well.  If he needed a special diet then I was doing it with him.  We did this for 4mos or so.  I lost nothing (I’ve learned I need protein and a more balanced diet, not to mention my problems with gluten).  Anyway, DH did lose a lot and it probably did detox him a bit, but then we had to get protein back in our diets, DH was losing hair at an alarming rate and neither of us were happy.  I should say, I was using beans and combining “properly”. I’m a research hound, so I made sure I was doing things right.  Good luck if you attempt it.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply NM. Sorry for the misunderstanding, and yes I do believe that you did everything by the books in order to see if it would help DH's condition. We need adequate protein to be healthy, preferably animal based, be it eggs/dairy/seafood or meat.

I have no intention of going vegan long term, or vegetarian for that matter. Simply think of it as a 5 day fast, just that it's 'Fast Mimicking', hence you're allowed to eat small meals, (which are certainly not low fat) which according to dr. Longo's research gives even better results than a water fast. FWIW

Nils Osmar wrote:Imagine that you’re in the woods, and it’s cold outside (the equivalent of your body having no food for a while).  So you gather up all the twigs and sticks lying around, and start a fire.

This is similar to AUTOPHAGY, the period (when you’re fasting) when your body is going through its cells finding viruses, bacteria and random accumulated junk to “burn” for fuel, The body needs at least 15 grams of protein just to keep the heart beating, so if no food is coming in, it finds the building blocks of protein by scavenging for them in your cells. (It breaks cellular debris down into amino acids, then reassembles them into proteins to do the job.)

Eventually (in a day or two) you run out of twigs and sticks, or run low on them. (You’ve burned the ones that are readily available.) (And your body has burned all the easy-to-find debris in your cells.)

But it’s still cold outdoors.  So you decide to cut down a tree, and use the wood for fuel. You choose an old, half-dead tree to cut down, so as to do minimal damage to the forest.

This is similar to APOPTOSIS, when  your body kills its own cells for fuel.  It happens two or three days into the fast. The body starts by killing old, broken, malfunctioning senescent cells — which is great, because they’re the sorts of cells that leak toxins into nearby cells and tissues, soak up needed nutrients, and tend to trigger autoimmune problems and illnesses.

Then after your fast, when you start eating again, your body grows new stem cells to replace the cells that were used as fuel. Think of this as planting a new, young, healthy tree in the forest to replace the old dying tree you burned.

You’ve cleaned the forest of a bunch of twigs and sticks… cleared out an old, sickly dying tree… and planted some healthy young trees in its place.

Congratulations… good fast

http://www.nilsosmar.com/fasting-and-autophagy/autophagy-and-fasting-2/

And that is just one of many resources on the subject, most of which are backed up with studies. study Don't see any obstacle to not give it a shot., even if just this once. In order for it to work protein needs to be low, so no broth/collagen or whatever either, hence the official no animal protein rule (and be wary of protein rich plant foods as well as the limit is something like 15 grams per day). Think of it as spring cleaning.. or Konmari decluttering.. out with the old which we no longer need/use and in with the new. After all it's only 5 days... ofcourse the refeed/feast after the fast is even more important, which will be animal protein rich to rebuild and replace. Plenty of reasons to rethink old patterns, as we all do when new information, especially research-based shows up. Could be that animal fats are no problem at all and he is simply biased because of his Longevity book...
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Sounds interesting and I like the forest analogy. I will explore the link when I am at a computer again. Are you going to do it?

Sent from Topic'it App
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 am

Thanks for the excerpt LB. Explains a lot. Good analogy too.

Have fun with it. Yes, 5 days isn’t very long.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:31 am

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 29 Foto0510

We had a nice Easter brunch at Mom's on Sunday and she absolutely loved the lilacs. For those wondering, no, our normal April temps hover around 15 degrees Celsius, so it's very likely the sudden summery heat being the reason they bloomed weeks earlier than normal, similar to last year. Before that it was always in May, around Mother's Day, so perfect timing.  Smile

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 29 Foto0511

From the book, the advised version according to dr. Valter Longo (plenty of different online versions exist, which are often lower in carbs/higher in fats):

VL wrote:The Fasting Mimicking Diet Menu (What to Eat)

Day 1

* 1,100 calories
* 500 calories from complex carbohydrates (vegetables such as broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, pumpkin, mushrooms, etc.)
* 500 calories from healthy fats (nuts, olive oil)
* 1 multivitamin and mineral supplement
* 1 omega-3/omega-6 supplement
* Sugarless teas (up to 3 to 4 cups per day)
* 25 grams of plant-based protein, mainly from nuts
* Unlimited water

Days 2-5

* 800 calories
* 400 calories from complex carbohydrates (vegetables such as broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, pumpkin, mushrooms, etc.)
* 400 calories from healthy fats (nuts, olive oil)
* 1 multivitamin and mineral supplement
* 1 omega-3/omega-6 supplement
* Sugarless teas (up to 3 to 4 cups per day)
*25 grams of plant-based protein, mainly from nuts
* Unlimited water

The above components can be divided between breakfast, lunch, and dinner, or they can be taken as two meals and a snack.

Day 6

* Transition diet
* For 24 hours following the end of the five-day FMD, patients should follow a diet based on complex carbohydrates (vegetables, cereals, pasta, rice, bread, fruit, etc.), and minimize the consumption of fish, meat, saturated fats, pastries, cheeses, milk, etc.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:06 am

Beautiful lilacs.

70F here today. Things should start moving rapidly for my lilacs. My trillium have broken ground. That means the morel mushrooms are not far behind.

Love spring the most.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:37 pm

Beautiful lilacs.

So nice you could be together with Mom for Easter.

Menu doesn’t look too bad, but I might be hungry on that, not sure.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:43 am

Oh sooo very pretty! I love lilacs.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:55 am

I made some seed crackers from the Pioppi cookbook (library).. halved the recipe to be on the safe side. It's rather simple really:

75 grams of linseed
50 grams of sunflower seeds
50 grams of pepitas/pumpkin seeds

Preheat oven, 180° C (355 F).

Boil 150 ml water (microwave), add to linseeds in bowl, let it sit for about 10 minutes, add rest of seeds, a tablespoon of EVOO and a teaspoon of salt. Mix well. Spread on parchment paper, thinly and put into oven for 30 minutes, take it out, flip it on new parchment paper and remove first one, which is now on top. Another 15 minutes in the oven. Let it cool, break into cracker sized pieces.

If not crunchy enough, return to oven for another 10 minutes on 120° C.

Makes about 180 grams of crackers (and 952 cals if calculation is correct). Store in airtight container for about a week. I added some Za'atar (mix of sesame seed/sumac/thyme,/marjoram/oregano/salt/basil) to half of the batch, which gives it a nice Middle Eastern touch.

So far, so good. Only had plain water up until now to see how I'd fare without coffee as it's preferably done without, however 1 cup is allowed. Made (black) coffee and lunch (weighing all ingredients, which made me realize how much I dislike this part) while waiting on the crackers. Lunch consisted of tomatoes/bell pepper/avocado and 20 grams of the crackers. A little over 400 calories, 410 to be exact. Very Happy Not bad at all. Took my multi/B12 and magnesium and noticed I don't have any Omega 3. Neutral

No other movement than walking or gentle exercise, like yoga or such, is advised, to avoid fainting.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 am

Hope it goes well for you.  Positive thoughts sent.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks Pedi. I have no intention of pushing it, which is why I decided on this instead of water fasting for 4 days. And because I'm curious on whether I can do it. After all, hormesis is good for you, be it cold showers/intermittent fasting/training or this.

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 29 WHAT-DOESNT-KILL-YOU-MAKES-YOU-STRONGER
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:43 am

Funny cartoon.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Rig D wrote:Funny cartoon.

Thanks Rig. Thought so too.  Smile

Unrelated, just got this and thought I'd share: http://seancroxton.com/quote-of-the-day/635/ Louise Hay

Surprisingly enough I'm only vaguely hungry and so far can't report any headache or other ails. *fingers crossed* That might change when DH & DS will eat their dinner: meatballs with boiled potatoes and green beans, of which I'll only share the beans (and pan fried red onions), with some other veggies and broad beans. So happy I bought some macadamia nuts to treat myself.  Wink
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum