Deep Down & Dirty

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks LB for the great reminder. Will catch the vids later.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:24 pm

I really enjoyed Ender's book, and the TED talk was a nice reminder of why. She has a great way of talking about it.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:34 pm

You've gone quiet, Lovebird. Hope that means you are grokking on, learning new stuff and getting some nice early nights.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:44 am

Annieh wrote:You've gone quiet, Lovebird.  Hope that means you are grokking on, learning new stuff and getting some nice early nights.

Very Happy Don't forget reading entertaining books aka brain candy as M2M calls them. Cool Thanks Annieh. *hugs*

Checking in every day for possible spammers/advertisers, not always feeling the need to add to the conversation as there are others that do very well in that department and in keeping the forum lively.

I even signed up for yoga classes... Smile

My Mom's latest check up on her kidney health showed that everything is within healthy range (again). Not sure what happened here, but we'll take it. She's been keeping an eye on added salt and water intake for the last 3 months (especially when it got very hot), but that's about it, as I warned her not to go too low salt as that can create its own problems. It worked, apparently, so I hope she keeps it up.

No news yet on her eye appointment, for which they are supposed to inform us on date & time...
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:09 am

LB - so happy to hear of moms good kidney report. Let’s hope the eyes do just as well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks for checking in LB and the positive mom report.  Your wit and songs are missed when you take a break.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Mom was asked what exactly she had changed to get to this outcome... as it clearly surprised the nurse that she improved so much, so she shared and made it clear that she thought that if there were any warning signs on whatever in her blood work they should alert sooner and not wait until it was in the 'danger zone'...
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:44 pm

My (quick) version of Pedidoc's Mexican shrimp avocado cocktail... after internet search (bit of fish sauce to replace the missing clam sauce... somewhat close to this https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228393/authentic-mexican-shrimp-cocktail-coctel-de-camarones-estilo-mexicano/ , no ketchup but tomato juice); those are large shrimps by the way, served in a bowl. Very Happy

Very tasty, moderately spicy and very Primal. Yum!
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Looks yummy!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:40 am

Good news on Mom
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:11 am

Yeah, I hope her brother/my uncle recovers well from his surgery (stent + pci) as they are really close again since Dad died. So far, so good. *fingers crossed and candle lit* If only he would pick up a few of her healthier habits, especially food/movement wise.

I teased Ontario in her journal about having to ask me nicely in order to get a certain paleo pizza recipe, but you know me better than that... I'll share regardless: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-pepperoni-pizza-with-veggies/

"Quick and Easy Paleo Pizza Crust {Grain Free & Dairy Free}

Servings: 6 servings
Ingredients

1/2 cup blanched almond flour
   3/4 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot starch plus 2-3 tbsp more for spreading/kneading dough
   6 tbsp coconut flour divided into 3 (first) and 3 (after adding the egg)
   1/2 tsp onion powder
   1/2 tsp garlic powder
   1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
   3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
   1/3 cup warm water
   1/3 cup light flavored olive oil
   1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
   1 egg room temp, whisked

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet (round if you prefer) with parchment paper
   In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca or arrowroot, 3 Tbsp of the coconut flour, onion and garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt. Stir well to fully combine.
   In a measuring cup, combine the water, oil, and vinegar , then pour into the dry mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
   Now stir in the whisked egg to combine well. Once you have a sticky mixture, you will slowly add the remaining coconut flour. I recommend adding a Tbsp at a time and mixing well, allowing the dough to sit a bit after each Tbsp to absorb the liquid, until you have a dough that's still a bit sticky yet able to be spread out. Don't add more than 3 additional Tbsp of coconut flour in this step, even if the dough seems sticky to work with - you can use extra tapioca to help spread it out.
   Sprinkle extra tapioca or arrowroot on your parchment lined baking sheet, transfer the dough to the sheet and sprinkle with more tapioca/arrowroot. Work the dough into a 10 inch circle (12 for a very thin crust), then bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes depending on how crisp you want the crust. I baked mine for about 10 minutes before adding my toppings, and baking again. Bake time will depend on the toppings you plan to add, how crispy you want the crust, and how thin you spread it out.

Top your crust however you like! Enjoy!"

To be fair I only tested the recipe of the crust to make into crackers as DS is the main pizza lover/eater here, but both of us really liked those (even the next day, with some quality deli meat they were nice), so no doubt I'll try again with toppings added, as soon as I decide whether it's gonna be pepperoni or sausage... and surprise him. Smile

Ran a number of errands today, most of them successful. As you can see in the lunch thread I had a really tasty luxurious lunch, due to eating at home, so dinner will be simple, just a tomato-veggie soup with a bit of ground beef (leftovers turned into soup by adding spices and some tomato juice).

Unexpectedly received some new extra course material on nutrition coaching plus the other ones I signed up for that will start soon as well, which should keep me busy and therefore out of trouble...  Laughing
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:40 am

I love your recipes, and meal pics, by the way! So, keep posting them! But I hear ya on the not posting all the time. Life gets busy and there always seems to be a hundred other things to do!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:11 am

Thanks Ontario.

As you can see in the lunch thread I had oven braised duck legs on cooked red cabbage for lunch. Not exactly what I had planned, but it was yummy! What happened was that while prepping dinner last night I opened the defrosted package of what was supposed to be a duck breast (quick meat) for 2, turned out to be 2 duck legs (looooong simmering needing meat, about 2 hours)... which looked about the same while frozen. So we had to change plans, even though I did braise the duck legs while we were having dinner and about an hour after that. Lucky me.  Very Happy Had to test eat it as we've never had anything other than duck breast before and it was simply a matter of reheating both fowl and cabbage. Definitely worth repeating with hubby and DS.

We had sort of an emergency last Thursday... so I had to call a plumber, after turning off the main water supply at the meter. Checked in with hubby after that and as it turns out there is a tap inbetween to switch off only part of the water in the house. Which meant we only had cold water in most places, but no more leakage. Plumber showed up early on Friday and both DS and I waited to shower until after he was finished and everything was turned on again. Yeah, I know, I do finish with cold water every time, but just cold... no way I see that happening outside of Summer heatwaves. Cool

That's about it. Nothing exciting happened, everything scheduled got taken care off. Visited Mom on Sunday, everything's okay. Didn't receive access info to one of the courses yesterday, am waiting for their reply. Bills got paid, e-mails dealt with, plenty of good foods gathered (several grocery stores), books returned and new ones brought back (library) and lovely scenting flowers to cheer me up.

Enjoy your day!
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Wow busy weekend.

I’m happy the water issue didn’t cause too much problems for you.

Yeah, can’t get my head around a cold shower.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Yeah, cold at the end is one thing, totally cold is another! Glad it’s fixed.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 pm

What a lovely voice that singer has

Living in the woods as I do, cold showers due to cold air are a part of life, but that doesn't make them pleasant, or even bearable... Sure glad things were fixed fairly quickly!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:19 am

I've been trying to take colder and colder showers. I am always cold and something I noticed is that since doing so I am not as cold as often. It's like the cold showers are resetting my temperature regulation.

The duck legs sound amazing. We have a very good Asian grocer here who has such things regularly. I think I'll pick some up and braise them. I also love cabbage so I can see how that would work.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks for your input girls. Smile

There is a huge difference between cool(er) showers and no hot water added at all... knowing there's a hot water reservoir filled to the brim, however no access to it made it fairly easy to simply wait until the job was done and all the more satisfying... Very Happy the first firm I called (they do the maintenance for our current furnace (boiler/heating)) said I'd have to wait until Monday... which was out of the question. The one that showed up and solved the issue just might end up with getting the contract plus installment of the new furnace when the time comes... problem was in a bathroom (toilet) btw.

Next time, buying duck legs on purpose, I might give this one a try:

Duck legs in Veracruzan tomato sauce
4 duck legs, large
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 Spanish onion, large, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely diced
1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, large, finely chopped
bay leaves, 3–4 (preferably fresh)
1 handful of oregano leaves, or thyme
1 cinnamon stick, large
1 star anise
800g of tinned plum tomatoes
100ml of sherry, Manzanilla
200ml of chicken stock
40g of pickled jalapeños
40g of capers
120g of green olives, good-quality, pitted and roughly chopped

Method

To begin, generously season the duck legs with salt and pepper and leave for 10–15 minutes to come to room temperature

Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole and add the legs, skin-side down. Keep the heat on medium-high and brown the legs, rendering the fat for about 15 minutes, decanting as much fat as possible halfway through and adjusting the heat so that the skin crisps and browns but does not burn. Once they are a lovely golden colour, transfer them to a plate. You should have about 4 tbsp duck fat in the pan

Add the onion, reduce the heat to medium and sweat gently for 5 minutes before adding the carrots, fennel and garlic. Season generously and allow the vegetables to soften in the fat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally

Now add the herbs, spices, tomatoes, sherry and stock and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon and bringing everything up to a gentle simmer

Return the duck legs, along with any juices, back to the casserole and add a lid, slightly askew to allow some gentle evaporation of the sauce

Stew very gently over a low heat, so that the sauce is barely bubbling, for about 1 1/2 hours or until the duck meat is tender and falls away from the bone

About 10 minutes before the end of cooking, stir in the jalapeños, capers and olives. Check and adjust the seasoning and serve with brown basmati rice and some sautéed greens

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/duck-legs-with-veracruz-sauce-recipe

However the simple way I prepared them now was already very nice, as basic as it was.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:15 am

Wow... 10.000 posts in the journal section of the forum already... Very Happy

Just some random pics I'd like to share:

This favourite plant (Viburnum) is loaded with flowers once again:

And a close up of the white phloxes and whatever the pink beauty is that accompanies them (I asked when I picked them, but forgot again since Embarassed ):

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:53 am

gorgeous flowers!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Very pretty flowers!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Recipe sounds delish - thanks for sharing.

Love you flowers, such beauties.

Glad you found someone willing to help, unfortunate that your regular didn’t have time for you.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks! sunny

Finally found time to get started on the newest gut info training by Dr. Jillian Teta... despite getting interrupted (it seems) all the time by phonecalls & deliveries for hubby... not to mention some far too lively twittering budgies earlier, who are sleepy & quiet now. Smile

It's kinda funny to see how some music/voices makes them respond happily and other times they are rather 'meh'... they do have a good taste in music though. Very Happy
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Love the flowers. Mine are all fading and dying after the very hot and dry summer, and now cool autumn temps with more rain.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:11 am

Greensprout wrote:Love the flowers.  Mine are all fading and dying after the very hot and dry summer, and now cool autumn temps with more rain.

Thanks GS. This particular plant doesn't have any flowers during Summer and it looked like it took a hit because of the continuous heat & dryness (it's an evergreen (Viburnum tinus prob Gwenllian), so I was very happy to see it starting to bloom. They will stay on for months, even into Winter... looks very pretty with snow on them.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next