My renewal...

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

My renewal...

Post by Vh67 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 am

It has taken me a while to start a new journal. I have been doing a lot of lurking but not much posting, mostly because the last two months have been frustrating health wise and I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself. But no more!

A little background to start. I am a 50 year old woman living in Central New Jersey with my boyfriend Ekba (E) and our black lab Daisy. I met E on MDA. I don't really believe in soulmates but if I did, he would be mine. I work from home as a fraud analyst contracted out to various governmental entities. I enjoy it but it can be frustrating at times. I feel very grateful to be able to work from home because I get to wear yoga pants every day and Daisy is the perfect co-worker!

I am not going to bore everyone with my list of health issues and it just depresses me when I type them all out. Most significant of late are diverticulitis and a slow growing type of lymphoma called Follicular Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (FNHL). I also have a number of autoimmune issues, several that are triggered by things I eat or drink. I am dairy, gluten, legume, nut, and (mostly) seed free at this time. Crying or Very sad In November, side effects from my immunotherapy for the lymphoma and the diverticulitis converged, landing me in the hospital for six days. My white count was low and my neutrophils were at zero, which left me with no defense from infection. And I had a nasty intestinal infection. I was on antibiotics for over a month but my white/neutrophil count is back to normal and staying steady.

On a happy note, my last PET scan showed that the lymphoma in the lymphatic tissue at the base of my tongue is gone! Very Happy It also showed signs of inflammation in my large intestines along with a worrisome spot on or near my left adrenal gland. That spot is also where I have my most troublesome area of diverticulitis so, of course, I need further testing. Rolling Eyes

And on an even happier note, I have a plan to rebuild my health this year! On New Year's Day, E and I wrote out a list of goals, an action plan and metrics for determining the success of those goals. Can you tell someone is an engineer? My focus is healing my gut, losing fat, rebuilding muscle and regaining my stamina.

I have been eating easing back into low carb diet with lots of veggies, some fruit and starches and a decent amount of protein (90-120 grams). I am shooting for an average of 50 net grams of carbs over the course of a week and roughly 1500-1800 calories a day. I am adjusting my fat accordingly. I need to measure my food and calories because I can't rely on my hunger cues, my body lies! I find I need some fruits and starches to keep my gut happy but need to keep my carbs on the lower side to feel good and to control the symptoms of the lymphoma. My favorite starches, in limited amounts, are white rice, sweet potatoes and potatoes. My goal is not a weight goal but a size goal. Losing fat and gaining muscle is part of that goal. I was a size and half smaller two years ago but my weight was nearly the same. I want to get back to that size.

On stamina, my goal is to be able to hike a 20 mile segment of the Appalachian trail near us by the end of April, which is between our birthdays. That requires me to do some sort of cardio or stamina building exercise most days. Yesterday, because of the subzero wind chill, we walked four laps around a local mall as part of our date night. We stopped in the middle for dinner. This last week most of my exercise has been indoors because of the snow, wind and low temps but next week will be balmy, back up to the mid 20s to 40s Fahrenheit!

Here is to a happy and healthy 2018!

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My renewal...

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi V, I'm glad you decided to start a journal. I love your proactive approach towards your healing. I look forward to reading your journey told the desired "size."
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:05 pm

Hello V, I agree what Pedidoc said. Your approach seems good, I wish you success.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi V and welcome. Happy you started a journal as well. Sounds like a great approach to your goal as the others have said.

A few of us here are doing, just starting or about to start a W30 this month. So we will be with you in your starting approach for the most part.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:19 pm

So glad you are here, V! I'm a few days into my Whole30 and liking it very much - I've done it before. I'm also a bit more than a size up from 2015, and not liking that at all. I had so much more energy and stamina when I was carrying less weight.

Looking forward to your further adventures!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Nice to see you in a new journal, V. Happy wishes for a healing 2018.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:03 am

Hi V. Was hoping you would show up.

Glad to hear there are goals and plans. Sorry to hear the health struggles continue. We are all rooting for you!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Yea! Glad you have updated us. You've had more than your fair share of challenges of late, but you are so strong and determined. Wishing you better health, and with a plan, I am confident you will get there.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 am

Glad to see you here. I hope all your goals are achieved soon. Happy for you on your health victories. With your dedication, I'm sure you will achieve more.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Yay V! So glad to see you here.

Wishing you a healthy year.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:48 pm

I have been falling down with journaling! Work and life have been crazy busy. Not Pedidoc busy but V busy!

The big, happy news first: E and I are getting married at the end of March! It will be a small wedding at our favorite B and B. So the last few weeks have been planning that. It is going to be very casual. I found my dress on clearance online for $27 and I love it! It is tea length with a twirly skirt! It has a plum colored floral print. I also ordered plum wedding Keds! Yes, Kate Spade designed a line of wedding sneakers! Mine are sparkly with satin laces!

I have been very frustrated with my continued large intestine pain. I am still on meds for it. It is the result of my last diverticulitis attack. The colonoscopy was basically normal. One small polyp but everything was good. I have been experimenting with foods to see what helps and hurts. The biggest problems are raw vegetables, which were a big part of my diet. I am trying to make sure everything is well cooked but I miss my raw veggies. Hopefully, it will improve soon.

Off to get caught up!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Hey V!!! Glad you stopped and posted.

CONGRATULATIONS to you and E. A wedding is very happy news. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

A "basically normal colonoscopy" is also good news. Maybe less fibrous raw veggies first?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi V, congrats. What awesome news.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:14 am

FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm so happy for the both of you! Enjoy, Enjoy. Very Happy cheers
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:16 am

Been wondering where you were and hopeful that you both would return here.

Wonderful news on the wedding and your plans. The wedding colors are lovely...the sneakers something for fun.

Hope you find food that will work out okay for you.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:24 am

Congratulations to the two of you. Post a photo of the wedding, I want to see that wedding dress and shoes!
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Me too - love the notion of sparkly wedding keds!

So very happy for you, congrats!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:31 pm

So happy to hear of the upcoming wedding! How exciting! I hope you get the food trouble dialed in - trust me - I totally understand! Different problems - but same gut troubles.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Thank you everyone! We are pretty and excited!

I am doing an almost Whole30. When the intestinal pain gets bad, cream of rice helps calm things down, so I am going to reduce its frequency to just when I really need it. The pain is at the sites of last fall's diverticulitis. The GI says that some pain is normal but it should go away.

Work is still insanely busy. After we get married and I have insurance through E, I am going to look for something part-time, after I get some projects done. Maybe at one of the farm stands near here. It will be nice to get some of the projects done that we have not had the time to complete. And to not deal with state and federal bureaucracies!

Almost all the wedding plans are done. I am getting small wedding gifts for all our guests including chocolates from a local chocolate company that is divine and mugs from the Inn. I just need to find or make some cute gift bags for them.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:12 am

Congratulations on the wedding!! Very happy for you and your beau. Those gut irritations are no joke. I hope the inner pain subsides soon.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am

Looking forward to sharing the day via any pictures you chose to post.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:18 am

Ditto. Congratulations to the both of you!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16 am

My darling, v!

Best wishes to you and the future Mr. v!

I know I sort of fell off the planet around 2015, but I'm back now, and I'm so happy that you're happy. I love you

Please don't be a stranger here. And post pics if you want. Would love to see pics of the wedding, or at least the location, etc.

Love,
L (the former J)
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Yesterday we drove down to Maryland and got our marriage license!  It was a very fun drive, even if we had to leave at 6:30 a.m. to try and avoid horrible traffic through Philly.   Eastern Maryland is beautiful!  

Most everything is done now, which is good because work is brutal at the moment. The only thing that is making it bearable is I gave my notice!  My last day is April 3.  They were very grateful I gave three weeks notice.  Tnere some contracts that are ending and once that happens, they can move some of those folks to our contract but until then, we are very short handed.  I am trying my best to get my investigations in a good place before my last day but I am limited to my contract hours so we will see.  

I will try to post pictures of the wedding.  It is going to be a very simple ceremony and according to E, quick.  Then food and drink!  The Inn is doing most of the work, down to my bouquet, so it will be fun and relaxing for both of us. The Inn is beautiful and elegant. If you are ever in Eastern Maryland, you should check out the Brampton Inn.  They have amazing food and make me yummy gf and dairy free meals!  It is everything you dream a B and B should be.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:57 am

Such a calming scene. Thanks for the update and picture.

Giving notice is quite the achievement. Sorry that there is so much to tidy/finish up prior to the date you gave.

Marriage license..... you are really on your way. So happy for you V.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum