My renewal...

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: My renewal...

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:00 pm

You vacation sounds wonderful as does all that fresh seafood! Enjoy!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:18 am

Meant2Move wrote:You vacation sounds wonderful as does all that fresh seafood!  Enjoy!

Ditto!
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:37 pm

My vacation was wonderful! If you love Victorian houses and the beach, Cape May is wonderful place to visit. The downside to the trip was I was a little too free with my food and drink and ended suffering from a severe intestinal flare up. I have been holed up like a wounded dog this week.. it is getting better. This week the food has been pretty basic with lots of bone broth.

So the foodsI now know I can't eat are dairy, wheat, most seeds like chia and quinoa, whole nuts, eggs and legumes. Alcohol is also not agreeing with me at the moment. I guess I am doing AIP/W30 whether I want to or not. I have had a few days of self pity and anger that I could not even go on vacation and indulge a little without severe belly pain. But it is what it is and now the focus is getting better and staying healthy.

The kitchen remodel is moving forward quickly. We have countertops, cabinets, floor and backsplash tiles picked out. I was originally planning on a black and white kitchen but we found a quartz countertop that has more organic colors in it, along with black. The backsplash is a glass tile in a random pattern. Hopefully the picture of all them shows up.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:13 pm

very nice!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 pm

very pretty.  Sorry to hear about your tummy troubles.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:10 pm

So sorry about your tummy. I hope things clear quickly. However you won’t be alone. A bunch of us have gotten back on the straight and narrow this week.

Kitchen choices look very pretty. Can’t wait to see it all in place.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Classy. I like the quartz a lot.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:07 am

I like your choices too.  Something to keep your mind off your tummy.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:00 am

I love the colour and texture combination of the kitchen choices. That's going to look great! One piece of advice.....make sure you seal your backsplash grout so it doesn't stain when you get foods splashing or spitting on it from the stove top.

Sorry about your tummy messing up your vacation. I've been there myself and it's no fun at all.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Thank everyone! Tummy is slowly getting better and the remaining pain is a reminder not stray off my one true path at this time.

I really like how the kitchen has turned out, it is going to be a very warm room.. We picked faucets and sinks today. The laundry room and main kitchen sinks will be made of a granite composit in a sand color and the veggie sink will be a smaller copper sink. Ontario, I will definitely be sealing all of the grout! I learned that lesson the hard way many years ago. Fortunately the floors have really large tile and very narrow grout lines and the backsplash area is not that huge. We started packing up the kitchen and got rid of a few things. When I moved in, we did some paring down too. And I am sure we will do more when we start putting things back.

We haven't shopped at Whole Foods in a while. We used to go almost weekly but they have really changed for the worse. And today was a another step down. Twice, once while I was returning my milk bottles at customer service and while in line, I had to wait for people trying to link their Amazon Prime membership with WF's rewards program. At the check out line, the woman in front of me needed to download the app and she held up the line while she did it, giving no thought to anyone else. They moved my groceries to the cashier next to where I was and checked me out and that woman was still trying to get her app working. I can't imagine being so inconsiderate to the people behind me to save a dollar or two. That may be my last visit.

I skinned a duck yesterday and rendered the skin into beautiful duck fat. I roasted the duck, picked the meat off the bones and re-roasted the bones to make broth from them. The weather went from hot to chilly literally overnight, so it is now soup weather. Tonight is Asian pork meatballs with cabbage and mushrooms. Tomorrow will be duck soup night. E just ordered our heritage turkeys and a heritage ham from a local butcher. We got a turkey from them last year and it was amazing! I had fought spending almost $6 a lb for turkey but it is totally worth it. This year we ordered four half turkeys, which works a little better for us. Of course, they will go into the freezer until the kitchen is done.

Now that Fall has finally gotten here, it is time to start transitioning the garden. We will be emptying a couple raised beds for shallots and garlic. I will also start clearing out my flowers as they die out and putting those beds to bed for the winter. The Csa had their last week of tomatoes and peppers along with broccoli and cabbage along with potatoes. And the orchard we get our fruit from has apples, pears and pumpkins. I love Fall!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Food sounds super.  Enjoy your turkeys.   Autumn harvest sounds tasty.  

You must have a different context for pricing than I do, because $6 a pound for anything sounds more than ok to me.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Food sounds amazing.  Glad your tummy is feeling better.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 am

V I love hearing about your gardening and food adventures. You right very well and I feel like I’m there with you. Wonderful.

Yes, temp dropped quickly here to.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Annieh wrote:

You must have a different context for pricing than I do, because $6 a pound for anything sounds more than ok to me.

$6 a pound is good for most meats, but most whole turkeys here run about $2 a pound or less. The leap of faith was that a $100+ turkey was worth it compared to the normal supermarket turkey. Nicely, it was.

Turns out that a heritage breed grown outside eating whatever plus some feed is much better than the standard supermarket bird grown in a factory and fed subsidized corn and soy. Probably the biggest difference between “conventional” and “pastured” meat that we have experienced.
ekba

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Hey, that new kitchen will go a long way towards helping you prepare the kind of foods that agree with you! It's stunning! Hope you're feeling better.

Turkey...yum...not so popular here in Australia. I'm looking for a good supplier here as I love it.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 pm

Can't wait for final pics of the kitchen Smile Glad your tummy is feeling better. Staying on the true path, as you call it, is definitely the safe place to be for many of us. I have decided not to eat the cheesecake that I ordered for our anniversary meal - cuz I will surely pay dearly if I eat it. Hubby will get his brownie - and my cheesecake too. Smile wise choice! Wink
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:11 am

Annie'h, I think we are lucky with meat prices in general in the US over other countries.

I am so glad my tummy is doing better and improves daily too! I am only taking meds at night to calm the pain/spasms at night to sleep at this point.

Excited about the kitchen but now we are trying to come up with a good game plan on meals for six weeks. We will be doing dishes in the bathroom since they are ripping out the laundry room sink at the same time. Doing lots of frozen meals/broth. Will probably make egg muffins for E's breakfast and freeze them. I will have the fridge, the instapot, a single burner and the microwave along with an electric skillet and a griii/griddle (the Griddler). And a tea kettle. Still trying to decide if we need a toaster oven.

One of my goals in life is to be a better person today than I was yesterday. To meet that goal, I used to spend time thinking about what I could do better each day, like be more patient or understanding or apologize for something, in hindsight, that I said or did wrong. I haven't been spending as much time in reflection as I used to and i notice a difference. I am quicker to get annoyed and irritated. I am not as likely to look at things from other people's points of view. And it can feed on itself. I am trying to get back into that habit of personal reflection and asking myself what things I can do better to make the world around me a kinder, gentler place both for myself and those I interact with. I used to tell people I trained "to always treat others how you would want your mother treated" and I seem to have forgotten that lesson. So more thought and reflection in my actions and slower negative reactions.

It is a real fall day today, rainy and chilly. Finally! So a perfect day to cook up bacon for the freezer, start curing a salmon with the last of the dill from the CSA and empty cabinets. And do laundry. Laundry never ends!

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:41 pm

My name is Valerie and I am a cleaning supply hoarder!

I have a crazy amount of cleaning supplies. And I hate cleaning! It is good to inventiry what I have now that I am emptying the kitchen and laundry room. The good news is that I don't think I will need to buy anything to clean my house for a really, really long time. Bad news is that I have no excuse not to clean.

Finished the chicken/duck broth I started yesterday. I used some of it for duck soup with wild rice last night and it was tasty. I started curing a salmon filet to make gravlax. It is my first attempt and a good way to use the last of dill.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Sounds like you’re getting a pretty good set up together for the kitchen re-do. I love my toaster oven. If you don’t have one, and don’t think you’d use it, then I wouldn’t buy one, but they do make a great small oven.

Isn’t it interesting when you finally get to cleaning out a few cupboard, the supplies you find? I want to kick myself thinking of money I spent when I had a perfectly good bottle of the same at home if I had just looked hard enough or been more organized.

Have fun using all your cleaning products. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 pm

I think you can probably do without a toaster oven with the tools you have.  You might want to sit down and plan out a list of meals you can make and then evaluate the need further.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:08 am

It is much like camping V.  Maybe you should use the grill as much as possible thereby shutting down the need to wash pots and pans.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! i think we will forego the toaster oven. We have both a charcoal and gas grill so that will help.

i slept really well last night. I always have a tough time falling asleep but last night I did my version of meditation and managed to fall asleep pretty quickly. I love the colder weather, which helps me sleep better.

Food has been back on track. Today was sausage and avocado for breakfast and a BAS for lunch. Dinner will be a mild shrimp Thai curry with winter squash.

Laundry room is mostly cleared. Just trying to find space for a few more things. Then outside to start clearing the beds!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 am

Today is a beautiful and sunny day! I have a hair appointment shortly, just a cut. Then to the grocery store for meat and a few other little things. Then back here for more packing and yard work. I am trying to do just a couple of boxes of stuff a day since I still have a week to go.

Yesterday was good. I picked most of the big tomatoes, even the green ones since we may to get a hard frost tomorrow. I also started pulling out annuals that were starting to die off. My Mexican sun flowers and marigolds are still perking along. The other sunflowers and zinnias are gone.

Last night was a Thai curry with shrimp and Delicata squash over spaghetti squash. Very tasty.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:25 pm

Sounds like things are moving along nicely V. I know the excitement is building.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:40 pm

It has been a very busy week! They started tearing out the kitchen and laundry room yesterday so I had to have both rooms and the back hallway. We had a lot more stuff than I thought!

The laundry room and kitchen are completely gutted and the hallway is down to the subfloor. There is a little dry rot in the laundry room and the hall but not too bad and it will be easy to replace. The hooked the washer and dryer back up for the weekend. Next is rough plumping and electrical.

We had set up our temporary kitchen in the office which is cut off from the rest of the house by the kitchen. That was not a good plan because I needed to go through the construction zone to get to the fridge. They moved the fridge into the front entry hall this morning and we will be moving the rest of the cooking items into the dining room. It will make cooking a little easier. This weekend we are going E's parents for his brothers birthday so that will be easy.

Sleep has not been good this week. E was in Chicago and I frequently don't sleep well when he is gone. He will be home next week before two more weeks of travel so I will a chance to get caught up before he leaves again. The belly is stable but not completely better. I am going to have to work on keeping my clean during the remodel.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum