Deep Down & Dirty

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:20 am

I’m with Rig, don’t know how you have that many tabs. I have 8 currently, but that is way more than. My norm. I’d say 5 is probably max, one being email.

I don’t keep a spreadsheet, but I’m trying to learn “reading list” in iOS, never tried that before and I’ve had it for more than 8 years.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:50 am

It's a good thing everybody's different. Wink

Let's see: I have 4 items bookmarked, being Primal Place, Outlook, Weather Forecast and a minimalist blog. To be checked daily. I could bookmark the other stuff too, but don't like it that way.

I do have a list with interesting stuff too. Cool

There's always some podcast I'm listening to and a selection of pdfs that I do not want to download, but am interested in, mostly but not all nutrition/health related. Currently one of those is Mark's 21 Day Total Body Transformation. Smile

And as of today I'm cancelling all keto related newsletters as they come in. Just because.

To be fair, 50 is too much and only due to being far too busy with work and not being able to select the interesting ones, but that was temporary.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:55 am

@TW, just in case you (or anyone else interested) missed the info on the filter carafe: http://primalforums.forumotion.com/t162p225-deep-down-dirty#9461

So, Dr. Akil Palanisamy mentioned the MIND diet in the interview I shared at TW's...

Some of these recommendations I can live with... easily... Laughing others, like the whole grains (3x a day Shocked )... Sad even when knowing he means gluten free...

Think I'll stick to the info in the Bredesen Protocol that I linked to and c/p'd many times, also at MDA. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:11 am

Here's another good one: https://melissaambrosini.com/podcast/the-paleovedic-diet-with-dr-akil-palanisamy/

The comments on the amount of tabs used (which probably weren't meant as criticism anyway, just an observation due to different preferences) reminded me of the clean desk remark in Pedidocs journal  Smile ... in order to evaluate/explore I need information, not from 1 source, but multiple ones... and by the way, who rarely fails in finding/digging up any requested or useful info?  Cool It works for me. Very Happy

@PPam/NM and others

"Given the limited effectiveness of available treatments for dementia, promotion of a healthy brain is relevant. Physical exercise can promote cognitive brain health (defined as the ability to remember, learn, plan, concentrate, and maintain a clear, active mind) and counteract many effects of cognitive aging."

TAKE-HOME POINTS

Good quality evidence supports the use of exercise for the promotion of cognitive brain health in older adults.

Exercising for at least 52 hours in sessions lasting approximately an hour is associated with improved cognitive performance in older adults with and without cognitive impairment.

In order to achieve the exercise dose above, individuals can participate in aerobic, resistance (strength) training, mind–body exercises, or combinations of these interventions.

Improvements in processing speed/attention, executive function, and global cognition are most stable and consistently associated with exercise participation.

Just realized that the first time I linked to the Bredesen Protocol info was 2014... 2 years before I started posting at MDA. Here's the link to the MDA post http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/forum/the-primal-blueprint-forum-discussion/primal-research/2989035-bredesen-protocol-for-alzheimer-s

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140930143446.htm
Memory loss associated with Alzheimer’s reversed: Small trial succeeds using systems approach to memory disorders.

“As one example, in the case of the patient with the demanding job who was forgetting her way home, her therapeutic program consisted of some, but not all of the components involved with Bredesen’s therapeutic program, and included:

(1) eliminating all simple carbohydrates, leading to a weight loss of 20 pounds;
(2) eliminating gluten and processed food from her diet, with increased vegetables, fruits, and non-farmed fish;
(3) to reduce stress, she began yoga;
(4) as a second measure to reduce the stress of her job, she began to meditate for 20 minutes twice per day;
(5) she took melatonin each night;
(6) she increased her sleep from 4-5 hours per night to 7-8 hours per night;
(7) she took methylcobalamin each day;
(Cool she took vitamin D3 each day;
(9) fish oil each day;
(10) CoQ10 each day;
(11) she optimized her oral hygiene using an electric flosser and electric toothbrush;
(12) following discussion with her primary care provider, she reinstated hormone replacement therapy that had been discontinued;
(13) she fasted for a minimum of 12 hours between dinner and breakfast, and for a minimum of three hours between dinner and bedtime;
(14) she exercised for a minimum of 30 minutes, 4-6 days per week.”

http://www.impactaging.com/papers/v6/n9/full/100690.html
Reversal of cognitive decline: A novel therapeutic program

Table 1. Therapeutic System 1.0

Goal
Approach
Rationale and References

Optimize diet: minimize simple CHO, minimize inflammation.
Patients given choice of several low glycemic, low inflammatory, low grain diets.
Minimize inflammation, minimize insulin resistance.

Enhance autophagy, ketogenesis
Fast 12 hr each night, including 3 hr prior to bedtime.
Reduce insulin levels, reduce Aβ.

Reduce stress
Personalized—yoga or meditation or music, etc.
Reduction of cortisol, CRF, stress axis.

Optimize sleep
8 hr sleep per night; melatonin 0.5mg po qhs; Trp 500mg po 3x/wk if awakening. Exclude sleep apnea.
[36]

Exercise
30-60′ per day, 4-6 days/wk
[37, 38]

Brain stimulation
Posit or related
[39]

Homocysteine <7
500 Me-B12, MTHF, P5P; TMG if necessary
[40]

Serum B12 >500
Me-B12
[41]

CRP <1.0; A/G >1.5
Anti-inflammatory diet; curcumin; DHA/EPA; optimize hygiene
Critical role of inflammation in AD

Fasting insulin <7; HgbA1c <5.5
Diet as above
Type II diabetes-AD relationship

Hormone balance
Optimize fT3, fT4, E2, T, progesterone, pregnenolone, cortisol
[5, 42]

GI health
Repair if needed; prebiotics and probiotics
Avoid inflammation, autoimmunity

Reduction of Aβ
Curcumin, Ashwagandha
[43-45]

Cognitive enhancement
Bacopa monniera, MgT
[46, 47]

25OH-D3 = 50-100ng/ml
Vitamins D3, K2
[48]

Increase NGF
H. erinaceus or ALCAR
[49, 50]

Provide synaptic structural components
Citicoline, DHA
[51]

Optimize antioxidants
Mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols, Se, blueberries, NAC, ascorbate, α-lipoic acid
[52]

Optimize Zn:fCu ratio
Depends on values obtained
[53]

Ensure nocturnal oxygenation
Exclude or treat sleep apnea
[54]

Optimize mitochondrial function
CoQ or ubiquinol, α-lipoic acid, PQQ, NAC, ALCAR, Se, Zn, resveratrol, ascorbate, thiamine
[55]

Increase focus
Pantothenic acid
Acetylcholine synthesis requirement

Increase SirT1 function
Resveratrol
[32]

Exclude heavy metal toxicity
Evaluate Hg, Pb, Cd; chelate if indicated
CNS effects of heavy metals

MCT effects
Coconut oil or Axona
[56]

I tried fixing the table by using the table function of the forum, but that didn't work out as planned, hence the listing. Smile

Back then there was no book, now there is: https://www.amazon.com/End-Alzheimers-Program-Prevent-Cognitive/dp/0735216207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501354240&sr=8-1&keywords=bredesen
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:55 am

When you consider dr. Akil Palanisamy's reasoning it makes sense... first paleo, then ayurveda... Vatas need more protein/carbs, cooked veggies/soups no salads/cold beverages... Pittas on the contrary do well with raw foods and dairy... Kaphas can easily skip meals and should stick to drier foods... possible explanation why some do okay with carbs and other don't and why some do better with less protein. Hot/spicy vs cool & wet etc.

Curious? http://ayurvedadosha.org/doshas/ayurveda-dosha-test Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:42 am

LB Thanks for all of this. Now if I could get my folks to move. Heck when Dad was here with me, DS tried to get him to do some exercises in his chair. Lifting his legs, extending them etc. Nope, flat out refused. All this while watching DS put me through my LHT WO.

Trying to get them to improve their diet is just as tough. Mom is seeing some benefit, and has really reduced her bread consumption but still has to have her 2 cookies with lunch and dad has those and a Klondike after dinner.

Interesting to note, I obviously don’t have cookies here and Dad never asked for them. Wondering who really has the cookie addiction and who wants the other to eat them with them. I think it cuts both ways.

At least I know I’m doing the best i can for myself for future sanity. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:22 pm

Hubby and I tend to feed each others bad food habits! Its great when we are both strong and want to eat healthy - but more often than not, if I'm feeling a bit weak and want to indulge (homemade cookies), he is more than willing to go along instead of saying --- nope! I'm always the one putting on the mean face and saying --- we don't need that! Now that I'm really thinking about it.......... hubby has no sense of "healthy eating" - its all me. So, if I'm feeling weak, I really have no support.

I did the Ayurveda Dosha test ............ I'm strongly Kapha. I scored 24. I will be doing more study on this.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:06 pm

One thing to keep in mind about Ayurveda- it is not just diet, it is a lifestyle, involving sleep, exercise, work, etc. There are also a lot of ideas about the best time to do these things. You can get really into it!

The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 am

Narrowminded wrote:At least I know I’m doing the best i can for myself for future sanity. Smile

Exactly!

Tomi1000 wrote:I did the Ayurveda Dosha test... Kapha

Posted the reply in your journal.  Cool

The Walrus wrote:One thing to keep in mind about Ayurveda- it is not just diet, it is a lifestyle, involving sleep, exercise, work, etc. There are also a lot of ideas about the best time to do these things. You can get really into it!

I know, but thanks for mentioning. Smile I've known about Ayurveda much longer than about Paleo/Primal...

Think it was this one I read first: I I love you that book.

What appealed to me is/was the balancedness and that it's about guiding principles, not so much rigid rules. http://ayurvedadosha.org/about-ayurveda/morning-routine Some habits stuck: morning tongue scraping, the hot water sipping (except for Summer), early to bed/early to rise; others faded (coffee snuck back in, as did nightshades, oil pulling...). I do prefer to cook fresh every day (but have some food (read ingredients) in the freezer).

I remember you did a kichadi/kitchari cleanse when you weren't feeling well (last year? time flies).
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 am

LB - did the test, but don’t agree with the summary findings. Came out Pitta, however Kapha was a close second. Have to do more digging. Maybe a different test or just a summary that includes more of the Kapha leanings? Not sure.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:11 am

Narrowminded wrote:LB - did the test, but don’t agree with the summary findings.  Came out Pitta, however Kapha was a close second.  Have to do more digging.  Maybe a different test or just a summary that includes more of the Kapha leanings?  Not sure.

You can be both. Smile However for some reason this quiz doesn't acknowledge that (perhaps only when fifty-fifty?) I have done dosha tests before (books & online) and always come out Pitta (with Vata/Kapha being pretty much identical to each other, however not tridoshic (when all 3 are the same).

Pitta-Kapha

Pitta-Kapha types usually are very healthy and resilient, combining the the power of Pitta with the strength of Kapha. They usually display a sturdier build than pure Pittas and put on weight more easily than those but since they are also physically more active than pure Kaphas they usually are able to keep the balance. Warm, humid weather affects this type negatively.

Plenty of info can be found at the quiz site (upper right corner). This is a nice site too, with plenty of info: https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/ayurvedic-living/living-ayurveda/lifestyle/pitta-kapha-daily-routine/ they do want an e-mail address for the quiz, in case you want to try another one.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:33 am

I did the banyan botanicals also - it came out a little different - it gave me a Kapha with more Pitta than the first test. Interesting. But then, they are all totally dependent on how you answer the questions - and the questions can be answered differently depending on how its worded and the options given for answering. I studied psychological testing methods many years ago at Boise State Univ. I loved that class.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:03 am

"From this day forward, before I do anything else, I will take care of ME. Because I deserve it. I work hard. I am already enough. I love me! Every day I will take at least fifteen minutes to move my body. I will consciously breathe for ten minutes. I will drink enough water. I will calm my mind with meditation for ten minutes. I will choose to eat the best foods I can find. I will give myself ten minutes before bed to reflect on the day and give thanks. And I will do these things daily so I can serve. It is essential that I take care of me. I love me. Thank you for me."

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:26 am

Me too..as in knowing about Ayurveda before primal Smile I was really interested in seeing an Ayurvedic practitioner, but life intervened and I got caught up in immigration. However this has reignited my interest and I will look for someone as soon as I get settled in my new home.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 am

The Walrus wrote:However this has reignited my interest

Ditto! Very Happy I even checked for organic mung beans this morning... Cool

Remember I posted this at the start of my MDA journal?:

Guess what... Pitta is Fire & Water... even though I wasn't reading up on Ayurveda at the time...

And for those new to the subject: Summer Season is Pitta, so eating/behaving according to those guidelines is calming/cooling/soothing for you, regardless of your personal dosha and often very compatible with paleo/primal. Smile

https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/blog-the-banyan-insight/details/ayurvedic-lifestyle-tips-to-keep-you-cool-this-summer
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:23 am

"From this day forward, before I do anything else, I will take care of ME. Because I deserve it. I work hard. I am already enough. I love me! Every day I will take at least fifteen minutes to move my body. I will consciously breathe for ten minutes. I will drink enough water. I will calm my mind with meditation for ten minutes. I will choose to eat the best foods I can find. I will give myself ten minutes before bed to reflect on the day and give thanks. And I will do these things daily so I can serve. It is essential that I take care of me. I love me. Thank you for me."

Love this!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:40 am

I love this quote as well. I need to print it out and hang it all over the house.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 am

Thanks ladies. Very Happy

Oops... forgot to give credit: https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/blog-the-banyan-insight/details/why-self-care-is-crucial
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 am

sunny

For more of their music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuO7cd8zXZM

I could try to explain why I was so silent over the last 2 weeks, even though I wanted to be supportive, but let's just say it was needed under the circumstances and leave it at that. Not much to give as there were a number of real life gatherings with plenty of reminiscing, which were nice in a way yet at the same time rather taxing emotionally.

Yesterday's dinner was salmon loin (like the one pictured in the dinner thread) and (probably the last of this years) white asparagus. Yum.

Tomorrow is Summer Solstice for most of us... (Winter Solstice for those in the Southern Hemisphere, like Annie and TW Smile)

the perfect opportunity to connect with and embrace nature, hence the new sunny avatar. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm

LB - so sorry you’ve felt drained. I hope all is ok.

Yes, for those that practice yoga, also a day for doing 100 Sun Salutations. Even when I was practicing yoga regularly, that’s a tall order. When I remember, I still try though.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:26 pm

It's okay --- we all need to take time away now and again. Real life can be a bit overwhelming at times.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:43 am

LB Definitely remember that avatar.  Still like it, BTW.

Hang tough and thanks for the music -- always. Summer in the City; the year I graduated high school! So many memories.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 am

+1 on Summer in the City. It kind of epitomizes the way us youngsters felt in the mid 60's. Not sure I ever qualified as a "cool cat" but was definitely there on "looking for a kitty."
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Love that song............. I'm a girl of the 70's. Born 1960.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Hey, we all need to take a break from time to time. Life can be so..hard...sometimes! I'm glad you found some time for YOU.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next