Deep Down & Dirty

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Happy to hear the tooth issue got sorted quickly LB. Getting it all done in one shot was nice too.

I do like Autumn, but Spring is probably better, depending on rain. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:17 am

Heuristicfireflower wrote:Serious Eats has been a great source of prepping foods and tidbits of info on some basic cooking techniques.  As far as game.……I love Peking Duck and maybe tongue on occasion.  Odd parts?  I love menudo aka tripe in red chile broth and hominy.   How cool to have such variety of edibles in your neck of the woods.

The Quote on simplicity is so relevant to me, right now.   I enjoy reading and picking up on the tranquility of your activities.  Hope to get to such a point in my life one day.

Hope the tooth repair went well....

Heuristicfireflower! *hugs* Missed you girl! Thanks for the visit!

I love Serious Eats. Never had any tripe. Not sure where to get it if I wanted to either... nor any kidneys or thymus gland... lots of good butchers have closed down their business due to age and not having a suitable youngster to take over. My grandmother used to make 'Tête de veau' (French 'calf's head') when I was very young. It looked like this:

except we'd be served a slice of bread on the side (warm meat). Very delicious (didn't know what it was made of then, Laughing one of my uncles was a butcher, too bad I wasn't interested in all these things when he was still alive Sad he was one of the good ones, very conscientious (I don't mind paying more when I get better quality and/or advice)).

My Mom made a similar dish a few years ago (when Dad was still alive), yet out of a calf's knee, very good broth.

Tooth is as good as new! Very Happy
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:33 am

tomi1000 wrote:So great that the dental office could fit you in AND get it all done in one visit!  Good service.!  

Funny --- I used to hate fall.  Everything dying and going into dormant phase always made me feel sad.  But this year is different for me - I'm looking forward to the stillness that fall/winter brings.  I'm enjoying watching the tree's turn color and pruning back my perennials so they can sleep the cold away.  

They do have great service. I was lucky that they had a cancellation for the afternoon, otherwise it would simply have been damage control. There are plenty of female dentists working there these days, all working part time, some just 1 or 2 days of the week, so as long as one doesn't mind a different face they can fix things quickly.

Yeah, perhaps it's an age thing... Cool Never hated any of the seasons though, it just is what it is. Ofcourse the fresh new greens in Spring are lovely, but there's something about the harvest (nuts/apples etc) and the colours of Autumn; I especially love October.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:53 am

ONTARIO wrote:Another ostrich meat lover, here! I think it's quite good, though harder to source here. We have an ostrich farm within 100 km of our home. We're actually planning a visit.

LOVE the socks! I'm also a fan of vibrant socks. Why not add a little fun? Life's far too short to wear boring socks. Very Happy

Cyclamen - this is the colour of our front door! It's certainly a beautiful colour.

Not that easy to get here either, and only watched them in the zoo... but ostrich tastes good!

Thanks! This year's AS are so much more colourful than before, I just had to get a pair.

That's quite a choice for a front door! Very bright. Very Happy I used to prefer white cyclamen for years, but nowadays I choose the more colourful ones. They keep well in our house as it's not as hot as in other people's.

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:10 am

Narrowminded wrote:Happy to hear the tooth issue got sorted quickly LB.  Getting it all done in one shot was nice too.

I do like Autumn, but Spring is probably better, depending on rain. Smile

They're always very accommodating, especially with emergencies. Yeah, that was a nice touch, saves time.

Depending on rain... have to admit I forgot about that... Surprised then again Spring was rather wet this year. Especially compaired to Summer. Flat roof showed some whiteness this morning. Shocked Guess the night temps dropped faster than expected. They are supposed to go up again next week though...

All seasons have their perks. So far the backyard is still very green and most of my potted plants still bloom.

I used to joke to my Dad that even though they forecasted night frost at the ground level my potted ones would be somewhat safe as they are placed higher than that... at least 6 inches.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:44 am

Gipsy soup

Balkan main course

> 120 min.

INGREDIENTS 4 people

** 150 grams of dried chickpeas
** 1.5 liters of water
** 400 grams of beef stew meat/soup meat
** 200 grams of bacon (piece)
** 150 grams of chorizo sausage
** 1 onion
** 1 red bell pepper
** 100 grams of carrot
** 100 grams celeriac
** 25 grams of butter / olive oil
** 2 potatoes
** 2 tomatoes
** 200 grams of white cabbage
** garlic
** 2 cloves
** saffron
** salt
** pepper

The chickpeas need to be soaked for about 8 hours (unless you buy canned, then you can add them (after rinsing thoroughly) with the potato cubes) and it takes about 2 to 3 hours. (including cleaning and chopping meat/veggies)

Preparation

** Rinse the chickpeas and soak them for about 8 hours in plenty of water.

** Turn on the heat and get the water to boil in a very large pan.
** Cut the beef into cubes and add as soon as the water boils. Turn down the heat to simmer for about 1 hour.

** Add the soaked chickpeas and let it all simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat.
** Meanwhile clean and chop the veggies

** Add the bacon and chorizo (both whole) and cook on low for about 15 minutes
** Add the onion, the red bell pepper (without seed lists), the carrot and celeriac.
** Let this simmer on for another 45 minutes...

** Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes. Cut the tomatoes into pieces and the white cabbage in not too thin shreds. Chop the garlic into small pieces.

** Heat the olive oil in a separate pan and add the onion, bell pepper, carrot, celeriac, heat and stir a bit until they look glazed.

** Add the vegetables to the soup, together with the potatoes, the tomatoes, the white cabbage, the garlic, the cloves and the saffron.

** Simmer the soup in a closed pan, cook on a low fire for 45 minutes.

** Take out the bacon and sausage and cut them into chunks. Add them back in and taste to see if it needs any salt and/or pepper.

It's really a very adaptable to taste dish... you can add more of the things you like/love and leave out those that you don't. This however is the original recipe.

You can also substitute things to make it lower carb, like radishes for the potatoes. I can easily leave out the beans (be it chickpeas or other (since hubby doesn't care for chickpeas at all)) as both men wouldn't mind as long as there's enough meat in it, especially the bacon/chorizo. I think this would be good with pork shoulder too, instead of the beef.
Pretty much always adding more/different veggies than the recipe calls for, except for the first few times; even at one point used butternut squash (cubed), which was a nice change. Nearly always forget about the cloves... and often the saffron.

Like so many recipes the taste is even better the day after. Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 am

I love a good soup! That recipe reminds me of the soups my grandma used to make. Of course, what meats and veggies she used depended on what she had but it always had tomatoes, cabbage and potatoes. And fall and winter storage vegetables just seem perfect for soups!

I love all the seasons but fall might edge out the others slightly. Growing up in Northern California, we did not have true distinct season like we do on the east coast. Here, just when you are tired of the hot/cold, a new season starts. Fall is lovely because it is cooler but you still have the remnants of summer.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Vh67 wrote:I love a good soup!  That recipe reminds me of the soups my grandma used to make.  Of course, what meats and veggies she used depended on what she had but it always had tomatoes, cabbage and potatoes.   And fall and winter storage vegetables just seem perfect for soups!  

I love all the seasons but fall might edge out the others slightly.  Growing up in Northern California, we did not have true distinct season like we do on the east coast.  Here, just when you are tired of the hot/cold, a new season starts.  Fall is lovely because it is cooler but you still have the remnants  of summer.  

Thanks Val! This Summer has been a rather hot & dry one, so I don't mind the drop in temps so much. Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Soup looks delish LB. Thanks for sharing. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:33 am

I judged wanted to pop in and say how much I love your new avatar. It's quite pretty.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks Ontario.  Smile

And thanks to Narrowminded for mentioning it in her journal too.

NM wrote:Love your new avatar. Beautiful.

I especially love the spark of sunlight... and it reminded me of how I used to stop during walks and look up to the tree tops in awe at their height.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:30 am

I could talk/write about work work, housework, garden work, homework, chores etc and list all that I managed this week, which no doubt would feel and sound like I accomplished a lot... however, where's the fun in that. Wink  Next time...

I went on a trip down Memory Lane this week... visited a number of sites/places that I used to frequent and where I met a bunch of wonderful people that are no longer part of my life. It made me feel sad and grateful at the same time... some will always be a part of me as I will never forget them, for they taught me a lesson or brought great joy. Or both. Not necessarily at the same time.

Triggered by an invitation to a reunion, which I will not (be able to) attend as the date is already spoken for. Not that I would have otherwise... as my best friend won't be there either...

I have great people like that in my life right now too, whom I love and cherish and protect/support where and when needed and possible.

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:29 am

LB I’ve read that before, and it is so true. Thanks for sharing it here for all to see.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:05 am

Narrowminded wrote:LB I’ve read that before, and it is so true.  Thanks for sharing it here for all to see.

It never ceases to amaze me how you find time to pop into other peoples' journals and leave a message.

Thanks!
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 am

Forgot to mention that we finally have a date & time for Mom's eye doc visit. Early November.... They were 'too busy' to plan it during the suggested timeline (late August)...

At the pharmacy they tried to give her different IOP eyedrops, saying she would have to pay extra for her normal ones... she took them (they suggested she'd try them), thought about it and returned them 2 days later without opening, insisting on the prescripted ones and paid the extra. She told me about it on Sunday during my weekly visit and I checked them online yesterday (however acknowledged she probably did the smart thing there, as it didn't sound good at all )... same working ingredients, yet different preservative. One that is known for damaging the cornea and causing dry eyes... jeez. Sad No

I've read how some of the others here (M2M, NM, PPam etc) mentioned that their parents (' generation) obey doctor's orders without hesitation or question and to be fair my Mom is like that too (more often than I'd like), but she can be a stubborn one too and won't accept this kind of thing. Smile She denied the PPI that was offered by them a number of years ago, for 'protecting the stomach lining' as it wasn't subscribed by her family doctor (and he still hasn't suggested it either). Which I think is a good thing, knowing what damage these drugs can cause.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:30 am

And the baby plants that ended up in the 'nursery'? They're doing great, look healthy and developed their roots just fine, all 6 of them. They'll make a nice gift once they've grown somewhat more. Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:07 am

for those that don't have the time either to watch a close to 7 hour debate, however are interested. Plus Chris Masterjohn is really smart. Smile

Other than that it's pretty much the same old same old... need more hours in the day to keep up with what interests me and check the things off of my to do list in time.

Kelly McGonigal, Yoga for Pain Relief (and more). Such a nice and relaxing voice...  Cool

Have a great day everyone! And a successful New Beginning one! Very Happy
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:28 am

Good summary. I think I would have gone nuts listening to 7 hours of this stuff.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:13 am

LB visiting with my tribe gives me joy. It’s the friends I don’t have in person. Being here with DH gets lonely.

If I have time, I’ll take a look at the vids

Glad to hear you Mom had a second thought about the eye drops. I’m sure the pharmacy was just trying to save her some money, but close doesn’t always cut it.

Good news on the baby plants as well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 am

NM wrote:LB visiting with my tribe gives me joy. It’s the friends I don’t have in person. Being here with DH gets lonely.

That part I get. Totally. Just where you find the time in that busy schedule of yours... Ofcourse making time for whatever makes you happy is key to staying healthy. As well as sane.  Smile

NM wrote:If I have time, I’ll take a look at the vids

Posted them here to remind me, as I haven't finished either of them. Yet.

NM wrote:Glad to hear you Mom had a second thought about the eye drops. I’m sure the pharmacy was just trying to save her some money, but close doesn’t always cut it.

Weird thing is that they were completely paid for by the insurance company (once you've paid the own risk part entirely) until now, and both my parents have had these specific ones for many years, without issues. It's insurance policy, I get that part, but why change during the year... there's no way she's gonna risk anything as things looked so good, intraocular pressure wise, last time we were at the hospital. We'll see what they have to say about it.

NM wrote:Good news on the baby plants as well.

They are really tiny. So cute.

Mom gifted me an Anemone Flower in Spring. It blossomed beautiful for months and then it died off, or so it seemed. She threw hers away then, but I've kept mine where it wasn't too visible, between the potted herbs. Not sure exactly of the time, but at some point, a month or 2 ago, I noticed new leaves popping up, so it got a more prominent spot again. Another one that needs a cool frost free place to stay (not coming in for another week or so, as it's rather nice this week), and then next year it'll get planted somewhere in the backyard.

RigD wrote:Good summary. I think I would have gone nuts listening to 7 hours of this stuff.

Exactly.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Generally I check in here during meals. I eat alone, so I don’t, I eat with friends Smile

So nice that the plant came back. Hopefully it will survive the winter inside.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17