My renewal...

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: My renewal...

Post by Vh67 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:10 am

Thank you, Pam! I am pretty giddy with excitement myself.

Yesterday we had a homepickled corned beef that was yummy. I am amazed how easy it is to make. You just to plan in advance. We have plenty left because I did a whole brisket. It isn't pink because I don't use curing salt but that is not the important part. I used Wellness Momma's recipe for the salt to water ratio and have been playing with spices.

I also made a beetroot spicy hot mustard that was perfect for the corned beef. E had some frozen beets in the freezer and I was trying to figure out what to do with them. You can get horseradish with beets, why not mustard? It is sweet and earthy from the beets and hot and mustardy from using both finely ground and roughly ground mustard seed. It was bitter at first but has mellowed into a perfect mustard.

It is still cold here but at least it is sunny! Today we are planning a hike with Daisy, then house and yard work! I hope everyone has a lovely day!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:25 am

Wow, that all sounds delish. I’ll have to check out those recipes as
I love a good corned beef, but what’s available I’m sure isn’t worlds best. Smile

And a good hot mustard. YUM

Have fun with the yard work and hike
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Great meal.

My calm, logical friend giddy? Sounds like you found quite the guy!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:34 am

I am now Mrs. Ekba!

Wedding was perfect! My sparkly Keds were a hit! The ceremony, at seven minutes, was short and sweet! Food was yummy and cake was perfect! I need to get more pictures from other people so I can share.

This week has been busy. My last day of work was Tuesday and the stress reduction that brought was amazing. I will miss the people and the work but not the pressure and joy of dealing with the various levels of governmental agencies that have no clue as to what they want or should be doing. Sadly, with some recent changes, it had gotten even worse.

Now I have time to get focus on my health, which I have been neglecting a little. I had my annual mammogram, which came back with no findings. Yay! I have a few more tests I need to have done and I had a complete blood panel on Friday. Once those are all done, I will have a better road map of what we need to do.

Time to go to Home Depot for the fixings of a couple more raised beds! And then it will be asparagus planting time! Now if winter will just go away!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:56 am

Congrats! Sounds like it was splendid day. Smile

Good job getting the physical under your belt.

Yes, spring so we can plant.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:42 am

Congratulations Mr. And Mrs. Ekba! Can't wait to see the pictures.

I'm sure you can find other people to hang out with as needed.

I've fond memories of picking asparagus with my grandpa.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:58 am

Glad for the smooth transition into Mr. and Mrs. Happy for you both.

The MDA connection... haha

Hope your other tests are just as successful.

Happy Days.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:40 pm

flower Best wishes to you both! flower

Sounds like a lovely day.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:10 pm

Many, many congratulations! So happy for you and that all went well. Best wishes for your new life together, and hope to hear good news from your tests.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Huge congrats.  May your married life be long, healthy and happy Very Happy
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 am

I'm very happy for you, Miz E and E also.
I hope the big life change you are having will help with your addressing on-going health issues. The lack of job stress should be a huge plus.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Congrats! I am so happy for you both, and am looking forward to the pictures.

I need some of those sparkly keds!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone! I got my new drivers license today! The NJ MVA is such a joy. The man in front of me farted every time he coughed. And he coughed a lot. Tomorrow I tackle the Social Security Administration.

I am back on antibiotics for diverticulitis. I have been trying to fight it off myself, which works sometimes but not this time. Hopefully I will be all better by the time we leave for our honeymoon on Saturday. This diverticulitis is annoying me. I see the GI doc again after I get back to discuss future actions since I have too many attacks. Mad

We are going to doing a 10 day car trip to D.C. and Virginia to see lots of historical sites. I am really looking forward to it.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 pm

Sounds wonderful! Dream and I haven’t had our honeymoon yet Smile
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:17 pm

The Walrus wrote:Sounds wonderful!  Dream and I haven’t had our honeymoon yet Smile

Everyday sounds like a honeymoon for you two!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:39 pm

So true;)
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:53 pm

My diverticulitis got worse last night but it is getting better now that I have been on antibiotics for 24 hours. Pain has been intense at times so I broke down and took pain meds this morning. I am not sure why I feel needing pain meds is a weakness for me when I don't for anyone else. I might take another pill tonight if the pain is still intense. It is frustrating because I am so careful with my diet. I have a feeling the GI doc will push for surgery but we will see.

I did not get any of my errands done today. I was hoping it would be warm enough to sit outside for a while today but it is still cold. Sad I am so done with winter! I wanted to sand my wooden spoons so I could paint them. I am making plant markers. I did a few of them but the spoons were a little rough. I am not that artistic but they are fun to make.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Those spoons sound like a very unique idea! How sweet they will look.

Hope the tubby ache leaves soon.

Errands can always move down the list. Life.

Take care.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks Pam!

Slept over ten hours last night and woke up feeling like I had turned the corner. Got meds that will help with horrible spasms that have been happening when I eat. From what I've read, when you eat, your body sends signals to your intestines to move things through to make room for new food. Sometimes my signals don't seem to work so well. The more I read about our digestion system, the more I realize how little we know.

Getting ready for trip. We are doing three cities, with kitchens in two places. I got food for the first part of the trip and then we will be in DC for four days with no kitchen. But our location in DC will be amazing, in between the Capitol and the White House. Daisy can't wait. We are staying in an Airbnb in Williamsburg, so we will do more shopping when we get there. With my tummy issues, we will need to be careful with food.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Have a blast in DC. Hope your digestion will hold up.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat May 05, 2018 11:42 am

It has been a while! The honeymoon was wonderful but by the tenth day, we were ready for home.

We have been doing lots of yard work and preparing to start planting. The weather has been all over the place, we had both the heater and am on this week! Poor Daisy has not lost her winter coat yet because of the cold weather, so the two humid 90f days were miserable for her.

Today is cooler and more normal for this time of year. We hit the nursery early this morning and filled our cart completely. We somewhere around 200 plants, mostly annual flowers to plant. I did get a lilac bush, which I am very excited about. I love spring!

The side yard is getting cleared out and mulched by a landscaping company next week (hopefully) and then we can get our veggie beds set up and finish planning what we want to put in those. I already started tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and purple tomatillos inside, so we have a head start on those.

The herb garden is weeded and a number of plants survived the winter. We added a few annuals to it and I started 72 basils plants of various types from seed. Those should be ready for planting outside soon. We still need to do more planning of beds in the back. And our asparagus beds are planted and growing! We have had 100% growth so far and it is great! I hope it keeps doing well and we have more asparagus than we can eat in a year or two!

Health wise, I have seen some significant improvements. My Gastrointestinalogist recommended surgery for my diverticulitis and I really don't want to do it. I read about a study using baking soda to reduce autoimmune symptoms in a thread here and on MDA. I talked to my oncologist about it and we agreed that there was no downside to me trying it. A week into taking a half teaspoon a day. I am noticing a lot of improvements, especially with gut pain. I am hopeful that things will continue to improve.

Time to start planting!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat May 05, 2018 2:59 pm

A simple little thing like baking soda can have such an impact on a big problem! Smile thats awesome! Glad you're feeling better.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat May 05, 2018 9:46 pm

Glad your trip went well. Your yard sounds wonderful.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun May 06, 2018 6:41 am

Nice to hear from you VH!

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by katierose on Sun May 06, 2018 9:05 am

Welcome back! That's great news about the baking soda. Hopefully it continues to work and you can avoid surgery.

katierose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum