My renewal...

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: My renewal...

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 am

Yeah for the poke weed being gone.

Dinner sounds delish. Glad it’s a keeper.

Please stay safe with this storm. Not sure how much you will get, but it sounds like the impact is going to be quite wide.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:39 am

NM, Thank you! We are in central New Jersey so we should be ok. We might get some rain next week.

I am definitely starting to lose all the fluid I had been retaining. I don't mean to be indelicate but I am a peeing machine at the moment. I am not super low carb, just eating healthy food.

Despite having to get up to tinkle multiple time, I slept very well. I am still a little on California time so I have been sleeping in a little later. Daisy is not happy because when I get up, feeding her is the first thing I do so she is eating a little later.

Hoping to get a bushel or two of tomatoes this weekend. I found one place that had them at twice of what we paid last year. I am hoping to find some priced a little more reasonably. I guess I need to get back to calling the local farms in my search.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Remember all that rain we wished for not long ago? haha

You sound good Val.

Hope you find some cheap tomatoes
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Pam, no kidding on the rain! I am feeling pretty good. I am still working through all the family stuff, including selling the farm but life is mostly good!

No luck on the cheap or at least reasonably priced tomatoes. The weather this year has not been good for field tomatoes and no one I called are selling in bulk. On the plus side, I just picked five more large tomatoes off one of my plants and it is loaded with green tomatoes. Worst case, we can make sauce as they get ripe and then can the sauce once we get enough for a few pints. Plus we should get a couple pounds tomorrow from the Csa. Still have feelers for tomatoes but we will see..

Food today has been a little protein heavy. Lunch was a burger that was 50% chorizo and 50% lean beef on a bed of lettuce plus a bunch of homegrown cherry tomatoes. Tonight is date night so dinner will be sushi/sashimi with a salad. I will have a total of 1/2 cup of rice with it.

Not usually a fan of smoothies over "real" food as an everyday thing but I need to figure out something for breakfast. I can't eat eggs at the moment and most other traditional breakfast food other than meats are out too. Most days I also don't feel like leftovers or non-traditional breakfast foods. So I found a few smoothie recipes that I am going to try. Maybe I will be a convert!

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Hope all frost stays away and you get to harvest your own bounty. I have serious garden envy as I've mentioned before.

Last edited by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos!)
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:20 pm

M2M, I thought of you when I was in Nor Cal since it is so dry there too. I am lucky we have enough rain in NJ that we can keep things looking lush. NJ has a shorter growing season but more water. Everything this year is growing so well, even my weeds.

Good news! E stopped at a farmers market on his way home and found some tomatoes! Twenty five lbs for $20 is far more reasonable than a basket for $40! So tomorrow we can!

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm

We actually had an excellent monsoon, that at least brought us out of the "extreme drought" category. Can't fix years of reduced moisture with one summer of good rain of course. Sadly, California is far worse off.

Bonus points to E for finding a bargain. Enjoy!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Sorry Val, I don’t know why I thought you were in VA. Oops.

What a great find by E for the tomatoes. It will be good to have that all put up for winter months.

I’m with M2M - I hope the weather holds so you can harvest what is in your garden.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:06 am

vh68 wrote:So I found a few smoothie recipes that I am going to try. Maybe I will be a convert!

Please share when you do! Prefer real food too, but some days a smoothie (avo/coconut milk?) could make a nice treat.

Love your garden stories. Hope all goes well with the sale of your old home. Sad that an era has to come to an end. Glad you got to visit and show E around and that Daisy enjoyed her stay too.

The two of you sound like a match made in heaven, with your feet planted firmly on the ground. Smile Some people are simply meant to be together...

and we all deserve happiness & health.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 am

Yea on reasonably-priced tomatoes!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:55 am

We were also expecting to see some added rain from the hurricane, but the last I saw on it is that is only moving 3 mph. I think there is a good chance that it will run out of gas both with wind and rain before it moves very far inland. Also seems to have turned southward, Myrtle Beach was in the direct line of fire last night, still on the coast but south of landfall. But I feel for all those in the coastal areas of the Carolinas, they are really getting dumped on.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:36 am

Yes Rig we were supposed to get it too. Still calling for rain here early next week. We will see.

I know so many people in the Carolinas, praying for all of them and am waiting word on their safety when this is over.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:09 pm

NM, with everything that you have going on, I am surprised that you remember what state you are in!

I am sadden by all of the devastation I have seen so far and the lives lost.

LB, thank you! I am glad E and I found each other. It does feel like we were meant to be. At least most of the time! Laughing

I am so excited he scored those tomatoes!

First four pints of tomatoes are in the canner along with five pints of tomatillos. I have about 5-8 quarts of frozen tomatillos, cooked various ways, so we decided to can what will probably be the last of the CSA tomatillos and a few of my own.

Last time we were at the CSA almost two weeks ago, you could see the beginnings of the season change. Today it was obvious fall is here. The sunflowers are dead, the other flowers are slowing down and the beans, cherry tomatoes and tomatillos are probably done after today for the season. Our pick up today was mostly fall veggies with a few summer stragglers. Our pick-up today was butternut squash, potatoes, garlic, fresh onions, leeks, tomatoes, eggplant, beets with the greens (yay!),mini lettuce, several kinds of greens and dill. I am probably forgetting something. They had other things available as a choice instead of a couple things I got, like okra or eggplant but I love eggplant. This may be the last week of tomatoes and eggplant. They are preparing the tunnels to start the late fall/winter crops as well as harvesting the storage crops.

I almost forgot my corned beef at the back of the fridge! Tomorrow we will have corned beef and cabbage. I did an extra piece of meat for pastrami, which I will cover with a pepper mix tonight and smoke tomorrow. Since I will have the smoker going, I may also do a pork and lamb belly for later in the week. Tonight is roasted chicken with roasted carrots and eggplant. E has business dinners twice this week, so I should have plenty of leftovers for those meals.

I am glad that my garden stores are not too boring. I really do enjoy it. It makes me feel connected to my mom, who was an avid gardener. I am hoping that the first freeze holds off too since we got a late start due to weather this year. I have a few more tomatillos, lots of tomatoes, and a couple eggplants still going. Most of the beans may get pulled out this week to make room for the peas that we planted in the same bed. The peas are getting bigger and need to be trellised. And already we are making our plans for next year.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:44 pm

:::scamper, scamper::: I'm on my way!
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:33 am

V - everything sounds so wonderful. I remember days of canning. I loved doing that, and loved even more when I pulled things from the pantry in the dead of winter. For now my canning days are in the past. I don’t have the extended length of time to do those things. Hopefully someday I will get back to them. I love reading about yours. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:26 pm

j-you always have a room a room here!

NM - Canning is something I remember my mom and grandma doing and I am glad we are keeping the tradition going. Ripe canned tomatoes in January are so yummy!

Yesterday we canned 22 pints of tomatoes and five of tomatillos. I had a few more tomatoes left, which I am goin to run through the food mill and make sauce out of or a version of ketchup. But we all know real ketchup is from Heinz.

This morning we went to the state park for a walk. Daisy needs to work up to longer walks so we only walked about two miles. About a third of it was downhill on one of the unpaved trains which had a few downed trees to scamper over. She did a great job but was pretty beat when we were done. Now that it is cooler, we will be walking each day so she can go further and enjoy the walk.

When we got back, we spent some time pulling weeds before going out to REI for some new shoes. We are now back watching football, with the corned beef on the stove and the pastrami on the smoker. There are some good smells here! Sadly, we had no pork belly in the freezer, just lamb belly. I forgot we made the whole piece last time. But lamb belly is delish all by itself!

Still working on eliminating all sugar from my diet. Ordered a mix of lemonade and ice tea at lunch without thinking. But I am getting there. While I am not intentionally trying to be keto or low carb, it is mostly working out that way. Tomorrow will be my first breakfast smoothie.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm on the West Coast - but thinking of everyone to the East in the path of the storm.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Corned beef rounds turned out nicely, much leaner than brisket. Adding cardamom to the pickling spice really gave it a nice warmth. I corned two round roasts. The second was made into pastrami. I put the spice rub on on saturday. E smoked it yesterday and I steamed it today. It is yummy! It just needs some sauerkraut and Swiss cheese.

The painter came out and took measurements for all the exterior work we need done. The majority of the house is stone but the trim needs repainting. Hopefully the estimate is reasonable and they can do it quickly since I procrastinated. It needs to be done before winter.

We pulled carrots yesterday. They looked like real carrots! The raised beds on the side of the house are now cleared out. Not if we will plant scallions and or garlic in them next month or another raised bed. Our radishes and beets did not grow well at all.

Today we got hit with a little rain from Florence. I can't even complain in anyway as it was nothing compared to what others received. It will be rainy through tomorrow. The river is high too but not at all dangerous.. We are lucky.

My supplements came today. I am starting with one at a time just in case I react to one. I am doing the one that is supposed to heal leaky gut/intestinal lining first. Next will be paragard, which is supposed to get rid bad gut bugs and parasites. Last will be the digestive enzymes. Diet today has been spot on. I tried my first smoothie today. I need to add more fat to them since I was hungry at 11:00. .
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:15 am

Sounds like a very productive day yesterday. So happy the meat turned out well.

We too had some rain yesterday from Florence and like you nothing like those in the carolina’s or Virgina faced. We too were very blessed.

Great job with watching what you are eating.

Good plan with the supplements too.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 am

Cooking like you do for the meat I have never done.  Would not know where to start.  You are impressive.

I wonder if my rain tomorrow is a reflection of Florence.  As you said, we cannot complain.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Rainy, rainy day here.  I had to run out for sauerkraut for the pastrami we are having for dinner.  I also got Swiss cheese for E for dinner.  

Making chicken broth from the carcass of the roasted chicken we had Saturday.  Not sure what I will do with it, it might just get frozen.  

We go on vacation on the 28th for 10 days.  We are driving down to Chincoteague Island for three days, then up to our favorite B&B in the Chesapeake area for four days and we are taking the ferry from Ocean City to Cape May, NJ for three more days.  Daisy will be joining us as the places we will be staying are dog friendly.   I see lots of yummy oysters and seafood in our future!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:33 pm

I almost forgo! I am feeling a little impatient so I started the supplement to kill off bad bugs, viruses and yeast. I am starting off slowly since I read there can be die off symptoms. I am also increasing my fluids to flush out all the possible toxins related to the die off.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Enjoy your vacation. It's always so nice to get away.

As for the chicken stock...just freeze it. I made home-made dog food for our Chihuahua and it's often chicken or turkey. I always save the stock and freeze it in pucks. Then when I want to make soup or stew I have stock.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 pm

Sounds like a great vaca coming up. Do enjoy!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:30 am

Ontario-what do you use to make "pucks" of broth? That sounds intriguing!

I am too excited about our vacation! All the places we are staying have kitchens so I have researched where to get local seafood/veggies. It should be a wonderful trip!

Slept well last night. I have been having problems sleeping since I got back from California. When I am stressed or anxious , I have odd and sometimes terrifying dreams. It has been a problem since I was young. Over the years I have seen various people about it. Sleep meds make it worse but Ativan helps. With the deaths of two of my siblings and getting properties sold, I have been pretty anxious. It will get better. I had hoped that easing up on the caffeine would help but no luck.

Speaking of anxiety, I get to see the dermatologist today for a skin check! I need to do them annually because of my history with chemo and immunotherapy but I was a little slow getting it done this year. I mentioned having a new, slightly weird mole like thing on my chest to my sister yesterday and she demanded I get off the phone with her and make an appointment. They had a cancellation so they were able to get me in today. I am sure it is nothing since as I am getting older, weird bumps show up all the time and the doctor hasn't been concerned yet.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum