Back to Bedrock

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Back to Bedrock

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Road rage is so scary. Good on you for ignoring him. That must have been difficult.

Sorry for the binge but at least you figured out the trigger and road rages are not going to be a daily thing; one hopes.

Hang in there Pebbles.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Pebbles67 wrote:Thank you Lovebird. Still working out kinks of picture posting. What settings did you use above?

When inserting pics it's easiest to click on the icon in you reply box that shows a picture with a little floppy disk in front of it. A menu will pop up on the right of the screen and you can download images right from your own computer/tablet, etc. It's super easy this way.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Ontario, you've previously mentioned a super easy way to post pics from your pc, but I don't see anything letting you do a 1-step image straight from your pc to Primalforums. The only icon I see that meets your description is the "host an image" icon, and it will take your image file from your PC to the servimg system, and then you can use the image on servimg to show on PF.

Is that what you are referring to?
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Rig D wrote:Ontario, you've previously mentioned a super easy way to post pics from your pc, but I don't see anything letting you do a 1-step image straight from your pc to Primalforums.  The only icon I see that meets your description is the "host an image" icon, and it will take your image file from your PC to the servimg system, and then you can use the image on servimg to show on PF.

Is that what you are referring to?

Yes. However, my point was to try to be as non-technical as possible. Yes, it technically goes to servimg but it all happens while on the actual reply screen - at least it does for me on my tablet. Let me know if others do not see it as I do so I am not leading others astray.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:58 pm

I documented the PC version in the "how to" discussion. It can all be done while in the reply window, but it is distinctly a two step process, first clicking the "host and image and uploading the image, then clicking the "insert image" and providing the servimg url.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:27 am

Rig D wrote:I documented the PC version in the "how to" discussion. It can all be done while in the reply window, but it is distinctly a two step process, first clicking the "host and image and uploading the image, then clicking the "insert image" and providing the servimg url.

Which is exactly what Pebbles did to get her pics showing. Smile It's just that the dimensions seemed a bit off, which is corrected now. That's all.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:03 am

Nice discussion of pic posting. Personally I would prefer to link from my own Google pictures cloud. I am leery of hosting sites. Maybe I'll post from my PC from now on. Don't use it much because it's an old, slow Toshiba.

I got a great night sleep last night.

I am making some changes to my eating plan. Still mostly paleo (rice), but I am moving all my carbs to dinner. Carbs with dinner will be a weekly or 2x weekly thing. The rest of my meals will be Keto. This is an idea put forth by Leanne Vogel. The concept being that women sometimes need is shot of carbs within their Keto Plan. My experience with keto like hers, is that I go along fine for a month or two and then bam I start feeling like crap. The main reason for these changes is that I think I need to have fewer insulin spiking meals in my day/week. For this first week I may have 30 to 50 grams of carb per dinner and then back off slowly to once a week. In Leanne's book, the keto diet, she suggests several different carbs up plans.

Sent from Topic'it App
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 am

Are you talking about extra carbs as in sweet potatoes and such? confused
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:56 am

Yes. The carb up meals can consist of any Paleo carb like potato and fruit. I also choose white rice as an option. LV also recommends lowering the fat on those meals. Ie. Not so much added fat as there might be in a typical keto meal.

Some may feel that the above plan is not Keto. Personal experience has shown me that my body is ketogenic at certain times of the day even when I'm eating some carb. If the carb intake is during a limited window.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 am

Pebbles, so sorry for your road rage incident. I’m shocked how what happened caused this person to feel that much rage.

I too am going to try that approach of LV as it think that is something that happens with me as well.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 am

Cool that you can stay keto with some carbs.
A counselor once told me that any heightened emotion can trigger a craving, be it joy or anxiety. Not surprised, as I've noticed with myself that my emotions are so stirred that I need a food "fix" to calm me down. Sugar generally depresses me physically, so, may be why it's the 1st thing or minds turn to. Am glad you were able to recover right away.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:31 am

Good Morning,

Just a quick check in.

It has been very busy.We finished the first semester of the 2017-2018 school year. That meant a flurry of grading and exam week.  I finally feel like I have a little free time.

Both of my older sons returned to college. My Eldest is on his final semester to finish a degree in Finance. Hope he ends up being better with money than I am. Middle son is in the first year of his Associates in Graphic Design.

My Baby is going on 14. He is in 8th grade and will be heading to H.S. Last week I received some very hard news from the Director of Special Education in his District. The team feels that although we have always advocated for an academic track for Kevin, he is truly incapable of doing HS work that would lead to a diploma. He has Asperger's and test very low. They are recommending that he be put in the Life Skills program. He will never graduate or go on to College.
I will simply tell you that it was really painful and I am still coming to acceptance of it. I'm sure he will be able to work and maybe even be independent someday. If not, he will live with one of us. This is of course greatly complicated by the yet incomplete divorce.  Suffice it to say that I am not the one refusing to negotiate. I shed many tears in the last week, but I have to trust that my sweet son will land on his feet. He is a lovely, intelligent, happy boy.

I am reminded again that my health is important to more than just me. I continue to eat low carb Primal. It is going well.

Last edited by Pebbles67 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 am

I'm very sorry to hear about your younger son's problem. Hopefully he will be able to master some form of vocational training so he can establish himself as a productive person and be independent. And, just possibly, maybe his diagnosis will prove not to be so accurate as time goes by.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Pebbles, I was thinking the same way as RigD. One never knows.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:33 pm

I appreciate the positive thoughts. Unfortunately, once in the Life Skills track, it will be very difficult to move back to the academic track.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:59 pm

I do not mean this as a platitude, as I do not have direct knowledge of your son's abilities. I do have a nephew and a dear friend with a son who both are on the spectrum, as well as many patients.

One of the things that used to annoy the heck out of me was the high school sons 2 & 3 went to wanted all students to go to a 4-year college after graduation. They totally disregarded the extensive need for trade people. Ironically, neither went to college.

My friend's son is doing computer training and after a year spent in a group home learning life skills will be able to live on his own and support himself. My nephew did go to college, but his degree is in a very people skill field and that does not fit and he can't find a job. He is working at a grocery store as a cashier.

All this to say, that while I know you intellectually are aware of this, the death of a dream is hard. I know you will ensure your son's success no matter which track he is placed in or what life holds for him.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm sorry for the disappointing news. I just want to encourage you to focus on his potential - college or not - and don't let testing and tracking dictate what his life will hold. I'm sure he will find his way with the help and guidance from his parents who obviously love him very much. Being in the education world I'm sure you see a lot of things that the rest of us know nothing about - and I think a part of that is seeing how all kids can move beyond where they are pigeon-holed to be.

I really struggled to get my son through school. My son with the 142 IQ and serious case of social anxiety. Instead of digging in and showing what he could do academically - he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I know I can do this stuff, I don't need to prove it to them" and so he flunked so many classes I had to put him in a fast tracked alternative high school. And then he continued the pattern in college until his social anxiety got so bad that he couldn't even continue going to classes. All this to say.... He overcame it and he went on to get a degree in drafting and is now doing great and making loads of money as he has learned the trade and worked his way up. He has head hunters recruiting him to apply for engineering jobs even though he only has an associates degree. You just never know what your kids can do with the struggles and limitations that they have. At one time I feared his social anxiety would completely cripple him and he would be living with me forever. Now he owns 2 houses and lives mortgage fee because his renters cover all his expenses. You just never know..........
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Pebbles, first I want to send hugs. It’s always hard when a dream gets put to the side. It may only be temporary, but then again he may find something he truly excels at that does not require a degree. I know together you and your ex will do your best in supporting him to find what works for him.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:50 pm

The news must have been incredibly difficult to hear. As someone who has been on the support side of education and particularly involved with the state specific functions around testing and accountability, I have to agree with the idea that once tagged as special needs, getting away from the label is very difficult. I also see the focus on pushing students toward college when the reality is that college is NOT for everyone and we as a society do need people in trades.

I hope you can find the right solution and do explore alternative placements and education settings. There is so much more flexibility than there used to be.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 pm

That really is hard news to hear. Strength and peace to you. Well done on continuing to look after yourself, knowing it will benefit others as well as yourself.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 am

No one knows what the future holds. I love Tomi's story. There are a lot more programs available, today and your son is still developing. Never give up hope.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 am

Thank you all for the lovely encouraging posts.

I think much of my fear and sadness comes from being a teacher in a NY HS.
That said, the programs at my son's school have been excellent.

Our job will be to continue to work with him at home to bring him out of his Aspergian world so that he can function as an adult. He is very intelligent, but getting him to focus during testing has been difficult. I'm not sure his test results truly reflect his abilities.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 am

Pebbles, my younger son struggled mightily in his formal schooling through high school. Psychological testing showed major issues with ability to read and really low on all language skills, while strong in science and math. He had some special pull out program things and an individual learning program set up. Nothing seemed to work. He made it through HS, went to a local commuter college for 1 year, dropped out. Joined the army. Became a combat medic, 2 tours in Eye-rack. Came out super motivated, went to Austin Community College in Austin Tex, then U.Texas (Austin), degree in a biological science. Now nearing graduation from a top chiropractic school. Even today, he has issues with reading, studying, and has difficulty in getting his thoughts on paper effectively, and seems to have a permanent issue with spelling and grammar. But he's slogging through it all and I have no doubts about his ultimate success, he'll be a great chiropractor.

Just saying you never know what may happen. My prayers go forward for your son to "turn the corner" and find his way.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks Rig, personal stories do help me a lot.

Today is the Faculty and Staff "Winter Blues" potluck party. The Principal allowed us to cancel the extra help period for today so we can start right after the last class. I brought in my Karaoke microphones in the hopes of starting a competition. My department wants to sing. "I will Survive"
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:16 pm

The party on Friday was great. My colleagues can cook! Karaoke never happened. Next time. Very Happy

I wanted to share something with you guys that I created for my own tracking. I don't always feel like tracking my food on MFP. I was thinking the other day that I wish Primal had a tracking system to help me make sure I am getting all the nutrition I need without eating too much of any one macro. Something like WW smartpoints or the food exchange plan of the ADA where you check off the boxes and when they are all checked you are done eating for the day. You can find food exchange tracker templates on the internet, but they always have too many carb boxes and too few protein and fat.

I created my own template based on the eating guidelines for the Primal Blueprint that reflect a good calorie range for me for weight loss.

My PB macros: Protein .7 to .8 per pound of LBM (94-107gms), 75-100 grams carb, 100 grams of fat
About 1600-1700cals

I used the serving sizes from the Exchange List for Diabetic Meal Planning.
1 serving of protein = 1oz, about 7 grams
1 serving starch or fruit =15-20 grams of carb
1 vegetable=1 cup raw, 1/2 cup cooked
1 serving of fat=5 grams

I have put mine in a sheet protector and will check off boxes with a dry erase marker.

Template below. The formatting is messed up, but you'll get the idea. I cannot figure out how to attach the file. PM me if you want me to email it to you. It can be easily adjusted to fit other macros.
________________________________________________________________________________
Primal Blueprint     Exchange Template: 1575-1750cal meal plan.

Breakfast                                      
Protein      □  □  □  □  □  □               94-107gms. (13-16oz) 1oz=serving
Starch       □           75 - 100gms carb.  15-20g=serving
Fruit □      
Fats □  □  □  □  □           100gms fat, 5g=serving

Lunch
Protein      □  □  □  □  
Veggie       □  □           1 cup raw, 1/2 cup cooked=serving
Starch       □
Fats □  □  □  □  □

Dinner
Protein      □  □  □  □