Deep Down & Dirty

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 25 Empty Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by ShelleyM on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:15 pm

Lovebird wrote:I really like your smile in your avatar picture, so happy & confident. Pretty haircolour too. Smile

Thank you!!
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:33 am

Looks like I won't be visiting Mom today...  Sad it's raining cats and dogs and it's rather stormy and very likely to get even worse later...

Since my youngest sister will be driving and accompanying her to the hospital both days next week, I'll give Mom a call this afternoon.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:11 am

Instead of scrambled eggs I just had cod liver for my first meal of the day. Very Happy

Cheap (at least over here) and tasty option for plenty of Omega 3 (and vit A & D).
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 am

I ate a can of salmon for breakfast the other morning. I was so satisfied all day. The cost wasn't too bad, especially as a meal for one.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:55 am

ShelleyM wrote:I ate a can of salmon for breakfast the other morning. I was so satisfied all day. The cost wasn't too bad, especially as a meal for one.

Hence why you didn't eat anything for lunch due to not being hungry... glad to hear you ate a protein rich breakfast. Smile Not that there is anything wrong with fasting/time restricted feeding... however when starting Primal (again) it's better to simply focus on eating the right foods and avoiding the bad ones.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:01 am

The Modern Primal Blueprint®️ – The Rules of Living Today:

1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants.

Focus on quality sources of protein (all forms of meat, fowl, fish), lots of colorful vegetables, some select fruits (mostly berries), and healthy fats (nuts, avocados, olive oil). Observe portion control (calorie distribution) week to week more than meal to meal. Eliminate grains, sugars, trans- and hydrogenated fats from your diet.

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.

Do some form of low level aerobic activity 2-5 hours a week, whether it is walking, hiking, easy bike riding or swimming. Ideally, and when possible, find time to go barefoot or wear as little foot support as possible. Low-level activity is necessary (especially if you find yourself chained to a desk every day). The combined effect will be an increase in capillary perfusion, fat-burning and overall integration of muscle strength and flexibility.

3. Lift heavy things.

Go to the gym and lift weights for 30-45 minutes, 2-3 times a week. Focus on movements that involve the entire body and in wider ranges of motion – not just on isolating body parts. Emulate the movements of our ancestors: jumping, squatting, lunging, pushing, pulling, twisting, etc. This will stimulate your genes to increase muscle strength and power, increase bone density, improve insulin sensitivity, stimulate growth hormone secretion, and consume stored body fat.

4. Run really fast every once in a while.

Do some form of intense anaerobic sprint bursts several times a week. This could be as simple as six or eight (or more) short sprints up a hill, on the grass, at the beach… or repeated intense sessions on a bicycle (stationary, road or mountain bike). These short bursts also increase HGH release (HGH is actually released in proportion to the intensity (not the duration) of the exercise).

5. Get lots of sleep.

Get plenty of quality sleep. Our lives are so hectic and full of things to do after the sun goes down that it’s often difficult to get enough sleep. Yet sleep is one of the most important factors in maintaining good health, vibrant energy and a strong immune system.

6. Play.

Spend some time each week involved in active play. In addition to allowing you to apply your fitness to a real-life situation, play helps dissipate some of the negative effects of the chronic stress hormones you’ve been accumulating through the week.

7. Get some sunlight every day.

Contrary to the “Common Wisdom” dispensed by dermatologists (who suggest you shun the sun), the Primal Blueprint would insist that you get some direct sunlight every day. Certainly not so much that you come close to burning, but definitely enough to prompt your body to make the all-important vitamin D and to support the mood-lifting benefits. A slight tan is a good indicator that you have maintained adequate Vitamin D levels. Natural sunlight also has a powerful mood-elevating effect, which can enhance productivity at work and in inter-personal interactions.

8. Avoid trauma.

Eliminate self-destructive behaviors. These concepts are self evident to most people (wear seat belts, don’t smoke or do drugs, don’t dive into shallow water) yet so many of us live our lives oblivious to impending danger. Develop a keen sense of awareness of your surroundings.

9. Avoid poisonous things.

Avoid exposure to chemical toxins in your food (pesticides, herbicides, chemicals, etc) and on your skin. But also try to avoid the hidden poisons in foods like sugars, grains, processed foods, trans and hydrogenated fats, and mercury in certain fish.

10. Use your mind.

Exercise your brain daily as our ancestors did. Be inventive, creative, and aware. If your work is not stimulating (or even if it is), find time to read, write, play an instrument and interact socially.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-primal-blueprint/
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:35 am

Lovebird wrote:
ShelleyM wrote:I ate a can of salmon for breakfast the other morning. I was so satisfied all day. The cost wasn't too bad, especially as a meal for one.

Hence why you didn't eat anything for lunch due to not being hungry... glad to hear you ate a protein rich breakfast. Smile Not that there is anything wrong with fasting/time restricted feeding... however when starting Primal (again) it's better to simply focus on eating the right foods and avoiding the bad ones.

Lol! I was hungry and it was all I had at work, other than all the over processed, chemical ridden snacks sitting on the shelf. And yes it did keep me satisfied for quite some time. A love that you posted the Primal Blueprint list here. It would do us all well to read it daily and begin to incorporate what we are missing. Now I need to go update my daily goals.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Thanks for the reminders again LB

I hope convo with your Mom went well. So sorry you could not get there to see her.

Hugs
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:00 am

Narrowminded wrote:Thanks for the reminders again LB

I hope convo with your Mom went well.  So sorry you could not get there to see her.

Hugs

Thanks NM.

We had a nice chat, however she's nervous about the procedure, which is normal. Hope everything goes as planned today and will light a candle for her. Very likely she'll go to bed when she gets home as she usually does (especially since she's lost sleep over worrying about this as well as thinking about Dad) and it's comforting to know that my Sis is there with her during the visits & night.

Often when I show up despite the lousy weather she tells me I'm nuts for doing so...
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:13 am

Not sure why, but this song was in my head when I woke up...

Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 am

It's a bright and sunny day today. Very Happy I'll take that as a sign that it'll be alright.

Not sure when the procedure will get done... they are at the hospital now, but we were instructed when we made the arrangements that it wouldn't be before noon as there were other things that needed to be done first.. it'll only take a few minutes for the actual laser treatment.. then recovery.. then home.

Think I'll go over there this afternoon instead of waiting for the phone call... since I've got a few errands to run anyway. And it's a nice day for a longer walk. Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:44 am

Second load of laundry is running... meat & fish were bought as the fruit bowl still has plenty of pears & apples as well as a few mandarins and there's enough veggies for 2 to 3 days, depending on how long hubby will stay... it was a rather lazy Sunday afternoon for DS & me until he barged in (again)... he was lucky that I had fresh chicken soup in the making, which he loves, and was able to fix dinner for 3 instead of just the 2 of us as planned. Fish is a (seasonal) herring salad with beets. Very nice. We'll be having Brussel sprouts with pork loin and a few potatoes tonight, and sausage with sauerkraut tomorrow.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:35 am

Please send some sunshine my way! I would much appreciate it.

How's your mom today?

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:53 pm

Happy to hear the sun is shining where you are. I’m with Ontario, I need it here. Smile

Praying all went well with Mom’s procedure.

Hugs
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:33 pm

By the time my errands were done it was all gone again and raining...

They just got back when I arrived, prepping their lunch (around 3)... so we talked about their day and had coffee and then Mom went to bed and slept until about 6. Sis and I chatted some more (never a problem Smile ); it was obvious the anaesthesia had worn off as the pain woke her up, so we talked Mom into taking a paracetamol (what most of you know as Tylenol) and/or Ibuprofen later, which she doesn't like but hey, good sleep is important and pain sucks. The eye is covered with a gauze compress? which has to stay on until tomorrow morning. Probably no news until after the check up Tuesday.

Thanks for the prayer dear NM!
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm

I'd guess it didn't take too much persuasion to get her to take it, pain has a way of lowering those kind of obstacles.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 am

Rig D wrote:I'd guess it didn't take too much persuasion to get her to take it, pain has a way of lowering those kind of obstacles.

You'd think so, wouldn't you... she insisted on waiting it out to see if it would go away while sitting up/walking... granted, she claims to have a sensitivity to painkillers, making her feel weird and sort of 'zoning out'. Somehow they never seemed to have that effect on me...

Hope she/they had an uneventful night and got a good rest.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:12 am

I found that not keeping the pain medication going can cause more issues than not. The time I fileted the bottom of my foot is a good example. I got sick because I quit the meds...nauseous and the pain. I learned that time that it is good to keep the med going vs. waiting out the pain. I am sure she is worried about addiction too.

Poor mom.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 am

Agree. Once you start on the med, you need to keep taking it to keep it in your blood so it holds the pain off. For me, cycling between medicated tolerable discomfort to real pain is a non starter.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 am

perennialpam wrote:I found that not keeping the pain medication going can cause more issues than not.  The time I fileted the bottom of my foot is a good example.  I got sick because I quit the meds...nauseous and the pain.  I learned that time that it is good to keep the med going vs. waiting out the pain.  I am sure she is worried about addiction too.  

Poor mom.  

Rig D wrote:Agree. Once you start on the med, you need to keep taking it to keep it in your blood so it holds the pain off. For me, cycling between medicated tolerable discomfort to real pain is a non starter.

Yes, we know about that... Dad learned the hard way when he had his back surgery (as well as his hip replacement)... trust me, he caved once he learned that it's easier to stay on top of the pain that to suffer thru it and then try to ease it. I don't think she's afraid of addiction, she simply doesn't iike the feeling it gives her, a bit spacey. Pretty sure my Sis managed to make her take it though. Smile

She did not get any painkillers prescribed after the procedure, just some eyedrops she's supposed to start today to prevent inflammation, but it was suggested in the paperwork that she got to take some whenever she felt necessary as people assume you have them in the house (as they are cheap and readily available).

Haven't heard anything so far today, so I guess once again it's a busy day at the hospital... lots of waiting..
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:33 am

Prayers continue LB for pain comfort for mom and her ability to take them for a short bit.

Hugs
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:24 am

Hope that mom is feeling better today.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Some people have such an aversion to taking pain meds - even the OTC kind. Not me - if I have a headache I pop 2 Tylenol right away. Smile
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:42 pm

I do hope your mom is doing well.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:00 am

Thanks all. Smile No news is good news... or so I keep telling myself.

Hubby has been downing the ibuprofen since returning from a trip last November where he injured his knee... when it hurts severely all you want is for the pain to go away. And preferably stay away. He's down with a cold or flu now.

When it rains, it pours.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum