My renewal...

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: My renewal...

Post by perennialpam on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 pm

How's Daisy doing?  Is she keeping you company?  hehe

One of my friends is dealing with being alone too.  Her hubby is now in a home because she can no longer care for him and her friend that has been living with her is gone for a while.  

Try to think back to when you did live alone.  Wishing you some productive sleep.  Perhaps making construction decisions has caused you sleeping problems.  

Hope you feel better soon.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Happy to hear things are started. Hopefully sleep will start getting better quickly.

Hugs
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:41 pm

Pam, Daisy is doing well with all the chaos. She has been the door troll and everyone entering must pet her to get inside. No one seems to mind and most seem to actually enjoy it.

NM, thank you!

I have always had periods of poor sleep, I sometimes have an overactive mind and I hear every little noise when E is gone. I have gotten great sleep since he has been home. I am going to try to add more activity and meditation to my days when E travels to help with the monkey brain.

Kitchen remodel is going along. They have been doing the rough plumbing and electrical along with some framing. Lots of work that is not super visual. Next week the rough inspections will be done and they can start putting in the drywall up and then the floor.

We are doing pretty well with food. E grilled a bunch of meat Sunday and I am learning the in and outs of my Instapot. I made a nice pot roast and some tasty spicy sausage and potato soup with dandelion greens. We have grilled chicken thigh and , chorizo burgers to round out the week. Next week I will do the same. E leaves Sunday for most of the week. Saturday we are going to the Easton Bacon Fest so I will have lots of yummy bacon for the week. I might save a little for E.

Had my quarterly blood work and got my CBC results immediately. My mean platelet count is a little low but it has been for a while. Most importantly my white count is normal! I will get the rest of my results in two weeks when I see the doctor.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Yeah for normal WBC!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:26 am

Daisy must be in heaven!

It is so true about progress.  So many items behind the scene to take care of.  Hang in there you will soon be so happy in your new kitchen.  

Very glad to hear you WBC too.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:34 pm

Yea for good preliminary results. I'm glad the renovation is progressing well.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:53 pm

I have to second everyone else. Good news all the way around.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:44 am

So happy about your good results. *hugs*

Vh67 wrote:I am going to try to add more activity and meditation to my days when E travels to help with the monkey brain.

Great plan!

Vh67 wrote:I will have lots of yummy bacon for the week. I might save a little for E.

Only if he's lucky... I mean we're talking about bacon here...

Who could say no to a cutie like Daisy... and imagine how she makes them feel by doing so.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:18 am

Glad to read the partial lab reports are great.
Will be cool to see pics of the new kitchen.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Thank you everyone! I am so happy about my good CBC. Especially since I was in the hospital in isolation this time last year because white count was so low.

Today I am grateful for so much. When I am feeling down, I try to remember how lucky I am in so many ways. A town I grew up near and have very fond memories of burned to the ground in a very short period of time yesterday. Paradise CA is not far from my hometown and was a quaint goldrush town. We used to go up there because it would frequently snow up there. I remember playing in the snow until I was freezing and then drinking hot cocoa at an old lodge, in front of a fire. The things that made it so wonderful, the lush pine trees, narrow roads atop steep canyons and old buildings, also made it deadly. I am heart broken for the people there. Last I read, 80-90% of the homes were destroyed and it is still burning strong. The attorney handling the probates for my two siblings lost his office but he, his assistant and their families are all safe. This may slow down our escrow on the farm but in the grand scheme of life, that is not that important. The fire is moving north west, which is away from my hometown but towards the farms and suburbs of another city. I am hoping that they manage to get it contained.

Our kitchen is coming along. The rough plumbing and electrical inspections are on Tuesday. They are starting some of the framing and installation of the underlayment on the floor. Once the inspections are complete, they can insulate and drywall. Right now both the kitchen and laundry room are exposed to the attic and it is a bit chilly. It will be nice to see more tangible progress.

I am really trying to get in my walking and do some strength building exercises. Daisy and I walked on the non-rainy days this week and the three of us did a hike at a state park over in PA on our way to the CSA. We are going to do those weekly as the weather permits. Daisy and I will continue our walks during the week.

Daisy turned 12 yesterday! To celebrate, she gets the bones from our T-bone steaks tonight! I don't usually celebrate her birthday because everyday is Special for her but this is a big one. She rarely gets bones but these are pretty big and she does not chew as vigorously as she used to so it should be ok.

E travels again this week. He was gone most of last week too. I slept great last week so I think the exercise is helping with that. Food has been pretty good, especially considering I have no kitchen. We are in the process of another bulk cooking/grilling day for me next week. Plus I will make a nice pot of chicken soup next week too. Since I have eliminated gf baked goods and eggs, my belly is doing much better. I am actually tolerating raw veggies again, which is nice! I just need to keep making wise food choices and limit the emotional eating, which still happens occasionally.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Happy Birthday, Daisy!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Great update!

Happy Birthday to Daisy!

Glad to hear inspections happen on Tues, things should start flying after that.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:16 am

Yes, Happy Birthday Daisy. My DGDog just turned 10 last Sunday.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:25 am

Daisy says thank you for all of the birthday wishes! She is having a good birthday weekend!

We had our first real freeze last night, it was 29f when I got up. This may be the last day of my nasturtiums and elephant ears as they were very droopy when took the birthday girl out for her morning tinkle. It is supposed to be the same tonight. Tomorrow I will need to dig up the elephant ear bulbs.

I got lots of precooking done yesterday and E grilled my breakfast sausage and chicken breasts while he was grill our steaks last night. I usually do chicken thighs but for some reason, the breasts sounded better when we were shopping. Today will be the remainder of the sausage, dandelion greens and potato soup I made for yesterday for lunch and fresh kielbasa with sauerkraut, apples and potatoes for dinner. I also sautéed a mix of mushrooms with a little bacon, chives and rosemary and made a batch what I call spaghetti chili, s thick spaghetti sauce full of veggies that is a meal all by itself. It is a good way to clean out the fridge and use your veggies that are getting old.

I have a confession to make. I am not a fan of grassfed beef. It is ok but I will take a local well raised, grain finished non-feedlot beef over grassfed every time. I keep trying the grass fed from different ranches out here but it is more expensive and I don't enjoy it as much as the local grain finished cows. I feel better now that I have that off my chest.

I guess I should get back to the laundry so E can pack for his trip tomorrow.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:45 am

Happy belated birthday wishes to Daisy!

Love your food/meals and garden stories. Great response in the 'food awareness' thread and very thoughtful ones in journals. Thank you!

Hope the renovation goes as planned and that your meals are healthy as well as tasty. No doubt about that last part though. Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:25 am

How the heck did you get Daisy to wear those specs? My experience with dogs is that they really don't like wearing stuff on their heads.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:18 am

I believe that picture is one of Pedi's babies. So, Pedi, Rig has a question. haha
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 pm

perennialpam wrote:I believe that picture is one of Pedi's babies.  So, Pedi, Rig has a question.  haha
Treats!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:34 am

Pedidoc wrote:
perennialpam wrote:I believe that picture is one of Pedi's babies.  So, Pedi, Rig has a question.  haha
Treats!

I should have known myself!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:11 am

Even with treats, I doubt Daisy would cooperate. She hates having her picture taken. When we try to show off her tricks, lane won't do them because she says she is not a show pony!

LB, thank you for your kind words!

We passed our electrical inspection and the plumbing inspector did not show up. Hopefullly today. But they did a lot of framing yesterday and they are prepping for insulation and drywall as soon as the plumbing inspection is done. I would think they could start most of that since little of the plumbing in in the walls. I am looking forward to insulation because it is chilly and they are forecasting snow tomorrow.. You could hang meat in the laundry room!

The fire in NorCal is still burning and over the weekend switched direction toward my family farm. It is still pretty far and there are a couple small rivers/creeks and narrow fingers of the lake in between the fire and our farm. It is moving much more slowly. My heart is still broken over the loss of Paradise and the people who died there. It was such a beautiful area. I keep hoping for rain, both to put out the fire and to reduce the overall fire risk up there. They have had no measurable rain since May. This is a picture of our olive orchard.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:19 am

Daisy!!! I love you I love you I love you I love you  

Dogs speak to my heart. And she is such a sweetie!

I, too, am heartbroken by the Calfires. We just came back from a trip to California last month. And now that I have been to, and seen, some of the places affected it seems to much more real and sad to me. Such devastation is almost incomprehensible. I really feel for those affected. I sincerely hope your family farm is kept safe from harm.

The plumber not showing up - typical! We built a house two years ago and it seems a lot of trades are so busy and so in demand that having someone not show up seems commonplace. But it is so frustrating!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:21 pm

I'm with you on the grain-finished beef...grass fed just doesn't have the oomph I cherish. Sad but true.

Happy belated birthday to Daisy!

I'm gutted over the fires in California - I lived there happily for over 20 years. I can only hope it will end soon and the powers that be will start on a reasonable solution.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 pm

V - praying your family farm is not affected. The olive grove is beautiful.

I’ve never been to Cali, but I hate seeing the devastation all the same.

So sorry about the plumber. Hopefully tomorrow so you can get those walls closed in. We are do snow too.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:26 pm

It looks like the Camp Fire has slowed down greatly and is moving in direction away from the farm. Hopefully they will have it under control soon and the sale of the farm goes through by the end of the month.

Great progress today! The insulation is done and a significant amount of drywall is up. The house is so much warmer, which is good since it has been snowing since this morning. My plants that had been stubbornly holding on are done now.

It is supposed to rain tonight so hopefully I won't need to shovel snow in the morning. E is in Chicago until tomorrow. He seems to travel when we we have snow. Hmmmm....
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:13 pm

My viola's are hanging on despite having had 8 inches of snow in October and several nights when the temp dropped down to single digits. You might find a surprise lurking amongst your tougher plants.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum