My renewal...

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: My renewal...

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Rig D wrote:I'm jealous of your peaches.

Does this sound like a country/western lyric to anyone else? lol!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:37 am

Nectarines, apricots - two of my absolute favourites. I love all summer fruits actually, and now I am missing them even though I do enjoy pears and apples.

Growing your own micro greens sounds way cool, I wish you every success.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:24 pm

NM - I love Wellness Mama too! I like vet that she explains her process on how she comes up with stuff.

M2M - I am glad you are enjoying the stories. I grew up helping my mom and grandma in the garden and kitchen too and what I am doing brings back great memories. I am lucky to have the space and time to can and freeze so much stuff. And I am loving the white board. There is something satisfying about updating it. I still have a way to go to make it a habit.

Joanie--I love you! You crack me up!

Annie - I am going to miss my summer fruit!

I have a pork rib roast on the smoker, which will hopefully done by dinner time. Since E traveled this week and will be traveling next week, we decided to have our normal date night dinner at home. After all those meals out, a home cooked meal will be even better. Accompanying the roast will be the green beans I picked this morning and some oven roasted potatoes with fresh herbs from the garden.

We have been adding bird and butterfly friendly bushes/flowers into our yard. They are definitely working with butterflies! The butterflies showed up late this year but they are everywhere. The birds seem more interested in the bird feeders than the plants at this point. I just doubled my bird feeders from two to four. I do love watching the birds but they are little piggies!

In the last week I have spotted a skunk and a fox in the backyard after dark. I am hoping the fox got the skunk but I hate finding animal pieces in the backyard. I would like to encourage them both to hang out at the neighbors.

Sunday is potato harvest day! Our CSA requires us to do 8 hours of work each season. This helps them keep our costs down and I really like it. We harvested garlic last month and this weekend will finish out our commitment. They loosen the soil around the potatoes and we just dig them out by hand. It is fun but dirty! Just the way I like things! Embarassed

I just heard that John McCain is discontinuing his treatment for his brain cancer. I am very sad. While I did not always agree with his political views, I respected him. He was honest and forthright, which you rarely see these days in politics. He is a true American hero.

Back to work!

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree.
ekba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:21 am

ekba wrote:Really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree.

Sorry, couldn't resist (either) Smile ... love that you two (or rather three) found each other through MDA. sunny

Peace, Love, Happiness.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:50 am

^ Yeah, after all these years I have no idea what "Maurice" means when he says he speaks of the "pompetous of love."

VH- I hope the pork roast was as good as it sounds.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:12 am

Fun, but dirty... Marriage has certainly improved your outlook. Cool

Potato harvesting? Cool.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Rig- The roast was delicious! It was from a local farm that also makes raw cheese. The pigs are fed whey left over from the cheese making process. They are so tender and perfectly marbled.

Joanie- Being married to the perfectly goofy man has been good for me!

Lovebird - That was perfect!

Today was a good day. We did our vegetable pick-up and u-pick. We picked yellow beans, blackberries, tomatillos and edamame. We also cur a 25 stem bouquet of flowers. We skipped the cherry tomatoes because we have so many of our own. Our vegetables included several pounds of field tomatoes, a spaghetti squash, garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, sweet peppers, scallions, dandelion greens, lettuce, and eggplants. We then hit the regular grocery store and the sausage shop. We got spicy Italian sausage and Mexican chorizo to stuff the peppers. I will make a spaghetti sauce with the left over Italian sausage and hamburger which will go on the eggplant. We are going to freeze the stuffed peppers. I already blanched and froze the yellow beans.

Thursday I stopped by Whole Foods, which lately has been disappointing but I got two round roasts to corn(pickle). One we will eat as corned beef and the other will become a pastrami. They are now sitting in the fridge for next week.

Tomorrow after potato harvesting, we are hoping to pick up tomatoes to can. Hopefully the third time is a charm.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:34 pm

We all need a little Goofy in our lives. Now, if Mickey had understood that, he might have been able to hang on to Minnie.

Not sure if that makes sense. Old joke (avert eyes if swearing offends you). You know why Mickey divorced Minnie? Because she was f***in' Goofy.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:18 am

Joanie, thanks for the laugh!

Potato harvesting done! Showered and tick checked. Breakfast sausage is sizzling and I am having a cup of tea. Tomatoes put off until later in the week since we are both tired.

The work shifts on the farm are true work. It makes me appreciate the people who grow our food even more! We try to plan the harvesting ones since they are more fun. Weeding is not fun. You can buy your way out of it and some people do. But I am glad we just finished our 8 hours for the year!

Today is meal prep for the week. We did some yesterday but need to finish. E leaves for Chicago tomorrow so it will just be me and Daisy until late Thursday. Even though I am not working at the moment, having meals prepped is helpful late in the week. I find I eat more veggies that way, too.

Sausage time!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:38 pm

I’m home all day with DH, but meal prep is huge in helping me stay sane and on a good food path.

Glad you could harvest some potatoes and finish up your work for the CSA.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:46 pm

I'm not working at the present time either, and I find that planning is even more important if that makes any sense...it is easy to think I have all the time in the world and then it is 5 PM and I haven't prepped anything...since I take food very seriously this is not an option! Very Happy

I've been looking for a CSA here in Australia, but they don't have the same structure; however there are loads of farm stands and local produce shops. Right now I am living in farm country, surrounded by fields and cows and sheep with a few horses, llamas, alpacas, and goats. Can't wait for the spring veg to hit the markets!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:09 pm

NM, I find preparation to be vital for healthy eating, no matter how much free time I have.

I LOVE our local farm stands and local produce shops! We find all sorts of fun things to augment our Csa veggies and fruit.

It is miserable hot and humid day. The feels like temp is 106f with high humidity. Daisy and I are not fans. We are Northern California girls where it might get to 106f but it is dry, so it is not nearly as miserable. It is cool where E is. I had to water today so my plants stay happy.

I have not been very productive, even staying inside, because it is just too hot. I did repaint a spice rack my late sister made when she was little. E had the brilliant idea of using it to store our micrgreen seeds in half pint canning jars. I got hung up and I am waiting for the special chalkboard labels I got for the jars to show up.

I have been trying to keep up my strength work and I am a little sore. Still pushing through with it, hoping the soreness goes away.. Food has been good. Been doing well with just three meals, no snacking. It is easy to snack your eat through the day when you are home.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:43 pm

I'm sure it would please your sister to know you are still using the spicy rack she built. What a special piece to keep and use!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:01 pm

What a cool repurpose of the spice rack. Love that idea.

Hot as blazes here too. And like you the ugly hot.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Slightly less humid as the day went on, which was nice. Still too hot to get much done in the yard. I need to weed the flower beds and pull out the cucumbers plants that have died back. Maybe this weekend

Seed jars look great in the spice rack. Both my mom and sister would have approved. I am going to wait until after we get back from California to grow my first set of micro greens!

I have been reflecting on life and death a lot lately. There have been members of my family that held onto anger and bitterness, never letting it go. My brother was one of those people. And my sister could hold a grudge with the best of them, like our grandmother. I am working on not doing that. My remaining sister and I have talked a lot about it. I think I do a pretty good job of working through anger and letting it go but I think it is something to reflect on occasionally. Anger and bitterness suck the joy out of life and I want to hold onto all the joy life brings. And I am fortunate to much joy and love in my life.

I started reading Amy Myer's book on autoimmune disorders and have been browsing her website. I may try some of her supplements to see if they help with healing my gut. I tested coconut flakes again yesterday and my intestines are still not ready for them. I made cornbread with coconut flour last week and I was fine so I was hoping I would be ok with flakes but no.

E is on his way home tonight and is taking tomorr off since he won't be home until after midnight. I can't wait!

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:13 am

Good reflections V. I have some uncles who were like that. It’s such a shame.

I love Amy’s book. While I’m fortunate to not need all of her info, she really does bring it down to understandable. And I’ve tried some of her recipes and they are very good.

Enjoy your time with E!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:34 pm

E came home with typhoid. Or the common cold. He is a bit better today but our weekly food hunt tired him out. His fever broke last night and hopefully will stay away. He plans on resting the remainder of the day. Dinner tonight is chicken curry with spaghetti squash and homemade chicken broth, which should help clear up his head and chase away that typhoid!

Today's CSA pick up was a reminder that fall is coming and summer is leaving. We got fall veggies like spaghetti squash, potatoes and butternut squash and the u-pick was down to tomatillos, cherry tomatoes, beans and flowers. Based on how the plants looked, U-pick will only last another week or two. Because of our California trip later next week, we do our next pick up on Monday, so we will be freezinga lot this weekend.

Yesterday, we drove out to where the large tomatoes fields are and discovered it was a very bad year for tomatoes. No one had bulk tomatoes for sale. They were hoping to have limited amounts in the next few weeks but we will need to call and reserve the tomatoes if they have them. We got 3 1/2 pounds from the CSA and hope to get an equal amount on Monday. That should allow us to can a batch of 5-6 pints on Monday.

The sausage guy had BACON sausage! So in addition to our normal hot Italian fennel sausage and chorizo, we have BACON sausage! Life is good!

This week's menu is going to include spicy Italian sausage and chorizo stuffed peppers, chicken curry, dill and lemon roasted salmon, chorizo burgers and spicy Italian sausage, onions and mushroomss over spaghetti squash. Lunches will be a mix of leftovers and salads. Somewhere in the meals will include lots of roasted carrots, chard, butternut squash and green beans. I am making and freezing chili verde as well.

Time to get started!

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:25 pm

V so sorry to hear E is down for the count.

Sounds like you had a good haul of food to put up. That will be awesome come winter.

Can’t wait to hear the report on BACON sausage. Please let us know. Sounds devine.

Good plan for the week too.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:31 pm

It’s probably not typhoid. Outside of the fever - which seems to be staying away today - the chief symptoms are achiness, crankiness and whininess. Maybe not in that order.
ekba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Thank goodness you don't have typhoid in the house after all.

Menu sounds amazing.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:30 am

E is still sick. His fever came back for a few hours last night but seems to have gone away this morning. He is still achy and congested with a sore throat. I am trying to get him to gargle with warm salt water but he just grunts in response. I told him can't go out and play today as he obviously need to rest and not infect the rest of the world.

On a happier note, BACON sausage is delicious! A little more fatty than the usual sausages we get there but that is to be expected. We had it with my pathetic attempt at coconut flour pancakes, which were too crumbly. I need to find some actual AIP compliant recipes for breakfast stuff since I am a little limited on what I can eat at the moment. I plan on finishing both of Amy Myers books on my trip to California since it a five hour flight each way and we will need to food shop when we get back. My diet is pretty good but there has been some creep of things I shouldn't eat.

i got most of our food prep done. E snapped the green beans, so he helped too. We got four more pints frozen.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Love the descriptions of your food choices and the food stories.

Hope E gets better soon.

Are you allowed to use arrowroot starch/tapioca flour? According to this https://autoimmunewellness.com/stocking-the-aip-pantry/ you do, but perhaps you've got special restrictions personally. Not sure what's in your recipe but some of it might make it less crumbly next time. No doubt you've got more knowledge/your fair share of thoroughly tested AIP recipes, just thought I'd share just in case it's helpful.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:33 pm

V - I downloaded and printed some of Amy’s recipes that she mentions in her first book. I believe there was a link for part of her website. I did it for my GF months ago. There is an cassava flour/tigernut flour pancake recipe among them. Also her smoothies are excellent for breakfast as well. I don’t need to be AIP, but eat that way when at DGF’s and try the recipes too.

Hope E starts feeling better quick.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:14 pm

BACON SAUSAGES! We had a source for bacon sausages in Queensland, haven't found one here in Victoria. Must work on that! Maybe I can make my own.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum