Deep Down & Dirty

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 16 Empty Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Lovebird on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:33 am

It's kind of Autumn weather today... drizzling and all...

Forecast for next week is 30/31 C (87 F) again...

We're having Spanish Chicken tonight http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/spanish-style-chicken-bake... with oven roasted cauliflower.

Not exactly following the recipe, but close enough...  Wink

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 16 Spanish-Chicken-Bake

Ingredients

1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
   1 medium red onion, cut into 8 wedges
   500g new potatoes, quartered lengthways
   8 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
   8 medium tomatoes, quartered
   75g chorizo
   8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
   ½tsp sweet smoked paprika
   ½tsp dried oregano
   1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
   Flaked sea salt
   Freshly ground black pepper

Method

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the onions, potatoes, garlic and tomatoes in a large roasting tin and season with sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Toss everything together lightly and roast for 20 minutes.

While the vegetables are roasting, skin the chorizo and cut the meat into thin slices – 5mm is about right. Put the chicken thighs on a board and carefully slash each one 2 or 3 times with a knife. Season all over with black pepper. Mix the paprika and oregano together and set aside.

Take the roasting tin out of the oven, scatter the chorizo over the veg and turn everything a couple of times. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and chorizo and sprinkle with the paprika and oregano. Season with a little salt and return to the oven for 20 minutes.

Take the tin out of the oven. Holding one corner carefully with an oven cloth, lift the tin a little so all the juices run to the opposite end, then spoon and drizzle the juices back over the chicken. Tuck the pepper strips loosely around the chicken and vegetables.

Turn the oven up to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Put the tin back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until the peppers are just softened and the chicken is golden and crisp.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 am

Looks delish.

We had a few Autumn days, but now back to the hotness for a bit.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:33 am

Reading/studying whenever I find the time. Decluttered some. Work/chores as scheduled. Got groceries in between.

We're having pulled pork for dinner, with Belgian endive salad (and some pan-fried potatoes for DS). Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:08 pm

https://autoimmunerevolution.org/

Dr. Peter Osborne - Nov 5-11

Lots of familiar names to be interviewed, so if you've got the time... Wink
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for another great link!

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:44 am

ONTARIO wrote:Thanks for another great link!

No doubt that'll be the recipe link, not the AIP summit... Wink

Read your request on paleo recipe blogs and the only ones still allowed to my inbox are PaleoRunningMomma which I've linked to several times here and at MDA and Steph Gaudreau from StupidEasyPaleo, ditto (she's gonna overhaul her blog as she no longer wants to focus on pure paleo, but on properly prepared real, whole, nutrient-dense foods, which I understand completely as that is my focus too). https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2018/04/15/instant-pot-hummus/

I like SeriousEats for inspiration on food prep/meals : https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/09/what-is-the-instant-pot-good-for.html

Other than that the focus is on health & happiness... so movement/nutrition/mind  sunny although my searches on the internet might imply otherwise as I tend to look for solutions for other peoples' issues too as well as trying to understand the problem in the first place. It's kind of annoying that the more I read/study, the less I feel I actually know...  Sad

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 16 Simpli10

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 16 Pair-l11

The freezer section of one of our local supermarkets (where I bought the (French) duck legs), also has exotic meats like (African) crocodile (app. tastes like chicken and which I don't intend to buy) as well as meats like iberico pork loin (Spanish, obviously) and game like pheasant breast and the more common boar/venison.

There's more, but the site unfortunately doesn't list them properly, so the only way of knowing is to check the small freezer itself. I do remember having seen something like NZ beef/burgers. At least non of these are marinated like the fresh lamb in a different supermarket, such a waste of a really tasty meat (far too salty, not to mention the other additives). I'm lucky to be able to buy game during the season at most of these places as well as seafood/fish during the year, mostly fresh and out of season frozen.

Tonights' dinner: merguez lamb sausages with kohlrabi/bell peppers/onions. Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:31 am

The Spanish chicken picture still makes me drool every time I scroll past it!
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:11 am

There's more, but the site unfortunately doesn't list them properly, so the only way of knowing is to check the small freezer itself. I do remember having seen something like NZ beef/burgers.

Main reason this freezer catches the eye: it's got beef tongue... which is local & free range AFAIK; still haven't made up my mind about buying that... my first (and so far only) encounter with beef tongue was (if I recall correctly) more than 30 years ago, when hubby's Mom prepared it for us.

It was freshly stocked today, so there was plenty of NZ (rack of) lamb and beef isn't just from NZ but also Australian... I didn't buy any since fresh game is on sale next week. Duck breast... yum.

It was World Alzheimer Day yesterday...

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 16 _self-10
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:11 am

LB, you are way more adventurous with your protein choices than I am.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:55 pm

I LOVE beef tongue. So far I have found that it is best if you pickle it like corned beef, cook it until tender and peel it. Then I slice it and crisp it up in frying pan. I have had it smoked as well, which was tasty too. It also makes amazing hash.
Vh67
Vh67

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:11 pm

Vh67 wrote:I LOVE beef tongue.  So far I have found that it is best if you pickle it like corned beef, cook it until tender and peel it.  Then I slice it and crisp it up in frying pan.  I have had it smoked as well, which was tasty too.  It also makes amazing hash.  

Thanks for sharing that love V. If it weren't such a huge piece of meat I wouldn't hesitate... perhaps I should just give it a shot and try it. Crisped up sounds nice. Smile
Way back when we had it in a white roux based sauce, I do remember it being very tender meat.

They used to make stuff like scrapple and head cheese too, as they sometimes kept a pig.

Last edited by Lovebird on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:22 pm

Pedidoc wrote:LB, you are way more adventurous with your protein choices than I am.

Thanks Kathi. It's probably mostly because steak is a lot more expensive here than in the States... Sad we've had pork tenderloin for dinner by the way. Roe/deer etc. cost more than ribeye, as it's all fillets, but for a special occasion that's okay, even though personally I'd prefer a nice juicy ribeye. Smile Duck breast/pheasant is cheaper than steak, aside from flank steak. Lamb about the same, but o so worth it.

Other than that it's mostly chicken/pork/bacon/fish/beef/shrimps. Very Happy Occasionally liver (cod or chicken). As well as Skyr (a very tasty lowfat high protein Icelandic yogurt) that I really like.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:45 pm

meat............ yum. Now you have me craving a nice tender roast.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:55 pm

tomi1000 wrote:meat............ yum.  Now you have me craving a nice tender roast.

I'm sure your hubby would love some of that too... Laughing and an occasional higher protein day wouldn't hurt you either. Wink

I can talk veggies too... Very Happy I love most of them, which is why I'd never seriously consider going carnivore. And one of the reasons I love garden/csa posts. Smile

Darn, I forgot to mention eggs in the protein post. Rolling Eyes
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Sounds like you have great variety in your protein LB. Tongue I have a tough time wrapping my brain around.

Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:07 am

Narrowminded wrote:Sounds like you have great variety in your protein LB.  Tongue I have a tough time wrapping my brain around.

And I realized I didn't even list everything... Laughing

You do eat eggs... and sausages... Razz

To be fair, when looking for recipes there'll be pics of tongue... Shocked raw as well as cooked... it's obvious as to why they choose to slice it up and cover with sauce most of the time, then again it surely is considered a delicatesse with many.

Should I buy it, it's to be thawed, which can be done in salted water (apparently the first step in most preps), then simmered for about 3 hours (that should make a lovely broth!), then stripped of the outer layer.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:11 am

And so much for staying offline for an entire day... I did manage to ignore the laptop for most of it, which was nice, but couldn't resist a quick check-in here, as I've not missed a day since joining, keeping an eye on possible spammers... Cool We were lucky so far, no active ones yet, just a few that got kicked out before they got a chance to annoy us.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:11 am

Let's see... forgot about rabbit (mostly legs)... at least once a year for Christmas at Mom's, no turkey to be served here... even though it's been available the last few years as a whole bird. Perhaps I should try it too. Smile Lots of leftovers. Cool Occasionally we have turkey fillet. I rarely prep the rabbit legs like Mom does, which is after a night long soak with onions in vinegar + water. As she does the 'sour meat' stew. I love beef stew. Especially when it's cold outside. Doesn't matter if it's hot & spicy or more family/kid friendly. I love soups, especially when they have some meat in them. Very Happy Which reminds me, I should make some Gypsy Soup soon... best of both worlds (beef/bacon/beans (chickpeas) and lots of veggies) and very easy to tailor to personal preferences. Yum.

And for fish we often (weekly) get fresh cod and/or salmon, occasionally fresh haddock or plaice (flounder) or sea bass/fillets of sole/redfish ( I love you ). Nowhere near as many shrimp/prawns/gambas as I'd like... regularly canned fish, like tuna/mackerel/sardines/salmon/herring; smoked fish like mackerel/trout/salmon.

No tilapia or pangasius.

Probably forgot something again, like with the eggs which are more or less a staple food... Rolling Eyes I'm sure V & E have plenty of varied protein options too, obviously much more seafood.

On another note: so far the plant nursery baby's are looking good. I hope they make it as it's not the right time, but it needed to be done.

Did you know you can steep whole flax/linseeds in water for constipation issues (or prevention)? Just put a tablespoon of them in a glass of water, stir if any of them float, let it soak (covered) for 4 hours minimum (12 max). Drink the water (do not eat the seeds) and re-use the seeds (to be discarded after 24 hours) for another batch or several of them.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/flaxseed-constipation-remedy

I tried to get the seeds to sprout instead of throwing them out, but made the mistake of putting them on towel paper... not a good idea for sticky seeds... better luck next time. I liked the taste of them (soaked quite long, not yet sprouted much). Wink

Weekend was wet (lots of rain) and quite relaxed aside from a few chores and lots of reading (facts instead of fiction this time, on telomeres, very interesting) as well as watching a movie. Made a phone call to Mom instead of a visit for a change.

Dinner will probably be fish tacos. sunny

Not sure yet on what I'll have for lunch. Plenty of options though.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Quite the varied diet you have.

While I never thought I lived in a small town as we are not, but you would think we are with all the foods you mention and I’ve never seen around here. Not even when I’ve gone out to eat. Crazy.

Hope you have better luck with your seeds next time
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:00 am

Narrowminded wrote:Quite the varied diet you have.

While I never thought I lived in a small town as we are not, but you would think we are with all the foods you mention and I’ve never seen around here. Not even when I’ve gone out to eat. Crazy.

Hope you have better luck with your seeds next time

When written out like that it does seem that way, doesn't it  Very Happy ... ostrich is really nice meat too btw. Wink

For some it's unimaginable to eat something other than beef or pork or chicken. They don't like fish or game and prefer to stay on the familiar side of things. Not that I'm as adventurous as my hubby, mind you. He was in China, many years ago, for a project and the stories he can tell about the food...

For those that would like some variety it's unfortunate when it's not available...

Next batch of presoaked seeds is placed in a shallow dish. *fingers crossed*

Bought a pair of Alzheimer socks today...

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 16 Alzhei10

because I think they're cute and 5 out of 8 euro are for research. Not a bad deal at all. And yes, those are 2 different socks in one set.  Smile

They had chioggia beets in the supermarket, as well as red/yellow ones. Good quality too. And all kinds of pumpkin/squash on sale, half price. So I got a bag of chioggia and a butternut squash.

Deep Down & Dirty - Page 16 Chiogg10

Just 1 package of duck breast today, so I got pheasant & deer as well. All 3 game packages went into the freezer. Also bought (French) cultured unsalted butter as those were on sale too. And some salmon. Yum.

Picked up some of the meat needed for the "Gypsy" soup (piece of bacon and stew beef, as I already have chorizo in the house), however tonight we'll have pork chops with brussel sprouts/leek/parsley and some potato mash. I've got some bell pepper with guac for a snack (yesterday's leftovers).
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Sounds like a successful grocery run. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:44 am

Yesterday we got lucky as the temps went up to 69 degrees... today it's gray and drizzling again. Typical for Autumn.

My (twice yearly/biannual) appointment with the dentist was not supposed to be until about 2 weeks from now, however since I broke off part of a tooth (molar) on a small piece of bone on the last pork chop Sad I went in early to see if they could fix the sharp edge that my tongue kept touching (which is still sensitive today) and allow some extra time then to fill as the tooth itself wasn't painful at all, yet totally preparing for easy to eat foods next. They had a free spot that afternoon (yesterday), so I accepted even though it wasn't my regular dentist and they managed to do everything (including cleaning) and the app for Oct was canceled.

Bought a lovely pair of cyclamen, gorgeous colour. Smile As well as the final vegetable items for the soup (celeriac & cabbage). It's a Balkan inspired recipe that I've had for many years and always a hit whenever I served it to guests/family. Haven't started it yet, as I had frozen the beef earlier this week.

Nights are cooling down, so have to decide on where to put the potted plants/herbs in order for them to survive Winter as it's only a matter of weeks now before temps dip into night frost occasionally.

As much as I love Spring, I I love you Autumn. The weather is excellent for nice long walks, especially in nature rich areas and the (cooking) magazines are loaded with tasty oven/stew/soup recipes.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:57 am

Serious Eats has been a great source of prepping foods and tidbits of info on some basic cooking techniques.  As far as game.……I love Peking Duck and maybe tongue on occasion.  Odd parts?  I love menudo aka tripe in red chile broth and hominy.   How cool to have such variety of edibles in your neck of the woods.

The Quote on simplicity is so relevant to me, right now.   I enjoy reading and picking up on the tranquility of your activities.  Hope to get to such a point in my life one day.

Hope the tooth repair went well....
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:24 pm

So great that the dental office could fit you in AND get it all done in one visit! Good service.!

Funny --- I used to hate fall. Everything dying and going into dormant phase always made me feel sad. But this year is different for me - I'm looking forward to the stillness that fall/winter brings. I'm enjoying watching the tree's turn color and pruning back my perennials so they can sleep the cold away.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Another ostrich meat lover, here! I think it's quite good, though harder to source here. We have an ostrich farm within 100 km of our home. We're actually planning a visit.

LOVE the socks! I'm also a fan of vibrant socks. Why not add a little fun? Life's far too short to wear boring socks. Very Happy

Cyclamen - this is the colour of our front door! It's certainly a beautiful colour.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum