Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:42 am

Thank you HFF
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:Watched film, too. Sweet and irrepressibly sad for the same reason you mentioned above, LB. Loss never goes away. Fortunately we are resilient even as we carry it. I've come to realize that I will always carry that small space of sadness all my days. Doesn't mean that most days I can't enjoy contentment, though. Seems that accepting this makes it easier to move forward rather than try to get over it before going onto the next level.

Love to all that have to face this difficult part of life. Hugs to all. Tremendous hug to you NM.

Wise words HFF. Hugs back.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:00 pm

So much for good intentions... yeah, this Sunday obviously wasn't internet free as I wanted to check some things... limited though. Smile

Busy week ahead with several appointments, including going to the hospital with Mom. On the one day they forecasted plenty of rain... at least the temps go up to 10C again. Wink

Spent a nice afternoon with Mom, gifted her some Amaryllis again to cheer her up as she has been down with cold/flu again the week before last and they looked so bright.

Just had the gelled (before heating) remains of the broth (with some meat) of yesterday's hamhock. Yum.

Got to get dinner ready. Ground beef/minced meat with assorted veggies and cheese.

Bought some (stew) beef (flat iron steak?) today to make Beef Rendang tomorrow or Tuesday, to be served with either French (thin) green beans and/or broccolini.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:27 pm

So sorry your Mom is under the weather again LB. What a wonderful thing to take her some Amaryllis.

Dinner sounds delish.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Narrowminded wrote:So sorry your Mom is under the weather again LB.  What a wonderful thing to take her some Amaryllis.

Dinner sounds delish.

She's on the mend again, NM. However, she missed 2 weeks of fitness as well as volunteering, so unlike her, but necessary to recover fully.

Thanks, it was. Smile Hope yours is too.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Glad to read that your mom is on the mend. Such a worry as they age. I hope her outlook is positive. I think that is the hardest thing for me, I hear "giving up" when my mom talks and it makes me so sad.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:43 am

Meant2Move wrote:Glad to read that your mom is on the mend. Such a worry as they age. I hope her outlook is positive. I think that is the hardest thing for me, I hear "giving up" when my mom talks and it makes me so sad.

I can totally relate to that. She has/had dark(er) moments (don't we all?), especially when she was home alone in bed being ill (she should have let me know, not just my sis, as I took care of her last time, checking in and bringing stuff, making sure everything was okay...). Having swapped visiting days with youngest sis because of the hospital visit earlier that week, and neither of them did bother to inform me...  Sad yes I'm miffed about that. She knows she can reach out for whatever and I'll be right there.

She's looking forward to December, with lots of family gatherings coming up at her place. It's the quietness around the house and the eating alone she dislikes the most. Advised her to get a pet, even if just a canary that sings (she used to keep one, years ago), but 'it's messy'... ofcourse a cat would be even better. Smile She loves her plants, inside and outside and started her fitness again yesterday, all good things. Especially now that the days get darker earlier... I do worry about her from time to time too, especially when she focuses on the negative... ((HUGS))
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:44 am

It may seem paradoxical, but by taking the time to do something special you really want to do (even though you “don’t have the time”) it actually gives you more time, because it will free up some of that energy that has been stuck in the “I should do this and I should do that” space.  

This. Not just during the holiday season, but every day if possible. Smile Make/take time to do something that makes you happy, gives you joy. Even if it's just 10 minutes to read in your novel or 4 minutes to get that heart rate up.
Sit down to enjoy your breakfast/lunch. Take a nap if needed, sleep is important. Check in with your tribe even though you're busy. It's the little things that count.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:37 am

Hey NM, this link is safe to follow... (unless you fear mice, like some do spiders...) no tears, however you might find it irresistable to smile, like I did (and not think further about this, like a possible invasion, simply enjoy the thought/craft): https://www.boredpanda.com/miniature-mice-family-house-simon-dell/

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:37 am

Ran a few errands (check Wink ) and got some cute soup bowls for Mom for Christmas dinner that she has been talking about preferring over the current deep plates in which the chicken soup cools too fast to her liking.
Picked up new books at the library (including The Giver Smile ) and noticed they'll be closed for 4 weeks due to their move... means I'll have to keep an eye on returning what can't be renewed via internet or I'll have to go to another location further away to turn them in.

Edited to add: solved the issue by returning the ones I already had at home and scanned them again as new, as all the new ones were due after their re-opening... so I've got (at least) 7 weeks to read 8 books, as the Frankenstein one had arrived in between visits too.  Very Happy As always a mix of genres. Obviously.

Groceries got picked up too, still having some Beef Rendang with green beans from yesterday as DS got home late and had already eaten some, finishing some other leftovers after he got in. Something to look forward to, as I  I love you Rendang more than he does. Very Happy As is the oven roasted pork (cold cuts) that looked yummy and I simply couldn't resist getting some. Plenty of fresh fruits (kiwis/bananas/grapefruit) in the bowl.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 am

LB thank for the cute article.  Does make you smile and his photography is magical Smile. Those pics are so very cute.  I could learn to love mice from those.

Happy to hear you got your library books all sorted.  Good to know you have lots to read.  I’ve got so much on my kindle right now that needs read, I could go for months.  Some are things I like the preview to but not feeling that genre at the moment.

Dinner and food sound delish.  I have to shop when DS gets here later today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 am

You're welcome NM. Every now and again they have a really good artist sharing its work. Smile

Yeah, I've got a stack of magazines waiting as well Embarassed on a variety of subjects... I still prefer the paper version though, unless I can only get it on screen, like the current SIBO course.

Interconnected has finally arrived! Careful planning of the day is required, at least those parts that are within my control... we're bound to get wet, but it's light rain. Public transport travel to get there & back, plenty of waiting if it goes anything like last time... I hope not, as I've got a meeting late this afternoon plus it's 1 scheduled check-up for Mom, so we should be good. Smile

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:37 am

Thanks to LB and the Interconnected Series for sharing.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Thank you for sharing the series!! Smile I just watched episode 1. Such exciting information!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Can you tell me how this works?  It says the first episode is available until 6:00 PST.  So does E. 2 become available for viewing at that time?  I'm considering buying the whole package so I can have it for future review. OH SORRY - I just found the text notification and Messenger link. Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Love the mice! I used to have a woodpile full of them, but it wasn't nearly as photogenic. jocolor

Thanks for sharing Interconnected, so much good information.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 am

perennialpam wrote:Thanks to LB and the Interconnected Series for sharing.  

tomi1000 wrote:Thank you for sharing the series!! Smile  I just watched episode 1.  Such exciting information!  

The Walrus wrote:Thanks for sharing Interconnected, so much good information.

You're welcome! Glad to hear you're enjoying it and finding it helpful!

tomi1000 wrote:I'm considering buying the whole package so I can have it for future review.

The package contains so much more than these 9 videos... transcripts/an extra video/guides/Q&A ( https://www.interconnectedseries.com/own/ ), discount (50-60% off) ends when free viewing does... didn't need any notification or e-mails (but do get them without issues, unlike so many others) as the original link (not the YT one I shared here, but the video itself) gives the new link after the old one is finished. 1st one stays up for the entire time. No 2 (only vimeo) didn't work on my laptop, so had to change to computer in home office instead. Lots of info, not all new, but some of it coming together in multiple ways, connecting the dots... they're bound to have an extra weekend viewing (free) soon, for the eventually missed episodes (or to watch (some) a second time).

Here's the Plan:

STEP ONE: - AVOID THE HARMFUL STUFF
The sneaky, health-derailing toxins hiding in common household goods (and how to protect yourself against them)…

STEP TWO: - HEALING THE GUT
Which foods to cut from your diet, allowing your gut to heal naturally. Plus, recommended supplements to support your gut lining…

STEP THREE: - EATING RIGHT
A specific diet plan to feed the good bacteria in your gut. Crowd out the ‘sugar junkie’ bugs in your gut and you’ll eliminate cravings, restore energy and feel great!

STEP FOUR: - ADDING FERMENTS TO YOUR LIFE
Which foods to cut from your diet, allowing your gut to heal naturally. Plus, recommended supplements to support your gut lining…

STEP FIVE: - MAKING ADJUSTMENTS
Feel bloated after a meal? #1 simple tip to soothe away gassy pain once and for all…

STEP SIX: - SLEEP, REST, & RECOVERY
My own personal sleep hygiene plan, plus specific natural supplements to help you sleep like a baby…

STEP SEVEN: - STRESS, LIFESTYLE, & MINDSET
How to avoid stress by building your own ‘life garden’. Plus, how to identify the time-sucking weeds taking up precious space in your life…

Upgrading to a newer laptop this week (DS got a new one for his job earlier this year, he also updated it for me during the weekend), yeah resistance is futile when Firefox no longer wants to update the one I got from hubby, yet it served me well so far, moving on before it gives up by itself... at least this one has got a bigger screen and should be faster too as it's newer and university level. Smile

Last edited by Lovebird on Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:11 am

Haven't watched any of the other before mentioned summits, as the series is far too interesting and time is short. Less time spent on the interwebs means more time to play/move. Smile

For those that don't have the money to spend on the series (or simply don't want to, for whatever reason), check out dr. Datis Kharrazian. He is the expert that put together the original AIP diet (always thought it was Robb Wolf that started it, but apparently not), that was later enhanced by Sarah Ballantyne. On his site you can get a free pdf book on this brain gut info https://drknews.com/autoimmune-protocol-optin/ and there are lots of interesting YT interviews with him, that I've linked to in the past as well as newer ones. Lots of things that get mentioned in the Interconnected series, like the vagus nerve and how to stimulate it, I've learned about through him, first and foremost. He is and always will be my number 1 guy to learn from, as he knows his stuff.

That is not to say that the information in the series isn't worth the money... especially at the current price... having transcripts would be nice... the ability to re-watch over and over, especially when having severe issues. The guides sound very helpful. Smile
Then again, a lot of this info isn't new at all... (at least to me it isn't  Cool ), just nicely put together in one place, and 'back to basics' pretty much covers plenty of it, be it primal/paleo/AIP. Especially if you implement the lifestyle suggestions/rules too. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 am

I really like Datis as well. Excellent speaker as well as knowing his stuff.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:51 am

I love how you have broken down the different parts of that series. It sounds incredibly interesting. I might have to investigate watching this myself.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am

Narrowminded wrote:I really like Datis as well.  Excellent speaker as well as knowing his stuff.

Very Happy

https://ultimatehealthpodcast.com/dr-datis-kharrazian-brain-health/
https://ultimatehealthpodcast.com/dr-datis-kharrazian/ on thyroid

ONTARIO wrote:I love how you have broken down the different parts of that series. It sounds incredibly interesting. I might have to investigate watching this myself.

As we are on episode 6 today (thyroid/obesity/diabetes) you'd better hurry...  Smile

https://www.interconnectedseries.com/episode6tyv That should give you time to watch until about 9 PM tonight... next episode link is to be found in the text within the video when/where it says the requested video is no longer available...

What I posted is in one of the offered guides, but also why I suggest not all is new... which reminds me of your journal title... we often know better, yet don't implement all that we are aware to be important...

This is how the episodes are listed:

INTERCONNECTED:
The Power to Heal From Within

Episode #1: The Invisible Organ: The Missing Piece In Health and Longevity

Episode #2: The Human Microbiome: The Raging Battle from Within

Episode #3: The Truth About Probiotics

Episode #4: The Trouble With Toxins: Staying Alive In A Toxic World

Episode #5: The Kids Aren’t All Right: Leaky Gut - Leaky Brain - Leaky Kids

Episode #6: The Microbiome Solution: Thyroid, Obesity, And Diabetes

Episode #7: The Microbiome Solution: Cancer, Immunity, And Heart Disease

Episode #8: Ancient Wisdom and Modern Technology: The Keys To Personalized, Individualized, Made-For-You Medicine

Episode #9: Healing Yourself: A Bright Future
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:33 am

Guess everybody already knows about the vagus nerve and its importance as well as how to activate it...  

still, I'll share anyway:

Four Functions of the Vagus Nerve

Parasympathetic: Activates the parasympathetic nervous system, bringing the body out of fight-or-flight mode to relaxation.
   Afferent: Acts as an information superhighway, communicating information back and forth between the brain and the body’s organs.
   Motor: Controls the contraction of the muscles at the back of the neck, as well as the muscles that activate the vocal cords.
   Sensory: Responsible for sensory of the skin within the ear, an important factor when working to improve the activity of the vagus nerve.

Three easy and accessible methods you can incorporate right away include gargling, activating the gag reflex, and humming or chanting.

Gargling

How: Fill a glass with salted warm water and gargle it at the back of your throat. Gargle so hard that you actually start to tear up.

Why: The four functions of the vagus nerve are innervated by different closely related nuclei in your brain stem. You know that electrical activity is happening when your tearing glands get activated, which means you’re stimulating enough to activate the afferent reflex of the vagus nerve.

Activate the Gag Reflex

How: Everytime you brush your teeth, use the toothbrush to stimulate your gag reflex.

Why: The muscles in the back of the throat are activated by the vagus nerve, so if we stimulate the gag reflex, we stimulate the vagus nerve.

Humming and Chanting

How: The easiest way is through chanting Om, but it can be as simple as singing along to the radio. Put your hand on your throat when you do this and notice the vibration there.

Why: A monotone voice can be one symptom of low vagus nerve activity. If the muscles that activate your vocal cords are not strong, you won’t be able to go up and down with your voice. You need to train the muscles, and chanting or humming is one of the most effective ways to do this.

https://thelivingproofinstitute.com/improve-almost-any-chronic-health-condition-in-less-than-3-days/

This used to be common practice... Neutral btw they (Sachin Patel & co) do have some free guides on leaky gut and AIP too, just in case you need to be reminded (again) on the steps: remove/replace/repair/rebalance . Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 am

Thank you LB.

The Vegus nerve can also cause you to pass out if you gut has an issues. Something that happened last year with DD when she got her concussion and also my dear Dr friend when she got food poisoning. Threw up and passed out.

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 am

Narrowminded wrote:Thank you LB.

The Vegus nerve can also cause you to pass out if you gut has an issues.  Something that happened last year with DD when she got her concussion and also my dear Dr friend when she got food poisoning.  Threw up and passed out.

Interesting. I never knew that.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 am

Which is why when you OD on Brain Oil and have the stomach cramping, you can get hot flashes and feel light headed.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next