Deep Down & Dirty

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 28 Empty Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Annieh on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:55 pm

I can vouch for a bit of orange and nutmeg in with your soup.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:55 am

Annieh wrote:I can vouch for a bit of orange and nutmeg in with your soup.

Ras el Hanout contains cardamom, cumin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, ginger, chili peppers, coriander seed, peppercorn, sweet and hot paprika, fenugreek, and turmeric. Smile I'll definitely try the orange!

And for those that think cinnamon only goes well with desserts and the like, think again.

The classic, which most of you know as pumpkin spice, but over here is called gingerbread spices: ceylon cinnamon, coriander seeds, anise seeds, pink peppercorns, lemon zest, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom. Great addition to stews. Very Happy

Vadouvan: onion powder, mustard seed, garlic granules, onion pieces, turmeric, cardamom, fenugreek, cumin, fennel, cinnamon, chillies, tarragon, cloves, bay leaves, rose petals.

Garam masala: coriander seed, cumin seed, paprika, black pepper, cinnamon, coriander leaf, cardamom, bay leaf, clove, cayenne pepper.

Baharat: paprika, coriander seed, black pepper, cinnamon, cumin seed, cardamom, onion, garlic, nutmeg, cloves, cayenne pepper.

Picadillo: paprika powder, onion, garlic, chili, oregano, cumin seed, jalapeno, parsley, coriander leaf, black pepper, smoked paprika, lovage, cinnamon, allspice.

Yes, I've got (and use) all of these (and more) to add spicy/sweet/smoky flavours to dishes that taste good due to using fresh ingredients (including onions/shallots/garlic etc.) but could do with something extra than simply the basic salt & pepper.

Ofcourse it's necessary to balance... sweetness, sourness, saltiness, bitterness, and umami. Taste and decide whether a dish needs something sour/tart like lemon/lime juice/vinegar or perhaps a little extra salt/pepper/sweet to bring out all the flavours.

You can make all kinds of dishes from all around the world simply by changing up spices/herbs. Easy does it, don't go overboard and dump in spoonfuls of whatever you're using, but don't be afraid to try something new from time to time either.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:55 am

https://bluemindhealth.com/spring-episode-3/ A Healing Voyage

They are repeating all episodes until Sunday 11:59pm ET, but this one is definitely the best. Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:03 am

I see you are quite passionate about cooking. I enjoy it as well and trying new flavors.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 am

I have many of the spices you mention, probably all of the included ones, just not in the appropriate mixes. Love to season my food.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 am

Lovebird wrote:https://bluemindhealth.com/spring-episode-3/ A Healing Voyage

They are repeating all episodes until Sunday 11:59pm ET, but this one is definitely the best. Smile

You always bring us such important information.

This captured many of my loves, PTSD (a son), the water, invasive species, Burning Man.

So much more and I cannot thank you enough.

Now, I will try to find the other episodes.

Bless all the people involved in this effort.

PP
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:05 am

perennialpam wrote:You always bring us such important information.  

This captured many of my loves, PTSD (a son), the water, invasive species, Burning Man.  

So much more and I cannot thank you enough.  

Now, I will try to find the other episodes.  

Bless all the people involved in this effort.  

PP

You can simply scroll down the page with the linked episode and click on the other ones. They're all about water, but this one was extra special. {{HUGS}} Any time, dear PPam. And thanks for letting me know. Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:11 am

Adding my tuppence to say I am sorry for all you are experiencing, and will totally understand if you go AWOL for a time.

I would also like to add that I am very grateful for your personalised posts and your considerable research skills Smile

Love the group hug emoji Smile
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:09 am

ShelleyM wrote:I see you are quite passionate about cooking. I enjoy it as well and trying new flavors.

Narrowminded wrote:I have many of the spices you mention, probably all of the included ones, just not in the appropriate mixes.  Love to season my food.

I do like to add some variety as day to day cooking can get very tedious otherwise, especially when deciding on what to prepare, especially since it's all up to me, as the men are relatively easy to please aka not very helpful when asked what they'd like for dinner... Now I simply pick up a variety of vegetables/fruits that look the most appealing and combine that with whatever protein I'm in the mood for, shopping only every couple of days.

It's very easy to mix them up yourself when you know what goes in them, hence my posting of the ingredients. Very Happy

Another favourite, especially for chicken is Al Andalus, which contains no cinnamon... Smile but does have cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, black pepper, fennel, oregano, anise, bay leaf, parsley.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:11 am

AutumnTiger wrote:Adding my tuppence to say I am sorry for all you are experiencing, and will totally understand if you go AWOL for a time.

I would also like to add that I am very grateful for your personalised posts and your considerable research skills Smile

Love the group hug emoji Smile

Thanks AT. As tempting as it may be at times I've found it's better to try to keep up with everyone, even if not posting, as to not lose the feeling of connectedness.

Aside from that: who's gonna keep an eye out for the bad guys if I don't? Laughing
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Yes, i figured i could come to your post to see the combos if needed for various food prep. Thank you for taking the time to list them all Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:21 am

Narrowminded wrote:Yes, i figured i could come to your post to see the combos if needed for various food prep. Thank you for taking the time to list them all Smile

You're welcome. Figured it would come handy in case I ran out of any of them or decided to combine them from scratch for whatever reason.

The Vadouvan is definitely a keeper in case you like curries that are a bit smoother on the palate. That one can be used liberally. Very Happy
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:33 am

For those that could do with a reminder: your gut is intimately tied to your brain through a neural cable called the vagus nerve. So what you eat affects everything from how sharp your mind is to how good (or bad) your mood is. This is called the brain-gut connection, or the gut-brain axis. I'm sure we all know, but sometimes forget/neglect this.

And no, this hasn't come up at the current summit (yet?), but was triggered by something NM mentioned in her journal. Smile

How to Stimulate Your Vagus Nerve for Better Mental Health

1. Cold Exposure
2. Deep and Slow Breathing
3. Singing, Humming, Chanting and Gargling
4. Acupuncture
5. Yoga and Tai Chi
6. Probiotics
7. Meditation and Neurofeedback
8. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
9. Exercise
10. Zinc
11. Massage
12. Socializing and Laughing
13. Intermittent Fasting

https://www.optimallivingdynamics.com/blog/how-to-stimulate-your-vagus-nerve-for-better-mental-health-brain-vns-ways-treatment-activate-natural-foods-depression-anxiety-stress-heart-rate-variability-yoga-massage-vagal-tone-dysfunction
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:08 pm

LB always a fount of knowledge. Thank you. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:50 am

Narrowminded wrote:LB always a fount of knowledge.  Thank you. Smile

Thanks NM. Smile

Picked up some art supplies yesterday, chalk pastels and origami paper, simply because it felt like the right thing to do. Very Happy Play, just for the fun of it.

Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:06 am

Awesome, can’t wait to see one of your creations. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:03 am

LB wrote:This is called the brain-gut connection, or the gut-brain axis. I'm sure we all know, but sometimes forget/neglect this.
I was unaware of this, thanks for sharing. I learn some much from you guys.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:33 am

Narrowminded wrote:Awesome, can’t wait to see one of your creations. Smile

Nice try NM...  Very Happy I've created my first ever Kusudama flower ball... It's oddly satisfying and relaxing to fold a (small) square piece of paper into a petal, glue and secure, repeat 4 times, glue 5 petals together into a flower, repeat 12 times, glue 12 flowers together into a ball... lots of options to create a different one (flower and/or ball) for whatever occasion, or even turn the flowers into a bouquet or a wreath.

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 28 Foto0416

To the right of the ball is the trial flower...  Smile

ShelleyM wrote:
LB wrote:This is called the brain-gut connection, or the gut-brain axis. I'm sure we all know, but sometimes forget/neglect this.
I was unaware of this, thanks for sharing. I learn some much from you guys.

You're welcome. It's nice to know that freely sharing my findings gives others an opportunity to discover things they otherwise might not have picked up. Next week is the Broken Brain Summit, hosted by dr. Mark Hyman. https://brokenbrain.com/  Smile

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 28 0eqtv010

"One of the biggest lessons to learn is that you are in control of your choices — whether it is the choice to do something, avoid something, react to something, or let it go. That awareness can be incredibly empowering."

I found it also incredibly inspiring to see that so many of my meals are similar to these: https://optimisingnutrition.com/2019/03/30/what-does-nutrient-density-look-like/ so summer routine will be/remain exactly that: adequate protein and a colourful variety of seasonal veggies/fruits. Very Happy
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:44 am

Lovebird wrote:I've created my first ever Kusudama flower ball...

I found it also incredibly inspiring to see that so many of my meals are similar to these: https://optimisingnutrition.com/2019/03/30/what-does-nutrient-density-look-like/ so summer routine will be/remain exactly that: adequate protein and a colourful variety of seasonal veggies/fruits. Very Happy

Pretty flower ball.

Go, Lovebird. Yep, the basics never change, but it's nice to have confirmation to help stay the course.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:45 am

"One of the biggest lessons to learn is that you are in control of your choices — whether it is the choice to do something, avoid something, react to something, or let it go. That awareness can be incredibly empowering."

I love this!

I found it also incredibly inspiring to see that so many of my meals are similar to these: https://optimisingnutrition.com/2019/03/30/what-does-nutrient-density-look-like/ so summer routine will be/remain exactly that: adequate protein and a colourful variety of seasonal veggies/fruits. Deep Down & Dirty - Page 28 Icon_biggrin

While I am not quite there, I am working on it and dragging DH reluctantly toward more veggies! Laughing
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:05 am

What an inspiring post today LB, thank you. I enjoyed looking at the food pictures, and proudly say we are there now too. I loved the happy and sad faces on the eggs in the fifth picture down. What sauce do you suppose that is in the avocados?
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:07 pm

LB - thank you for sharing your creation, it’s beautiful.

The food pics are also inspiring. I’ve been there, but I’ve slid, I’ve got to get back.

Yes, we do have choices, nice reminder and something I definitely need right now. Thank you
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:16 pm

Wow - those are some yummy looking plates!

Nice going on the flowers! Smile
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 am

Thanks all.  Smile

This one was next:  

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 28 Foto0419

The opaque white is some sort of thick parchment paper, not as easy to fold and glue and less forgiving to mistakes, but nice result, provided one doesn't rush things. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. Very Happy As you can see it's put together differently and looks nice enough to be gifted.

We've always had plenty of veggies on our dinner plates, so that hasn't changed much, often a simple side salad and at least 2 cooked veggies unless it's Summer, then it's all raw veggies/mixed salad. However breakfast/lunch is a totally different animal nowadays, at least most of the time. Some times it's a simple snack of some raw juicy veggie (like bell pepper/cucumber etc) with precooked/leftover protein, other times a nice salad is plated and savoured, which is the preferred, yet not always convenient way.

ShelleyM, I've started a thread in the recipe section on Monday to see if anyone else might come up with a better idea http://primalforums.forumotion.com/t363-green-goddess-dressing but my guess is Green Goddess Dressing, which is really nice and simple to make.

Sue, hope you got a chance to check out the Broken Brain episode later, it's sometimes problematic due to many opting in at the same time, but it's there now. https://brokenbrain.com/pages/episode-1-live and over 42.000 people have watched it already so far (about 7 hours later). So nice that they offer a music free version, which makes it easier to focus. Sorry you're having such a tough time since returning from your holiday. (((HUGS)))

On another note: Mom's procedure on Monday went well, different doctor and approach, less pain and so far things are looking good, no erosion this time, which frees up time for Sis and me as there are merely the normal visits and checkups. I did bring her a stack of groceries on Sunday just in case. Hubby's knee has improved significantly due to his diligently doing his exercises/slow biking daily. I've been doing plenty of work in the backyard already, enjoying the spring blooms, warmth and fresh air and looking forward to relocating the potted plants that were up in the attic during the cold months. As well as a number of small repairs here and there. In other words, same as always, pretty much.

Enjoy your day!
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 am

Your folded flowers are pretty, but I can't imagine having the patience to complete one like you show.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum