My renewal...

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: My renewal...

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 am

I use ramekins, pour the chicken stock in them and place them in the freezer. Then once they are frozen I take them out and set them in a pan of very hot water for about 30 seconds, the puck pops out and I toss it in a Ziploc and back in the freezer. I have Ziplocs full of these pucks in my freezer.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:46 am

ONTARIO wrote:I use ramekins, pour the chicken stock in them and place them in the freezer. Then once they are frozen I take them out and set them in a pan of very hot water for about 30 seconds, the puck pops out and I toss it in a Ziploc and back in the freezer. I have Ziplocs full of these pucks in my freezer.

I love that idea! I usually freeze larger batches but don't always need all f what I thaw!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 am

I use ice cube trays to freeze broth.

marcadav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 pm

M- great idea too!

My appointment at the dermatologist went fine. We cut off one mole that rubs on my bra and froze off a couple skin tags. The weird thing on my chest is a common growth that people over 40 get. She was surprised that at 51, I did not have more of them. Yay, getting older has so many fun surprises!

Tomorrow is our appointment with the kitchen contractor! I am so excited! I have been binge watching remodeling shows to get ready!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Hoping your vacation is amazing, and your bump is nothing!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Vh67 wrote:Yay, getting older has so many fun surprises!  

Tomorrow is our appointment with the kitchen contractor!  I am so excited!  I have been binge watching remodeling shows to get ready!

As a friend says: Getting old isn't for sissies.
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:10 am

Best luck with the dermatologist. I'm on a 6 month checkup with mine, due to the number of bad growths he's found in the last couple of years. My recent checkup turned up another pre-cancerous mole that I've got to see the surgeon for. Better safe than sorry on this stuff though.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:48 am

Glad you hopped on your sister's suggestion.  With your upcoming vacation it would be easy to let go and then completely forget afterward.  

Your vaca sounds wonderful....as do you.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:37 am

Rig, I am glad that you are keeping on top of your skin checks too. It is better safe than sorry. Hopefully that mole reveal won't be too painful.

Pam, I am glad I did too and I am glad I got in so quickly. And I already schedule next years check.

Joanie, my mom used to say that as well usually followed with "but it beats the alternative".

Had problems falling asleep last night but slept hard once I did. More weird dreams. Slow start to my day but dishwasher unloaded, breakfast dishes done and first load of laundry going..

I was going to freeze my chicken broth but decided to make butternut chicken soup with warm autum spices instead. It really hit the spot after a few days of red meat. Some days a good bone broth is truly magical. Tonight should probably be seafood or fish.

Signed up for the fall and winter CSA, which means we will get local veggies through mid-February. Then there is the three month gap we have to work at getting our veggie fix. I love that many of the local farmers have been working together to expand the growing seasons in the Mid-Atlantic area. Some places have huge green houses while many of the smaller farms use hoops within high tunnels.

I did buy some cloches to try and keep my rosemary alive through the winter plus I planted an herb pot with roasemary, thyme, oregano and marjoram that will get moved inside. Plus I have my growing light shelf unit to grow micro greens and baby lettuce.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:33 pm

Pastrami as well as corned beef sound delish! Your vacation plans sound lovely, especially since Daisy can come along. Hope you all will have a fabulous time together. Smile

Need to keep an eye on the weather here too, and move some of the potted plants/herbs inside when the time comes, however at the moment it's raining...

Vh67 wrote:I was going to freeze my chicken broth but decided to make butternut chicken soup with warm autum spices instead. It really hit the spot after a few days of red meat. Some days a good bone broth is truly magical. Tonight should probably be seafood or fish.

Yes indeed it is. Very Happy Mixing things up menu wise is good, but from the pics it's obvious the two of you eat very well.

Hope you're doing well with the newly added supplements.

You've been through a lot (normally I would have added 'lately', but that's not really appropriate here Sad ). It's gonna take plenty of time, of grieving, of finding a way to deal with it all. Glad to hear your skin issues turned out to be benign and that you dealt with it immediately when you realized (then again, that seems to be your way with things). You're a very strong and resilient woman, V. *hugs*
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:02 pm

V I love the fact you can get a winter CSA there. Never heard of that. It will be so nice to have those fresh veg over the winter.

Great job getting in and checked. Glad it´s nothing to be concerned with.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 am

Lovebird, thank you for the wise and kind words!

NM, it is great we can do the winter CSA. I think it will be more of a trend as more small farmers share what their doing that works.

Been a very busy week! On the happy side, the kitchen remodel is moving forward quickly. The contractor came in yesterday and basically laid out the new kitchen with blue tape to make sure everything would fit as designed and would make sense. It is going to be both beautiful and functional! Black shaker cabinets, white quartz countertops, subway tile backsplash and plank tile floor. The house was built in the early 1950s, so that will maintaining the feel of the house.

I had also gotten a painter to do paint the exterior trim and a few other areas outside that needed it but he found a lot of lead paint. We are now going to replace the remaining windows that had not been previous replaced, which will encapsulate or remove the lead paint around those windows, encapsulate the trim on some of the other windows and replace the old side door on the garage. We will just have a couple windows to remove the lead paint from, which is very pricy, before repainting. One of the downsides of an older house.

Unfortunately last week, I had a bad waiter and none of my food came out right. It is a restaurant we eat at fairly often and I have never had a problem with them making my meals gluten and dairy free. I ate a small crouton before realizing my salad was wrong and I am still paying for it. Next time I will be rude and spit out my food, no matter now nice the restaurant is! Up until then, my supplements seemed to be helping and I am hoping this is not too much of a set back.

Today is going to be spent on doing prep for vacation and continuing on emptying the kitchen. And looking at the design pictures and blue tape to picture the new kitchen. At some point most of the tape will have to be removed but not yet!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:07 pm

V I can hear the excitement in your voice. So awesome the kitchen is underway.

Sorry about the old paint being lead. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as you think.

Yes, people who are not severely allergic just don’t get it about food. Add in that the Gluten free movement, while helping many, can also make those who have severe reactions to not be taken seriously. It’s a double edged sword, though it should not be.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:27 am

The kitchen sounds fab! Something for me to dream about, a custom kitchen. Years ago I cut a picture from a magazine, I still have it.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 am

You're going to love your new, custom kitchen! We built a new house two years ago and our main focus was on the kitchen. We cook and entertain and wanted a kitchen that was big, very organized, and really functional for us. We don't regret it for a minute.

You will definitely need to post before and after pics when it's done. I LOVE seeing kitchen photos!

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:45 pm

Oh yes, please post pictures!!! We are planning a remodel sometime in the next 5 years and I need a little encouragement to know that it truly can happen! Smile
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:26 pm

What fun to think about a new kitchen and then actually getting one.  

I watch those darn Live it or List it type shows.  I dream.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:44 am

I will try to figure out the photo thing so I can post my pictures. I tool lots of before pictures. When we get back from vacation, it will be a whirlwind week of picking out countertops, tile for the floor and back splash, faucets, sinks and appliances. Then I have to pack up the kitchen and laundry room. E is smart and traveling a lot in October and November. Our offical start date is October 25th, so everything has to be decided on by them and ordered so there are no delays.

We are on Chincoteague Island for the first leg of the vacation. We will go over to Assateague Island later today and hopefully see some wild ponies. Chincoteague was made famous by books about the wild pony roundups and swims across the channel between the islands. I remember reading them as a girl and always wanted to visit. So far it has been really nice and the weather is perfect! Fall is the best time to visit the beaches here, lots fewer people and slightly cooler temps which are nicer for walking along the beach.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Servimg is not very difficult to use, especially when you can link the cam/phone to your computer. You can check the 'how to' section as well for more info when needed.

While you're at it, I'd love to see some garden pics... Wink

E is smart and traveling a lot in October and November.

Can't blame him... then again... *fingers crossed* everything goes smoothly.

Love to visit places/events that I've read about too. Your holiday was planned well, a nice relaxed episode before all the hectic begins. It'll all be worth it though!
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:09 pm

I read the books, too as a young girl.  Some great stories about Misty and Star, if I remember correctly.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. The weather is perfect right now for those visits. Enjoy!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 am

Pedidoc wrote:I read the books, too as a young girl.  Some great stories about Misty and Star, if I remember correctly.

Oh yes!  I was always drawn to the illustrations in the book and then engulfed in the story.  How cool to visit the actual locations of the stories.

How exciting on the remodel. It will be fun to see your progress shots and stories.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:42 am

Your vacation sounds wonderful vh.  Glad you are experiencing such good times with your guy and Daisy.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Our vacation continues further up north at the B and B we got married at.  Chincoteague was great, except for the mosquitoes.  We were using almost pure Deet and I still got bit!  We had lots of good seafood but since potatoes and Lima beans were frequently the vegetables of the day, I was not getting my veggie fix.

Yesterday and today I have been making up for the lack of vegetables and feel better.  Of course, I have also been eating a lot of amazing gf and df baked goods.  This place has an amazing pastry chef and tea every afternoon with something special just for me.   I see a sugar detox in my future!

The weather has been a little warm for October but I am not complaining too much. Daisy has a tough time with the heat so we have been doing shorter walks/trips and then dropping her off to sleep before heading out again.  

We took a little ferry yesterday across a small bay.  The 10 minute ferry ride took off 40 minutes of driving.  it was my first ferry ride in a car and I was a little nervous. It seemed such a small boat to be able to carry 9 cars but it was fine.  

We have been eating our weight in fresh caught fish and seafood.  Tomorrow we will change it up a little and go to a little place down the road that has the best gf/df pizza that I have had to date!  Then it will be back to seafood, especially oysters and scallops!

We need to be rested because Monday starts our marathon of picking the stuff for the kitchen. E travels next week so we have to squeeze it in when he is home.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:35 pm

V- it all sounds so wonderful. I hope you continue to enjoy.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum