Deep Down & Dirty

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Vh67 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:53 pm

I am glad to see you back too! I know I appreciate all you do here! But sometimes you do need to step back from the internet. I am trying to do that myself, especially the news but I have not been too successful yet!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:23 am

LB - I read the entire series on the black cat yesterday.  Thank you for the link.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:11 am

You're welcome Pam. Story as well as cat/pics are fun.

Ontario, Narrowminded, Vh67... thanks for your kind comments. Sorry for the confusion... I wasn't gone at all. Merely limited my laptop usage, and therefor internet time, purposely. I check in here every day (except for about 7 Sundays in a row, but it's much quieter here then) to see if there are any unwelcome guests or my help is wanted one way or another. Just didn't feel like posting much, but kept up with the tribe regardless. The thought of going totally offline for a week or longer... pure horror! Smile And unless forced in whatever way... more or less undoable. A vacation would be nice though.

I'd miss you all far too much. *hugs*

Which is why I'm tempted to sneak in on Sundays too, but a promise to myself is worth the same as a promise to someone else. Also the reasoning is still valid.

If anyone needs anything from me specifically, simply ask for it. Doesn't need to be here at DD&D, your own journal/thread is equally visible to me (or send a PM instead).

Regarding TV: I mostly watch certain favourite series and the occasional movie. Love documentaries and good cooking shows too. No news, at least not on purpose.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi LB,
Pleased to read you are taking time for you and evaluating carefully your needs. So easy to just give and give and not ask for or even be aware of what one needs.

Lovely Willow - thanks for that.
Take care!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:51 pm

Happy to hear you are still around if not posting.  Yes, declaring a day for just you, is definitely a plus.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:33 am

Meant2Move wrote:Hi LB,
Pleased to read you are taking time for you and evaluating carefully your needs. So easy to just give and give and not ask for or even be aware of what one needs.

Lovely Willow - thanks for that.
Take care!

Thank you. It's one thing to be aware of what you need/want... another to speak up about it.  Smile

Narrowminded wrote:Happy to hear you are still around if not posting.  Yes, declaring a day for just you, is definitely a plus.

That wouldn't be Sunday though, as those afternoons are with Mom, most of them anyway.

The time spent on the internet is also me time. Checking in with my friends (e-mail and forum) as well as educating/entertaining myself. What I need to do more is focus on sleep and (physical) strength and simply be, as meals/beverages are pretty decent most of the time. As well as set and protect boundaries, as I tend to respect others' more than my own (or that they do mine as a result of that)...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Good that your mom stood her ground for what she knows to work.  Makes me mad how witless some doctors are with our health.   I'm grateful my mom only needs thyroid meeds up to now.

"Mom gifted me an Anemone Flower in Spring. It blossomed beautiful for months and then it died off, or so it seemed. She threw hers away then, but I've kept mine where it wasn't too visible, between the potted herbs. Not sure exactly of the time, but at some point, a month or 2 ago, I noticed new leaves popping up, so it got a more prominent spot again."

Aaaw, I love when that happens.  :]   Hope you have more flowers building up in the renewed plant.

"the whole 'none at all is easier than moderation'."
moderation sort of turns to vegetative state for me.
All were stress duelers, like alcohol is to some.  
I TOTALLY get this.  I realized my internet binges were a way to dull my senses to stress.  But, nothing was moving forward either.  I had to cut time online.   Same with TV.   What Ontario said.
Too much garbage news.   I hate what's happening around me, but, I need to fire forward with full focus.  Not easy. Glad you carved yourself an inner haven.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:37 am

Heuristicfireflower... you've got no idea how much we miss you when you're not around. *hugs*

Not sure Mom would have resisted doctor's advice, this was the pharmacy/insurance... glad to hear your Mom only has 1 drug to deal with so far. They all have side effects, which then need to be countered...

Heuristicfireflower wrote:
Aaaw, I love when that happens.  :]   Hope you have more flowers building up in the renewed plant.

It's still going strong... no flowers yet, as it's a Spring flower, but it looks really healthy. Potted plants are all inside the house now and some of them started to bloom again, once inside. Not sure that's a good thing (I should probably cut them back or at least find a cooler place for them to survive winter months, but they look so pretty... )

Heuristicfireflower wrote:"the whole 'none at all is easier than moderation'."
moderation sort of turns to vegetative state for me.
All were stress duelers, like alcohol is to some.  
I TOTALLY get this.  I realized my internet binges were a way to dull my senses to stress.  But, nothing was moving forward either.  I had to cut time online.   Same with TV.   What Ontario said.
Too much garbage news.   I hate what's happening around me, but, I need to fire forward with full focus.  Not easy. Glad you carved yourself an inner haven.

This hits home... in order to change things and grow, we've got to (learn to) let go... work thru the pain and whatever we need to deal with, instead of being in denial and occupying our minds otherwise. Thanks, dear HFF.

Gretchen Rubin wrote:Here are 30 things I do to make myself happier when I need an immediate boost:

Do ten jumping jacks.
  Go outside and look at the sky.
  Pet my dog Barnaby. Then…
  Text a photo of Barnaby to my family.
  Re-read a few chapters of a children’s or YA book in a series I love: Graceling, Harry Potter, Narnia, Melendy Quartet, etc.
  Enjoy a beautiful smell.
  Do a small good deed for someone else.
  Clear some clutter (I can always find some).
  Look for a beautiful color in my surroundings.
  Call my sister Elizabeth.
  Take a minute to be grateful for some basic aspect of my life: elevators, space heaters, Wikipedia.
  Send a family update (to learn more about “update,” listen to episode 2 of the Happier podcast).
  Clean off my desk.
  Copy some quotations into my giant trove of quotations.
  Look at my TimeHop app.
  Make sure I’m not cold, hot, thirsty, hungry, need to go to the bathroom, or experiencing mild discomfort: in other words, treat myself like a toddler.
  Re-copy my to-do list, so it’s fresh and clean.
  Go to the library.
  Watch an episode of The Office (American version).
  Make the positive argument.
  Randomly read a few pages of Virginia Woolf’s A Writer’s Diary.
  Make myself a cup of coffee.
  Make a plan for some future fun: plan an outing, make a date with a friend, add a book to my library list.
  Re-read Winston Churchill’s eulogy for Neville Chamberlain.
  Tackle some small, nagging task that’s been weighing on my mind.
  Move with more energy, put a smile on my face. When I act happier, I’ll feel happier.
  Plan to go to bed early. I always feel better in the morning.
  Hug a member of my family (whoever’s available).
  Allow myself to do some quick research on a subject that has been fascinating me, but is unrelated to my work.
  Listen to Nina Simone sing “Feeling Good.”

https://gretchenrubin.com/2018/11/30-tips-happier

It's the little things... and so easy to forget. Hence the reminder.  Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:51 am

We've crossed the 15.000 posts line... Very Happy

I know I haven't been very faithful with my journaling lately... mostly posting thoughts and not so much daily stuff, nor responding to other peoples' journals, however there were plenty of wise and helpful things posted, all over the place, which makes me grateful for the lovely tribe we've got here. *group hug*
Even though I still miss the people I got to know better over at MDA which never found their way over here due to having left because of the forum issues (or joined but don't post much, for whatever reason Sad ).

We celebrated Mom's birthday last weekend, which was a nice family get together with tasty homemade buffet style food, not all primal but very good. Lots of laughter and chatting. Some planning for December already, as well as discussing some meal prep/thoughts, including beef tongue and whole duck and a scrapple like dish, that apparently contains pork tongues too, not just the more or less familiar offal... fatty but yummy.

Went to the hospital together this week, to see Mom's eye doc. Lots of extra waiting time, as they had 2 docs calling in sick that day... however everything looks fine, IOP was not just within healthy range, but low, like last time. Another test needs to be done later this month as they failed to plan it in now... Got the new eye drops there without any issues or extra payment at all. Plus it was a bright and sunny day, so more or less perfect, especially for November. Wink

Got some gorgeous Amaryllis flowers in a large vase, enjoying their lovely scent (gifted some to Mom too, as she won't buy them herself, despite loving them). Went back to the store yesterday to pick up a beautiful pink Anthurium plant (Flamingo flower) that caught my eye on Wednesday, and lucky me, it was still there... wouldn't have been safe with our most adventurous bird, but these 2 aren't as curious/destructive and don't venture out to take a bite out of any plants, not even those that I especially bought for them...

Last week I decided to put up some outdoor bird food, as the temps all of a sudden dropped immensely, but since then it has been raining mostly and I haven't seen much birds on it so far... aside from the fat doves that are strolling around right now. Neutral

Chicken stock is in the making. Most meals were/are meats & veggies, with the occasional potato thrown in, when it complements the dish. Some extra chocolate snuck its way back into the menu... I I love you dark chocolate, most of it plain or mocha, some sour cherry/chili pepper... so good with a cup of coffee... made some tiramisu for dessert yesterday to accompany the Italian meal we had (no tagliatelle for me Cool ) and surprise the men. Embarassed

Worked some on an outside paint job (street side) while weather permitted, but that's over for now. Some backyard work planned for dry days to come. Lots of laundry (and cleaning), but what else is new. Had the house to myself for a few days/nights the week before last, but cooked decent (simple) primal meals of fresh protein & veggies regardless, as I am worth it. Started a more regular training/movement protocol again, same reason. Upped the H2O/tea/hot water, as coffee doesn't seem to like me anymore as much as I'd like... Sad

Enjoy your weekend and take good care of yourself. Wink Luv ya!

http://seancroxton.com/quote-of-the-day/521/

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:19 am

LB sounds like a bunch of good things going on in your world.

Love me some dark chili chocolate as well.

The flowers sound lovely and I love the plant you posted.

Enjoy whatever warm weather you have while you have it.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks, dear NM. I do prefer to focus on the positive, which ofcourse is easier when not having to deal with what you're going through (or several others here, for that matter) and it's always nice to know parents are as healthy/happy as can be. Sunny days in Autumn/Winter are to be savoured, when possible.

Today it's raining, so I'll get to iron a heap of laundry. Razz

As you can see the pink ones have barely started blooming, while the striped ones are showing off. Anticipation is often the best part. Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:13 am

Gorgeous flower and yes anticipation of what the bloom will actually look like is fun.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Pretty flowers and plants.  Dark chocolate with chili is a go-to over here.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:30 am

Narrowminded wrote:Gorgeous flower and yes anticipation of what the bloom will actually look like is fun.

Pedidoc wrote:Pretty flowers and plants.  Dark chocolate with chili is a go-to over here.

Thank you!

To show you the pink ones (and the new white and red ones, as they are on sale this week Very Happy ), too bad I can't share the scent, so nice...:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:21 am

Beautiful LB thanks for sharing the bright flowers.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Lovebird wrote:We've crossed the 15.000 posts line... Very Happy

The domain name is up for renewal on November 27th. We will be able to mark our one year anniversary of Primal Forums! cheers

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:25 pm

wow those are very beautiful flowers!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:37 pm

Beautiful flowers and a big thank you to those of you who make this site possible!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:37 am

Narrowminded wrote:Beautiful LB thanks for sharing the bright flowers.

tomi1000 wrote:wow those are very beautiful flowers!

Meant2Move wrote:Beautiful flowers and a big thank you to those of you who make this site possible!

You're welcome. Very Happy

ONTARIO wrote:
Lovebird wrote:We've crossed the 15.000 posts line... Very Happy

The domain name is up for renewal on November 27th. We will be able to mark our one year anniversary of Primal Forums! cheers

Indeed we will. Smile We all did it together, as it's our forum, and a place for the tribe to hang out together and share. cheers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:11 am

We had sauerkraut with grilled pork belly with mustard and some potato mash for dinner yesterday. Today it's the veggie leftovers with smoked sausage.  Smile Planned for tomorrow: pulled pork with sautéed red bell peppers. It's probably a good thing and pretty obvious we love pork, as we had pork tenderloin with lots of oven roasted veggies the night before. Very Happy Normally there's more variation in meat choices, then again, it's different preparations/cuts, so... Perhaps we'll exchange the pulled pork for something else though, but I doubt DS cares, as long as it tasts good. Cool

As mentioned elsewhere, the sun is shining. Some silly dove flew into one of the big windows earlier... twice in about half an hour... as it could still fly away no harm was done, probably got blinded by the light somehow...
Temps are currently 13°C (55°F), dropping towards 3°C next week (37°F), freezing during the night.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:24 am

Hard to believe we are at the one year anniversary! I also want to thank everyone for keeping this going.

We are big fans of pork too. The lovely thing about pork is it is versatile and different cuts taste very different. And pork belly is amazing! Have you tried lamb belly? We get from a small butcher in Philly. We smoke it and call it lamb candy. So good!

It is nice to see your flowers! After the last few freezing nights, even my marigolds are gone! I want to find a Christmas cactus or two to brighten up the house.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 am

Your temps are dipping, too, I see. What is a seasonable temperature for your winter? Do you get much snow?

I agree with the pork - it's a wonderful protein. I also love pork. A nice, spiral ham is my favourite cut. But pork belly is pretty darned tasty too! I have a pork butt in the freezer just waiting to be smoked on the barbeque and shredded into pulled pork. Love, love, love that meal!

Have you ever tried pork trotters? They are a very inexpensive cut but they are very, very flavourful. Hubby has a great recipe he uses to make a delicious appetizer from them.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Pork seems to be the meat of the day. I had pork chops tonight Smile

Also want to thank you and the tribe for a great year.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Vh67 wrote:Hard to believe we are at the one year anniversary!  I also want to thank everyone for keeping this going.  

We are big fans of pork too.  The lovely thing about pork is it is versatile and different cuts taste very different.  And pork belly is amazing!  Have you tried lamb belly?  We get from a small butcher in Philly.  We smoke it and call it lamb candy. So good!

It is nice to see your flowers!  After the last few freezing nights, even my marigolds are gone!  I want to find a Christmas cactus or two to brighten up the house.  

Someone should probably start a separate thread to show everyone involved how much this forum is appreciated... after all it isn't just me, it's Ontario & RigD too, for keeping it a safe and primal place, and all the regular and less regular posters. Smile

Love to try some of that lamb candy. Sounds lovely! Pork belly is awesome... melt in your mouth good...

It's always sad to see the last of the blooming flowers gone as the temps go down, especially the sturdier ones. My christmas cactuses already are full of buds, some of those I've had for many years, ready to start their show and as you say 'brighten up the house'.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Yesterday at 12:07 am

ONTARIO wrote:Your temps are dipping, too, I see. What is a seasonable temperature for your winter? Do you get much snow?

I agree with the pork - it's a wonderful protein. I also love pork. A nice, spiral ham is my favourite cut. But pork belly is pretty darned tasty too! I have a pork butt in the freezer just waiting to be smoked on the barbeque and shredded into pulled pork. Love, love, love that meal!

Have you ever tried pork trotters? They are a very inexpensive cut but they are very, very flavourful. Hubby has a great recipe he uses to make a delicious appetizer from them.

Compared to you? Smile Moderate and minimal. We do get some snow during winter months, and sometimes wake up to a marvelous winter wonderland, or watch it go white (and quiet, so lovely) during the day. Never as long or high as in Canada though, nor the States. We've got a temperate maritime climate here, which means it rains more than we'd like. Last summer was a rather hot one though...

I share your love for a good pulled pork. Then again, who doesn't...

Nope, never had any (unless buried unrecognizably in a dish). One of our supermarkets used to have them, but the store has been taken over and I haven't seen any for years. I do buy some pork piece that are probably referred to as ham hocks though, so if you're willing to share, I'd be interested.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next