Deep Down & Dirty

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 16 2018, 06:37

Meant2Move wrote:Oh, Romanesco was a "featured" veggie yesterday when I popped into Whole Foods. I've never tried it but thought it looked very much like a fancy cross between something...  broccoli and maybe cauliflower? It is pretty.

Those first lovely days of spring are such a treat. So glad you were outside and enjoying them.

LoonieJ wrote:Yes. I got a govt flyer that included that veggie. Apparently, if you eat it raw, it tastes more like cauliflower, but cooked, it tastes more like broccoli. Or vice versa. confused

It is. If I were to start a vegetable garden I'd plant some. Smile Apparently it's been grown in Italy since the 16th century... and I love the fractals. As well as the taste/texture.

It tastes like neither. I like that all of it can be consumed, it's probably closer to cauliflower, yet tastier and crunchier and more delicate.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 16 2018, 07:44

My fridge (as well as tiny freezer) is loaded with food. Cool I love the abundance, as long as it all gets eaten while fresh. Glad to notice the radishes, which I had forgotten about, but are still crisp. Forgot to mention the raspberries that caught my eye at the store. Smile There's also Braeburn apples bought on sale last week, as well as Skyr and avocadoes...

Yesterday's dinner ended up without potatoes as DS had to work late and it was all mine to eat. Yum. If it weren't for the men I wouldn't buy many potatoes and there wouldn't be any bread in the house either. As DS is looking for an apartment in the same city as the university he's gonna move out soon enough... Sad

Bought some artisanal butter, 2 different ones, to try, as it was available unlike the first time I looked for it. Perhaps it's especially for Easter? Hopefully not. They do have plenty of special/new foods too, like broccoli/cauliflower 'rice' and zucchini/squash noodles as well as avocado oil etc. Guess plenty of people asked for it. Wink Like with the 'gluten free' food isle. Neutral So nice to have it all at a walks' distance...
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Mar 16 2018, 16:22

I really enjoy having the cauliflower rice and zucchini noodles available. Yes, I know how to make them, but sometimes it is nice to just have to open the package and cook them.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 16 2018, 17:11

You get to invest either time or money to get things done...

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Mar 16 2018, 18:30

Lovebird wrote:You get to invest either time or money to get things done...

So true.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 16 2018, 19:50

Had the lamb chops for lunch... as it was too little for 2 anyway.

Gonna have the Rendang with rice noodles and leek/radishes/onions. If you've never braised radishes before, try it! Trust me. Wink

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Mar 16 2018, 21:46

I will have to try braised radishes. Sounds intriguing. Lamb sounds delish.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Sat Mar 17 2018, 00:10

Sounds like a delightful excursion with all that fresh food! One of the things I love about the little store where I shop is that they do beautiful displays with the fresh veggies and fruit.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Mar 19 2018, 13:11

A little bird flew into one of the sliding door windows this morning... on the outside (ours know better than that, even when distressed). It happens on occasion; waited a moment as they normally fly away after a few seconds but it stayed put (and it's freezing cold still). So I grabbed a small cardboard box, stepped outside, carefully picked it up without any trouble and placed it in the hallway, where it's warm enough and quiet/safe. It luckily recovered fast (when I checked by taking off the cover, it escaped into the office so I had to catch it before losing sight of it) and is out in nature again where it belongs.

This recipe needs to be saved for future reference... I mean savory pistachio truffles... made with mascarpone... I love you

8 ounces (1 cup) mascarpone cheese, softened
Stir in 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic and 1 tablespoon of chopped herbs (parsley/chives/basil)
Divide into 10 portions and roll into balls (chill if necessary).
1/4 cup chopped pistachios or whatever nut you prefer to coat them by rolling the balls into it.

Makes about 10 truffles of an inch in size.

Sweet version: omit garlic and herbs. Use vanilla extract (1/4 tsp) & erythritol (3 tbsp) instead.

She calls 'm fat bombs... https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/keto-pistachio-truffles-fat-bombs/

Doing mostly laundry & starting some spring cleaning today. sunny

Thanks to LoonieJ I ended up watching videos of The Kilted Coaches yesterday https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/scotland/articles/meet-kilted-coaches-scotlands-tartan-wearing-fitness-vloggers/ which was quite entertaining, to say the least. Very Happy

Had some fun checking out duolingo  Smile as well as postcrossing. Sounds like fun.

Hope everyone is doing okay. Sending healing thoughts to those that need it. ((HUGS))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=getCUtaWhtI

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Mar 19 2018, 20:59

LB that bird was lucky to find a nice friend to help out. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Mar 20 2018, 07:21

Hi NM. I was mostly glad none of the neighbour cats was around when it happened. They do love that I feed the birds during winter times and one of them even climbs into the willow.  Rolling Eyes It's a good thing (most) birds are smart and fast and that there are plenty of bushes and trees to hide in close by. We once had a bird of prey in the yard too, which is very rare, living close to the city center, as they prefer open spaces.

I was hoping to be able to stop feeding soon, but alas it looks like it's snowing again today...

Pretty sure it was a willow warbler by the way... not that it sang, but I recognize the sound from sunnier days and it looked like this. Playing this (or similar videos) makes our birds (budgies) chirp too.  Laughing They love being outside in their (large) cage when the weather is nice (underneath the willow tree mostly, to provide some shade), despite being able to fly freely in the living room during the daytime most of the year... only when one of us is there too ofcourse, to keep an eye on them and/or check in on occasion. Most of their flights however are from the cage into their 'tree' (and back) that they love to climb/play and sit/sleep on... despite all the stuff in their cage to keep them occupied (no mirrors though).

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Mar 20 2018, 13:15

Saved a sand hill crane once from bluejays. Same deal. Cardboard box...safe place and off they went.

Cat Stevens thanks for that share and the Warbler voice. I have not heard that where I live unfortunately. I talk to the cardinals. They answer.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Mar 20 2018, 14:34

Thanks for the clip. I hear that sound around here but know nothing about birds. Might not be the same at all.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Mar 20 2018, 18:11

Ah, poor little bird. I'm glad that you saved him. I love it when I hear people saving the small creatures. It tells me you're a sweet soul. I love you I also love that you identify the birds in your yard. This is something we do, too, when they visit the feeder. We've been quite excited lately as we now have two different types of woodpeckers that visit.

The fat bombs sound interesting. I like the idea of a savory fat bomb. Most of the ones I see recipes for are sweet and I'm not a fan.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Mar 21 2018, 08:33

Thanks for the visit ladies. No cardinals nor blue jays here...

+ cardinal song, the song of spring; I can see how that works for you PPam.  Wink

Cat Stevens has made such lovely music. This vid is from his last tour (Majikat) Smile

Having the internet available makes it much easier to figure out which bird visit, though I still have the books (European Flora & Fauna) as they contain drawings instead of photo's, which I love about it. Some are pretty easy to figure out, but these tiny songbirds aren't, as they rarely show, just sing.

I love seeing most of them show up here, except for the fat pigeons  No ... we had a pheasant once too, and hubby joked it would have been a feast meal for us is I had caught it instead of just being amazed at its presence... like with the sparrowhawk.

Ontario, I don't (like to) use artificial sweetener, but since mascarpone has a certain sweetness about it, I would be willing to try with just vanilla and crushed salted pistachio's. Bet it would be nice too. Cheese balls are so retro...  Cool  https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-cheese-ball-239455

I love Spring. I love you Time to clean up the remains of Winter & let go... looking forward to lighter and brighter times. sunny

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Mar 21 2018, 15:36

Thanks for the concert! When I was driving to Lake Michigan last weekend I heard "Peace Train" so I was glad to hear more of his music today.

And, also thank you for the Cardinal's voice.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Mar 22 2018, 21:53

That woodpecker poster is cool. I love all kinds of birds (which is just as well, as we don't have many animals here).
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Mar 26 2018, 15:11

DM had forgotten about DST... she thought I was playing a joke on her when I mentioned it on Sunday. Smile

Fingers are itching to get going in the yard... especially the stuff that got postponed due to cold, but mostly wetness... but also removing the brown parts of the ferns to make room for the new... slowly but surely it's getting warmer again and there are catkins + forsythia/ribes sanguineum/lungwort flowers as well as lots of little green leaves on bushes and perennials all of a sudden peeking out, or so it seems.

However neither last weekend nor today Sad as there are more urgent things to deal with first, pesky things like work and chores; being social & helpful... plus there might be a drop in temps for Easter as well, so no use in rushing it and risking damage.

Getting caught up sounds so nice, however when one thing is done, the next lurks around the corner. And most likely it brings friends. Rolling Eyes I did manage to Konmari some stuff during the weekend, which was nice, but it brought other items to the surface...

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Mar 26 2018, 15:19

LB I’m with you on getting started on the yard. Happy to hear you have some things poking through. Always feels great to see the renewal.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Mar 26 2018, 17:33

Thinking of starting on the garden again this year. Just a tiny one though, perhaps to harvest some mini veggies. Very Happy Always kind of fun to see what comes up and I still have some seeds left.

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 26 2018, 21:06

Lovebird wrote:Thinking of starting on the garden again this year. Just a tiny one though, perhaps to harvest some mini veggies. Very Happy Always kind of fun to see what comes up and I still have some seeds left.

Outstanding idea! I love to have at least something growing, it is so satisfying.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Mar 27 2018, 07:33

I always have some potted herbs on the terrace Spring/Summer... Very Happy things like chives/mint/parsley/basil and often thyme/oregano/lemon balm. In no way comparable to (freeze) dried for cooking or making herbal tea/infused water. Plus it's good for attracting bees, so they are allowed to bloom. Smile

Seldom grow those from seed though, which is the intention with the veggies. Gotta check what I've got as there should be some herbs too.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Mar 27 2018, 11:33

Let's see: planting seeds for radish/carrot/snow peas/cucumber/bok choi/spinach/beetroot/cherry tomatoes/cavolo nero is done. Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Mar 27 2018, 12:12

Herbs next: thyme/garden cress/cinnamon basil/parsley. Smile

And some flowers: sun flower/marigold/malva/love-in-a-mist. sunny

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Apr 03 2018, 09:00

https://humanlongevityfilm.com/

Very smart people sharing some of their wisdom, Robb Wolf/Datis Kharrazian/Sachin Patel, to name just a few, about mitochondria/hormesis etc.

Was supposed to start 'this Spring' which is rather vague in my view, yet unexpectedly the first episode arrived in my mailbox while I was sleeping, hence the sharing today. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next