Deep Down & Dirty

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 am

Shops are finally open again, so a new pair of sunglasses was bought first. Just drugstore, nothing fancy, but very welcome as the sun is shining very bright. I can pick the other one up at mom's next time, but it's not wise to go over there just for that as a short visit is more or less impossible/difficult. Like a limited telephone call... Razz

Last week I stocked up on flank steak for the freezer.  Very Happy Mostly ate several kinds of fish dishes and some white asparagus meals. Light meals as it's currently very summery. Yesterday my lunch consisted of mixed salad greens and soft goat cheese  which was pretty nice.

Was up at the crack of dawn today... not good... even though I went to bed very early... stayed up so far to get some computer stuff done as well as showered and even picked up groceries (minced meat (ground beef/pork)/green beans/chicken breast/asparagus/tomatoes & some household items).
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 22, 2018 8:53 am

Here’s hoping you get that needed nap later today.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 22, 2018 10:44 am

I did. Thanks. About 30 minutes on the couch. Smile

And then there was thunder & very heavy rain and a bit of hail... poor flowers. Sad It poured so hard it even leaked (skylights/roof windows) as it couldn't get away fast enough (and the lead slabs obviously need to be replaced).
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 22, 2018 11:11 am

Looks like I'm gonna need a money tree this year as that's not the only thing that needs to be taken care of (think central heating boiler...). Rolling Eyes

On a more positive note (and yes it's still raining, but this is normal rain): the Mock Orange (Philadelphus) has its first flowers for this year and lots more to come.

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 am

Mom's okay. Smile For whatever reason IOP (intraocular pressure) was (very) well within healthy range again, so no need for any intervention, just 'keep doing what you're doing and come back in 3 months, everything's looking good'. She's very relieved as she had painted a very dark picture of procedures to come, already.

Yesterday's visit with her regular doc also showed good values, except to keep an eye on kidney health.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri May 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Good report on your Mom
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri May 25, 2018 4:50 pm

What a good daughter you are! Smile I'm sure your mom appreciates all you do for her. Yeah for good reports!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri May 25, 2018 4:53 pm

LB great news on your moms vision.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 29, 2018 4:11 am

Thanks. It's not like I did anything special, just what all of you would do to for your loved ones when possible/necessary.

The kidney issue solution goes against everything I believe and trust in... less protein/potassium/salt... undoubtedly her medication plays a role in it too.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 29, 2018 12:50 pm

LB, when I worked in the hospital, I worked on a renal unit. And yes, they protein does need moderated. I feel your pain. Strict levels on potassium and sodium as well. It is because the kidney can’t clear those things effectively. I’m so sorry.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue May 29, 2018 1:11 pm

Narrowminded wrote:LB, when I worked in the hospital, I worked on a renal unit.  And yes, they protein does need moderated.  I feel your pain.  Strict levels on potassium and sodium as well.  It is because the kidney can’t clear those things effectively.  I’m so sorry.

Thanks NM. They only measured creatinine levels (standard check-up urine/blood sample, no consult with the doctor itself) and the nurse practitioner told her to keep an eye on salt, so my guess is it's not that bad, yet. Just wanted to be ahead of the game and slow it down if/when possible... she has to return in 3 months there as well to see if anything's changed, but everything else looks just fine. We've talked about salt last Sunday and she started watching her H2O again.

In my view she doesn't eat enough protein as is, but under the circumstances it might be better this way.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue May 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Narrowminded wrote:LB, when I worked in the hospital, I worked on a renal unit.  And yes, they protein does need moderated.  I feel your pain.  Strict levels on potassium and sodium as well.  It is because the kidney can’t clear those things effectively.  I’m so sorry.

Yes, to the above.

My FIL, now deceased, had kidney disease all of the time I knew him. He had two living-related kidney transplants over the course of 25 years (one was hubby's kidney). He always had to be careful with protein intake as well as potassium and sodium. Even hubby, now having only one kidney is cognizant of his intake of such things.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue May 29, 2018 3:10 pm

If I remember the diet for the patients is was 80gm pro, 60 potassium, 1500 cals. I know I’m missing one thing, but can’t remember exactly. However 80 grams a protein is pretty standard, but I could be wrong, it’s been over 35 years ago. I wrote it over and over though.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue May 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Yes, we all do what is needed for our parents, but there certainly are people out there who don't. For whatever reason - be it geographical location or just disinterest. It is honorable to care for aging parents. I am where you are with my mother. I know I appreciate being told I'm doing right and good by her. Smile So, I try to always tell others the same.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed May 30, 2018 5:22 am

ONTARIO wrote:Yes, to the above.

My FIL, now deceased, had kidney disease all of the time I knew him. He had two living-related kidney transplants over the course of 25 years (one was hubby's kidney). He always had to be careful with protein intake as well as potassium and sodium. Even hubby, now having only one kidney is cognizant of his intake of such things.

Sorry to hear that Ontario, it can't be easy to deal with, having to always be alert. Your DH is the best!

Narrowminded wrote:If I remember the diet for the patients is was 80gm pro, 60 potassium, 1500 cals. I know I’m missing one thing, but can’t remember exactly. However 80 grams a protein is pretty standard, but I could be wrong, it’s been over 35 years ago. I wrote it over and over though.

I'm sure there are height/weight measurements to be included... but thanks for the info.

tomi1000 wrote:Yes, we all do what is needed for our parents, but there certainly are people out there who don't.  For whatever reason - be it geographical location or just disinterest.  It is honorable to care for aging parents.  I am where you are with my mother.  I know I appreciate being told I'm doing right and good by her.  Smile  So, I try to always tell others the same.  

Thanks Tomi. It's so easy to take something for granted. I do appreciate your words. Smile

Last weeks' peonies (they started a dark pink, but faded to cream/white within days)

Mock Orange (today):

This weeks' peonies (lighter pink than the others, fading less, scent is awesome)

I don't have any peonies in the garden despite it being on the South (it's more of a small forest with plenty of shade due to what grows naturally) so I buy them while available, and yes, the vase is on the floor to have a better view as they are very pretty and need a sturdy large vase like Amaryllis does.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed May 30, 2018 6:51 am

Gorgeous flowers, thank you for the beautiful start to my day.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 am

Beautiful flowers. I am awaiting my peonies to burst right now.

Caring for your mother, like Tomi said, is an honor.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 am

+1 on the flowers, just beautiful.

Actually, unless we got a really big man in, that diet was pretty much what they wrote for everyone regardless of male/female or their size. Not sure why.

Not sure I commented appropriately about the Protein though. I meant to say that 80 grams isn’t a bad number. At least for me, its a really good primal number. Everyone is different though.

As you know I get the whole parent caring thing and I think you’re doing awesome!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed May 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Thanks, Pedidoc, Perennialpam & Narrowminded. sunny It was my pleasure.

I'd say that 80 grams is a pretty decent (primal) amount of protein for the average female, especially those on the short(er) side... Wink which would fit for my mom too.

We all do the best we can.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 am

Started a batch of cold brewed iced tea in the refrigerator yesterday afternoon, to be finished before bedtime. Exactly the kind of beverage I bought the glass carafe for. Very Happy I used teabags (organic herbal blossom mix), so 4 of them on a liter, 5 hours.  Loose tea can stay in overnight as it's a tad more forgiving. Very nice fresh taste. Smile I added a splash of lemon to it. Second batch is in the making (redbush tea), almost done.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu May 31, 2018 4:51 pm

Yum
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:51 pm

I need a carafe like that!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:22 am

The Walrus wrote:I need a carafe like that!

Don't we all... Very Happy This one's German, Blomus and it fits in the door of the fridge, which is nice. Filter works great (ice cubes/citrus slices etc).

https://www.blomus.com.au/product/acqua-water-jug/ (mine wasn't that expensive though... Shocked otherwise I wouldn't have bought another one Wink, so nice to have chilled tasty water available, much like a spa experience)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:22 am

Somehow I managed to work down my tabs to 11. Very Happy Ofcourse that was before checking e-mail today. Razz It's not like it's the same tabs over and over... I'll add/read/remove... rinse/repeat. Cool In other areas I'm also focussing on clearing things out when I find some spare time. Feels nice.

An abundance of flowers in the garden. Such lovely scents, especially after fresh rain.

Current peonies are so awesome... love the fading (different shades of pink) and the scent.

It's great that at night the temps drop and there's some wind, so the house cools down after opening windows, especially the attic. It's weird to not have had an actual Spring though... it's either hot or it's raining...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:07 am

I dunno how you keep track of 11-50 tabs, I think that would drive me nuts. As a spreadsheet junkie, I keep a tracker file showing date identified, topic, and web link on all the neat stuff I think I want to check out. I'm rarely over 5 open tabs in the browser.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next